1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seahawks signed QB Matt Flynn to three-year, $26 million contract

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dgb11112, Mar 18, 2012.

1. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    Seahawks signed QB Matt Flynn to three-year, $26 million contract.
    The deal includes $10 million guaranteed, $2 million less than Kevin Kolb got from the Cardinals last summer. The second best quarterback on the market may have been hoping for more, but it's an impressive haul for a former seventh-round pick who's attempted all of 132 career passes. It's a gamble for the Seahawks, but one worth taking after their quarterback duo of Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst effectively killed any real shot they had of making the playoffs in 2011. The Dolphins are now left to woo David Garrard and Alex Smith. In Seattle, Flynn will likely be primarily a game manager. He is a good decision maker and should excel in the role, but we wouldn't be optimistic about top-15 quarterback stats. Flynn will be a clear-cut QB2.

LMFAO At Ireland and ROSS!

2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Really?

3. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    It doesn't matter.
    We have been inept for more than a decade trying to find/( ? ) a QB..... We will rebound next year.

4. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I've moved the other thread and warnings will be issued from some of the posts. Any personal attacks in this thread will result in a ban.

5. Clifford

Clifford New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SF offered alex smith 3 yrs 24 mill. 2 mill less than Flynn.

6. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    "Getting a quarterback is our top priority." -Stephen Ross

Remember, Ross never said it was going to be a great qb. Hell he never said it will be a moderately decent qb.

Awwww hell. We are so f'd.

Dorfdad likes this.
  7. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    This looks really bad. The team clearly targeted both Flynn and Manning, and they lost out on both. I can even see a narrative developing that in pursuing Manning when there was no realistic chance, the team torpedoed its chances for Flynn.

With that said, winning in the fall salves all wounds from the offseason. I can only hope somebody knows what they're doing and the team does well under its new coach next year. No use crying too much over this spilled milk, no matter how tasty it seemed.

8. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    The difficult thing to figure out is if we fumbled the opportunity away or if Philbin was not sold on him.

9. BlueTalon

BlueTalon New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Washington State
    I don't think it's as bleak for you guys as you might think. Alex Smith is a better QB than many people realize, and he's talking with the Dolphins right now. (Isn't he?)

That said, if you don't sign Smith, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

10. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    If it were the latter, the team could have chosen to distance itself from Flynn. They didn't. The only reason they wouldn't have done that would have been to do Flynn some sort of favor, and the question then would be what is in it for the Dolphins to do that. I can see no reason they'd go in that direction.

11. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo 'Saban' Guy

Apr 14, 2010
    Western New York
    I'm not going to lose any sleep over missing out on a guy that is probably going to be a FA again in a few years.

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    What's targeting?

We met with them and didn't come to terms with either.

People just assume we went all out for both and missed. Doubt that's the case.

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    How? Maybe we met with him a few different times to try to get his price down and it didn't happen.

14. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh my goodness ireland just loss another gamble!!! The man sucks at poker for sure and guess what were going into the season with a much weaker team than last year. The only thing left to do is watch Peyton go to ten Alex sign with sf again and than please Matt Moore hold out or refuse to play for us lol I'm officially done with this team Philbin can't fix Ireland who without a doubt is our biggest problem..

Good luck filling seats next year lol I'm not buying nfl Sunday ticket I can just read the losses in the newspapers

15. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    :lol:

That's a pretty low stress approach! By the same token, that's pretty reasonable in all honesty. There is no reason for us to ever sweat this stuff in all reality. It's not as though it makes any difference.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I hate KingMotion. He's an idiot.

shula_guy and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  17. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    Given the owner's quote referenced in this thread and everything we seem to know, it is not reasonable in my opinion to conclude that there was some casual level of interest in these players.

18. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    Jimmy don't know.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    :omg:

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom. I'm just trying to see this for what it is: not a positive sign. Manning might suck or might have to retire the first time he takes a hard hit. Matt Flynn could be the Scott Mictchell for the 2010s. Sometimes what seems like a bad move in free agency or even an abject failure to do what seems to be the right thing ends up being a serious blessing.

21. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    It's starting to smell like a scam. Pretend to be interested in these guys than public ally say we tried. I'm sure Ross has been bleeding money since he begun dismantaling the team player by player.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I understand not signing Flynn stings some of the fan base, but there's still Smith, Tannehill, and Weeden, all of whom might be better options than Flynn.... and all of whom might be the best options outside of Manning, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is currently about. If draft day comes and goes and we hypothetically still don't have Smith, Tannehill, or Weedon, then it'd be time to become concerned, but as of now there are still some valuable cards in the deck.

Ozzy, DolfanTom and RGF like this.
  23. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Sure, some level.

But like I said, people like to make it sound like we go all-out for every FA we don't get and then say "OOoooooo Ross and Ireland blew it again."

:lol:

24. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Looks like we are going to have to reach in the draft for tannerhil and pray we can get him.

25. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    I really feel we couldn't pick the winner of a one horse race. This is sad.

26. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    this is going to drive me to ****ing drink

27. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I don't think it is about who is a better option at this point in terms of arguments. It is about how inept this front office is, the perception of them among the players, and how they are always in play but never a player.

They are constantly used for leverage, but it is never the other way around. You have their actions away from the field (Ross's antics & Ireland's Bryant comments). What is one of the most desirable markets has become a don't buy option for the top level talents. Hell, the middle ones just use us to get what they want from someone else. Ross and Ireland are snake oil salesmen, yet they don't even have any product to sell.

Right now it doesn't make much difference in who they land. Your options are chicken piss and chicken poop. Either way, it isn't a desirable option. Fact is that these dodo heads go ALL IN the hen house for everyone, yet come out only with egg on their face.

28. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there

Agreed. Not sure why people don't get it.

29. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Lots of facts.

30. BlueTalon

BlueTalon New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Washington State
    That's old news though. The story behind Smith's offer from the Digits is that Smith was told he was their QB going forward. Harbaugh also said, when asked, that they weren't going to pursue Manning because they had "equity" in Smith, and that the locker room continuity and chemistry with Smith was worth more to the team than Manning + upheaval his presence would represent. In other words, Manning's upside was offset by the downside of the necessary adjustment.

In this context, Smith wanted and expected a 5 year deal, and was only being offered a 3 year deal. And then, the Digits started a full-court press for Manning.

Plus, Smith's agent also was Manning's agent, and because of the conflict of interest, he dumped his now former agent.

With all that as a backdrop, the 3 year offer from the Digits means very little. I think the Dolphins could offer him exactly the same deal, and he would probably take it.

31. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    Alex Smith is not a player who interests me at all. One 3000 yard season? No thank you.

32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Bc that's not what their TV tells them.

TV wouldn't lie.

33. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Well you can kind of tell what FA's seem more important than not..... but you have to go by the effort. the rest is just media speculation and hype.

This is just a case of... they felt they could live without him.

Seems they are a lot more interested in Smith, which is unfortunate.

edit: going from Manning immediately to the Flynn meeting was the deal breaker in my head. I guess you never really know.

34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Nobody knows the effort or what they're offering. Or even if they make an offer for that matter.

How do they seem a lot more interested in Smith? And that's assuming you mean as a starter. That makes 0 sense to me.

35. Mike80

Mike80 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Phoenix,AZ
    This is starting to get beyond ridiculous, who will they bring in next Jeff George?

36. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Would have been nice to have used our first round pick on something other than QB. But I'm still not jumping off a bridge yet. If we don't come away with a QB #1, I'll want blood.

Really would love to know what Philbin truly thought of Flynn and if he coveted him. In that case, you'd have to be upset.

And really, we need to just stick with Matt Moore at this point. No Alex Smith.

37. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    Bernie Kosar isn't doing much these days.

Mike80 likes this.
  38. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I'd really like to know as well, and thats the problem is that we don't. Who knows if Philbin even really voices his opinion, let alone if it was heard and weighted with Flynns demands.

39. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

MY GOD PEOPLE....

WHAT PART OF .....DRAFT A QB is everyone forgetting...?

40. BlueTalon

BlueTalon New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Washington State
    I don't know the people on this board, but did you want Flynn? If so... based on two games?