1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St. Patty's Day is Over, Fire Ireland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin D, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I tried to bring reason to this situation.

Few listened. Most escalated the crazy.

I've come to realize, that trying to bring some sanity to this situation is like saying Santa Claus isn't real by explaining the impossible physics required to deliver toys to all the world's children, to someone who says, "Whatever, I just saw him at the mall in front of Dillard's."

No one is listening anymore. Minds are made up. Perception is now firmly reality.

Even great Dolphins of the past like Nick Bunicotti, have read all the vile and are panicking.

You win CLB (Chicken Little Brigade). Its time to fire Ireland.

Not for any real offense, because real offenses can't be discussed. There is simply no room for real offenses, because all the space is taken up with Warren Sapp tweets.

Ireland is being blamed for everything now. Last couple of years, it was Sparano. Everyone wanted the "Fistpumper" gone. He is, but before we could play one single game, hell get through one single week of FA, it is now determined Ireland is the problem. So many people last year, felt we were better than our record indicated. So many people felt, that 6-3 run to end the season was the real Dolphins, we just needed better coaching. Well, we got rid of the bad coaching and hired someone new. Doesn't matter, Ireland must go.

Why does Ireland have to go? Because people think Ireland caused us to go from 1st on Mannings list to last. Forget we were never on his list to begin with and for reasons he never said. It very easily could have been because we had a losing season and brought in a new coach and the team ended up with didn't. Doesn't matter, Ireland must go.

Why does Ireland have to go? Because people think our staff valued Flynn as the defacto starter, and Ireland blew the deal getting cute by lowballing. Forget the fact the FO never said Flynn was our guy. It was assumed he was. Therefore he was. Even though actual evidence points to he wasn't. Doesn't matter, Ireland must go.

Why does he have to go? Because he brought in David Garrard. Forget the fact it was a 1 year non-guaranteed contract and just a year ago this board wanted him signed. The CLB thinks Garrard was brought in to start, and that's the end of the QB plan. Even though his contract proves he's just depth and the draft is more than a month away proves were not done. Doesn't matter, Ireland must go.

Why does Ireland have to go? Because he lied to Drew Rosenhaus about Bell. Forget the fact he didn't lie. Drew didn't say he lied. Bell didn't say he lied. Ireland even told Bell face to face and man to man. Doesn't matter, Ireland must go.

Sigh.

Why does Ireland have to go?

Because people won't listen to reason anymore and that rabid adherence to conjecture has fed itself and become a self fulfilling prophecy. We've become a joke simply because people said we were and some other people believed it. The media has manipulated this fan base to the point we actually believe Ireland is purposely trying to hurt the franchise. The media won't stop belittling us until Ireland is gone because the fans won't stop putting up with their lies about the Dolphins until Ireland is gone. That media attention is hurting our ability to bring in FAs worse than Ireland ever did. After all, the perception is now reality.

So...yeah...fire Ireland so everyone will just simply STFU.

2. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    This is weak.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're weak.

Name one thing I got wrong.

4. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    If the Dolphins WIN the SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR, they MUST FIRELAND. The guy is an ******* and a pariah. Nobody likes him and he is a detriment to the franchise.

he is not a General Manager. He is a scout.

If I am Ross, I offer him a demotion to head of college scouting, or assistant GM to a GM of my choosing. If he refuses, I call in Security to pepper spray him in his office and throw him out the nearest window.

DOLFANMIKE and BicketyBam like this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    weak take against accurate analysis...

6. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Manning:

Yup.. The QB in Denver that played on a team that wrote the book on how to win with an aging QB by taking pressure of the QB and developing a dominant running game..
    A solid franchise and HOF QB at the helm.
    A team that beat the then defending AFC champion Steelers in the playoffs last year.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...-peyton-manning-denver-broncos-agree-96m-deal

However, Peyton should have chosen MIA with a rookie head coach because he likes the sun and Miami has South Beach. Ireland sucks and is failure because Peyton wants to win now.

Exhibit 2:

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

We should have signed Flynn regardless so the "fans" could shut up. Forget about the next three years and catastrophic conditions should Flynn fail, we need to appease the "FANS" NOW!!!!

7. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    List for me the top 5 moves that Ireland has made.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Here's what this is. There's a very loyal fanbase here that will defend any Miami Dolphin player, coach, GM, hell even owner, whether they deserve it or not. I don't dislike this fanbase, and I respect them for it. Nothing wrong with loyalty.

We've seen it with just about every QB since Marino retired.

Usually when it gets to the phase of overwhelming evidence that said player, coach, etc. isn't getting the job done we see statements like this. "Well, we should just get rid of Chad Henne because the fans suck and will never give him the time he needs."

That's the statement we're seeing here. We should get rid of Ireland because us fans, media, players, etc. are just a bunch of idiots who don't get "Ireland's vision". It's a way to step out and save a little face.

