1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two More FA Visits

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Mar 25, 2012.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    The first is OG Jake Scott:

-MD website

The second is LB Philip Wheeler:

- La Crapola

*FreeStyle posted about Wheeler earlier in another thread, but I figured everyone would want to see it. Personally I like both of these potential signings a lot if they happen. Wheeler especially has shown consistent improvement and could be a real steal.

xphinfanx, smahtaz, PhinsRock and 3 others like this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wheeler's a WILL here IMO. I like Scott quite a bit though.

3. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Sign both please.

Dolphins1Beatles likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What would signing Wheeler mean for Koa Misi?

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If their head is screwed on right, nothing.

Sleepy and Stitches like this.
  6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Wheeler and Scott would be two very solid signings. I'm honestly surprised Scott isn't getting more play in FA.

PSG likes this.
  7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Scott would be a gigantic upgrade at an area of weakness.

Dolphins1Beatles and Sleepy like this.
  8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I agree with everything about Scott. He hasn't missed a game since 04.

The lack of interest makes no sense. I'm assuming he's going to be expensive though since his last deal was 4 years for almost 20 in 08.

9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He's a 31 yr old RG, it's certainly possible he won't be that expensive.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    31 but with about as clean of an injury record as one could have. I can't see him taking less than his last deal.

Hopefully it's loaded in a way that doesn't hit us too hard this year.

11. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    It would be great to sign both these guys, hopefully that extra cash we saved makes it happen.

12. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Pony up and pay for quality on the O line. Give Scott a deal and move forward. I am so tired of seeing our QBs eat more dirt than earthworms.

As far as Wheeler, he was a good prospect leaving out of Ga Tech. He was a big part of our D and definately applied pressue and demanded double teams. He was a bit small for a pro LB but I imagine he could add a little weight. I imagine in the right environment he could develop nicely. Here's his bio from us....

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wheeler_philip00.html

GreysonWinfield likes this.
  13. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Scott would help solidify this line with only RT being a question. However if they draft someone in say the 4th round I'm sure they can get someone to play it alright between that pick/Garner and Murtha. Athletic lighter guard to. I think Scott only plays in the 290 range.

14. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    If they dont upgrade the line it is going to be a painful year.

dolfan32323 and xphinfanx like this.
  15. overseas

overseas 25th Fin-Fan anniversary

Dec 16, 2007
    Kiel, Germany
    It can´t get worse than Carey and Columbo last year. Both are gone so there has to be an upgrade.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The only bad thing is that so many younger fans when people bring up Jake Scott of the Miami Dolphins are gonna think of the RT and not the stone cold baddest mutha ****er that ever played the game.

Hellion, Aquafin, WharfRat and 5 others like this.
  17. sloppyjoer

sloppyjoer New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Would be nice to see both these boys signed. The upgrade to the line particularly excites me.

18. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Sign them both, nice to see Ireland finally making some decent moves in FA. I was feeling really left behind so far in FA, and not just because of Peyton or Flynn.

19. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm not here to say Ireland is great or sucks but I will say too many fans get sucked into the need to sign big FA's out of the box. I'm going with the belief that had Philbin wanted Flynn he would have been signed. Receiver still has to be addressed though. Maybe Philben feels they can address those needs in the draft, be above average this year and they put a press on next year through bigger FA signings and stability at the QB position. Of course I may be 100% wrong and we are all F'd.

20. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    I'm certainly no expert on the WCO, but my assumption would be that the increase in 3-step drops will, by itself, help the offensive line tremendously. Moore, or whoever else it is, won't be standing back there for very long most snaps. But I agree this would be a good signing.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  21. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, here's the thing....

Hicks = upgrade to Colombo (of course, that's not too difficult to do.)

Scott = upgrade to Carey

Pouncey part deux = upgrade to rookie Pouncey.

RI = RI may not exactly fit in the zone blocking scheme we likely will run certainly not at LG, but might do better at RG.

Long healthy = upgrade to Long last season.

Then you have Murtha who played well when asked last year and Jerry who played better at G than his short stint at T. Garner is a full year removed from his ACL, so he should also be better... RI is a candidate for getting cut (money) if Scott is signed and would be looked at as a gain for us at LG...

The OL could be improved with simply addition by subtraction...and coaching/scheme.

djphinfan likes this.
  22. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I'd love a Jake Scott signing......it would be first good move we've made since hiring Philbin.

23. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Aside from retaining Soliai at a very reasonable price and shoring up the secondary by signing Richard Marshall?

