1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ross speech at Owners meeting

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Mar 26, 2012.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Onehondo and Fin D like this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I loved when he said nothing ventured is nothing gained. It's pretty much my opinion on things. Yes it looks bad to go after people and miss, but it is worse to not go after them at all and miss out.

3. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Damn, does Ireland always look constipated? I swear every time I see him in an interview he looks like he is holding in so much **** that if he took a deep breath he would explode like a geyser!

And he always licks/sucks/bits his upper lip... weird.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Thanks for sharing.

2k5, Sleepy, Onehondo and 4 others like this.
  5. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Onehondo and smahtaz like this.
  6. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
  7. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Ross, "I haven't lost at many things, and I don't plan on losing here."

Such a gangsta quote.

8. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Ireland views Marshall as a CB... He said we had some issues in the secondary and addressed that by getting a CB. I wonder if this means Sean Smith will play FS?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Was really hoping for Marshall at FS.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

dolfan7171 likes this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    This is probably the best interview I have seen from Ross

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not sure Smith would work out at FS. Not aggressive enough.

But I also think he's a better corner than people give him credit for.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I wish Smith made more plays and stopped more passes.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  14. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Just now watching the interview, I heard Jeff Ireland say something that I think was REALLY intriguing

We sit and debate about this player and that player...about this quarterback and that quarterback but this quote I find REALLY intriguing and makes me ask, are we wanting a different person playing quarterback or are we wanting the play of the quarterback to be better?

I don't know, maybe it's the soldier in me and the years I've had leading and training soldiers to make them better than they were, but that quote right there really tells me all I need to know. Miami doesn't really care "who" is playing quarterback...if you're playing at the level we need to win, then you're the man! Think about it, just how motivating of a factor is that for a quarterback, to know that you actually have a legitimate shot at being the starting quarterback?

The more I take a step back and look at the entirety of this offseason, the more excited I really am. I've become a fan of Matt Moore. That's no secret. It didn't take long to sell me on him.

And last season, Moore had the highest QB rating of ANY quarterback in the league for 3 out of 4 weeks. I don't think we've ever had a quarterback accomplish that feat.

Now Matt Moore will have the same coaching staff that brought you Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn to work with during the offseason. That can only elevate his game even further.

And if David Garrard can out play Matt Moore???? Holy Christ, that's even better!!!!

It's not the quarterback...it is the level of play of the quarterback that's going to make us win and I can't wait to see what happens next season! :up:

gunn34, RevRick, WharfRat and 6 others like this.
  15. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm a little disturb that you notice that. :up:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  16. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    [​IMG]

dolfan7171 and unluckyluciano like this.
  17. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    The only problem with this statement is the fact that its a pre-draft interview. Ireland won't tip his hat to anyone in that regard. If you listen to Mike Dee's interview he mentions possibly getting a QB in the draft... Its misinformation time now.

Also if you get all the pieces together EXCEPT a QB, you are pretty much screwed because you will be picking too late in the draft to get a great QB. This is the position we have been in for the last few years... We are too good to get a top QB, yet too bad to be relevant. I think its easier to get a OT, even a LT in the middle of the first and a QB, so I would always go QB if you had the shot.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  18. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    i dont know how people think matt moore can make a deep playoff run. stupid?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  19. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Adversity is the friend of a champion and an enemy of the weak....I like that one Ireland

20. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I love how the guy from Fox sports news goes "and Jeff what is that plan" hahaha ridiculous

dolfan7171 likes this.
  21. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    but he sure knows how to break our hearts (SFL Bandwagoneers).

dolfan7171 likes this.
  22. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Hate to disagree, but it is the QB. While Moore played well against the other mediocre teams on the Dolphins schedule. He played like the backup he truly is in the games he played against the better teams in the league. I do agree that it is the level of play which should be the deciding factor. I just don't see Moore or Garrard being the type of QB's who can sustain a high level of play, game after game over the course of an entire season.

If you are happy with the Dolphins once again finishing 7-9 or 6-10, Moore and Garrard are the QB's you want. If you actually want to have a team which can contend for the playoffs on a consistent basis, an upgrade at the QB position is definitely needed. I went into this off season feeling that the biggest need on this team was at the QB position. Nothing they have done so far at this position has changed my opinion.

