Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2012 Boston Red Sox Thread

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    5,024 Fist Bumps in 3,158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
    Apparently not....

I hope it doesn't happen but it's going to.
    y? just curious.....
    “He always treats people right and he tries to beat your brains out. That’s a good way to go about things."--Indians manager Terry Francona on Derek Jeter

Enough talk...prove it! BigDogsHunt's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    8,878 Fist Bumps in 4,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by finyank13 View Post
    y? just curious.....
    my two cents......the adding of the two extra playoff teams (The Wilder Wild Cards) is silly.....

take last year for example.....the end of season collapse of both BoSox, and Braves.....all that would have produced is one more game (a one game play-in) of BoSox vs Rays, and Braves vs. STL.

What's the point really? To me, the 1 team WC is fine....adding a single Wilder WC to each league is silly season for 1 more game....its pointless to the exercise in my mind.

Granted, both leagues should have equal teams (15 in each which is why HOU is moving to AL next year) - that needs to be fixed (then again if MIL never moved to NL we would not have had that issue to begin with..but thats spilt milk). So, having 3 divisions is part of the issue, which is why an 4th WC team was added to playoffs (with no bye-week for a given team, etc).

The "experts" say the 3 divisions (theoretically made up of 5 teams each) lets each city feel like they are in the hunt longer with the goal of winning the individual division or getting a WC for best record not to win the division.

The other argument is 4 Division with 4 teams each and thus no WC (however, MLB would have to add two EXPANSION CLUBS for that to get to 16 in each league)...so thats not likely right now.

Or the other, other argument, is go back to 15 team SINGLE AL and NL divisions...and take top 6 teams (or more if you want BYE weeks, etc, like football) however, again, most experts hate that approach since CITIES and FANS lose interest when they know they cant LEAPFROG all those teams if they are in the bottom of the list come AS Break, etc......its a mindset that Butts wont go into seats on single list....again, thats why more divisions with smaller number of teams were created to give CITIES hope, etc.

I also dont think Baseball and the BYE-WEEK concept works or is needed....more harm than good to keep a team (arms and bats) hot, and ready vs taking a FULL series off.

I also dont know why expanding playoffs under the mindset of this 2nd WC team and really make it a 1 game play-in to a 5 game series (or 7 game series) really adds DRAMA....I guess a CITY feels hope via the 1game...but its manufactured in my mind.

To me, the best thing about ATL and SOX collapses last year, was that they were finite once the last game of the 162game regular season proved the end result.....historic collapse, etc.

Take the same collapse, add this one game play-in, and if Sox beat TB, and or ATL beat STL, the "collapse" experience goes out the window....all because of a 1 game play-in after 162 games didnt decide it (unlike a TIE scenario).

At the end of the day, MLB (really the Commish only) is simply talking about adding the 2nd best, 2nd best record not to win a division into playoff contention. Why?
    BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

3. This Member gave BigDogsHunt a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    3,714 Fist Bumps in 2,853 Posts

y? just curious.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDogsHunt View Post
    my two cents......the adding of the two extra playoff teams (The Wilder Wild Cards) is silly.....
    Because the regular season in baseball actually matters, unlike most of the other sports. And I don't like having a lot of teams in the playoffs, if they expanded it to 5 teams in each league that means a third of the teams in baseball would make the playoffs, thus cheapening the regular season. The baseball season is so long as it is, you should reward the teams that played the best. It would cheapen the regular season and possibly water down the playoffs for 2 extra games.

Also I just don't like 1 game playoffs, sure it's exiciting for the fans but like I said it would cheapen the regular season. Everyone pointed out how the last day of the season was just so great with the Braves and Sox losing and St. Louis and Tampa winning but if you had expanded playoffs we wouldn't have gotten that. Instead we would have seen no sense of urgency from the Braves or Red Sox and instead of having exciting games at the end of the season you would have seen the scrubs playing while all 4 of those teams set up their pitching for that 1 game playoff. Plus that doesn't even consider the travel and scheduling nightmares for teams.

What MLB should do instead is make two divisions for each league (East and West or simply just get rid of divisions and just have leagues), get rid of interleague and have balanced schedules so each team in each league plays the same number of games against the same opponents. Then take the top 2 teams from each division and have a 7 game LDS series, 7 game LCS series and a 7 game WS. That way it actually makes the regular season and playoff rounds as fair as possible. Of course with this idea it would also be adding 2 new teams to balance the leagues out to 16 for each to keep the schedules and leagues even.

5. This Member gave Ray Finkle a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Jorge and Tek were one and the same....gamers....passionate...