I don't mean any disrespect Fin. Like I said, I agree with you on a lot of things, but Jeff Ireland isn't one of them. But I do respect your loyalty to the man.

9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    me personally I have no problem with firing/keeping ireland. I see both the good and the bad he's done. To me the argument boils down to peoples reasons, and sorry a lot of them just don't make much sense to me. A lot of it screams to me people saying ireland is a bad gm because he didn't do what they thought he should do. Where i come from thats called arrogance, which is probably why people dislike irelands arrogance. After all as the saying goes, sometimes what we wish to change in others, is what we wish to change in ourselves.

Bulldog likes this.
  10. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The OP is weak because it mostly addresses non-moves of this particular offseason. The OP ignores Ireland's complete body of (non)work. I wanted Ireland fired when Sparano got the axe.

PLEASE NAME MR. IRELAND'S TOP 5 MOVES. And non-moves don't count. I didn't over-pay for Alex Smith either. Give me 5 affirmative decisions that Ireland made that make him an above-average GM. Name em!

11. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I agree with you and some of the others that when fans say Ireland should be fired based solely on the recent free agency developments is a bit knee jerk. When you pair it up with his prior body of work which includes:

1. A complete failure to address the QB position.

2. A continuation of outdated Parcellian philosophy to the roster.

3. Previously failing to land needed free agents.

4. Inappropriate questions to potential draftees.

You have a guy who is deservedly reaping criticism and he needs to go.

12. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    My main beef with ireland is his inability to not get **** ups in free agency and the o line stunt he pulled last year. The rest eh. The dez bryant question still to me, wasn't out of bounds. He could have been a bit more courteous but I don't think it's nearly the sin its being made out to be, nor do I think other businesses would have been much more tactful. The outdated parcellian philosophy I don't agree with. I don't think the games completely changed like most seem to think on here. And failure to addres the qb position to me is more of a failure to hit on a qb rather then address it. WR, TE wise I think he's also done a pretty bad job.

13. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    FD, you spent time on your post. You are entitled to an analytical response.

Ireland has had exactly one draft that he ran himself without the interference of his mentor, the Tuna. Most of the people he drafted have not made an immediate impact, except for Pouncey (to be expected), and he toils in the trenches, mostly unseen and unappreciated.

In free agency, Ireland addressed a glaring need at running back and brought in a guy nobody wanted who turned out to be a 1,000 yard back. He brought in a quarterback to back up our starter who ended up posting better numbers than our starter, who was let go.

Ireland decided not to throw money at free agent quarterbacks with huge question marks. He traded a 1,200 yard receiver who had gotten himself in trouble yet again and could get suspended, for two third rounders. He has brought in some free agents so far who are not of starter quality. The draft has not happened yet.

Those are the facts. Further facts are that he is conservative and plays it safe. He makes no blockbuster moves that are fraught with risk. But the coaching staff was blamed for ineffective game planning, play calling, and failing to teach fundamentals, and was fired. That's not on the GM.

Buoniconti makes observations that I agree with: there is a perception in the football press of a downward spiral, and whether right or not, it needs to be addressed. It is addressable marginally by having Nat Moore help close free agent deals, but ultimately only by winning.

In the end, not only is the jury not back on what moves Ireland will end up making this preseason; the evidence isn't even closed yet. The outcry to fire Ireland now is a knee-jerk reaction to the negative pub, combined with long-term frustration. The season has to be over before we can judge whether Ireland knows what he's doing. The chips may not fall correctly for him, but that's an occupational hazard. We would be best served, as Ireland himself has asked, by letting it play out.

Bulldog likes this.
  14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Not nearly as weak as your reply. Starting with the exodus of Bill Parcells, which is the only truly accurate time period that you can criticize Ireland, name his 5 worst moves. I'm not saying he didn't deserve some disrespect during BP's time here, but you have absolutely ZERO clue (like any of us) on what happened behind closed doors and how much of it was ireland's fault for bad decisions and how much he may have been overridden by BP. I've seen your posts against Ireland, pure speculation IMO.

And for the record, I'm not a big Ireland fan. I think it's just plain friggin stupid how the CLB (love that term by Fin) judges Ireland based on very little evidence. I hope none of you ever actually get to manage a large group of people or resources, because if you do, I feel sorry for them.

Frankly, the only really horrible move I've seen by Ireland was Marc Columbo. that was indeed a stupid mistake, but I'm not seeing anything that sticks out.

Bulldog and Fin D like this.
  15. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    That's fair. I don't agree with everything, but it's fair. The prostitute thing, I just kind of thing the fact that players and media are still bringing it up says it was a mistake in judgement. It's one of those things that even if we're all convinced there was nothing wrong with the question, the fact that there are enough players, people in the media, etc out there who are convinced it's wrong kind of makes it wrong. I've said things that I don't think I was really saying anything wrong at all. But enough people gave me grief over it where I realize, "Well, ****, it wasn't a big deal but I should have just kept my mouth shut to avoid everyone getting their panties in a bunch."