Unfortunately I just don't see an upgrade with any of the QB's in this years draft since the Dolphins have no chance of drafting Luck or RG3. It looks to me that the Dolphins will stuck with Moore and Garrard this season and the hope that they can somehow do whatever is necessary in an effort to move up and draft Matt Barkley in the 2013 draft.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  23. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Didn't see the whole thing, but he did seem more comfortable at the mic.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  24. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I for one find his honesty refreshing

dolfan7171 likes this.
  25. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Hmmm, I don't know how ANYONE could have expected Drew Brees to make a deep playoff run with the San Diego Chargers. I mean, in 2002 he posted a mediocre 8-8 record, in 2003 he was replaced by Doug Flutie which resulted in a dismal 4-12 record. No WAY Drew Brees could take the San Diego Chargers to the playoffs...oh wait, yea he did, posting a 12-4 regular season record.

Where's Drew Brees now? Oh yea, in New Orleans...a Super Bowl Champion.

Matt Moore played 3/4 of a season with the Dolphins, with no OTA's, limited practice and still posted better QB ratings for 3 of 4 weeks than any of the elite quarterbacks in the league.

With the coaching staff we have now??? Give Moore a chance and I really think at the end of the 2012 season, there's going to be ALOT of humble pie served to the naysayers.

dolfan7171 and gunn34 like this.
  26. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I have to assume you're one of those who subscribe to the theory of the coaching staff doesn't mean jack, huh?

You saw that with the same medicore quarterback they had for the last 3 or so years, Jim Harbaugh took the San Francisco 49ers to the NFC Championship....didn't you??

dolfan7171 and slickj101 like this.
  27. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    too many replays in slow motion......

dolfan7171 likes this.
  28. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    A lot of typical PR BS in this interview IMO. Didn't seem like there was a lot of substance. They dodged all the key questions, specifically Brandon Marshall. They said "We feel good about the QB position." Same old rhetoric. The did however use the word "transparent" many times. A lot of people said the protest was stupid, but it does appear as thought it's done some good, as Ross has said wants to be more open. As if he wants to get away from the Parcells-like secrecy that the fans (rightly so) hate so much.

It's so extremely uncomfortable watching these guys talk. It's like a bad 80's sitcom where one of the characters does something wrong and you get that awkward nervous feeling. You know the one.

Philbin, while boring, is a much better speaker. You get the feeling he knows what he's talking about, and is genuine. (He spoke this morning)

dolfan7171 likes this.
  29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    FTR, they made a significant attempt to be more transparent and open after Philbin was hired and way before the protest, when they did their media tour. Even the reporters were saying how that never happened before. I don't know how smart it is to be completely open now that misdirection and ploys are part of the offseason. All the *****ing has done is to make PCs like this, which people who are already pissed, don't buy into and call bs on anyway.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  30. Juston

Juston New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    I have a question, for those who say that a QB is a QB regardless of coaching. What if it was Sparano, in some weird alternative universe, was the one who was coaching Brady, Rodgers, or Brees at the time when they got their first starts? And stayed with them for a few years. Would they still be elite? Or as elite as they are?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  31. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You don't have to be COMPLETELY open, but don't openly lie to our faces either. I honestly don't believe it was the secrecy that pissed most people off. I think it was the secrecy just for the sake of being secretive in conjunction with not winning that's pissed people off. And yeah, we've heard them say they're gonna be transparent before, then they turn around and give interviews where they dodge all the questions and you come away with nothing. I heard Jeff Ireland's radio interviews. You or I could've given as much info. as he did just based off what we've read on the internet.

And c'mon "We feel good about the QB position"? To say that, you're either a liar or you're incompetent. And yeah, I'm already pissed about 7-9, 7-9 and 6-10, so to say something like that is gonna keep me pissed.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  32. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    A day after watching the video clip only one thing still resonates with me, and I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing. It was funny, because when I first watched the clip it only slightly interested me, now a full day later I keep tossing it around in my head.

Ross was talking about Philban, saying how he gets "it." "It" referring to the fact that if the Dolphins win and the fans do not feel connected to the team, than it's not really the same. The Dolphins need to win and have a connection with the fans to truly win. Saying how Philban understands both sides of the NFL, the football said and then the outside stuff with the fans (business side, I suppose).

