Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Weinke had similar surgery as Manning; Healed in 7 months & was Stronger

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    3,590 Fist Bumps in 1,554 Posts
    Blog Entries

..and Weinke went on and lead a team to a Superbowl victory. ...oh wait.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    14,045 Fist Bumps in 7,574 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua4Ever04 View Post
    I honestly don't know what to think anymore but I do know that Dolphins fans need to start accepting the fact that this team is going to bring in Peyton Manning. ALbert Breer reported during the combine that the team still likes Ryan Tannehill a lot and could draft him and groom him behind Manning.

That would be a homerun scenario for me. Let's get Manning in here for two years and get a quarterback in waiting on the roster at the same time. If Manning works out, we're Super Bowl contenders for the next few years and then hopefully we hand it off to a hot, young quarterback prospect. If his health fails him, give the ball to Matt Moore this year and turn it over to Tannehill in 2013 when Moore's contract is up.

I really don't see how any Dolphins fan could be against that scenario. It's literally covering every base at the most important position in all of sports and one that we have ignored for the past 12 years.
    I am against it, because I don't believe Manning will ever be healthy enough to be an effective NFL QB. He essentially has no timetable for return. He's not even back to full arm-strength, nevermind football strength. He hasn't played a football game in over one year, how long do we expect him to take to get back into football shape once his nerve regenerates (which is a wildcard itself).
    I am sick of this mess and I want to be a respectable team not a clown butt college
    Fire this inept ginger **** mother****er tonight please.

3. These 2 users offered FIST BUMPS to Stringer Bell for a solid post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Quote Originally Posted by rafael View Post
    The schedule keeps changing. He was supposed to play last season on the original schedule, but the nerve didn't regenerate. I believe he's now had a total of four surgeries, three to clear up what they believed to be causing the nerve damage and one to clear up bone spurs. After each of those three procedures he was supposed to be good in about a month, but in each case the nerve didn't regenerate. The last one was in September. Every successful case I've ever heard of had the patient back to work in about a month. When Montana had his procedure he was playing great on day 56. He actually could have played sooner but Young was playing great so Montana had lost the starting job. I don't know what the "new" schedule is, but if it's based on Weinke then you figure Manning might be ready by September.
    Theres not even a schedule! Nobody has said "Manning should be ready by X". Its essentially a matter of "lets keep our fingers crossed and hope something happens, but we don't know if it actually will happen".
    I am sick of this mess and I want to be a respectable team not a clown butt college

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    15,906 Fist Bumps in 5,391 Posts

I honestly don't know what to think anymore but I do know that Dolphins fans need to start accepting the fact that this team is going to bring in Peyton Manning. ALbert Breer reported during the combine that the team still likes Ryan Tannehill a lot and could draft him and groom him behind Manning.

That would be a homerun scenario for me. Let's get Manning in here for two years and get a quarterback in waiting on the roster at the same time. If Manning works out, we're Super Bowl contenders for the next few years and then hopefully we hand it off to a hot, young quarterback prospect. If his health fails him, give the ball to Matt Moore this year and turn it over to Tannehill in 2013 when Moore's contract is up.

I really don't see how any Dolphins fan could be against that scenario. It's literally covering every base at the most important position in all of sports and one that we have ignored for the past 12 years.
    In the scenario of signing Manning, it is the best scenario. However, I think it is unlikely because Peyton isn't going to want to come to a team that already has his replacement planned out. One of the reasons he is running from Indy is their intent to draft his replacement. Peyton is going to want the team to draft players that can help now, because even though he is in denial, he is a short term guy.

It's not the best case scenario that is out there. That would be signing Matt Flynn and using the draft to address the pass rush and pass protection. Matt Flynn isn't a short term gap stopper. He's a long term guy that is at the beginning of his peak years.

The reason Manning/Tannehill isn't the best case scenario overall is the fact that you are passing on people who are probably better prospects at their position than Tannehill is at his at this point simply because you are putting in your contingency plan due to Manning's age/injury. You are passing on a Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe, Luke Keuchly, or Quentin Coples to do this.
    “Going into my senior season, I thought it would be the last time I’d ever play football,” Birk said. “So I really rededicated myself that off-season, but the biggest key was that they hired Joe Philbin as the offensive line coach. I learned so much from him.”

