1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Ireland...

Discussion in 'SoapBox - Rants forum' started by RevRick, Mar 14, 2012.

1. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    All of this 'Jeff Ireland is the worst......" regurgitory verbosity is reaching the point of being absolutely absurd. It is at best a knee jerk (focus on the jerk!) reaction by a group of people who are not now, and probably will never, and do not understand much of anything it takes to be a NFL general manager, do not know what is going on behind the scenes, and are acting like a bunch of overwrought hens with a rabid fox loose in the henhouse at the merest hint the possibility of an idea offered by a media talking head whose primary function in the world is to generate just this kind of non-thinking hand-wringing twitterpation!!!! It would seem that some people are two short steps from jumping off the Truman bridge in Jacksonville because of the responses on this and other boards.

We are not yet into 24 hours of Free Agency, and are over a month from the draft, and do not know who will be cut late in training camp yet, and the season does not start until freakin' September - yet the downfall of Western Civilization is now certain because of something, anything, or nothing that Jeff Ireland did or did not do.

Get a bloody grip. This ain't Middle East politics, Tornado relief recovery, or watching a loved one die.

This is a bloody GAME!!!!!! And I am not talking about what happens between the out of bound markers. The game is getting the people in place to begin the season, not to satisfy every whim of every fan who feels they know more then the professionals, and this 'game' is much longer than the four quarters of a football game. We have the rest of March, April, May, June, July, before anything shows up on the field worth looking at seriously in August, and the real contests begin in September. I hope some of you survive and don't die of a coronary or a stroke if a media maven utters the wrong word where you can hear or see it.

Good Bloody Grief!!!

2. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    So many words.... I don't understand....... but yet... still comfort me...

...I mean.... DERP. BURN EM ALL!!!!!!!!!! *lights dumpster fires*

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Now we know the answer to the age old question:

How much whining does it take to tick off a preacher?

4. Ireland has gotten off to a poor start.

5. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    The Dolphins don't really command nor deserve patience and trust from this fan base. That being said, we need to take a wait and see approach. The new coaching staff at least should be given the opportunity to prove what they can do.

And, even if Jeff Ireland's reputation and track record is less than ideal, the outrage here based an a move at the beginning of free agency, (a move I might add, that is more about ushering the new regime than about the actual move) is a little overboard to say the least.

6. It was a poor move regardless of why he pulled the trigger on the trade. He got back much less then what he gave up to get him and he did not save a huge amount of cap space nor is it even known if we need that cap space savings. I don't hate the guy but it was a bad deal and fans should be upset over it.

7. Moves

Moves Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    Yet the entire board would be moaning and groaning over Marshall being involved with hitting a woman and how we should get rid of him if he was still on the team. I enjoy the logic on these boards.

gunn34 likes this.
  8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    [​IMG]

9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    He would not have even received two 3rd rd picks after the news broke.

10. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Let it all out Rev there's plenty more still to come I'm sure of it.

11. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    A Question: Do you get the same amount for trading in your car (except for Corvettes, Maybach, or MacLarens!) that you paid for it no matter how well it ran when you drove it? Players, like most components of a whole, depreciate with time in service and age. Getting two Third Round picks for a proven headache and an unproven touchdown receiver (9 in two years!) no matter how many yards, who may be facing a suspension because of conduct detrimental to the league (one of several such incidences) should be more than adequate. Getting a First Round Pick for Marshall probably would have gotten Ireland a promotion to Assistant Commissioner.

12. I would say we have a difference of opinions on this. Marshall is worth more then the 2 3rd RDers that we got for him. Like the guy or not he is one of the best WRs on the market and he has plenty of solid play left in front of him. The off the field incidents are troubling but not enough to justify cutting him from the team at such a discounted worth not to mention the wasted garunteed monies invested in him. I'm not part of the crowd that bashes Ireland for everything he does but this was a bad trade. Ireland should of been able to get more for him then he did.

Edit: I would of been more satisified with this deal if he had at least poached one of chicagos starters off their roster along with the 2 3rds. At the very least we should of been swapping holes with one another on the deal.

13. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    How is that so? To be honest if we can score Eric Winston that's a win and we don't have to waste our first round pick on yet another OL.

gunn34 likes this.
  14. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Really after the news today, I think Ireland scored with that trade.

gunn34 likes this.
  15. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I don't. You're talking about permanently trading a player away because of a temporary suspension. You're still talking about a pro bowl, top-10 WR in the league. And you're talking about two 3rd round picks, which are pretty useless as far as value in a trade.

and pardon my ire here, but Ireland doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. He has had several years here to build his track record, and it's not particularly rosy. You may tire of hearing all the Ireland bashing, but don't act like it's not remotely warranted. The dude hasn't exactly done the best job. A handful of good free agent pickups last year doesn't negate everything else.

I'm not saying fire the guy - but he's earned all the flack he gets.

16. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, the posts defending Ireland are classic.

17. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Things will be just fine.

I Just took a quick look at PFTs top 100 FA list and 22 hours into free agency only 8 teams have signed a free agent that wasn't their own. The Dolphins haven't lost any of their own players yet, or struck out ion a player they targeted yet, even Manning. They have been active setting up visits.

If you are losing patience with Ireland it is because you are impatient. Not because Ireland isn't doing anything.

gunn34 likes this.
  18. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Seems to be a recurring theme for the Dolphins

19. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I lost patience with Ireland a while ago. Everything that happens now is just icing. Like when Ted Ginn dropped another pass or Sparano fist-pumped another FG. Icing.

And as much as I like to be optimistic, I think we can pretty well say we've struck out on Manning. He wouldn't even come to the facility when he lives 20 minutes from the stadium.

20. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    That's so country and awesome................... YOU GUYS ARE WORSE THEN A BEAVER WITH NO TAIL!!

21. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Really top 10? I know he was #1 in drops that's for sure. As for suspension we are looking at min 4 games, but lets say he gets 8 and the hammer dropped on him. So possible, he has a history.

The trade could have easily been 2nd and a 3rd, but after the news it was dropped to two 3rds. Just maybe Philbin doesn't want to deal with Marshall at all or his off field issues. Either way Marshall is gone time to move on and before I start bashing Jeff Ireland Ill wait and see what happens first.

22. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Ginn and Sparano had nothing to do with Ireland. I'm not getting that.

I agree with Manning. I think he stays AFC, but goes to Denver.

23. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    If you've given up on Ireland why complain? Its like an Eskimo whining about snow.

I'm not being optimistic when I say we haven't struck out on Manning. I don't even want him here, honestly. But you can't whine about Ireland not getting Manning. No decision has been made. Period, and every "insider" has been wrong 10 times over about Manning.

RevRick likes this.
  24. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Except Eskimos can choose to move. I'm stuck with Ireland as long as he's here, unless I want to root for another team. But why should I have to do that? He's the one who sucks.

25. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The comparison is that they're past the point of no return, and each subsequent failure is just icing on a giant cake made of donkey ****.

26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Or they can get pushed out to sea to die.

27. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    You know, you can just call me Jeffrey.

[​IMG]