1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins | In talks with Jake Scott

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Silverphin, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Dolphins | In talks with Jake Scott
    Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:23:12 -0700

The Miami Dolphins are in contract negotiations with free-agent OG Jake Scott (Titans).

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1qGofZUxa

I hope we land him.

xphinfanx likes this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Like I've said before I would say this free agency period is a solid success if we are able to sign Scott.

We've upgraded the secondary with Marshall who should end up playing FS for us at least in passing situations. I believe Clemons will prove to be a VERY good SS as he will be able to use his natural athleticism to make plays and not have as much responsibility or have to make the reads he did at FS which slowed his play down. So I believe losing Bell is addition by subtraction. Then the addition of Scott would improve our offensive line play by miles as would a healthy Jake Long. Add in what I believe will be a more successful offense just based on coaching alone and that improves the defense as well by not having to lean so heavily upon them.

Yeah losing Brandon Marshall sucked and we didn't land a franchise QB in free agency (who really does though?) but overall I'm pretty happy with the moves we have made. Anticipating the draft.

Bulldog, xphinfanx, gunn34 and 6 others like this.
  3. Rdrunn004

Rdrunn004 Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Miami
    I am not to familiar with the Tenn offensive line, which I believe that is where Scott comes from, but I do remember rumors (and I don't have a link it is just what I vaguely remember hearing during the season) that the reason CJ wasn't producing last year was because of the poor OL play.

Does anyone know if my memory serves me correctly; and, if so, is Scott one of the culprits who played poorly on that OL?

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Chris Johnson struggled because he is an undersized back who dances around rather than making one cut and going, and defenses finally realized that they can over power the little guy and impose their will on him.

That said I can't speak for him as a run blocker but I know he was rated the best pass blocking guard in the league.

5. Rdrunn004

Rdrunn004 Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Miami
    I would agree with that statement as I think that most of the blame for CJ's poor performance this year falls on him, but I do believe that any RBs success hinders to a certain degree on the play of their OL. If you have good OL play then most NFL RBs should perform well.

Glad to hear that Scott grades out well in pass blocking bc with the installation of the WCO in Miami that is very important. Thanks for the info and hopefully the staff can get him to sign.

6. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I think him missing camp hurt him a lot but still he is not a huge dancer like you implied.

Normally, if there is a hole he hits it, and hits it fast. His whole game is speed based though, if there aren't holes he can't get a bunch of "tough" yards.

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Doesn't really matter. He just about can't be a downgrade in run blocking and is certainly a pass blocking upgrade. Reggie averaged 5.0 YPC behind that piece of crap we threw out on the field so Scott will only help.

Bulldog and Fin D like this.
  8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think he got more hesitant as the season moves on. Maybe because teams were stacking against the run but towards the end of the year he definitely wasn't the one cut runner he was the year before. I agree with what you said...if there is a hole he hits it. It is when the hole is small or he is trying to bounce outside that he tends to dance more. I think it has more to do with his stature than it does anything else. He knows he isn't running over anyone, when teams take good angles or plug his holes he gets in trouble.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Make it happen Irish!

10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Love to see this deal get done.

11. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    It would be a good move, the OL would be less of a worry going into the draft.

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

SICK and Silverphin like this.
  13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Agreed Travis. Jake Scott would be a key signing for us. I also gleaned from that Club thread that Ireland said we need tackle depth. He mentioned Jerry, Garner, and Cook. I wonder if he's penciled in Lydon Murtha for the starting RT spot? It would align nicely with some of the posturing that CK and others have made from Mike Sherman's "hidden talent" comment. I suppose Richie Incognito isn't the worst they could do at left guard. Again. But I've got a hunch they'll target someone like Adam Gettis of Iowa. Athletic, quick, former wrestler I believe - so he's probably got really good balance. And WR coach Ken O'Keefe probably is pretty keen on whether or not he'd be a nice fit since he came from the Iowa staff. Nice 4th round option there.

sws84 and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  14. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

According to this report he's started every game since 2005 and has only allowed 5 sacks and 12 QB hits in the last 4 years. It also goes on to say CJ averaged 4.7 ypc when running to his side. Looks like a significant upgrade to me.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-fbn-blogmt1sbnation2602676-20120302,0,92983.story

Bulldog, sws84, gunn34 and 2 others like this.
  15. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Please get this deal done.

16. Rdrunn004

Rdrunn004 Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Miami
    Great link smahtaz, that is exactly the type of analysis I was looking for when it comes to Scott.

SICK likes this.
  17. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    this is me > < holding my breath...

18. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I'm skeptical about this guy. That article indicated he may have to compete with Rex Hadnot. The same Rex that was ok while he was here. I still want DeCastro on this team. Now that is a clear upgrade and our O-line will be banging!! I can't get off the DeCastro bandwagon ever since a fellow forum member shed some light on him.

cdz12250 likes this.
  19. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Scott will save FA if we can sign him.

20. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I want him to, but if you want to see this fanbase revolt, take a guard in the first round.

21. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

Hope he likes the "vibe" here

22. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    One out of two QB's do! Don't know how that works for guards though :lol:

23. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    No way Irish picks him at #8 but if we can trade down to the teens and nab him....Highway robbery IMO.

