1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire Ireland.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by smahtaz, Mar 24, 2012.

1. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I’ve been reading thread after thread that many Dolphins fans are fed up with Jeff Ireland and want him gone today.

Who are the candidates to replace him?

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    ''Thats a trick question''

3. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    well the guy from the colts comes to mind he did well in indy.

i would not have a proble with letting philbin pick the playersand just let ireland work the numbers

then there is Jim Jensen or NICK B. i cant spell his last name but even he has more comon sense.

4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

5. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    "You sneaky bastage!"

6. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I imagine Philbin already has a lot of say.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, since a down yr this means rebuilding, with all of the players we have primed to hit FA, I have to say I'm Ireland's biggest fan so to speak.

I cannot imagine 8 months of this negativity.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Wouldn't make any sense at all to fire Ireland now. As I said before, that would be like firing your accountant on April 14th.

smahtaz likes this.
  9. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I disagree...it would probably go a long way to satisfy a disgruntled fan base. May put a few more butts in the seats this year. I have heard good things about Nat Moore. Ireland has not shown anything special in the draft. Thought he showed impatience by trading picks to move up to take Thomas last year. Does anyone think FA players unsigned this year will only consider Miami if Ireland is GM? Probably just the opposite.

I look at the state of the team right now...gone is our leading WR and tackler from last year. Our QB situation in which Ireland is on record as being happy with consists of two backup worthy QB under one year contracts. Our best offensive players (Long, Bush) are on the last year of their contract along with our best defensive player (Wake)...so what would be missing by letting Ireland go right now?

10. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    really ?

11. smahtaz

Too funny. What leads you to believe Nat Moore is up to speed in regard to the upcoming draft.

Don't get me wrong. I think Ireland is a pompus azz.

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You don't have to sell me on Ireland's incompetence. But of all the things I criticize him for, he's not terrible in the draft except for the small fact that he places no importance on the QB position. But I'd much rather let the new GM pick this team's QB anyway. Ireland has been preparing for this draft for a long time. To bring someone else in to conduct the draft would just make an already terrible offseason even worse. In my humble opinion, the best time to fire Ireland would be as soon as we are mathematically eliminated from a winning season.

To me Ireland has this draft to make a pitch to Ross that he deserves to keep his job. If I'm Steven Ross nothing short of an amazing draft that leads to a winning season is going to make me not give this guy the boot. But not before the draft.

MAFishFan and smahtaz like this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

:shifty:

14. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Other than hearing his name mentioned, nothing. Can't be worse than Ireland at this point. If Moore is not competent he can fill the role of straw man until Ross hires someone who hopefully will be competent. IMO it is best to let Philbin and coaching staff make the calls on this draft regardless of whether Ireland stays or not. They know the type of players they are looking for their system. I certainly trust their decision-making more than Ireland's at this point. Obviously, Miami is going to need to draft heavily on offense.

Taking a look at the state of the team with the FA's at the end of this season:

Jake Long
    Reggie Bush
    Cameron Wake
    Randy Starks
    Anthony Fasano
    Art Hicks
    Tony McDaniel
    Matt Moore
    David Garrard
    Pat Devlin
    Sean Smith
    Brian Hartline
    Nate Garner
    Brandon Fields
    Jason Trusnik
    Lydon Murtha
    Tyrone Culver
    Roberto Wallace
    Marlon Moore
    Steve Slaton

Obviously, quite a few of these players are easily replaced but in looking at Long, Wake, Starks, Smith, Fasano, Bush, Moore/Garrard, Hicks, Murtha, Garner, Hartline, Fields...That is about half of the starters on the Dolphins are slated to become FAs next off season. Throw in Langford, Marshall, Bell, Carey, Columbo and JT (six starters from last year gone) and tell me Miami isn't going through a rebuilding phase. Ireland already had his chance to rebuild the team. Time to give someone else a chance.

Not only has Ireland created more holes this off season than he has filled he has not signed extension to core players (Long, Bush, Wake, Starks, Smith, Fasano, Fields, Hartline). Hard to figure how Ireland actually benefits the Dolphins in any way.

15. smahtaz

16. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have been as negative as anyone on here in regards to Ireland as the teams GM. Yet I agree with those who question firing Ireland now, just a few weeks from the NFL draft. I just don't see anyone available at this time who could just come in and conduct the draft for the Dolphins at the last minute. Ross decided to go with Ireland as the GM for the 2012 season and whether some of us like it or not, Ireland is the man who needs to be making the decisions on draft day, since he has been given that responsible by Ross.

If Ireland fails in the draft and the Dolphins once again finish below 500 next season, there will be plenty of time for us to demand Ross fire him. For now we have to hope that Ireland does an excellent job in this years draft because, I think there are far more holes to fill on this team before they are truly competitive in the AFC.

padre31 likes this.
  17. WharfRat

WharfRat Malignant Lunatic

18. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    People criticize the bad timing of the Y. Bell release....but turn around and want Ireland gone on the eve of the Draft. I tell ya boy.....we're scraping the bottom of the barrel with this fanbase thing.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It didn't realize jonny dangerously comedy would not be allowed to reference on the board..no clue that was against the rules..sure was funny while it lasted..

smahtaz likes this.
  20. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    A fanbase is usually a direct reflection of it's team.

21. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Were those posts deleted?

22. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    In my opinion we let Ireland handle the operation this year since its the first year of having total autonomy and see what develops. He's hired his own coach and is out from under all things Parcells related. The team is his to do what he will and he will make his own bed. Any thing less than an improvement of last years record will seal his own fate unless he has a relationship with Ross like Wannstedt had with Johnson or Wannstedt had with Fiedler. If he fails he will have no one to point his finger at but himself so we will see.

23. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Ireland has been running this entire organization since Parcells left in the middle of the 2010 season. So he is responsible for everything which has happened since Parcells cleaned out his desk and drove out of the parking lot on his last day with the Dolphins.

I am willing to give him this coming year because Ross has decided to retain him as the teams GM and it is too far along in the off season to go in another direction. If the Dolphins can finish above 500 next season, Ireland will deserve credit, along with Philbin and the rest of the coaching staff. Yet if the Dolphins finish at 500 or below against what appears to be an easy schedule right now, I think Ross would have to reconsider his backing of Ireland.

As many have stated on here, the process is still unfolding and the draft had not yet been conducted. I don't have a great deal of faith in the abilities of Ireland to turn this team around, but I am certainly willing to give him ONE more opportunity to prove me wrong.