1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Winds. Free Agency, Wide Receivers in the Draft, Dolphins Meetings

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Boomer, Mar 16, 2012.

1. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Awesome Boom. Good to see you bro!

Boomer likes this.
  2. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Good read although he lost me on the drafting a WR in the 2nd.
    I hope they're not looking for a WR who is just about 6 ft tall and slower than most CB's.
    I'm a firm believer in spreading the field to see what the D gives you and exploiting that formation.
    We have some agility with Bess/Bush,but the speed is needed also.We are still lacking in that department.Gates hasn't proved anything yet.

3. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Miss your posts so much Boom! BTW which soccer team do you follow? I am trying to pick a soccer team to officially adopt lol. I am leaning towards Arsenal...

Boomer likes this.
  4. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    You too buddy

SICK likes this.
  5. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Did you not read it? Clyde Gates has speed. You can get open without top speed. Ask Jordy Nelson or Donald Driver. It's about schemes.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    No Patrick Edwards in the mix Boom?

7. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Yeah I got DHyde's tweet about this early today ... great read as always :up:

Boomer likes this.
  8. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    I wish my homework was as entertaining as this, thanks Boomer!
    :up:

Boomer likes this.
  9. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Hey Boomer what are your thoughts on Ryan Broyles being a good fit or not, assuming he is fully recovered from torn ACL?

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Looks like we're still in it for Winston:

I think we'll get outbid but we'll see.

If we do add him and Anderson I'll have some sports wood.

SICK likes this.
  11. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Great to see you on here, Boom. Looking forward to the read ..

Boomer likes this.
  12. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    And, I love Weeden as well. But still want to hear about a signing of Flynn by the Dolphins this weekend.

13. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    No Boom. You are an educated opinion. Love your swagger tho with your post. ;-)
    Every yr we, the experts all get it wrong but i luv who we want and think we will grab even tho 9 times out of 10 we get it wrong. p.s good write up.

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I absolutely love Broyles. He's my favourite WR in the Draft. I know from speaking to Wort just how hard working Broyles is. I would love to see him as a Dolphin.

15. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Yep,I responded with....

I'm a firm believer in spreading the field to see what the D gives you and exploiting that formation.
    We have some agility
    but the speed is needed also.
    We are still lacking in that department.Gates hasn't proved anything yet. in that he is unproven.

That's my opinion,you catching on?

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Did you see the part where he pointed out that the Packers didn't need the speed and had a pretty good offense.

Boomer and ssmiami like this.
  17. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I like Chris Givens, think he can be our Greg Jennings. Double up with a Broyles and we'll be set.

18. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You guys are breaking racial barriers in the NFL. McNutt = Jordy Nelson.

Boomer and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  19. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Boomer what do you think of B.J. Cunningham?

20. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Never draft a guy who goes by B.J. :wink2:

ssmiami, 2xBlown, CaribPhin and 2 others like this.
  21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    But the Packers do have speed.
    Jennings is a 4.42 guy and plays fast.
    Driver ran a 4.45.
    Cobb is a 4.46 guy and plays fast.
    Nelson is a 4.51 ex track guy who also plays fast.

Jason Jones doesn't have great top end speed but his pro day 10 yard split was 1.49.
    Nelson's 10 yard: 1.50
    Cobb's 10 yard: 1.56
    Jennings': 1.57

That's pretty fast. As a group they have both short speed and long speed. They can all get open quickly, make plays, and make plays down field to boot. They force you to defend the entire field.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Boomer posted different numbers.

23. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I respectfully disagree about the notion of there being any sort of "height parameter".
    GB brought in Tori Gurley last year who's 6'4 216. When paired with Nelson, that dispels any "height" notion IMO.
    If GB had a height parameter they wouldn't have made Nelson the 3rd receiver drafted in 2008, and after Jordy's remarkable 2011 season, I doubt Philbin ignores any 6'2+ receiver with the potential to have a Jordy Nelson type impact. That would be silly IMO. If the player has the intangibles he has the intangibles, and having the intangibles plus height should make him more appealing, not less.

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I listed what NFLdraftscout uses, and I don't know them to ever be inaccurate.
    Bottom line is, the group has a good combination of quickness & long speed.

25. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I also don't agree with the "no 1st round WR" notion.

Following Philbin's 1st season as Green Bay's OC in 2007, what do the Packers do for his offense? They used their 1st draft pick in 2008 on the 6'3 217 Jordy Nelson. Just sayin. That pretty much expels the height/no 1st round WR belief.

The Packers already had Driver & Jennings, so there was little need to spend a 1st on a WR. If anything, Green Bay's willingness to use high draft picks on WRs despite being talented at the position leads me to believe Philbin would have no reservations about using a 1st on a WR with the cupboard being barren.