24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think there are way too many talents in this draft to not come away with a game changer unless you really reach.

25. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    We drafted Jake Long with the number one overall pick and it seems no one's revolted over him. In fact, he's praised as one of our best players.
    We drafted Mike Pouncy in the first round and it seems no one's revolted over him, again priased as one of our better players.

Think of building a car. You can have the biggest, most powerful engine under the hood of the car...all shiney, hot color, LED illuminated interior, bucket leather seats, Bose speakers, etc....but if you don't have something as basic as four tires on that car, that car's not going to go anywhere!!!!

I've watched football for ALOT of years, longer than some here have been alive and the one common denominator every championship team has had over the years, from the 1965 Green Bay Packers to the 2011 New York Giants has been a SOLID offensive line.

If you think I place too much emphasis on the offensive line, consider this. How many Super Bowls, or at least legitimate runs at the Super Bowl do you think the Detroit Lions would have had, if the Dallas Cowboys offensive line had been blocking for Barry Sanders rather than Emmitt Smith?

You've GOT to build that foundation first. You can have all the Peyton Mannings, Drew Brees, Tom Bradys, John Elways or even Dan Marinos you want as quarterback, but if they have an offensive line that gives them ZERO time to drop back, set and deliver an accurate pass, you're going to be watching the playoffs every year rather than playing in them, and I don't think we'll find a single Dolphins fan here that would say from LT all the way down the line to RT, we had a SOLID offensive line last season.

Bottomline, regardless of your fanbase, if you have a weakness on your team that you're unable to fill in free agency and there's a young stud in the draft that can fill it, regardless of position, you get what you need to make your football TEAM a better TEAM.

Sippi, sws84, RevRick and 3 others like this.
  26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Now that Matt Ryan is pretty well set in mediocrity, not as much.

Before this year though it was every other thread about how we passed on another franchise QB for Jake Long.

27. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

They claim to have their nucleus intact. It's time for Ireland to draft some difference makers - QB, WR, DE/OLB, DB. Ya know guys that actually impact the score.

28. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I still think we're fine at DB, especially with the addition of Marshall. VD is capable of making game changing plays as he's done so before.

Definitely need another big time pass rusher.

Bess/Hartline/Gates are very good role receivers, but we need an alpha.

QB is an obvious need.

29. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    yeah because it has gone sooooooo bad...

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  30. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    We could use a late round DB or if a stud drops to us. I think this year , WR, DE, S, ILB are our positions of need. I know I didn't put QB in because I think we aren't going to draft a QB high this year. Actually I'm very sure we aren't. We are going to go with Moore and Gerrrrrrard this year. Is we need to, next years draft will bring us a QB, for now we will have to wait

31. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    At #8 or #18. I still think it will be ridiculed.

32. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    we arent gonna pump another first rounder into our O-line. look playmaker or DE

33. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Agreed. You're wasting your time if you're trying to convince me that drafting DeCastro is good. I like DeCastro and even tease friends of mine that we should draft him. What's more, I don't think Ireland and Philbin should be influenced by the fanbase.

I just forsee a lot of grumbling and *****ing all summer long if we take him.

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Why is ILB a position of need?

35. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Who is playing there?

Dansby probably can, but I don't know if it has specifically been said that he will. Seems a lot of thought has him as a better fit and more natural as an OLB.

I like Jake Scott, though I find it odd that so few are interested in him. Is there something we don't know to cause the lack of interest?

Anything is better than spending another first round pick on a lineman though.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Burnett.

Dansby would be a waste solely at OLB, imo.

37. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I like DeCastro, but if we could drop down to 11 or 12 and nab Luke (MLB solved), pick up a late 2nd and use that to get our current 2nd back into the first and grab Weeden...........that'd be more awesome. Downside to that is we'd be looking at 2 Wr's in the 3rd and praying for one of them to step up large. Not sure I'd like that part.

38. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012

Well based on the fact the Dolphins cut their leading tackler in Bell and their top skill position player was traded in Marshall and completley whiffed on Manning and Flynn but signed Garrard and signed some role players after Ross told everyone he was focused on making moves this year...yeah it pretty much has sucked donkey balls. but hey, that's just me....

39. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    That leading tackler was mediocre and getting old, while being overpaid. But throw in "leading tackler" as if that trumps all his other regressions.

Now to Marshall, while I didn't agree with it at first, they obviously had enough of him (ex. getting into trouble AGAIN), so they got what they could get.

Whiffed on Manning and Flynn? Manning never showed any signs of wanting to play for the Dolphins and if Miami really wanted Matt Flynn, he would be a Dolphin right now (Philbin/Flynn Green Bay connection, hello?)

And Garrard is here on a small deal to be the back up QB. Oh the horror.

40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So what you're saying is you're a fan of paying big money to 34 year strong safeties who are becoming a liability in coverage despite it being a passing league, and you don't know if this is the season when he completely hits the wall?

Personally, if cutting Bell results in Jake Scott, I'll be more than happy about it.

Sippi likes this.