1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading Down and Out

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by JMORGAN6977, Mar 17, 2012.

1. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    Crazy Idea off of the top of my head.....

Would one of the top 4 be willing to trade their #1 next year and this years second for our #8? Is this even close as far as the draft pick value chart?

The reason I say this is, if the team is that high on tanny and he is gone, why not try and develop Moore this year and have 2 #1's next year to land Barkley if it does not pan out. Tanny is a good prospect but not a high possibility to start on opening day. Barkley could be an opening day starter next year. We could get a receiver and DE in the top of the second round. It would be like having 2 late first round draft picks.... I think Rams or Cleveland would be perfect suitors as they may end up with a top 5 pick next year too.

If Moore turns out to flourish under Philbin, we have two #1's next year to address the last couple holes we have to make us a legit contender.

Add that to the fact Philbin wants to build this team through the draft.

shula_guy likes this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't really like it simply for the fact that if you want to try and build around Flynn/Moore you need to surround them with talent. I'm actually one of the few that thinks Moore could have success in a well run offense (something he has not enjoyed in any of his years in the NFL).

I would give up the #8 pick for a late first (20-24ish) this year and a first next year however if a team were willing. That gives you a chance to pick up a good first round talent this season possibly at WR and extra ammo for next year.

Pandarilla and JMORGAN6977 like this.
  3. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    If we can manage staying in first and picking up a first next year that would be awesome. I just don't have the value chart handy....

I am just not a fan of our current spot in the draft and highly doubt we trade picks to move up.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Honestly I don't go by or like the value chart. It devalues the strength of the individual draft. You have to think a team moving up to #8 without trading away their first would have a late second anyway which makes it more like a third. The reason I say this is that if they were close to us (12-18 or so) we would just swap firsts and maybe gain a third. There is a lot of talent in this draft so I'd really rather stay in the first round even if it is later.

5. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Alex my friend, you need to update your sig, lol.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I posted in the graphics forum! Im too lazy to make my own these days.

7. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I would be more inclined to drop just 2-3 spots for like a 3rd and 5th (don't think folks give up a 2nd just for a few spots in that range) and still be in range to draft Luke K. and have 3 3rd rounders to stock the offense with.

8. Before the Redskins made their move I brought up a very similiar idea as yours. I suggested it might be smart for Miami to trade their 1st rd pick to Washington for their 2nd rd this year and their 1st and 2nd next year. I think that would of given us a strong postion in the next draft. Snyder could of offered our 1st and their 1st to the Rams for the #2 pick. I think it would of been a win all around.

The problem with your idea is you need a partner who is desperate enough to make a trade like that with you. Besides Washington who already made their deal I am not sure there is anyone else Out there who would be willing to give up too much to move up to #8. A lot will depend on who is left on the board when the Dolphins are on the clock.

9. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I want Blackmon if he is nearby when we draft although i dont have aproblem with trading down but I dont want to give up picks i want to gain picks. last time we draft we traded down while are afc east rivials aquired more draftpics and we traded dwon but really didnt gain anything because we could have had dez bryant bt that is what it apearedto be so if we did that i want more draft picks.

10. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure thats enough. If the redskins had to give up 3 firsts and a 2nd for the #2 overall. I'd think for the #8 overall we'd need at least 2 firsts and a later round pick. Not looking at the chart at all just going off of relative worth to what has happened.

I'd say we're more likely to get a suitor from the mid to bottom of round 1 who have most of their pieces and who are enamored with one guy, maybe one of the defensive linemen, and are willing to pull a sanchez-like trade to get him. First rounder, second rounder and a first or second next year. I'd be fine with that

11. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Depends on how "good" we think Flynn can be. If he can't be an All-Pro, I was thinking we could trade back so we could have two 1st next year and then trade those two 1st, our 2nd, and two 3rds for Matt Barkley. If you think Flynn can be an All-Pro I don't really see the advantage of trading down unless we recoup picks in this years draft.

12. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    "The Falcons really coveted a receiver in the first round because they were eager to move up from the 27th spot. It was a blockbuster deal. In exchange for getting the sixth pick, Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...es-in-draft-shocker-with-browns#ixzz1pQkq52fe

Based on that deal we could probably trade down into the late 20s and recoup a 1st next year and probably a 3rd this year

pennphinfan and JMORGAN6977 like this.
  13. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Ideally I would love to drop back 5-6 spots in the first round and acquire a 2nd rounder. That way, we can still draft a top rated DE and have 2 2nds and 2 3rds to get a couple WRs, a TE, and a CB/S.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'd do it b/c I like the guys likely available atop the 2nd round, but I don't think Miami would go for it b/c they might seek too much value for the 8th pick in a trade back to the 2nd round than teams would be willing to give up.
    We'd probably stand a better chance of trading back and picking up an extra 2nd than we would trading back to the 2nd and picking up an extra first.

15. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Exactly, pump the brakes...WR's are notoriously more miss than hit in the first round, I'd feel better if we dropped and not risk overpaying for garbage while we install this offense.

16. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Hopefully Trent Richardson falls to us and someone wants to jump up and grab him.

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    what up RB, good to see ya around bro..