26. ssmiami

ssmiami Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Nelson was a 2nd round pick

SICK and Boomer like this.
  27. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [TABLE="class: wikitable sortable jquery-tablesorter, width: 1"]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: unsortable"][/TH]
    [TH="class: headerSort, bgcolor: #A8BDEC, align: center"]Rnd.[/TH]
    [TH="class: headerSort, bgcolor: #A8BDEC, align: center"]Pick #[/TH]
    [TH="class: headerSort, bgcolor: #A8BDEC, align: center"]NFL team[/TH]
    [TH="class: headerSort, bgcolor: #A8BDEC, align: center"]Player[/TH]
    [TH="class: headerSort, bgcolor: #A8BDEC, align: center"]Pos.[/TH]
    [TH="class: headerSort, bgcolor: #A8BDEC, align: center"]College[/TH]
    [TH="class: headerSort, bgcolor: #A8BDEC, align: center"]Conf.[/TH]
    [TH="class: unsortable, bgcolor: #A8BDEC, align: center"]Notes[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE="class: wikitable sortable jquery-tablesorter, width: 1"]
    [TR]
    [TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]2[/TH]
    [TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]36[/TH]
    [TD]Green Bay Packers[/TD]
    [TD]Jordy Nelson[/TD]
    [TD]WR[/TD]
    [TD]Kansas State[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Big 12[/TD]
    [TD]from New York Jets[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

SICK, Boomer and ssmiami like this.
  28. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    No. You still don't get it.

Try reading the article.

29. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Todd, why do they "play fast"? They play fast because they do what the receivers in the artcile do; they run very good crisp routes which allowes them to play fast. The Donald Driver time isn't from the Combine as Driver wasn't at the Combine.

ssmiami likes this.
  30. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Gurley was an UDFA. Little bit different to what I'm talking about.

We're talking about players that were drafted during the Philbin regime. As I FAIRLY CLEARLY explained, Nelson is the exception to the rule. But then very few players of Nelson's size have the numbers that he had.

ssmiami likes this.
  31. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Jordy Nelson was a second round pick so again, you're losing me.

He was the 36th overall pick.

In the second round.

Which means that during the tenure of Joe Philbin in Green Bay, they never drafted a WR in round 1 but hit home runs with three out of 4 drafted in round 2 and missed on the other not because he was a bust but because a helmet to helmet hit knocked him out of football.

And of ALL the receivers picked in the Philbin era, only one - Jordy Nelson - didn't fit the height/weight parameter but did fit everything else in terms of movement ability; rare for a guy of his size.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  32. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I'll have to disagree here. Your center of mass as a shorter receiver is lower which allows you much more agility and body control than the usual 6'3'' 6'4'' guy. That's why the Chargers and Saints have so much emphasis on vertical and straight routes (posts, flies, slants). In an offense where crisp routes and excellent body control are favored, a player around 5'10''-6-0'' would tend to be better at controlling themselves. There's a reason you don't see 6'4" guys doing what Davone Bess or Wes Welker do.

Boomer likes this.
  33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    1.49 and 1.50 10 yard splits aren't fast in their own right?

34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Green Bay had the 30th pick of the 1st round in 2008. That pick was traded back to #36, so yes, Jordy was "technically" a 2nd rounder, but he was still their first draft pick, and he was essentially the player GB used their 30th pick on.

Semantics aside, Nelson was who they used their 30th pick on.

After hitting on Jennings and already had a 3rd invested in Jones, wouldn't a 1st rounder on WR be a poor use of resources? Personally, I don't think we can say what GB would've done (regarding a 1st round WR) because they were never in the position of dire need at receiver that we're currently in. However, they see enough value in the position to still use high draft picks despite already having a talented receiving corps, so IMO perceived value is perceived value. If they perceive it high enough to use a 2nd on Cobb despite having Jennings, Nelson, Driver, and Jones rostered, then IMO they might perceive it high enough to use a 1st on a #1 go to WR for a team that currently has none.

Where you see an "unwillingness to use a 1st on a WR" I see a "willingness to repeatedly use high draft picks on WR, even when it appears to be a luxury". IMO not having technically used a 1st on the position was nothing more than coincidence.

And that's all I was saying. If there are a few guys who fit the movement requirements but have height as well, I couldn't see ruling them out. That's why I don't see why Floyd would be eliminated from discussion. Or what about mid rounder on Greg Childs? I know you were a huge fan prior to injury.

35. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    HA HA HA HA.

What a load of nonsense. Nelson was a 2nd round pick by a team who had a number of likes and few needs and got value in the pick with. Sorry that you got it wrong and all, but this is hilarious.

36. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Keep on diggin' fella.

37. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
  38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Boom, as I fairly clearly explained as well, the 6'3 217 pound Nelson was the FIRST player taken by GB immediately following Philbin's first year as OC. Are you saying it's not possible for Philbin to have expressed a desire for a big playmaking WR who can run good routes and catch the ball vertically, hence the selection of Jordy?

Perhaps Philbin has an affinity toward that one, big, go-to receiver in his offense who can score TDs, and if that's the case we have a huge hole there. If Philbin doesn't like tall receivers, then why did Nelson have almost as many targets as the back to back Pro Bowler, Jennings, but with 6 more TDs? That's not even mentioning Jordy's 18.6 avg (while Jennings' dipped to over 2 yards below his previous 4 year average) which tells me Philbin might prefer using the bigger guy down field, and if we land Flynn who doesn't have an elite arm, he'll likely need a larger receiver to help make the vertical aspect possible, no.

39. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    A 2nd round pick is a 2nd round pick. That is like saying 1995's 4th round pick Jamie Brown was a first rounder just because Denver didn't have any picks in the first, 2nd or 3rd ;p

ssmiami likes this.