1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mando:Dolphins are rebuilding, but won't admit it

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Mar 26, 2012.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...rebuilding-the-word-means-forget-about-t.html

Eh, it is Armando, he does make a good point about rookie Wr's and replacing Marshall and MMoore and Garrard being on one year deals.

He is offbase about YB, and of course mixes his point "they cut YB, the glue that holds the secondary together" and "he has gotten no FA interest", our secondary has been crap since 2008's surprising season, big picture no great loss.

The other point is more pertinent, in this he is probably correct, the offense is rebuilding, we are unlikely to sign anyone to replace Marshall, if they could be found in the first place, and even then, we couldn't pay them much $$$.

To me, the real misstep with all of this is the roster was finally set up to be a power running-go deep down the field/good/defense/good specials team Parcells envisioned in 08, and now it will be deconstructed.

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    gotta let the new coach set up the team so he feels like he has the best chance of success. if that's (once again) one step back, two steps forward, I'm okay with that. with the current talent we had (including Bell and Marshall) we were not going to the superbowl, likely not even a win in the playoffs. So, some changes were inevitable.

ToddsPhins and cdz12250 like this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is crap.

After our season was over & Sparano was fired, we just needed a QB to get us over the hump.

We dump a problematic 6TD receiver and we're rebuilding?

Mando and his lover Jason Coles have started too much **** with this franchise, especially this year, to be taken seriously.

ToddsPhins, Steve-Mo, gunn34 and 7 others like this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA

To further that point, our season was over before it ever started with our lame-duck coach and 2 soon-to-be fired coordinators.
    people act like we were on track for something special when we dumped Marshall and Bell. We will not miss Y Bell.
    Marshall did draw some extra attention from defenses, but usually he wasn't good enough to overcome the extra attention on a consistent basis. While he was clearly OUR #1 WR, he wasn't a dominating #1 WR

djphinfan and Fin D like this.
  5. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So, we trade 1 player that was causing problems, and release an old expensive player that we may resign to a cheaper contract... and that means rebuilding?

I mean, if we didn't resign Soliai, and traded Wake and another "now" type of player... sure. But I don't think we are re-building. We are just still building...

gunn34, Alex13 and unluckyluciano like this.
  6. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    The offense has been rebuilding since Marino retired. Shocking that a coach with an offensive background would come in and want to put his stamp on the team. I could go on but I'll regress.

7. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    So we're rebuilding a top 10 defense by resigning Soliai and settling the secondary by adding Richard Marshall? Riiiiight.

'Mando gonna 'Mando.

8. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I think we're always "building" so long as we're not a perennial playoff team. We never stopped building. The problem is now we have to build to Philbin's vision which requires a little bit of shuffling. I think Brandon Marshall's impact can be made up elsewhere personally. His numbers were flashy, but I think that's only because he was forced the ball on so many occasions.

In my opinion a #1 receiver should create yardage, not poach it from the other players on the team. As well the extra coverage they draw should make your other players look better. If you look at the dip Hartline and Bess had last year I think it's a reasonable assumption to say that Brandon Marshall was ball hogging and creating animosity if he wasn't targetted the majority of the time. He had some amazing catches, but not enough to warrant it.

My point is by himself Marshall was great, however he wasn't making the offense as a whole better, as much as he is just good football player.

As far as Bell goes I think that's a bit of a leap. He was set to get paid way more than he's worth this year, for a player that really is average to good at best.

gunn34 likes this.
  9. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Mando is an idiot. I keep reading where some people say that after BM was traded we needed to get another WR in here ASAP. Well, who? Who the hell is out there in FA that we could have obtained? It's like all the idiots whining about Ireland not getting a QB. Who should he get? There was one legitimate starter in FA this year and his name is Peyton Manning. There are 32 teams and he can only play for one. He picked and it wasn't us. So, who else should Ireland have picked up? Maybe people think he should be able to create players al la Madden?

gunn34 likes this.
  10. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Gonna use that.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  11. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Go for it bro!

12. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    Doesn't really matter if they admit it or not. Any idiot can see that. hell, we've been rebuidling since 95. We build a little, rear it back down and so on.

13. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Starters gone from last year: Marshall, Carey, Colombo, Langford, JT, Bell (7 starters if Henne is thrown in).

Starters whose contracts expire at the end of this season: Long, Moore/Garrard, Hartline, Fasano, Bush, Hicks/Murtha/Garner (who knows who will start on OL), Wake, Starks, Smith, Clemons, Fields (P).

Additional role players whose contract expires after this season: Merling, Culver, McDaniel, Slaton, Wallace, Marlon Moore.

Starters under contract beyond 2012: Incognito, Pouncey, Bess on offense...Odrick, Soliai, Burnett, Dansby, Davis on defense...Carpenter (K).

Looks like a rebuilding project in the works to me.

14. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    So, you're using players whose contracts are up either after 2012 or 2013 as a sign of rebuilding? you know,you can resign these players?
    that criteria has nothing to do with "rebuilding"

As far as your first statement of 7 starters gone. Does anyone actually give a crap that Carey and Columbo are gone? they were terrible and easily replaceable.
    Y Bell is a fan favorite, but he's at best a mediocre player and a major liability defending the pass in a pass-happy league
    JT retired and we've already put in place 2 QBs that are upgrades over Henne.