And when I say Ireland has to go, I should say I think we still have to see what he does in the draft. But if he fails to find a QB and other talent that can get this team to a winning season this year, that should be all the evidence we need to realize the GM is a big part of the problem in Miami.

The point it becomes appropriate, IMHO, to fire Jeff Ireland will be when we are mathematically eliminated from a winning season.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I am not loyal to Ireland in anyway. I have no faith in him one way or the other.

I am loyal to reason. I have said repeatedly, I just want actual evidence and not conjecture.

17. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    My breaking point was Monday. Up till that day, there was some faith left in me for this guy. I can't find it in me to defend him any longer. It would be ridiculous to fire him at this point. We have to stay with the guy until after the season, now is not the time to change GM's. Who knows, maybe Philbin can make some magic happen and turn this thing around, maybe Irelands plan comes together and all this is a bunch of foolish overreaction. Who knows? Obviously I hope everything does work so I will refrain from anymore piling on until after the season is over. But if the rest of the year keeps going with further humiliations he will have to go.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    First name me one thing I got wrong. I did ask you first, after all. Back it up with fact.

19. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    This is very true. The one thing I'll give Ireland credit for, is he's not terrible during the draft. It's the one area where his personality has no bearing (unless other teams refuse to trade with him). I don't doubt he'll find us at least a couple of solid players in this year's draft. I question whether he'll find us the most important piece (QB), but I'm sure he'll find some other solid pieces.

To fire Ireland now would be like firing your accountant on April 14th.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I reject your criteria because I have never once said Ireland was an above average anything. You want me to defend an argument I never made. That's why you're weak.

Bulldog likes this.
  21. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The burden falls on the Ireland supporters to show me how this guy is better than an average GM. The Ireland Jock Sniffers (IJS, two can play at the name calling game) haven't shown me what he's done that is impressive. I don't need to show the IJS his terrible moves, our record over the past 3 years shows that when taken as a whole shows that our roster is crap.

However, here's my top-5 Ireland blunders:

1. We still don't have a QB.
    2. We still only have 2 guys on the o-line that can play.
    3. Brandon Marshall. Do I need to explain it?
    4. He's completely unable to grasp the fact that the new NFL is all about passing the football. The team is built for the 70s and 80s.
    5. The 2010 draft. We traded down and got Odrick and Misi. We passed on playmakers like JPP and Earl Thomas and Dez Bryant (I'm not gonna touch that) in order to get another D-lineman and a complete bust.

22. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    So if you think he's average, why keep him!??!!?!?!? This is insane! Why are you defending a guy who you will not back as anything other than average????!?!?!!

23. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    My fact was that you're not looking at the totality of his body of work. I wanted him fired before all the stuff in your OP.

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Goddammit.

There must be a link between panicking and not paying attention, because you are doing both.

I have never said what kind of GM I think Ireland is. Because I don't know, because I haven't seen enough of him without Parcells calling the shots.

I have said that a 100 times. I have said he's a good/great GM 0 times.

But in the face of all those facts, you still believe something that didn't happen. Its as if you're doing the same thing with Ireland...oh wait...

25. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I almost started crying, but then I remembered something...Ireland needs to go because of incompetence.

Ireland states Miami's #1 goal is to upgrade the QB position this offseason and Miami would be bold in doing it. Of course, Peyton wouldn't give him the time of day. Ireland wasn't bold in signing Flynn or Smith. Signing Garrard has the look of desperation. Garrard's other option was to sign as Sam Bradford's backup in St. Louis.

I guess it can be argued Ireland was BOLD in scooping Garrard right out from under the Rams. He pulled a fast on Fisher...PAYBACK!!!

Yesterday, Ireland says he is "happy" with the QB situation...are you ****ing kidding Ireland? You are happy the Dolphins only have a proven backup in Moore and a 34 year old castoff coming off back surgery under 1 year contracts...PLEASE!

That alone is grounds enough to be fired for being incompetent.

But do any of the Ireland fans seriously think Miami has gotten better considering our losses vs. our signings this offseason?

B. Marshall, Langford, Bell, Henne, W. Allen, Carey, JT have been replaced by R. Marshall, Garrard, Hicks, and Westerman...and has burned up the salary cap in signing those players.

Maybe poor Ireland is not getting a fair shake in the media. But I don't recall too many players around the league going after a GM they way players are with Ireland. When there are that many players taking shots at a GM I doubt they are all making **** up.

Defend Ireland all you want, but only an IDIOT would say upgrading the QB position is the #1 priority and be bold in doing it and then not even come close to delivering. Ireland has earned the right to be fired, not because of the players, the fans, the media's perception of him (which is enough btw), but because he has proven himself to be incompetent.