6. This Member gave KB21 a FIST BUMP for this post:

Consume Me Asteroids Champion Valentine'em Champion Try To Escape Champion The Wizard's Boxes Champion Funny Sheep Champion Traffic City Champion ASCIIvader Champion Egg Drop Champion Asteroescape Champion car game, don't drink Champion The Platforms Game Champion Pair Mania - Japanese 3 Champion Pair Mania - Japanese 4 Champion Jorinapeka Champion Pair Mania - Japanese Champion FLIXED BALL Champion Jennifer Rose: Restaurant Love Champion Aqua4Ever04's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    14,046 Fist Bumps in 6,391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jw3102 View Post
    I am one Dolphin fan who is totally against this scenario. First of all I am not convinced that Manning will ever be able to play another NFL football game and signing him is a huge risk, as far as I am concerned. Unless of course he is willing to sign a contract based entirely on his ability to play next season.
    So Steven Ross loses a couple million dollars, what's it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by jw3102
    Next I am not a big fan of Tannehill. He wasn't really very good at the college level and while he was the starting QB of Texas A&M, the team was very mediocre. He did nothing as the teams starting QB to improve the play of those around him. Unlike Luck, RG3, Weeden, and even Kellen Moore, who were able to improve the play of those around them by their excellent play at the QB position. I don't see Tannehill ever being more than a backup caliber QB in the NFL and to me it would be a total waste of a pick if the Dolphins take him in the first or second round.
    Yeah because that was his fault. I've seen enough of him to know that there is a ton of upside there and great knowledge of how to maneuver in the pocket, reset his platform and deliver an accurate ball. And the draft niks on this board that have watched every snap of Tannehill's career would say similar things.

Quote Originally Posted by jw3102
    I am not real high on Weeden because of his age , or Kellen Moore because of his size and lack of arm strenght, but I still think they both will have better careers in the NFL than Tannehill. I would much rather see the Dolphins select Kellen Moore in the fourth or fifth round than waste a pick on Tannehill.
    If you think Tannehill is going to be a career backup and have more faith in Kellen Moore to do anything more than that, then I can't help you.
    Sig by GridIronKing34

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    156 Fist Bumps in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafael View Post
    The schedule keeps changing. He was supposed to play last season on the original schedule, but the nerve didn't regenerate. I believe he's now had a total of four surgeries, three to clear up what they believed to be causing the nerve damage and one to clear up bone spurs. After each of those three procedures he was supposed to be good in about a month, but in each case the nerve didn't regenerate. The last one was in September. Every successful case I've ever heard of had the patient back to work in about a month. When Montana had his procedure he was playing great on day 56. He actually could have played sooner but Young was playing great so Montana had lost the starting job. I don't know what the "new" schedule is, but if it's based on Weinke then you figure Manning might be ready by September.
    No offense but you should probably educate yourself on the situation. A few things:

1. Lets begin by saying Peyton had this injury 2 years ago and played an entire year with it and played at an elite level. He could have played last year with the injury but got medical advice to go in another direction to regenerate the nerve.

2.. The first procedure was not a typical procedure. It is an experimental procedure he went to Europe to see if it would work. Its a procedure not even performed in the US. The experimental procedure did not work, it happens. This procedure should have healed in 6-8 weeks and when it didn't after 16 they had to look in another direction. He would have had time but with the new CBA he couldnt get a new contract until later so he put off this surgery.

3. Lets fast forward, we all know about the fusion surgery. By the way this is a somewhat routine surgery nowadays. The odds of him re-injuring the neck is as good as his brother, meaning his neck is fine.

4. There is no schedule to return. That being said he was ready to come back at the end of the year. He was actually working with the team in practice to play in goaline situations. That means he was ready to play at the end of the year but the team wanted to protect the top pick so kept him out.

All reports say he is throwing and looking good. Colts just need to cut the guy and move on. Its best for everyone involved. If they cut Peyton you will begin to see video and reports of him throwing well. Until then he is playing his cards correctly and staying private.

Consume Me Asteroids Champion Valentine'em Champion Try To Escape Champion The Wizard's Boxes Champion Funny Sheep Champion Traffic City Champion ASCIIvader Champion Egg Drop Champion Asteroescape Champion car game, don't drink Champion The Platforms Game Champion Pair Mania - Japanese 3 Champion Pair Mania - Japanese 4 Champion Jorinapeka Champion Pair Mania - Japanese Champion FLIXED BALL Champion Jennifer Rose: Restaurant Love Champion Aqua4Ever04's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    In the scenario of signing Manning, it is the best scenario. However, I think it is unlikely because Peyton isn't going to want to come to a team that already has his replacement planned out. One of the reasons he is running from Indy is their intent to draft his replacement. Peyton is going to want the team to draft players that can help now, because even though he is in denial, he is a short term guy.

It's not the best case scenario that is out there. That would be signing Matt Flynn and using the draft to address the pass rush and pass protection. Matt Flynn isn't a short term gap stopper. He's a long term guy that is at the beginning of his peak years.

The reason Manning/Tannehill isn't the best case scenario overall is the fact that you are passing on people who are probably better prospects at their position than Tannehill is at his at this point simply because you are putting in your contingency plan due to Manning's age/injury. You are passing on a Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe, Luke Keuchly, or Quentin Coples to do this.
    I don't think it's comparable. On one hand, you have the greatest quarterback prospect since John Elway that everyone has been completely gaga over for the past year plus. Then you have Tannehill who is a raw talent that will need time to study and grow as a quarterback. Peyton knows this, the coaches can explain this to Peyton by simply saying, "Look, here's a three year contract for you. Ryan Tannehill is a guy we like a lot, but he's not going to be ready for three years and we'd love to have him back you up for tha ttime. We envision a Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers type of situation to play out where we get to some Super Bowls with you here and then try to have a seamless transition when your contract expires."

I really don't see how Peyton could be pissy about that.

As for those players, yeah, it would suck missing out on a standout defensive line prospect. But it would suck more to miss out on a stand out quarterback prospect and that's what Ryan Tannehill is in my mind. So he might be a few spots lower than Poe or Cox on the big board - but I'm okay with reaching a couple of spots to get a quarterback.
    Sig by GridIronKing34

10. This Member gave Aqua4Ever04 a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,454 Fist Bumps in 1,607 Posts

I think a lot of people look at the Manning signing as a prelude to the draft in that we cannot select a quarterback high if we acquire Manning. Peyton has to know that he's a gamble and that the team that decides to take that gamble has every right to leave no stone unturned.

Another thing to think about, it sounds like Manning is seeking out the Dolphins in particular. I think it says a lot about our team that he's choosing us over New York, Arizona, Seattle, WAshington or whoever. He obviously sees the Dolphins being a team that is just a few pieces away. Maybe he and Reggie Wayne are those pieces.
    Asset management , if and it is IF Miami views Tannehill as an elite talent at QB there should be no hesitancy imo to draft him at 8 as well as sign Peyton if they feel he is healthy .

Tannehill by all accounts is not ready to plug and play but could have a long and very succesful career . As I have mentioned before Miami may feel this is thier best opportunity to secure this quality of a QB , picking at number 8. Don't be short sighted , there are other ways to add pieces besides pick 8 to address need areas.

Say Miami has no strong conviction on any available QB at 8 , then by no means should they reach , but putting Tannehill in the bank so to speak , to use when you need him down the road is just astute management. Make the best use of your assets .

I mentioned in another thread that the team would need to want Peyton and Peyton want the team , and imo Miami and Manning is the strongest pairing as I see it. Peyton will be wiiling to structure a friendly deal , not for "no" money of course but he won't hold a team hostage to extract a ransom . Having a first round QB in the wings that needs time isn't like having Luck , where tension could develop , media and fan pressure and criticism would be an instant away at every occurence.

If Miami grades Tannehill high enough , using pick 8 on him while also signing Manning because they view him as a true opportunity to win a Super Bowl is hard to be against , at least for me.

12. These 3 users offered FIST BUMPS to dolfan22 for a solid post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Quote Originally Posted by Sceeto View Post
    ..and Weinke went on and lead a team to a Superbowl victory. ...oh wait.
    ... and Weinke was a previous Super Bowl winning QB , multiple league MVP and first ballot HOF'er. .... oh wait .

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    156 Fist Bumps in 98 Posts

If Miami got Manning you do not draft Tannehill. Draft a guy in the 3rd-4th to back up Peyton and develop. I actually think Moore could be this guy and you could use that mid round another player.

- Sign Peyton
    - sign Garcon
    - use 1st round pick to get BPA not QB. This is probably a pass protector or pass rusher. But build around Peyton, not plan for his demise in 4 years.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    945 Fist Bumps in 601 Posts

How many years does Manning have left in the tank realistically? 2-3 years?

