1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphns to upgrade to more athletic offensive linemen

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Feb 23, 2012.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...hing-for-more-athletic-offensive-linemen.html

Gosh, how about that, 4 yrs into his time as GM and gee, we need more athletic offensive linemen.

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Hmmm, not only our GM. But why didn't our previous head coach who was former OL guru realize this was a problem?? Oh, because he and Ireland are idiots. :up:

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Get rid of Vernon Carey and Marc Colombo and you've essentially already accomplished your task.

All the more evidence that Lydon Murtha is the "hidden talent" on the offensive line.

I wonder if they cut Richie Incognito and go for Scott Wells or Mike Brisiel.

Ohio Fanatic and Disnardo like this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Kill me now. How long before our offense features 11 offensive linemen running fumblerooskies for 3 and 4 yard gains?

5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I mean its not like they drafted an athletic OL in the first round last year or anything...

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wells would make a lot of sense for us, kick Pouncey to LG, and we are much closer to having the OL ironed out, esp/w Murtha and Jerry at RG/RT, though Richie I COULD be a better RG than LG for us.

7. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    I don't know if it an upgrade by design...

If you wanted to pass in this league, you would always need lighter more athletic linemen...

Our past regime (including) our GM brought in guys that fit the Parcells mold for OL, that being big lumbering guys to block for the run...

Our new coaching regime want to pass more, so guess what??? Out with the old...

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007

I'm not sure what the problem is. Sparano liked bigger offensive linemen, the front office gave them to him. Philbin wants more athletic players, they'll give them to him.

There was nothing inherently wrong with Sparano's preference for bigger offensive linemen. It's not as if they asked ridiculous things of them, or didn't design the offense around it.

gunn34, FinNasty, PhinGeneral and 2 others like this.
  9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I've said it before but I don't think the Dolphins would sign Wells as a Center. I think Jeff Ireland would get in the way of that. They might try and convince Wells to come in as a Guard though. When Mike Sherman was Head Coach and General Manager of the Packers, he selected Scott Wells as a Guard and that's where he played him. He since went to Center and as an OL Coach I'm sure Philbin likes him there...but that Guard versatility plus Ireland's desire to make the Pouncey pick worth it...I think they'd try and convince Scott to play some Guard again. Just my opinion.

On the other hand, IF they can convince Jeff Ireland to sign a guy that would see Mike Pouncey moved over...which is the big IF...then I can certainly think of worse things than importing the Center-Quarterback duo from the Packers here in Miami, to help implement the scheme. Wells would give the Offensive Line a leg up in how Philbin wants things done. Flynn would give the receivers a leg up in how everyone needs it done, too.

10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    "Dolphins to upgrade to more people not named Marc Colombo offensive line".

11. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Long, Pouncey, Incognito, Wells, Murtha. More then a decent offensive line if Murtha can stay healthy which has been his problem including his college career.

12. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Too many fat white guys.

13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Wow, four years and tens of millions of dollars wasted on offensive linemen that were failures and then Ireland finally got one right in last years draft. All I can say is ,it's about time.

14. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    There is obviously a God. Thank you, Lord.

15. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    They didn't exactly have The Hogs in Green Bay either.

16. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Long was great in his first few years but with all his injuries in the last two seasons, his play slipped considerably last season. Hopefully he can regain his health and be the dominant LT he was early in his career, but there is no way of being assured of that at this time.

Pouncey was effective as a rookie center last season and he certainly seems to be someone the coaches can build an offense line around.

Incognito is an average offense lineman, as far as I am concerned. His run blocking appears to be much better than his pass blocking.

Murtha, as you stated has had problems staying on the field because of injuries. To assume he is the answer to improvement on the offensive line is quite a leap, especially when he has yet to show that he should even be a starter in the NFL.

Wells is someone I have never heard of. So I have no idea if he is even on the team, much less an upgrade for the offensive line. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to who he is and why you think he will improve the play of the offensive line.

17. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
  18. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Ah, thats where common sense ran off to..........

FinNasty and Stringer Bell like this.
  19. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

There is no reason to move Pouncey to LG

cdz12250 and rafael like this.
  20. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Are you calling Long a failure?

21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    this is not a need. I think we have the talent & athleticism already on the roster. what we need is effective coaching & consistency.

