Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: For those why FO is cautious with spending in FA ?

  1. #1
    No riders allowed mommabilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,041
    Fist Bumps
    88
    My Posts Inspired:
    676 Fist Bumps in 437 Posts
    Rep Power
    84

    Default For those why FO is cautious with spending in FA ?

    Apparently the cap is not rising up this year or in 2013. Makes sense now why teams are not going ballistic in FA this year. Dansby needs to restructure and if Jake thinks he is going to get a mother load contract extension, he had better think again. All that extra big tv money seems to be mostly accounted for, already. I for one am glad those mega rookie contracts are a thing of the past.

    Never likes this guy Smith head of the NFLPA, grandstander at best. Apparently he laughed at the better deal. Players should vote his rear end out of office. Guy gives nothing but mouth service.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-pretty-good/
    http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

  2. #2
    Bringin' the Ruckus Killer Bees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,614
    Fist Bumps
    856
    My Posts Inspired:
    860 Fist Bumps in 502 Posts
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    You don't think the best Offensive Lineman in the league deserves a big contract?

  3. #3
    Boshosaurus Rex Alex44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, Florida
    Age
    24
    Posts
    17,241
    Fist Bumps
    2,889
    My Posts Inspired:
    7,551 Fist Bumps in 4,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    580

    Default

    Honestly? If you could replace long with an above average LT and use the money to acquire an impact player who actually touches the ball? I'd part ways with Long.
    The species: Boshosaurus rex (rex meaning "king" in Latin). The B. rex lived throughout what is now western North America, which then was an island continent named Laramidia. In the year 1984 scientists were able to use the DNA of the B.Rex to create a human dinosaur hybrid. He would be named Christopher Wesson Bosh. .

  4. #4
    Season Ticket Holder Da 'Fins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    13,144
    Fist Bumps
    6,957
    My Posts Inspired:
    6,421 Fist Bumps in 2,601 Posts
    Rep Power
    507

    Default

    Several teams have spent big with the cap where it is. They structured it in such a way so that they will take the bigger hits in the future - yet still offer guaranteed money.

    It's about ingenuity and manipulation. They simply chose not to go that route - either they didn't know how to manipulate the cap or they aren't willing to spend on the guys that are out there.

  5. #5
    Premium Member padre31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    inching to 100k posts
    Posts
    97,345
    Fist Bumps
    18,418
    My Posts Inspired:
    36,200 Fist Bumps in 20,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    2862

    Default

    Well that, and we have 12 million in dead money in Carey and Marshall.

    Or so it has been said, after last yr I find it difficult to trust our FO's cap numbers.

  6. #6
    No riders allowed mommabilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,041
    Fist Bumps
    88
    My Posts Inspired:
    676 Fist Bumps in 437 Posts
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSean View Post
    You don't think the best Offensive Lineman in the league deserves a big contract?
    I like Long but I do not think he is the best offensive lineman in the NFL. Lots of teams make the playoffs yearly with LTs that make far less then Jake Long makes. I think we have to see how he plays before they drop bank on him again. To be honest, I think the team is thinking the same thing, regardless of who the GM is.

    The love affair with 60 and 70 million dollar Left Tackles has ended.
    http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

  7. #7
    Insensitive to the Touch HardKoreXXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,448
    Fist Bumps
    6,237
    My Posts Inspired:
    14,082 Fist Bumps in 6,114 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommabilly View Post
    I like Long but I do not think he is the best offensive lineman in the NFL. Lots of teams make the playoffs yearly with LTs that make far less then Jake Long makes. I think we have to see how he plays before they drop bank on him again. To be honest, I think the team is thinking the same thing, regardless of who the GM is.

    The love affair with 60 and 70 million dollar Left Tackles has ended.
    So basically the Dolphins drafted a guy at #1 overall, knowing he'd be getting a big payday if he became great, and they should let him walk?


    "Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

  8. #8
    Rusty Smith is back! Silverphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,916
    Fist Bumps
    3,200
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,357 Fist Bumps in 1,213 Posts
    Rep Power
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommabilly View Post
    I like Long but I do not think he is the best offensive lineman in the NFL. Lots of teams make the playoffs yearly with LTs that make far less then Jake Long makes. I think we have to see how he plays before they drop bank on him again. To be honest, I think the team is thinking the same thing, regardless of who the GM is.

    The love affair with 60 and 70 million dollar Left Tackles has ended.
    Okay, I'll bite. Which LT's would you put over Long?