So, this whole weak argument of yours now boils down to Marshall and Langford as the only 2 good players that we lost.

Why people can't see the difference between "one step back" and "rebuilding" is beyond me.

Steve-Mo and Bulldog like this.
  15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I wish the Miami Herald would do some goddamn rebuilding.

muscle979, Steve-Mo, Bumrush and 9 others like this.
  16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Dude, don't waste your time. People that just want to complain will always try to rationalize the situation with illogical reasons.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You forgot Jake at the end of the year...

Ireland must resign Long and Wake..ASAP...

18. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    How many years now have we been talking about getting a replacement for Bell since he was getting long in the tooth? How many times have we heard someone say Clemons or Culver are better suited for strong saftey than free safety? So why is cutting Bell so much of a surprise to people? It saves cap space and allows the younger players on the roster to slide to their natural position. In fact, I remember last year this time one of the local beat writers put together a list of players who may not make the 2011 roster and Bell was on it for the very same reasons he was cut this year (age/salary).

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The rebuild comes in the form of releasing some older vets that weren't getting it done..

JT..

YBell

Colombo

Carey

Will Allen

Our team just got much younger, our oldest player on D is Karlos Dansby..

I have no complaints about those losses, the defense last year lost many games for us, it was time to get younger and make changes, and those two guys on the oline played one year too long for us.

Will played some good ball, but Jimmy and Carroll need to step up and ell is 34.

Time for new leadership dynamics...you hear me Karlos I need to be in the gym Dansby.

20. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    :lol:

21. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Kettle meet pot.

22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Took to long for guys like VD to develop, problem with wasting the last 3 yrs, Wake, Long et al will be high priced fa's now

23. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Yes I did, thanks. Perhaps our FO thinks those players won't receive any contract offers as free agents or their Dolphin loyalty and love for Ross/Ireland will get them signed at a bargain price...

24. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    wow, touche

Steve-Mo likes this.
  25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Both better get signed in camp..

26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Nope, I don't smoke enough pot for your theories to make sense apparently.

27. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Like Soliai? Good thinking.

28. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Really, what is to comment on with a statement like "we've already put in place 2 QBs that are upgrades over Henne"...we have under contract two good backups, one is 34 coming off back surgery, under "one year" contracts who will battle it out to be Miami's starter this year. And our GM is quoted this past week as saying he is "happy" with the QB situation right now.

Apparently you are too?

29. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Exactly...this will be Ireland's new model for trying to resign quality players. May end up doing a lot more harm than good. Ireland got "lucky" on this. Soliai could have easily chose to walk and sign elsewhere for more money. Most players will.

Your under the belief most players will take less money to be a Dolphin right now? :lol:

Just like the "We won't pay starting QB salaries to starting QBs" motto he operates under. Hmm...wonder why Manning didn't give Ross/Ireland the time of day...

30. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    No, I"m not happy at all. I'm just countering your argument that Henne can be one of the players thrown into the "now we're rebuilding argument"

31. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    You honestly that is it as far as quarterback goes? There is still an entire draft that needs to take place.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    " happy right now" is literal, in the moment, doesn't mean he won't go after the Qb targeted by this new staff in the upcoming draft...No Gm in their right mind would overrule the coaching talent and their experience in this system when it comes to finding their type of Qb, we know he's already listed to Philbin once when it came to Flynn.

33. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY

:lol: You missed the sarcasm. Soliai def gave us a discount to stay here.

You'd of paid Manning $95 million? Ya, I'll stick with Ireland.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  34. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

In the case of Long, I'd resign only if 100% fully heathly and even then I question his worth at the sum he will be looking to get! With a true WC style QB imo Long becomes way to expensive!

35. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    I think there are "2" QBs that are potential franchise QBs...Luck and RG3. Neither of these will be a Dolphin. Every other QB would be a reach with the #8 pick imo and will need time to develop if they ever develop.

Which rookie QB do you seriously think is going to be starting this year? And if it is a rookie QB then how is that, in and of itself, not rebuilding? This is a QB league.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It seems like some folks were on the Peyton or bust club, cause no Other qb available made more sense than Matt Moore..period.

If folks are *****ing about Flynn and blaming Ireland while ignoring the information available, and what we know, then it has to be because their personal evaluation of the prospect was incorrect..jmo

37. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    You obviously didn't read what I posted all along. I thought signing Manning was a bad idea. Signing Flynn would have been a "terrific" one though. That was the singing that made total sense. That signing would have indicated Miami is not going into rebuilding mode, but retooling. A QB already developed, already knows the system, ready to start NOW.

Good luck with sticking with Ireland bandwagon. Although, I hear that is a lot of room on that wagon.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    we're you willing to go up and outbid the skins?

39. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Failing to find a franchise QB in FA, and looking for a rookie in the draft, or waiting for next year = Rebuilding to me.

Even without the other moves.

40. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Except Joe Philbin disagrees with you about Flynn.

mroz, gunn34, cdz12250 and 1 other person like this.