Sleepy, PSG and Alex44 like this.
  24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm all on board for signing Scott. Give him a nice deal with a nice bonus so that his contract is backloaded towards the years when the salary cap is supposed to bump upwards.

25. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Signing Scott would be a great move. Which means it wont happen.

26. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    You're right.
    I forgot about Soliai, however, if we are switching to a 4-3 I'm not sure he's an ideal fit.
    Marshall is OK. But when that is your marquee FA signing two and a half weeks into FA, its cause for concern, IMO.

27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I can name about 28 teams that haven't made a splash in free agency. Some are better than us and some are worse than us. Of course you want to plug holes in free agency and I'm glad that seems to be the focus rather than making a huge splash. If we end up with Scott I'll consider this a strong FA period.

28. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    What holes have we really plugged?
    Marshall plugs one I suppose, especially if they plan to play him at safety.
    Not sure how much of an upgrade Hicks would be.
    If we sign Scott that would be an excellent signing, but I'd hardly say it makes this a strong FA period for us.
    But to each his own.
    Don't forget, we also created a huge hole by trading away Marshall.

29. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Scott takes Incognito's place?
    LT-Long LG-Scott C-Pouncey RG-Hick RT-Murtha

30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    We didn't create that, we were simply left to deal with another mess that he made.

No chance Marshall isn't our new FS either, imo.

31. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    To me a strong free agency period is filling in holes solidly without making a splash. In all honesty we don't have very many holes. I would have considered our biggest hole going into this offseason as our coaching. Coaching alone should make our offense better which in return will allow our defense to be better simply by not being put in precarious positions all the time.

So I believe Marshall will be our FS and a very good one. We cut Bell who in my opinion is a liability in pass coverage. Insert Clemons who I believe will have a very good season at the SS position where he isn't required to make as many reads and decisions as at the FS position. He will be able to use his natural athleticism to make plays.

Resigned Solia which I believe to be a big signing. Even in the 4-3 it is important to have a DT who can take up multiple blockers on running downs and push the line back into the QB's face. Signing Scott would sure up an offensive line that really held us back. I think people will like what they see from Matt Moore when he isn't on his back every play against every decent defense. I also think Garrard is a good fit in our offense if he is healthy again. Very accurate passer with decent mobility screams Philbin. Not to say we have a long term answer at QB but we will be a lot more solid than most people think.

So going into the draft we are looking for a WR (or two), TE (possibly), QB (I'd expect someone mid round) and a pass rushing end. Not too bad.

32. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Whether or not its a hole we created or one we were left to deal with is irrelevant. It's a hole that was created, which hasn't been addressed yet.
    As far as Richard Marshall goes, I agree he should be our new FS.

33. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    The issue I have with this FA period for the Dolphins is they didn't address the biggest need (QB). And created a another glaring one (WR).
    So as good as the Marshall, Hicks and Soliai signings/resignings may be, the QB/WR issues make this FA period a wash, IMO.

34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    you have issue with our new coaches decision on not to sign his former QB?

I don't understand this PSG??

35. southbeachbeast

southbeachbeast New Member

Aug 20, 2010

i didnt realize there were still dolphins fans who knew what they were talking about

36. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    I'm ok with both guys and yes FreeStyle was the first to post the Wheeler info before anybody! :up:

37. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Wait, Hicks won't be an upgrade to Colombo ?? I doubt that...

Look, we have more holes to fill but the one that was created with trading Marshall may not be quite as big as everyone want's to make it out to be...

The big question for this team, as it stands right now (knowing the FA isn't over and the draft is yet to come), is really whether Gates, Clay, Thomas, Jerry, Murtha, Clemons, Jones and Wilson develop as many of us think they can... These guys can make or break because each can fill a hole we have....Gates - speed WR, Clay - speedy FB/h-back/TE, Thomas - can he have a more solid year (as he showed some flashes of last year) this year, Can Jerry and Murtha, along with Hicks, fill in the OL spots we have open, Clemons/Jones - Will either of these guys break out and become more solid players ?? Can Wilson be in the mix in the secondary, even with the addition of Marshall....To me, these guys will determine how many holes are filled or not filled...anyone we get in the draft to fill one of the holes is just icing on the cake...

38. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Hicks is a guard not a tackle.

39. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I have issues with David Garrard being the answer. I guess you can chalk it up to a decade and half worth of frustration.

We don't know if it was the coach or GM who said no to Flynn. We'll probably never know what really happened behind closed doors.

40. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I think the biggest question for this team is what kind of play we are going to get from the QB position.
    And I have to admit, I'm not expecting to be very good.