    Props L2G for the Sig and Gish (FAU) and HULKFish (Ronnie Brown) for the banners

    Proud parent of the Dolphins' Fourth Round Pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, OG Shawn Murphy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    We aren't apologists. We're just sick of hearing one player receiving all the blame.

  9. #9
    Premium Member padre31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    inching to 100k posts
    Posts
    97,345
    Fist Bumps
    18,418
    My Posts Inspired:
    36,200 Fist Bumps in 20,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    2862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverphin View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Which LT's would you put over Long?
    You could sign Demetrious Bell for cheap, get 85% of the performance and spend that 11 million on guys who score Td's.

    Or keep Td's from being scored.

  10. This Member gave padre31 a FIST BUMP for this post:


  11. #10
    Premium Member padre31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    inching to 100k posts
    Posts
    97,345
    Fist Bumps
    18,418
    My Posts Inspired:
    36,200 Fist Bumps in 20,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    2862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HardKoreXXX View Post
    So basically the Dolphins drafted a guy at #1 overall, knowing he'd be getting a big payday if he became great, and they should let him walk?
    Not neccessarily, but with the #1 overall guy we still finished 2nd in the NFL for most sacks allowed.

    We've had him 4 yrs, has the offense excelled?

  12. This Member gave padre31 a FIST BUMP for this post:


  13. #11
    Bringin' the Ruckus Killer Bees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,614
    Fist Bumps
    856
    My Posts Inspired:
    860 Fist Bumps in 502 Posts
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padre31 View Post
    Not neccessarily, but with the #1 overall guy we still finished 2nd in the NFL for most sacks allowed.

    We've had him 4 yrs, has the offense excelled?
    You really blame him for that? he has been the most consistent player on offense

  14. #12
    Rusty Smith is back! Silverphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,916
    Fist Bumps
    3,200
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,357 Fist Bumps in 1,213 Posts
    Rep Power
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padre31 View Post
    Not neccessarily, but with the #1 overall guy we still finished 2nd in the NFL for most sacks allowed.

    We've had him 4 yrs, has the offense excelled?
    Unless Jake Long has telekinetic powers on the level of Jean Grey, you can't pin all of those sacks on him.

    Props L2G for the Sig and Gish (FAU) and HULKFish (Ronnie Brown) for the banners

    Proud parent of the Dolphins' Fourth Round Pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, OG Shawn Murphy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    We aren't apologists. We're just sick of hearing one player receiving all the blame.

  15. #13
    Premium Member padre31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    inching to 100k posts
    Posts
    97,345
    Fist Bumps
    18,418
    My Posts Inspired:
    36,200 Fist Bumps in 20,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    2862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSean View Post
    You really blame him for that? he has been the most consistent player on offense
    "blame"?

    Or just observe?

    If the Parcells approach, has failed, then it requires a complete re-examination of everything that approach produced, and where does a 10 million dollar or more, LT fit into the roster/cap mix moving forwards? The "caution" in large part has been produced by overpaying offensive linemen, they kept handing out huge contracts, our performance did not noticeably improve, so why continue to do the same thing?

    To me, that is just simple prudence.

  16. #14
    Premium Member padre31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    inching to 100k posts
    Posts
    97,345
    Fist Bumps
    18,418
    My Posts Inspired:
    36,200 Fist Bumps in 20,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    2862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverphin View Post
    Unless Jake Long has telekinetic powers on the level of Jean Grey, you can't pin all of those sacks on him.
    He gave up his share, and that is not the "real" point per se, what that would be is look at the investment already made into the offensive line, look at how terrible it has been, does it make sense to continue to do things the same way?

    Basically our OL is manned by players who cannot move, we drafted that way, we signed FA's that way, do we continue to do things that way?

  17. #15
    Rusty Smith is back! Silverphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,916
    Fist Bumps
    3,200
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,357 Fist Bumps in 1,213 Posts
    Rep Power
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padre31 View Post
    You could sign Demetrious Bell for cheap, get 85% of the performance and spend that 11 million on guys who score Td's.

    Or keep Td's from being scored.
    Define 85%

    Props L2G for the Sig and Gish (FAU) and HULKFish (Ronnie Brown) for the banners

    Proud parent of the Dolphins' Fourth Round Pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, OG Shawn Murphy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    We aren't apologists. We're just sick of hearing one player receiving all the blame.