I don't know if I want to take this as just a little factor, or a bigger one. It seemed to mean a lot to Ross that Philban understood both sides, so back when we were picking between Mike McCoy (Denvers OC) and Philban there seemed to be some hold ups and signs that Ross and Ireland or Peterson all weren't on the same side as to who should be our next coach. I am not being a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if Philban's understanding of the fan's aspect made him appeal more to Ross, who it seemed ultimately choose Philban.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  33. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    And I hate to disagree with you (now isn't THAT a surprise). I understand what DK is saying.. You can train people to exceed what their natural tendencies, and talents, would seem to limit. You point out quite often that Moore played well against other mediocre teams, and poorly against winning teams. And that is not the whole truth. The whole team played poorly against winning teams, notably the offensive line. I don't care how good a QB is, as the old aphorism goes, a quarterback cannot throw from his back. The better teams fully exploited the weakness of the right side of the line while also overloading the targets. No quarterback is going to play in a superior fashion if running for his life.

Behind a more solid line (hence more time to focus downfield without having biguglies breathing down his neck, Moore's play, I believe, against the better teams would have been consistent with his play against the other teams. An upgrade can be more than a change in personnel, thought that would not be bad, and I have an idea who I would like to see come in. But I would not immediately dismiss the possibility of Moore developing into a much better QB with a solid pocket from which to pass. Further, with a better offensive line, our running game might be just enough to keep the defense honest. A good offensive line cures a lot of running back and quarterback ills.

There have been a lot of halfvast questions about "How many points does an offensive lineman score?" That reveals the lack of depth of an understanding of the game. The question should be "How many points were lost because the offensive line could not keep blitzers away from the QB, and how many points were lost when the offensive line could not drive block enough to open holes for the running back." Four tries from the 1 at the goal line without a score is an egregious performance by the offensive line.

Final Point: A good teacher can get a lot more out of a student than the student can ever get on his own.

34. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    First of all, I hope your not comparing Philbin to Harbaugh. Harbaugh played QB in the NFL and he was a very successful HC at Stanford before taking the job with the 49er's. Philbin may or may not turn out to be a decent HC, but since he has NEVER been a HC at any level of football, there is absolutely no way he can be compared to Harbaugh at this stage of his career.

The fact is that the 49er's also have much more talent on their roster than the Dolphins do at this time. Smith played well during the season last year but it was the 49er's defense and the running game which the 49er's leaned on to win the vast majority of their games. Except for just a few games last year, Smith was a game manager and not the player the team relied on to win games at the end of the game.

If the Dolphins had the same talent on their team that the 49ers have, Moore may be able to at least take them to the playoffs. Since the Dolphins don't have the same talent as the 49er's and Harbaugh is not the coach of the Dolphins, I still see the Dolphins winning no more then 6-7 games with the Moore/Garrard tandem the starter and backup QB's on this team.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  35. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Some people are just more apt to complain just to complain.

ToddsPhins and dolfan7171 like this.
  36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    There's a reason why our culture has deterioted, and it's not just because we haven't been relevant in a while, the fans here are party responsible IMO,, how they support a team, how they don't show up on time, how they sell their tickets to other teams fans, how they leave early when we're winning, or losing, how they criticize even though they do...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This all must come down to Flynn vs Garrard for you. Matt Moore was solid. We have a chance to draft the future QB. You cannot be honest and just hate those two things. So really it comes down to not taking Flynn. Why does your assessment of Flynn carry more weight than Philbin's?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  38. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Manning seemed to keep on truckin' when Dungy retired and Caldwell took over.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  39. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    With a better QB they would been in the Super Bowl.

Both are important.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  40. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Then by this logic...
    Lou Holtz should have DOMINATED as the New York Jets head coach
    Steve Spurrier should have DOMINATED as the Washington Redskins head coach
    Nick Saban should have DOMINATED as the Miami Dolphins' head coach.

All three of them were SUCCESSFUL NCAA head coaches, all NCAA National Champions and one a Heisman Trophy winner.

You said one thing that is indeed true and I'm going to point it out...San Francisco's overall talent. Yes, they had a roster that was chalked FULL of talent, but even under Mike Singletary and before to Nolan, San Francisco was a run heavy team that relied on their defense, so the scheme wasn't much different for Alex Smith whose numbers prior to Jim Harbaugh's arrival were horrible, but bring in Harbaugh, and Alex Smith's numbers flourished.

I don't know of any NFL quarterbacks Jim Harbaugh's groomed as a head coach other than Alex Smith, but I DO know how many quarterbacks were groomed under Mike Sherman and Joe Philbin. :wink2:

And just to stir the pot even more...your argument about San Francisco's success...run heavy and defense...is one of my arguments for a successful NFL team, one that's been ridiculed by more people here than I can count...and that recipe seemed to get San Francisco one game from the Super Bowl. :up:

dolfan7171 likes this.