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The draft. Its this thing where football teams build their rosters with. Most teams with franchise QBs got their QBs from it and not FA. Anyway that draft thing....yeah it hasn't happened yet.

ToddsPhins and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  27. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Nor can you give actual evidence it was Bill P who screwed the team and not IRISH You are right STFU!

28. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

There are two segments of the Pro-Ireland camp. There's the "Look at his great moves" and the "It was all Parcells". The problem is that those are very contradictory.

If it was all Parcells, Wake, Dansby, Davis, Smith, Long, Pennington, [retaining] Soliai, Langford, McDaniel, Bess, Hartline, Marshall, Fasano, and Incognito cannot be used to bolster Ireland's reputation. It would only be 2010 forward which includes Moore, Gates, Clay, Bush, Colombo, Burnett, Jerry, and Jones, etc. Personally, I think the first list is better than the second. But, if you want to give him credit for the first list, then everyone who was trash like Eric Green, Ernest Wilford, Smiley, Grove, Berger, Josh McCown, Reggie Torbor, Dobbins, Murphy, etc. count against him as well. The blame game is a double edged sword.

MonstBlitz and AdamC13 like this.
  29. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    I understand building through the draft and agree with that as a solid long-term strategy in building a team.

There is also this thing about "making statements" to the public and then NOT delivering. Particularly when it comes to the QB position given the carousel since Marino retired.

There were probably 2 QBs that fit the bill for upgrading the QB situation...Luck and RG3. Miami won't be getting either of them.

So now Miami will most likely be spending the #8 pick on Tannehill who clearly looks he isn't ready to start, if he ever is, when the #8 pick could have gone to other needs and Miami has other needs. Most thought Tannehill was a high 2nd round pick before the typical hyperbowl for QBs in the draft started around him about a month ago.

So how is spending the #8 pick on a QB in the draft either bold or an upgrade? BTW...do you know how often 1st round picks actually turn out to be franchise type QBs, particularly when the most talented and NFL ready (Luck and RG3) are off the board?

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Piss off.

I have said I can't. I have also said since neither side can tell me one way or the other, how can you guys be so damn sure.

I am the one asking for proof. You are the one saying proof is pointless. That makes you the fool.

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If the draft hasn't happened yet, how are they not delivering?

They never said they were going to bring in Flynn. They never said they were going to sign a big name free agent QB.

How are you not getting this?

32. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    For this franchise? Drafting a QB in the first round is very bold.

Most who?

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The problem is thinking that if someone is not in the Fire Ireland camp they are in the Pro Ireland camp.

34. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Seriously?

Ireland, himself, said Miami's #1 priority this off season was to "upgrade" the QB position and would be bold in doing it.

You think drafting a QB who at best is the #3 QB in the draft and then will need to be developed is an upgrade and bold?

When you get that point is when you will get why I don't get your point...:lol:

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I see. This all based on:

- Your opinion of the available QBs
    - And what you think Ireland is going to do in the draft

Tell you what Sport, explain how those two points are facts and we'll talk.

36. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Make that:

FACT: Ireland made statement Miami's #1 priority is to upgrade QB position and be bold doing it. Do you really not get this?

-My opinion of the QBs who were available, but aren't now.
    -And my opinion there are only 2 franchise QBs in the draft (or at the very least who can help Miami win relatively soon), but won't be going to Miami.

I suppose you think your opinions are actually based on facts?

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    What opinions have I given? That the draft hasn't happened yet?

38. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    what you don't seem to comprehend is that by definition, most of the GMs in the league are considered either average or below average. IMO, there are only a handful of really good GMs.
    If one of them wants to come to Miami, then by all means replace Ireland. But given that this team has sucked for 2 decades, I don't see those elite GMs or elite candidate GMs knocking down the door.

39. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    "AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OMG we didn't agree not to sign Flynn!!!!!!!!!!!! AGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!Its like I'm on fire!!!!!!!!!!! Fans that don't agree with me kill babies!!!!!!!!!!! Not the country, the country is filled with wonderful people. But the Fans for the Dolphins suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They are the devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Support my view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...wait, what do you mean what player? Why do we need players? Who cares it was player and we didn't get him, Ireland loves us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I will slap you with my twisted spork!!!!!!"

Perhaps it's the way you present the message if you feel nobody listens anymore.

As for this post, you are right. Ireland will most likely be fired because Dolfans and the media want his head. The way the media was dealt with has them against him for making their jobs tougher I suppose and the fans seem to hold him accountable along with Ross. They can't fire Ross so they go after Ireland.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That was hardly my first post on the topic. It probably wasn't even my 30th. I'll accept your criticism when you levy it to everyone else who as acted exactly the same.