1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Justin Blackmon Sports Science

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ckparrothead, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_97kBZqj270

Is there really any doubt that he's the best WR in the Draft? I mean, really?

I don't get all this late push nonsense to have Kendall Wright above him. I have been pimping Kendall Wright since before people even knew of him as a 3rd rounder...but come on.

texanphinatic and Jcouch1021 like this.
  2. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Blackmon really is baby beast

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I love his ability to adjust to the pass. That's something that sets him apart and really can't be measured against other WRs. There was a kid I knew in HS. I don't even remember his name. He wasn't on the team and wasn't even a good athlete. But he sometimes played with us in pick-up games. This guy just had a knack for catching the ball in a crowd even amongst far better athletes, many of whom went on to become college all-americans. And it wasn't a fluke. He just knew how to adjust is body, anticipate where the ball would end up and position himself accordingly. Now you put that ability in an athlete like Blackmon and watch out. I don't think he has the uber-measurables (size, speed) of some of the recent studs or the best in the game, but I think you put him in the right situation and he could be as productive. Compared to a guy like Marshall, I would expect that Blackmon will be a little smaller and slower, but have better hands. I don't have WR on my list for the Dolphins, but if QB was off the table (we sign Flynn or Tannehill/Weedon is gone) then I might be tempted should he fall just based on BPA strategy. It could happen if Wright or one of the other WRs blows everybody away at the combine and some team falls in love with the measurables.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    No argument from me and I've done my share of pimping of wright, reason why was, at the beginning of the year only a few had wright as good and as explosive as he is being projected now, I remember I had a debate with someone who called me crazy for saying he's a top 15 talent, they said" ur crazy for putting a 5'10 receiver that high...however, no getting that love twisted in thinking he's better than that bad Blackman...lol, I think they both wil be special at the next level..I look at it like this, if Blackmon drops to us, i'am knocking over babies to get to the podium..

dolfan7171 and Jcouch1021 like this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I wonder if he'll run close to what Nicks ran..

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just a random thought on Blackmon with his 33 inch vertical, cam wake has a 44 with about 20 lbs on him...why the hell is that guy not resigned again?

dolfan7171, MikeHoncho and Fin-Omenal like this.
  7. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Because it's a business and you should get the most out of your players... Wake is under contract for another season at a very cheap price. Franchise him in 2013 and if he is still playing at a high level... give him a new 3-4 year deal.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I wonder if that vertical they measured is apples-to-apples with the method the Combine uses to measure vertical. It might not be. They mention his reach being slightly higher than Plaxico Burress...and Burress had a 33 inch vertical at his Combine.

I thought that part was interesting because you see a lot of 40+ inch estimates for Blackmon's vertical. I don't personally buy it, I think he could vertical more like 36 inches which is fine. But it's the eyes for the ball in the air and the control on his speed and body that are the most interesting thing about him.

Best part of the video was them showing via a graphic how essentially on a very short, quick bang-bang pattern they were throwing, Blackmon had the catch radius/range the size of a two-car garage. That was incredible.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think it's ok to do the right thing sometimes, especially considering the players production relative to what he's due this year, he's your best defensive player, has been, and he's making less than a lot of the other players.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't see anything wrong with letting him play out his contract.

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    struck me as bizarre as well when I heard it', expected better, but who cares right..

I love the pirouette talent, the ability to reach back and with momentum carrying you control the spin and body while tapping the feet in bounds, most talented receiver I've ever watched is Steve Smith, when I saw him make that move I was in awe, I've seen Blackmom do that move, that was cool for me..

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007

My impression of the NFL is that in the top 10 they take a huge look at measurable and a little less on ability.

The player I he looks like similarly that was drafted in the top 10 is Michael Crabtree.

The rest are either fast or 6'3" and taller.

Unless the NFL has learned their lesson, I think there is a chance he drops.

13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    He has a lot more physical gifts and upside then Crab...

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Does he? Crabtree was thought of as a top 5 pick at wide receiver. It is hard to think he has "a lot more" physical gifts.

Oboy likes this.
  15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    This is my personal evaluation from watching both throughout college. And remember Crab was passed on for Heyward Bey, and you could argue at this point that may have been the correct move.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    No one did when the pick was made. Crabtree was thought of as 100% the better receiver and old man Davis was a fool for drafting Heyward-Bey. That is the important part. Who cares what people think three years down the road. You cannot draft on 3 years down the road hindsight.

You could argue the point that Heyward-Bey being the right move today, means that Blackmon's game does not translate as well into the NFL. Having a player how has comparable size and speed not do as well, does not help Blackmon.

Oboy likes this.
  17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    If I were a betting man I would lay a huge bet that Justin Blackmon is a much more productive WR than Crab. His route running is better, he's more explosive and better hands.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I would make the same bet. For the most part Crabtree has been disappointing. Even much more productive than Crabtree doesn't equal a pick in the top 5. All you need is 1,000 yards per season with averaging 8 touchdowns a season to be much more productive than Crabtree.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The difference between Michael Crabtree and Justin Blackmon will not be about their physical skill sets. That's not what is holding Michael Crabtree back. Michael Crabtree's holdout really did say it all. Everyone assumed blindly that it was all the agent's fault, hence the speculation Dez Bryant would do the exact same thing because he had the exact same agent. But Bryant was if I'm not mistaken the very first guy from the 1st round to sign his contract, which made a statement. Michael Crabtree's holdout was all about Michael Crabtree and his family.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    gosh I really don't believe Crabtrees issue is talent related, I think hes very gifted..Idk, I surely missed that pick though.

21. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Here's hoping Blackmon runs in the 4.6's at the combine so he has a shot of falling to the Dolphins.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Some of you are not understanding what I'm saying. Crab is very physically gifted, but the difference in explosion is obvious IMO.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Everything I have been reading on Blackmon mention his lack of explosion

24. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If he somehow falls to us, you have to take him. Put him and Marshall on the field at the same time and you will scare almost any defense. Even with Matt Moore throwing to them. With him and Marshall, we would have the best wr combo the phish have had since clayton and duper.

djphinfan and MrClean like this.
  25. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    A Manning, Blackmon, Marshall, Reggie Bush offense I dig. Grab a Dwayne Allen in the 2nd....

26. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Love to see that type of test for all the WR.

27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

What do your own eyes tell you from watching him? I don't care what his 40 time is, the dude is very explosive IMO.

Oboy and Anonymous like this.