1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You will never win until you get a No.1 QB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TheRoarrr, Feb 23, 2012.

1. TheRoarrr

TheRoarrr New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Yes, this is coming from a Lions fan we took 50 years to find our replacement to Bobby Lane. Don't bother with Tannehill, Foles or Cousins. You don't need QB that turns out like Flacco, Sanchez or Gabbert. Maybe take K.Moore or Wilson with a late round pick just as a steady back up to M.Moore who can sit. Draft every posistion that needs filling on your team this year that isn't QB. Then next year break the Bank for Barkley, you have no hope of doing it for Luck but Barkley won't be worth as much. We went from the losers of the NFL to the playoffs with a QB that threw for 5000 yards & 41 TD's. Flynn isn't worth investing anything in he's started to games and in the game against us I can tell you we had a torn up secondary with injuries. Manning is an option if your lucky enough to pick him but hes the only FA option IMO.

DRAFT: Matt Barkley, trade the bank for the number 1 pick in 2013.

You already have a pretty good team with a lot of pieces in place but you gotta get your guy.

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    while everyone seems convinced that Luck is that franchise QB, I'm not convinced that Barkley is significantly better than Tannehill.
    Besides, if we do beef up the rest of the team in the draft and FA and go with Moore, we're likely a 9+ win team next season - making it even harder to trade up to get someone like a Barkley in top 3 pick. "Planning" your 2012 draft strategy around hoping to trade up to get someone in 2013 is incredibly silly..

MrClean likes this.
  3. TheRoarrr

TheRoarrr New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Barkley is far superior to tannehill as a prospect, Barkley actually had a better year than Luck this year. But the point is you want your guy you got to trade up. It won't happen this year with Luck given his status. But it can next year, someones going have to have a pretty damn good season to take Barkleys place next year. But whoever your number 1 QB you got to get him. Dolphins are one of the most solid teams that don't have a legit QB.

MAFishFan and Fin-Omenal like this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks but this team and it's fans have had enough of "wait till next year" to address the QB situation.

gunn34 likes this.
  5. TheRoarrr

TheRoarrr New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Your not going to be waiting... Your going get Peyton Manning. I bet the house he is the starting QB in Miami this season. But the solution above is what must be done for the long term future of this franchise.

Well last year would of being the same if you'd made a grab at QB do you really want Gabbert or Ponder on your team. Gabbert looked awful and I saw Ponder first hand throw 3 picks against us a pick 6 and a fumble in the endzone for a TD.

6. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Is he? I'm not sold that Barkley is that much better than Tannehill.

You seem to be forgetting that Barkley isn't even the best QB in the 2013 Draft. And why would Miami wait for a QB when said QB could get injured?

ToddsPhins and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  7. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Meh, you're losing credibility. I don't see Manning as our QB. It's either Flynn or Moore + Tannehill

Tin Indian likes this.
  8. TheRoarrr

TheRoarrr New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Yeah, he is a lot better than Tannehill. Barkley: 39 TD 7 INTS COMP 69.1 Tannehill: 29 TD 15 INT COMP 61.6%... I could add records USC 10-2 TA&M 7-6 but winning games is both sides of the ball.

And um he's not who's better Jones, Wilson...? I'm not a USC fan either, in fact I'm a Notre Dame fan lol. But Barkley played a lot better than both of them last year. Landry would of probably came out this year if his stock hadn't dropped so much. Barkley would of came out this year but he's going back to have a run at the BCS NC that team is pretty loaded even with losing some key players like Kahil and to be the No.1 pick in the 2013 draft.

9. TheRoarrr

TheRoarrr New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    See it how you want, maybe you just don't like an outsiders perspective looking in on your team. I dunno... Honestly though: Flynn or Moore + Tannehill = Mediocrity. I like to see the fins do well they're the team in the AFC I like to see do well.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You being an outsider or not has zero impact on how we regard your opinion. I'm not professing that either Flynn or Moore + Tannehill are the future of this franchise. I'm just stating that they will probably be our choices for QB this season since Luck is out of range and Manning is a waste.

I also don't believe in comparing QB's TD/INTs as an isolated stat. Like you mentioned, USC is loaded and that's why Barkley is staying. Having a loaded team puts the QB in a much better position to make plays. Look at Mark Sanchez at USC: 34 TDs, 10 INTs, 66% comp, pretty close to Barkley's numbers. While I believe that Barkley is better than Sanchez, I think he's still a little over-hyped.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    And what makes you qualified to rule these QB's out? I've heard this way too often. They told me Brees was too small, Rodger's was a system QB, Newton couldn't run an NFL offense and Tom Brady lacked the physical tools to be an NFL QB. Kind of tired of fan boy opinions.

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Maybe...but the Ravens won the SB with Dilfer...NOT even close to a franchise guy. The 72 Fins won with a caretaker at QB, in fact with our backup guy for most of the year. The Bucs won with Brad Johnson at QB... Guys have gotten their teams to the SB that were mediocre at best...guys like Woodley, Doug Williams, Billy Kilmer, Craig Morton, Vince Ferregamo, Jim Plunkett, Tony Eason, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, Neil O'Donnell, Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme, Rex Grossman and Matt Hasselback....All guys that got their teams to the dance...It's the team around the guy as much as the guy himself...we had one of the best QBs of all times, and could only get him to the dance once and he carried this team for 17 yrs...

Even if you say in the recent history it takes a franchise guy, it's not a right statement... You think Brady is at the SB without BB and the team around him ?? I don't....

Now, I'm not saying that having a franchise guy will hurt your chances, but you need a solid team around that guy as well...

13. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The way I look at it: in today's NFL, the franchise QB gets you to the playoffs, the good team around the QB gets you to the big dance

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    It's not about the numbers. If it were, then Timmy Chang would be in the Hall of Fame and Case Keenum would be negotiating with Indianapolis for the #1 overall contract. You have to study a lot more than just the numbers.

Look at the supporting casts; I don't see a top 5 LT on A+M's line or two of the best receivers in the nation or a great defense. LOT more than just numbers.

As for next year - Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech. And there's a LOT more behind Landry Jones's decision to stay.

Dude, the Draft is what I do. Have you sat and watched every single throw that Tannehill made at TAMU? Because I have. To refer to him as "mediocre" just ruins any credibility you might bring to an argument.

ToddsPhins and MrClean like this.
  15. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

"Dude, the Draft is what I do. "

Do what you do do well boy
    Do what you do do we-ell
    Give your love and all of your heart
    And do what you do do well ............ !:up:

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    If we draft another lineman I might just go into a coma.

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Call the doctors then.

18. TheRoarrr

TheRoarrr New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Well Good Luck next year, it does take more than a franchise QB to win a SB... But as the above guy said it rapidly increases your chances. If you have season after season of playoff appearances at least your in the running to make it, Thats all you can ask. Look at the NYG this year 9-7 won the Super Bowl.

I hope you guys do you get your QB soon, cause you have a team that should be challenging for the division with the Patriots if you do.

As for that Case Keenum comparision... The difference is he wasn't in the PAC or Big 12 so you don't even need to compare him. In my opinion those are both legit conferences. I will give you the Big 12 schedule is a bit tougher than the PAC.

19. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Dont believe those were fanboy opinions, those were NFL Draft guys saying those things.

Brees:
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/drew_brees.html

Rodgers:
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/aaron_rodgers.html

Newton:
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/29/cam-newton-scouting-report

20. TheRoarrr

TheRoarrr New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Sorry, If I've stepped my bounds. No disrespect I'm not trying come in here and be a Bears fan.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Agree Roar as far as Barkley being a better prospect that Tannehill. If you ask me and I watch my share of cfb that Barkley is a better prospect than RG3.

22. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    I get to watch a lot of PAC-12 football out here and I am completely sold on Barkley. He can read a defense, throws a good ball, and runs a pro style offense. But, to be fair he does have exceptional talent at all positions around him. Where as luck had less to work with, but they were pretty comparable this year.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  23. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    The SEC's the best conference in the nation. Don't see Jordan Jefferson or Stephen Garcia as the #1 pick either. And Puh-leese. The pass happy PAC-12?????

24. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    You haven't overstepped anything dude. Good to have you here.

25. TheRoarrr

TheRoarrr New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Well some agree with Barkley being the guy some don't just how it goes :). Well find out very soon what's going to happen with the Dolphins QB position anyway if not in FA then it probably means they'll take someone in the draft. Maybe even both...

26. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah, there is a difference between debate and duchebagery.

27. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Barkley is so far superior to Tannehill, it isn't even close. Tannehill will never be anymore than a mediocre starter in the NFL who will eventually end up as a backup. I don't think he has the skills of Chad Henne and Henne certainly has been no better than a mediocre starter throughout his career. I think Barkley is right up there with Luck and RG3 and if the Dolphins don't make the moves necessary to bring in a franchise QB this season, they need to trade whatever is necessary to move up and take Barkley next year.

Unlike you, I don't see the Dolphins being any better then 6-10 or possibly 7-9 next season, if they don't resolve their QB issues this off season. Assuming they don't, the Dolphins should have a draft pick in the first ten picks next year and they should be able to make the trade up to select Barkley. After finishing below 500 again next season, I have to hope that Ross will finally see that Ireland is the real problem with this team and he will finally be willing to bring in a GM who actually knows what he is doing. I expect this new GM to finally do what is necessary to bring a quality QB to the Dolphins, even if he has to give up a truck load of draft picks to move up to select Barkley.

28. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

I've seen it all now.

MrClean and ToddsPhins like this.
  29. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks but do you think Matt Stafford is the ANSWER in Detroit? I do agree that it is hard to win a SB without a great franchise QB, but finding one is another thing.

30. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Blinded by the light ...

31. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Stafford is definitely a guy you could feel good going forward with - he really should only keep improving. That Stafford/Johnson combo can be brutal for quite a few years. Only thing to worry about with him is health.

32. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    They're not garbage. They're not top to bottom solid teams but the top end of the conference is elite. USC is loaded and bowl eligible this year, Stanford just pulled in a very strong recruiting class and have a very capable backup in Nottingham, and Oregon will be Oregon.

MrClean likes this.
  33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't know about you but I can't wait for the 2012 season to get over with. :shifty:

34. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

How often do teams trade away the #1 overall pick when a top potential franchise QB is available? Barring injury, Barkley is the odds on favorite to be #1 overall in 2013 and trading for that pick will be like trading for the #1 overall pick this season. You really think the Colts are trading away the chance to draft Luck?
    You make it sound so easy. Like all we gotta do is want to trade up and take Barkley and the team at #1 is just simply going to agree.
    When has Ireland had the chance to trade up for the chance to draft a franchise QB, and not taken it?

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  35. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that was way too logical Mr C. you're gonna blow his mind

36. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not sure what your comment means, but I predicted before last season that the Dolphins would win five or six games at the most. Many on here at the time also told me that I was wrong and that the Dolphins would win nine or ten games.

My view of Tannehill has been consistent all along. I just don't view him as a long term starter in the NFL and I certainly don't see him as an upgrade to Matt Moore, who I think is nothing but a quality backup in the NFL. I see the QB position as the top need for the Dolphins and until they upgrade this position, I see them remaining a mediocre team in the NFL.

I see only two QB's in the upcoming draft who appear capable of being quality starters in the NFL, Luck and RG3. The rest of the the QB's in the draft are all mediocre at best, IMO. I have serious concerns about the Dolphins signing Manning because of his severe neck injury and his advanced age. Flynn may be the answer, but his body of work is so limited in the NFL that it is difficult to determine if he is the real thing or not. That will be left up to Philbin and whether or not he wants to put his job on the line by talking Ross into spending the money it will take to sign Flynn to a long term contract.

My view of Ireland as a NFL GM has been negative for the last two years. I don't see him as a person who is good in his job and I have felt all along that the Dolphins will remain a mediocre franchise as long as he is responsible for selecting the players for the roster.

You may have, "seen it all now", but I have seen enough of Ireland over the last four years to know that I have absolutely no faith in him to turn this team around. On this forum, I may be in the minority, but there are thousands of former season ticket holders who feel exactly the same way I do about Ireland.

Fin-Omenal likes this.