I drink your milkshake! Dol-Fan Dupree's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    11,485 Fist Bumps in 6,203 Posts

Default Everything Joe Philbin Told the Media

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...the-media.html

Also DUH, it is all coach speak. It is really freaking long

Here is what he said about free agency

(On bringing in the right players you want from free agency) - Yeah, when we entered free agency, when we entered the offseason, we identified some priorities in terms of positions we felt that needed to be upgraded whether it would be free agency, the draft, college free agency somehow, someway. Just like the college recruiting process you identify some prospects. You go after them. People make decisions for a variety of reasons and were happy that Paul Soliai decided to resign back with us. We identified the cornerback position as one that was important. Were excited about Richard Marshall, I think hes going to add something. Artis Hicks is a veteran that we think is going to give us some versatility in the offensive line. David Garrard came in and had an excellent workout. Obviously, some players made decision to go elsewhere in the course of our meetings when they were here with us I thought we had productive, excellent meetings. And sometimes those things work out and sometimes both parties have to want to dance. Those things happen. (On any areas that concern you right now) - Im concern about everything, but I think its important that we get on the field with these guys in the offseason program to have a better hand. Weve watched a lot of tape. Weve identified some areas that need to get better and Im confident that well do that. But when I came for the interview one of the things I told Steve (Stephen Ross) and Jeff (Ireland) was there been a ton of focus and I mentioned it to you guys as well, on the quarterback position as it should be in this league and my feeling as I watched the tape the offensive line needs to get better if our quarterback position is going to play better and so thats going to be a priority. And we have to make sure that happens as we move forward.

Consume Me Asteroids Champion Valentine'em Champion Try To Escape Champion The Wizard's Boxes Champion Funny Sheep Champion Traffic City Champion ASCIIvader Champion Egg Drop Champion Asteroescape Champion car game, don't drink Champion The Platforms Game Champion Pair Mania - Japanese 3 Champion Pair Mania - Japanese 4 Champion Jorinapeka Champion Pair Mania - Japanese Champion FLIXED BALL Champion Jennifer Rose: Restaurant Love Champion Aqua4Ever04's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    14,420 Fist Bumps in 6,584 Posts

Sign Hicks and Scott, let the best three out of Hicks, Scott, Murtha, Incognito, Cook start alongside Pouncey and Long, draft Ryan Tannehill and have him sit behind Matt Moore. Walah!
    Week NINE picks against the spread just added!
    TOUCHDOWN!...CHAMBERS!

3. This Member gave Aqua4Ever04 a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    8,336 Fist Bumps in 4,795 Posts
    Blog Entries

Matt Moore (this goes for Garrard too if he wins the job somehow) is going to shock a lot of people this season with his play in this system, especially if we upgrade the line.
    The species: Boshosaurus rex (rex meaning "king" in Latin). The B. rex lived throughout what is now western North America, which then was an island continent named Laramidia. In the year 1984 scientists were able to use the DNA of the B.Rex to create a human dinosaur hybrid. He would be named Christopher Wesson Bosh. .

5. These 2 users offered FIST BUMPS to Alex44 for a solid post:

Season Ticket Holder Yetanotherfan's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    53 Fist Bumps in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex44 View Post
    Matt Moore (this goes for Garrard too if he wins the job somehow) is going to shock a lot of people this season with his play in this system, especially if we upgrade the line.
    Gonna reserve that statement till after the draft Alex. As of now, he has no one of consequence to throw to. Bess, hartline, gates are not helping anyone except maybe brady . I get where your coming from though.
    The Big MIA !

Season Ticket Holder Yetanotherfan's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    53 Fist Bumps in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FreeStyle View Post
    Dolphins coach Joe Philbin made it clear Tuesday that Richard Marshall will play cornerback in Miami.
    Marshall played quite a bit of free safety last season in Arizona, but he will compete for a starting job at corner with the Fins. RCB Sean Smith should consider himself on notice. For now, the Dolphins plan to let Chris Clemons, Reshad Jones, and Tyrone Culver battle it out for the two safety positions.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/mia/miami-dolphins
    I was hoping he would compete at safety. That's where he made plays if I recall. Dude got exposed by an aging Boldin when he was at corner I believe.
    The Big MIA !

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    1,302 Fist Bumps in 729 Posts

Hope so. That would be a wonderful surprise if it happens.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    1,302 Fist Bumps in 729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FreeStyle View Post
    Dolphins coach Joe Philbin made it clear Tuesday that Richard Marshall will play cornerback in Miami.
    Marshall played quite a bit of free safety last season in Arizona, but he will compete for a starting job at corner with the Fins. RCB Sean Smith should consider himself on notice. For now, the Dolphins plan to let Chris Clemons, Reshad Jones, and Tyrone Culver battle it out for the two safety positions.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/mia/miami-dolphins

10. This Member gave 54Fins a FIST BUMP for this post:

Senior Member Animondos' Horror Gallery Champion Ataka Champion Whack a Diglet Champion Galaxy Shooter Champion Madpet Carsurfing Champion Typing Arcaniod Champion Mage Arena 2 Champion BattlePaint Champion TriBall Champion Smash and Dash 2: The Amazon Jungle Champion Alien Symbols Champion Rouk's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    535 Fist Bumps in 279 Posts

so we wanted Flynn and he said no thanks sounds about right

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    5,172 Fist Bumps in 2,566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rouk View Post
    we said no thanks to his asking price
    My job right now is to push him," said Lazor, who was Nick Foles' QBs coach last year. "Ive got to make it very hard for him out here on the practice field. I heard a rumor that some people reported that weve made it hard for him on the field. Thats on purpose. Thats how you build a quarterback, and hes coming."

13. This Member gave Alex13 a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    1,075 Fist Bumps in 555 Posts

All the stuff I've read that has slowly come out after the big media to-do on this has suggested that Miami wasn't looking for Flynn as a set starter. They wanted to have him compete with Moore and didn't feel he was the final answer at QB. I'm personally A-OK with that if that's what your talent eval suggest. No sense at throwing money at him just because the fan base wants the QB hunt solved today if you don't feel like he's the guy.

15. These 3 users offered FIST BUMPS to SeanP for a solid post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yetanotherfan View Post
    Gonna reserve that statement till after the draft Alex. As of now, he has no one of consequence to throw to. Bess, hartline, gates are not helping anyone except maybe brady . I get where your coming from though.
    Even though I'm hoping we add some more offensive weapons (Fleener at TE would be better than any WR not named Blackmon in my opinion) I think the beauty of the style of offense Philbin runs is that the ability to get open quickly is more important than the ability to get open the way you would in a more vertical based offense like what we ran last season (or tried to anyway). Bess and Hartline could be great #2 and #3 targets in this system so if we can add just one more receiving threat I think we can be pretty successful.
    The species: Boshosaurus rex (rex meaning "king" in Latin). The B. rex lived throughout what is now western North America, which then was an island continent named Laramidia. In the year 1984 scientists were able to use the DNA of the B.Rex to create a human dinosaur hybrid. He would be named Christopher Wesson Bosh. .

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    19,663 Fist Bumps in 9,146 Posts

Your mouth to God's ears.

"Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lmeister3 View Post
    Your mouth to God's ears.

My mouth to my ears?

KIDDING. Before anyone gets offended

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    19,663 Fist Bumps in 9,146 Posts

Lips

"Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

Got my back to the wall Rocky Raccoon's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    12,387 Fist Bumps in 4,861 Posts

I love listening to Philbin talk. The man just knows what he's talking about. Very confident, passionate and calm. Love it.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,090 Fist Bumps in 976 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why would Flynn come here when he can compete against T Jackson for a starting job for more money?

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. ~ John Wooden

22. This Member gave smahtaz a FIST BUMP for this post:

Banned
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    7,810 Fist Bumps in 4,341 Posts

We wouldn't have brought him in if we didn't "want him" to some extent. To clarify, being "aggressive" doesn't mean "we think he's the answer". A team can be aggressive in bringing in a player they feel will compete with a current player for the starting job, realizing that any upgrade is still an upgrade especially at the most important position.

The contract and its duration is a better representation of how he was perceived. The Seahawks were aggressive enough to offer Flynn a mild 3 year $28.0M contract, but that's not to be confused with the same "aggressiveness" involved with either Denver paying 98.0M for Manning or Arizona paying 63.0M + Cromartie + 2nd rounder for Kolb.

24. These 2 users offered FIST BUMPS to ToddsPhins for a solid post:

Banned
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    7,810 Fist Bumps in 4,341 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smahtaz View Post
    Why would Flynn come here when he can compete against T Jackson for a starting job for more money?
    What's it say about Flynn if he hypothetically did choose the Seahawks b/c he believed it his best chance to start?

Perhaps that's why Philbin is deflecting this onto Flynn with the "ask Flynn why he chose Seattle" comment. If Flynn chose Seattle for this reason (which he'd be dumb to admit to), then it's possible to deduce his meeting in Miami led him to believe he'd have greater competition from Moore and might not be readily handed the starting job in Miami.

Long Haired Leaping Gnome RevRick's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,497 Fist Bumps in 1,061 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan Dupree View Post
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...the-media.html

Also DUH, it is all coach speak. It is really freaking long

Here is what he said about free agency
    And you really expect him to lay out for everyone exactly what happens in planning sessions, what their thoughts are about who they wish to pick up in free agency and in the draft, and fully explicate every reason they did not do what the majority of the wannabe GM's on the board absolutely knew/know/have known what the correct moves are. Try talking to someone who has an actual high level security clearance - what you would get for answers, if they chose to speak and not just stare at you like you are a bug on a fly swatter, is a terse "No comment."

My Lady chasing gafinfan's lady's cousins - usually Rosie and Sara!
    All Ahead Flank and don't fall over the fantail!!!

Long Haired Leaping Gnome RevRick's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,497 Fist Bumps in 1,061 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smahtaz View Post
    If he competes at all..
    "C'mon, Matt. You can beat this guy out. Don't sweat it. And, oh, don't say anything about this!"

My Lady chasing gafinfan's lady's cousins - usually Rosie and Sara!
    All Ahead Flank and don't fall over the fantail!!!