22. smahtaz

What is it about moving Pouncey to G? A pulling C has less distance to travel while typical leaving a less athletic guy to trail the play. He had the reads down by the time Henne went down and made most of the calls down the stretch. How did he fair on PFF?

23. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    2009 COMBINE

#1...40 yard dash of all offensive tackle
    #1...3 cone drill of all offensive tackles
    #1...20 yard shuttle of all tackles
    #1...vertical jump of all tackles
    #2...1 inch off the lead for broad jump of all tackles

very athletic ...lets give him a chance

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    There are issues with pulling a Center, and a lot of coaches don't do it. There's a much bigger risk of screwing up the snap or tripping up the quarterback, and being closer isn't always an advantage.

25. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Athletic doesn't fix being injury prone. He was slated to start his freshman year but had to RS due to injury. And his Jr and Sr years were ended by injury as well. And that trend seems to be following him into the pros, 4 starts and 9 total appearances over 2 seasons.

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It allows the offense to do more things as then your center is not tasked with doing things they typically do not do.

Centers are also relatively easier to find then skilled LG's.

27. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Lombardi & the Pack lionized the pulling guard, raising it to the near status of a singular offensive line position
    having said that
    essentially, what you're dealing with is a skill set that can be learned. if you think we need a pulling guard & center on the same offensive line, the answer lies in finding the player with the best & quickest feet that has a pension for a lead block... coach him up & play him as a pulling guard when appropriate
    we have no need for a pulling guard, although we may need to coach a guard how to pull
    the offensive line talent is there... what was missing was coaching & preparation. the grass is not necessarily greener ...

28. smahtaz

Tripping the QB is you're argument? How many times did that happen? Less distance is always an advantage.

You reference PFF all the time. How did he do?

29. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Jerry's not that athletic. Trade block?

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think he will be fine, he was a decent athlete coming out, and RG or RT are not THAT athletically challenging.

As for PFF, could not say Smahatz, it is a for pay site now.

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I see C as a more valuable position and a more difficult position to fill. With a great one like Pouncey can be you can do everything you could with him at G.

Ozzy, smahtaz and Stringer Bell like this.
  32. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not an argument, it's the reality of why you don't see it frequently. There's also an issue with a Center botching the snap because he's rushing to make a block and can't follow through properly. I can show you any number of coaching websites which mentions this stuff. Overwhelmingly when you're seeing a Center pull in the NFL, it isn't even designed for the Center to be pulling, it's a pin and pull play where a Center is pulling because of the application of a covered/uncovered rule. I've read some coaches if they do it won't call it in the huddle, but will call it as a line adjustment to a formation because it's problematic in some circumstances where a guard pull isn't.

Less distance isn't an advantage because you're creating a hole where there's penetration. If your puller is too close to the play it's more likely that gap results in an unblocked player that can make a play on the ball-carrier.

padre31 and smahtaz like this.
  33. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Jerry is a pretty good athlete for his size, I doubt he gets dumped.

34. smahtaz

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

The reason we don't see it is because very few atheletes have Mike Pouncey's skill set.

35. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Moving Pouncey would be real bad idea. Well said.

36. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Matt McCants and Kyle Nunn could be plugged in at RT for us. For the inside I'd love for Ireland to give Senio Kelemete a shot.

Nah man we need some quality starters at RG and RT and Depth.

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Here we agree, JJ imo, showed a lot at LT, so RT should not be an issue imo.

LG though, we have no answers.

What is intriguing to me is Carl Nicks was a tackle in college iirc, and Murtha is every bit of the athlete that Nicks is, so I would not mind giving him a shot at LG

38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

How was Ireland able to recognize a good athletic lineman with Philbin or Sherman not yet here to guide him? ;)

39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Wells is a much better shotgun snapper than Pouncey is at this point. Above anything else, I'd want my center to deliver clean accurate consistent shotgun snaps. That turned out to be Pouncey's biggest weakness. To not play Wells there, if we signed him, just to make the use of the 15th overall pick seem more justified, wouldn't be Ireland's decision anyway.
    If it were, it would amount to cutting off his nose to spite his face, to insist Pouncey remain at C.

Jagfish likes this.
  40. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Injured every season he was at Nebraska and since he has been in the NFL. Murtha has never made it a full season in college or the pros. In 2011 he did not even make it to the season.