  18. #16
    Premium Member padre31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    inching to 100k posts
    Posts
    97,345
    Fist Bumps
    18,418
    My Posts Inspired:
    36,200 Fist Bumps in 20,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    2862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverphin View Post
    Define 85%
    He gave up close to the same amount of sacks Long did, however is not the drive blocker Jake is, do you sign him for say, 6 million? Or pay Big Jake? New scheme is more about movement.

    No money for FA's, guess what that means we will doing during Draft Weekend this yr?

    And no worries Mr C will be along with the stats from PFF..

  19. #17
    Rusty Smith is back! Silverphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,916
    Fist Bumps
    3,200
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,357 Fist Bumps in 1,213 Posts
    Rep Power
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padre31 View Post
    He gave up his share, and that is not the "real" point per se, what that would be is look at the investment already made into the offensive line, look at how terrible it has been, does it make sense to continue to do things the same way?

    Basically our OL is manned by players who cannot move, we drafted that way, we signed FA's that way, do we continue to do things that way?
    I never advocated drafting the same way over and over again. I just don't advocate letting Jake Long walk.

    Props L2G for the Sig and Gish (FAU) and HULKFish (Ronnie Brown) for the banners

    Proud parent of the Dolphins' Fourth Round Pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, OG Shawn Murphy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    We aren't apologists. We're just sick of hearing one player receiving all the blame.

  20. #18
    Rusty Smith is back! Silverphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,916
    Fist Bumps
    3,200
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,357 Fist Bumps in 1,213 Posts
    Rep Power
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padre31 View Post
    He gave up close to the same amount of sacks Long did, however is not the drive blocker Jake is, do you sign him for say, 6 million? Or pay Big Jake? New scheme is more about movement.

    No money for FA's, guess what that means we will doing during Draft Weekend this yr?
    Which I'm glad for. I've been wanting to draft a RT this year anyway.

    Props L2G for the Sig and Gish (FAU) and HULKFish (Ronnie Brown) for the banners

    Proud parent of the Dolphins' Fourth Round Pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, OG Shawn Murphy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    We aren't apologists. We're just sick of hearing one player receiving all the blame.

  21. #19
    Bringin' the Ruckus Killer Bees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,614
    Fist Bumps
    856
    My Posts Inspired:
    860 Fist Bumps in 502 Posts
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padre31 View Post
    "blame"?

    Or just observe?

    If the Parcells approach, has failed, then it requires a complete re-examination of everything that approach produced, and where does a 10 million dollar or more, LT fit into the roster/cap mix moving forwards? The "caution" in large part has been produced by overpaying offensive linemen, they kept handing out huge contracts, our performance did not noticeably improve, so why continue to do the same thing?

    To me, that is just simple prudence.
    I agree, but I don't think Jake is one of those problems and is deserving of that money, how many LT's in the game can eliminate a teams best pass rusher, and give a your young QB one less worry preparing for game day.

  22. This Member gave Killer Bees a FIST BUMP for this post:


  23. #20
    Premium Member padre31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    inching to 100k posts
    Posts
    97,345
    Fist Bumps
    18,418
    My Posts Inspired:
    36,200 Fist Bumps in 20,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    2862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSean View Post
    I agree, but I don't think Jake is one of those problems and is deserving of that money, how many LT's in the game can eliminate a teams best pass rusher, and give a your young QB one less worry preparing for game day.
    Here is the thing, the old school "base 4-3, my best pass rusher vs your LT" is sort of a thing of the past now, Defenses tend to use more blitz packages or simply put their best passrusher over the RT, who is generally not as athletic. Or they have 2 elite passrushers etc.

    Making your 12 million dollar LT..somewhat useless, the idea behind the dominant LT is "protects the Qb's blind side", BUT with the blitz packages and the likelihood that your RT cannot block their best passrusher all game?

  24. This Member gave padre31 a FIST BUMP for this post:


Similar Threads

  1. Mandatory Spending
    By jdang307 in forum Political Forum (POFO)
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 10:45 PM
  2. More Spending....WTF
    By 2socks in forum Economics and Financials
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 02:55 PM
  3. Obama Criticized as Too Cautious, Slow on Judicial Posts
    By Jimmy James in forum Political Forum (POFO)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 06:42 PM
  4. Gallup: 59% say Obama spending too much
    By Zach13 in forum Political Forum (POFO)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 10:35 AM
  5. For Dolphins minicamp perspective requires cautious optimism
    By ATVZ400 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 08:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •