1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Fisher's thoughts on Ireland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...ticism-of-miami-dolphins-gm-jeff-ireland.html

Take it for what it's worth, but I thought it was interesting considering so many seem to think Ireland is viewed as a joke around the league.

Moves, Boik14, siciliansith and 21 others like this.
  2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I find it interesting considering that many people thought he was the reason Fisher did not come here.

DolfanTom likes this.
  3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yup, that too.

4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Ohio Fanatic and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Bulldog and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Given the opinion some of you have very publicly shared on Jeff Fisher, I'm surprised you would place any stock in what he thinks of our GM.

7. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    What do people think fisher would say when he was cornered by Mike Berardino at the Owner's Meetings?

"I think Ireland is a complete fool and Ross is a rich clown, but I liked the helicopter ride and stone crabs"?

This might be fisher's actual thoughts, but at the end of the day he picked someplace else. Just like Harbaugh and Manning

8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    More like we put stock in what he thought of that situation and how it was much different than what was played out in the media and by a lot of people here.

Bulldog and Fin D like this.
  9. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    There's a significant different between "not bashing" and laying on the complements.

sports24/7, Bulldog and Fin D like this.
  10. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Again, the people who don't like Ireland will scream conspiracy. The people who are neutral/for Ireland will consider this positive evidence. Nothing changes. Folks have pretty much drawn a line in the sand over what they feel and nothing is likely to change their opinions aside from W/Ls.

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Actually it's more like, "but at the end of the day he picked someplace else, because they would give him management say and we wouldn't."

Not similar to Harbaugh staying in SF or us not willing to pay up for Manning.

Bulldog likes this.
  12. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    as opposed to "anonymous" sources, and jilted football players. Quite convenient now you are being so skeptical don't you think?

Ozzy, USArmyFinFan, Bumrush and 7 others like this.
  13. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Why didn't Fisher come here?

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Well Jeff Fisher is no Channing Crowder. What the hell could he know that CC doesn't?

15. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    The flip side to that is taking what Joey Porter says as gospel or the continued reporting that Ireland asked if DB's mom was a prostitute out of context. ANd this is why I take anything written with a grain of salt. It either is from a "source" who know just a little more than me, is conjucture or is going to be interpreted as any of us see fit.

Ozzy and gafinfan like this.
  16. PhinishLine

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    - 2nd Overall Pick (flipped into a Kings Ransom)
    - Easier Division
    - No ??? at QB.

Not a hard decision to make.

17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't completely agree because I'm not going to scream conspiracy even though I don't like Ireland. But you're spot on about nobody's feelings are going to change. At least not until if / when he's fired. Take a look at the Sparano thread now to see what people will think of him then.

18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You think Bradford is already a home-run?

Def disagree.

19. PhinishLine

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Not my personal opinion. I wouldn't touch Bradford. But I'd like to think Bradford is more set in stone than Matt Moore and Chad Henne (FA at the time). From Fisher's perspective, that is probably a plus.

20. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Not really. Bill Bellicheck does it every week when discussing his upcoming opponent. Even if they suck, he'll lay it on thick about how tough of an opponent the team is. This quote from Fisher is just as meaningless. He's not gonna say, "I didn't pick Miami cause Ireland and Ross are idiots". Might as well pay them a compliment, they drove up his asking price!!!

21. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Eh I wouldn't go that far. They NEEDED that ransom as they are one of the most talentless teams in the whole league. They are much further from being a contender than we are.

Division is an acceptable argument, though the Rams are CLEARLY the worst of that bunch, and the rest of the division is improving fast. Harbaugh has a good chance to make the Niners into a perennial contender. In the AFC East the Pats are clearly on top, but the other 3 are a toss up.

Bradford had a great rookie year, but was godawful last year. Fisher better hope he didn't get David Carr syndrome, and he still has very few offensive weapons and a not very good line.

I would think the deciding factor was control. Ireland wasn't going to give any up, the Rams offered, he took it.

Ultimately, who cares anymore. It's clear Ireland will get through the draft and unless we have another 0-7 start he likely will make it through the season easily. Don't really see the point of new threads at this juncture.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Fisher could have easily said, "No comment."

smahtaz likes this.
  23. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    When you consider how much money they're paying Bradford compared to Moore's contract, it doesn't look like an easy decision to say the least.

Would depend more on what he personally thought of each QB, which we don't know.

24. PhinishLine

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    No doubt. I'm merely creating a hypothesis based off of the actions Jeff Fisher has taken.

25. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Paying attention to Jeff Fisher's comments over the years, I don't think the Belicheck comparison has any validity. I do agree he's not going to bash Ireland and Ross, but I don't think he's going to laud comments upon them if there's nothing there.

The_Dark_Knight likes this.
  26. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    He picked someplace else or the Dolphins didn't pick him?

27. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I don't think Fisher not coming to Miami because of Ireland far fetched even if Fisher does respect Ireland. If Fisher wanted complete control of player personnel he would have turned down Miami for more authority elsewhere. It came out during his search for a new team that he had had a conflict in Tennessee because he did not want to draft Vince Young and his opinion was ignored. I wouldn't discard his comments as false or lies as he could have liked both Ireland and Ross but just didn't see it as the opportunity he desired. IMO he didn't come to Miami because of Jeff Ireland but not because he didn't like Ireland or Ross he just didn't like not getting the authority he wanted.

WharfRat and RevRick like this.
  28. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The proof is in the pudding bro.

Harbaugh, Fisher and Manning all went to another team, and I'm sure all would say great thing about Ross and Ireland if prompted.

The only cure for what ails this team is winning, and they better start quickly.

29. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I agree with this 110%. Jeff Fisher over the years has shown himself to be a pretty stand up and respectful guy to everyone in the league. If he really thought Miami was THAT assed up, I can almost guarantee you he would have said words to the effect of, "I think they have good club down there and are trying to do some pretty good things". Respectful, polite and absent lauditary compliments...the way Jeff Fisher is, but he didn't...he offered actual PRAISE.

As much as I wanted Fisher, I feel he took the St Louis job because of the overall situation there. He just hit the Powerball of a draft trade, isn't a quarterback reliable type coach so Bradford will fit his mold and saw the potential to mold a defense in his image in an easier division.

30. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I guess most don't remember when Fisher put on the Manning jersey and told everyone he wanted to know what it's like to be a winner? The guy hasn't and wouldn't hold back if he had something to say. It's just that his something to say was nothing but praise for the Dolphin's FO. The CLB don't like that...

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  31. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012

That's your proof? That "proof" wouldn't hold up in even the most corrupt courts of law.

32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    That doesn't smell like pudding.

Ohio Fanatic and Bulldog like this.
  33. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    When I was in the army, I would sometimes have discussions about what was my opinion on soldiers going AWOL. I would simply say, this is an al volunteer force. No one forced you to enlist. No one held a gun to your head and said sign up, so if you don't want to be here, then I don't want you here. Get out. Leave, because I don't want to have to deal with someone who doesn't want to be here.

That same mindset goes with players and coaches we covet. They're being offered an opportunity, to either be a head coach in the National Football League or the opportunity to be the starting quarterback of a team that wants you...but if you don't want to be here, then fine, get out...leave...go somewhere else because I don't want to have someone here who really doesn't want to be here!!

Schmoo, if you absolutely think Joe Philbin and HIS coaching staff are *** clowns, then nothing said here is going to sway your mindset one way or the other. Other than Peyton Manning, Philbin got the players he wanted and if your ability to assess talent is so much better than Philbin's or Ireland's, submit your resume to Miami Dolphins Team Headquarters.

Somehow, I don't think you'll receive a phone call. :no:

WharfRat and Bulldog like this.
  34. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ah yes, the Juggernaut Elite Franchise that is, the St. Louis Rams. They're practically the Patriots minus Tom Brady.

35. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Because he wants to run the show. He certainly doesn't want an owner or GM hanging over him.

If you had the choice between a job where you essentially have no boss, and one where you have a boss, which would you choose?

36. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I agree with that sentiment, but you have to ask yourself, "Why don't these players/coaches want to be here?"

That's a pretty pertinent piece of information.

37. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    They've had a lot better decade than the Dolphins.

38. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Do we know for sure that's the reason? Also, who says Jeff Ireland and Steve Ross are better football decision makers than Jeff Fisher?

39. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They've averaged 3 wins a year the last 5 years.

40. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    We don't know for sure, but its only logical. It would take a lot to convince me to choose a boss over not having a boss.

And in regards to who is a better decision maker, I think thats a completely different argument. Whether a HC should have total control or not is a pretty widely debated issue, but I think the evidence points against it.