1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The trade up rumor thread...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Feb 26, 2012.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Guess I'll start it off..

''Citing league sources, Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com reports "at least" three teams, including the Redskins, Dolphins, and Seahawks, are "strongly considering" a blockbuster trade with the Rams to draft Robert Griffin III at No. 2 overall.
    Team sources also tell Freeman that the Browns have interest in trading up, "though not as much as the other teams." While the Dolphins are interested "despite their Matt Flynn infatuation," the Redskins "remain the front-runners." Team officials label the Seahawks the "sleeper team" hindered by the prohibitive cost of trading up from twelfth to second. The three teams reportedly view RGIII as a "close facsimile" to Andrew Luck in terms of NFL potential..

Well, I know were all kinda debating back and forth on whether he's worth it or not, but, if were gonna do it,{and its not Luck} then Id like to do it for him..I'am willing as a fan, to take the risk on a guy with such physical, intellectual, and supremely confident potential..

I figured these rumors will start pouring in on us moving up so might as well start a thread..

p.s..''Twelfth''....Funny word..

ToddsPhins likes this.
  2. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I don't care how they do it just get a freaking franchise qb.

3. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    what he said.

4. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Miami always seems to play it safe and rarely takes risks. Since Marino retired we have brought in at least 16 different QB's to start for us and none of them have really been that good. I would say Fiedler, Matt Moore and Chad Henne have all been decent but none of them great. I think if we are going to win we need a franchise QB. I would like to see us roll the dice and trade up to get RG3. I think it would probably cost us out first four draft picks this year, but I would do it. We could address our other needs through free agency. P. Manning may never be what he was, and Flynn may not be that great or end up signing elsewhere.

5. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i dont know if we ever have moved up this high in the 1st round ever, i would sell the farm for Luck, but not for RGIII, thats why i hope we stay put

SCall13, PSG, Ohio Fanatic and 2 others like this.
  6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    well, I agree that I too would sell the farm on Luck, but what makes me interested here in this theory is that we might not have to sell the farm to get this kind of prospect because of the mere fact that the ultimate prospect is in front of him.

7. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah, I would definitely be happy with a move up to take Griffin, even though it's a big risk. I think we need to just make a move already to get our guy if they believe he can be the answer. He seems like he would fit a WCO with his quick throws and mobility. Forget Manning I don't want a 2-3 year stop gap, plus I'd rather bring up our own star than bring in someone from another team and Bring some excitement to this team.

cdz12250 likes this.
  8. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I would imagine the price for moving up from 8 beats whatever the Redskins are offering from 6.

If we start the discussion by dusting off the draft value chart, we have to 1,200 pts to pay for. I would imagine bidding starts at a third this year and a first next year. Cleveland is in the best spot to overpay, they can dangle the 22 overall pick as well.

9. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Trade first this year first second next year and Y.bell. Get rg3 and never look back

10. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Incidentally, trading up to 1st overall would minimally involve the entire 2012 draft and the 2013 first rounder.

As for trading Yeremiah Bell to St. Louis, I'm not sure he makes sense for them.

11. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    you're looking at this year's 1st, 2nd and 4th plus next years 1st and 2nd to move up... not worth it for RGIII.

PSG likes this.
  12. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    john clayton on espn radio this afternoon said it was going to be the equivelent of 3 first rounders to land RG III i really dont know if hes worth it.

13. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah I mean I would like rg3 but 3 1st rounders is a little steep, I'd rather take my odds with a later round option.

14. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    First time poster. Been checking this site for Dolphins news for a couple of months now, but never felt like posting something.
    My take though, give them 3 first rounders for RG3. It really only counts as 2, since they will give you a first rounder back, and you are potentially set for the next decade.
    Sweeten the deal with a player, and/or a late rounder from this year. Don't trade a 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

15. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    [video=youtube;jIy8RhLIrqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIy8RhLIrqc[/video]

I don't buy it. Most likely, it will be a 1st this year, 1st next year, 2nd this year, 4th this year or 1st this year, 1st next year, 2nd this year, 3rd next year.

16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

So many folks were all in for trading 3 1sts for the pick to draft Luck. So, I guess it all depends on if one believes RG3 is an equal prospect.
    One problem is if we are set that we want to trade up for RG3, then we will pass on signing Flynn. If Cleveland or Washington signed him, then that takes them out of the running to trade up. If we really want RG3, the best thing for us would be to hope Cleveland signs Flynn, since no way we can match them in a trade up offer. If we pass on signing Flynn and Manning, and we are also not able to trade up for RG3, say we are outbid, then what? Take Tannehill at 8? Hope Weeden is on the board at 42? I'd be fine with taking Weeden if we are sure he is going to be there, but IMO it's somewhat of a gamble he lasts that long.

Aquafin, PhinPhanatic and djphinfan like this.
  17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm more interested in joining the sexy Arab girls. :shifty:

18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    We have a pretty strong team as it is with a lot of guys still developing, so I'd trade the farm for Griffin..... although I'd try to keep this year's 2nd to get him an extra weapon/blocker who may fall. The kid from Gtech (Stephen Hill) would be an ideal complement to Griffin IMO.

19. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Bull pucky ....... first of all just what are Washington and Miami WILLING to give up to move that high, of course the Rams will want the whole pie, doesn't mean they'll get it!

jsizzle and gunn34 like this.
  20. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Personally, I like RG3 and Tannehill. However, trading up for RG3 might be too high, so I would rather Miami trade up for Tannehill who I view as a better prospect.