Perfect scenario to bring in a guy the FO is high on to get ready. I'd take Wilson despite his height if I were in charge. Forget Tannehill, he has much more upside as a WR than a QB in the league IMO. Bring on the hate for this take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

KB , Tannehill doesn't equate to Luck though , in many ways . Very , very different scenario with Luck and Peyton , or Tannehill and Peyton.

17. This Member gave dolfan22 a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Snowman View Post
    4. There is no schedule to return. That being said he was ready to come back at the end of the year. He was actually working with the team in practice to play in goaline situations. That means he was ready to play at the end of the year but the team wanted to protect the top pick so kept him out.

All reports say he is throwing and looking good. Colts just need to cut the guy and move on. Its best for everyone involved. If they cut Peyton you will begin to see video and reports of him throwing well. Until then he is playing his cards correctly and staying private.
    He was never ready to come back. He's not even ready now. He has no nerve in his arm.

19. This Member gave Stringer Bell a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Quote Originally Posted by Laces Out View Post

Perfect scenario to bring in a guy the FO is high on to get ready. I'd take Wilson despite his height if I were in charge. Forget Tannehill, he has much more upside as a WR than a QB in the league IMO. Bring on the hate for this take

Of course this is all predicated on Manning being helathy and recovering , but say he does , there is no reason to think he can't play more than 2 years. He could easily play another 4 years if he wants barring any unrelated injury.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    4,189 Fist Bumps in 2,240 Posts

No offense but you should probably educate yourself on the situation. A few things:

1. Lets begin by saying Peyton had this injury 2 years ago and played an entire year with it and played at an elite level. He could have played last year with the injury but got medical advice to go in another direction to regenerate the nerve.

2.. The first procedure was not a typical procedure. It is an experimental procedure he went to Europe to see if it would work. Its a procedure not even performed in the US. The experimental procedure did not work, it happens. This procedure should have healed in 6-8 weeks and when it didn't after 16 they had to look in another direction. He would have had time but with the new CBA he couldnt get a new contract until later so he put off this surgery.

3. Lets fast forward, we all know about the fusion surgery. By the way this is a somewhat routine surgery nowadays. The odds of him re-injuring the neck is as good as his brother, meaning his neck is fine.

Sure he is throwing, has been since December but doesn't have NFL arm velocity.
    They are two different things you know.
    Also just because he was cleared by doctors for his neck doesn't mean he was ready to play because he wasn't.
    Once again two different things.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Quote Originally Posted by Laces Out View Post

At this point, he has 0 years left in the tank until his nerve regenerates. Once that happens you can re-evaluate his health.

23. This Member gave Stringer Bell a FIST BUMP for this post:

Rockin' The Bottom End Tin Indian's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    863 Fist Bumps in 484 Posts

I cannot say how much I agree with this post. It is exactly what I am thinking. Manning is not ready at this point and may not ever be again. Flynn fits in nearly every way. We need to use our draft picks on positions we need help with.
    Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

If Miami got Manning you do not draft Tannehill. Draft a guy in the 3rd-4th to back up Peyton and develop. I actually think Moore could be this guy and you could use that mid round another player.

- Sign Peyton
    - sign Garcon
    - use 1st round pick to get BPA not QB. This is probably a pass protector or pass rusher. But build around Peyton, not plan for his demise in 4 years.
    Not taking Tannehill at 8 just because he is a QB would be a mistake if you grade him as the best player available and view the selection as the best long term decision. That is what this franchise used to do , that should stop imo.

Asset management , Miami may never get an opportunity to select a QB in the draft they rate as highly as Tannehill
    again , or for less than huge ransom , you have take that into account and make the best long term decision for the franchise.

26. This Member gave dolfan22 a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
    He was never ready to come back. He's not even ready now. He has no nerve in his arm.
    Where are you getting this from? I heard that back in December but the only things I've heard in late February were that he was improving and looking much better.
    Sig by GridIronKing34

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Where are you getting this from. I heard that back in December, the only things I've heard in late February were that he was improving and looking much better.
    Last we heard about his nerve was that it has not regenerated. I believe that was during the week pre-Super Bowl. I would assume that once the nerve has regenerated the news will be made widely available. But saying he looks better and is improving doesn't entail the nerve regenerating.