21. MrClean

HUH??? What you talking about Willis??

ToddsPhins likes this.
  22. MrClean

Hypothetically, if Cleveland or Washington trades up for RG3, and the other one signed Flynn, we should have Tannehill on the board at 8th overall if we want him. If I was sure Weeden would be on the board at pick 42, I'd wait and take him.

gunn34 likes this.
  23. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Truth is, with a front office and coaching staff that know what they're doing and a serviceable QB, it may be a while before we occupy the no. 8 draft position again. That alone makes it worth the gamble now if we can sell a good chunk of the future to get a franchise QB, because the more games we win, the more expensive it's going to get to trade up in the future.

24. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Your joking right?Y.bell?

25. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Why did we have to start a freaking winning streak after going 0-7.I would gladly have gone 1-15 and not had to give up our entire draft for a qb now.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  26. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have been saying all along that I feel RG3 will be a huge success in the NFL. I think he will be every bit as effective as Luck at the next level. I have no problem at all with the Dolphins making a blockbuster trade with the Rams to secure the rights to pick second overall in this years draft. If this means the Dolphins have to give up their first round picks for the next three years, plus their second round pick this year, so be it.
    I feel RG3 will do far more for the franchise than all these first round draft picks, and this years second round pick combined.

27. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Would you rather have Mike Pouncey, Daniel Thomas, Clyde Gates and Jared Odrick or RGIII ? I'll take RGIII every day all day.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Sign Matt Flynn and build a more complete team through the draft.

And the Rams have a much better S in Quinton Mikell so why trade for Bell?

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  29. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Absolutely, I would trade everyone of those players for RG3 and not even think twice about it.

30. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Honestly, all of this is moot until FA is mostly over. Too much speculation on FA alone to delve into the draft possibilities at this point.

31. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    That's why this time of the year SUCKS!

32. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The thing is this....no one knows if your crystal ball is accurate. There were a ton of Raiders fans who said this about Russell years ago and he didn't pan out. I'm not saying I think RGIII will be a bust, but you don't want to sell the entire team for a maybe.

33. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If the Browns want him, I don't see how any other team competes considering they have 2 first round picks this year at their disposal.

gunn34 likes this.
  34. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    ... which is why the initial report suggesting the Browns aren't as interested as previously thought is particularly interesting.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yup, your really giving up two first round picks, not even because your switching firsts this year and moving up doing so..

I'll say this, if we don't want to give it up, then Tannehill is a target at 8...Lets not lose sight of that dude and the connection..his skillset is that good.

finfan likes this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah I know, thats why I labeled it the trade up rumor thread..

37. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    if our front office thinks it's worth it to give up all that to get to #2, why not give up all that and just a little more to get Luck? It just doesn't seem worth it for RG3. I'm content staying put.

gunn34 and rafael like this.
  38. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Yes, I would rather have those four over RG3. I'm not buying the RGIII hype. I think he'll be a good QB, better than M Moore, but I'm not jumping on the "elite franchise" label for RG3's potential. I see one franchise QB in Luck that is worth selling the farm for, and 3 good QB prospects in RG3, Tannehill and Weeden that are worth selecting if they fall to you.

If Philbin like Flynn, installs the same system, use our picks to improve our team, the chances of long-term success are better IMO than gambling that RG3 is the next franchise QB.

39. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Here's the thing tho, it's going to be very, very rare that a worthwhile QB is available in trade, except at draft time. RG3 seems to be everything that you'd want in a franchise guy, despite his dubious college offense (at least as it relates to the NFL) however, there is always going to be some risk as to how his (or any college QBs) game relates to the NFL. From all that is being said, if they do trade up to get him, I'd be fine with it. This is NOT my preferred way of doing things though.

Here's why: For argument's sake lets say it costs our #8, our #40 and 1st rounders the next two years...I would assume that's the going rate for moving up... That's a deficit of 3 players that could have an impact on the remainder of the team. That means that we've strapped Philbin, a first time HC, for 3 seasons. Sure, we may have the QB spot figured out (although it's possible even that doesn't work out), but what about the rest of the holes this team has...2 OL spots, 2 S spots, an OLB/DE for starters that we must fill, plus a complementary TE to Fasano (or an upgrade over all), a 'take the top off' speedy WR to complement the stable of guys we have there and a #3 CB... Now, there are a few guys that may or may not answer some of those spots...maybe Jerry/Murtha/Garner fill one or both of the OL spots...maybe Clay/Messam are the answer at FB/H-back/complementary TE. Maybe Gates is the 'take the top off' WR. Maybe Jones is Bell's replacement...but those are maybe's at best...

This team has struggled with trades for 10 yrs or so. How many 2nd round picks did we give up for QBs that didn't pan out. How many other trades have we done that cost high round pick (RW, Marshall) that aided in getting this team into the fix that it was when the Trifecta took over...

I just don't think it's fair to Philbin to trade away his future...however, I can't say I wouldn't be excited if they made the move...

Agua likes this.
  40. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    It's actually very simple really. Bottom line, Elite QB with a mediocre team = playoff contending team every year. However, Elite team with mediocre QB = maybe playoff, but not every year, and much more harder to maintain.

Offer the entire 2012 draft and 2013 1st round pick to the Colts for Luck.
    Offer 3 first rounders and a player or some late picks for RG3.
    Offer 2012 and 2013 first rounders, as well as Brandon Marshal and maybe a 4th for RG3.

Explore options. Do your work front office. GET A FRANCHISE QB.