Even Varitek’s old rivals paid their respects.“I’ve always admired the way Jason played the game,” Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter said. “He was a big part of the reason they had so much success as a team.”
    Said longtime Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who also retired this offseason, “Jason was one of those players that made the rivalry between our two teams so special. Regardless of the color of his uniform, I will always have a great deal of respect for the way he went about his business.”
    “He always treats people right and he tries to beat your brains out. That’s a good way to go about things."--Indians manager Terry Francona on Derek Jeter

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Jorge and Tek were one and the same....gamers....passionate...
    Really? Varitek once took himself out of a game after throwing a hissy fit because the manager had him batting 9th?

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Really? Varitek once took himself out of a game after throwing a hissy fit because the manager had him batting 9th?
    Negative Fredo, that was Posada......

and you know what I mean.....

9. This Member gave finyank13 a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

and so it begins......(I hear Beer and Chicken Fat do wonders for sprained wrists - too bad about that new rule)

Carl Crawford was not able to swing a bat today and has resumed taking medication after experiencing a setback in his recovery from left wrist surgery.

Crawford told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that the setback occurred when he was practicing bunting Wednesday and the medication is for inflammation in the wrist.

As recently as last week Crawford was hopeful about making a speedy enough recovery to be in the Opening Day lineup, but those odds now seem pretty long. Initially when Crawford went under the knife in January the expectation was that he’d miss at least the first few weeks of the season, leaving Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney as the Red Sox’s starting corner outfielders.
    BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

11. This Member gave BigDogsHunt a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

"The difference between Boston and Philadelphia, the Boston fans are a little bit more hysterical when it comes to the game of baseball," Papelbon said in an interview with 94WIP's Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Team. "The Philly fans tend to know the game a little better, being in the National League, you know, the way the game is played.
    douche...

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

douche...
    Yawn....

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Glad we can almost put this to bed...stellar compensation:

Already having picked up Chris Carpenter, the Red Sox have now acquired fellow right-hander Aaron Kurcz from the Cubs as the player to be named in the Theo Epstein compensation package.This comes almost five months after Epstein left the Red Sox to become the Cubs’ president of baseball operations. The Red Sox still owe the Cubs a player as part of the deal.

Kurcz, 21, was an 11th-round pick in the 2010 draft. He spent the entire 2011 season at high-A Daytona, finishing with a 3.28 ERA and a 91/34 K/BB ratio in 82 1/3 innings. Initially strictly a reliever, he made 12 starts last season with fine results. Still, he didn’t rate a mention in Baseball America’s top 30 Cubs prospects.

Kurcz figures to open this season in Double-A, though whether he’ll be a starter or a reliever is unclear. Carpenter is likely to start off in the bullpen at Triple-A Pawtucket.
    BDH -

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Lester opening day starter. Beckett to pitch home opener. Valentine made decision after Beckett endorsed Lester in Jan 1 meeting

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

No big surprise or shock there. It's the right move.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

dude is everybody going batsh$t crazy......? Like stupid athlete move day?

98.5 The Sports Hub@985TheSportsHub
    Bobby Jenks Charged With Drunk Driving In Crash
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/2...ving-in-crash/

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

dude is everybody going batsh$t crazy......? Like stupid athlete move day?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/2...ving-in-crash/
    This is beyond a stupid move. What a disgrace.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Agreed.....

in other fun news...

Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe suggests that a power struggle could already be emerging in regard to key roster decisions between Valentine and Cherington. Oh Joy!

A wedge appears to be forming between new manager Bobby Valentine and new general manager Ben Cherington on the best way to employ Daniel Bard, starter or reliever, and the best place to employ shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias, Fenway Park or Pawtucket.

Valentine reportedly told scouts from outside the Sox organization he wants Iglesias, not utilityman Mike Aviles, as his starting shortstop. The Sox manager believes Iglesias is ready to play in the majors, which runs counter to the organization’s belief that Iglesias, who is batting .200 this spring with one extra-base hit, is greener than Fenway’s fabled Wall with the bat.

Valentine has been lukewarm, bordering on openly cynical about Bard’s conversion from setup man to starter, a centerpiece of Cherington’s team-building blueprint, and a report, citing an anonymous Sox staffer, said Bard would be returning to the bullpen when the games begin for real.
    BDH -

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

and the saga finally ends...
    After a months-long wait, the Cubs and Red Sox have finalized the compensation for Theo Epstein. The Red Sox sent 19-year-old prospect Jair Bogaerts to the Cubs to complete the deal, MLB.com's Carrie Muskat reports.
    BDH -

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

Doubront with 4th spot, and Bard given 5th spot.....

looking forward to watching Doubront.
    BDH -

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

So much for the "rift" between Cherrington and Valentine and that Valentine had more control over the GM.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

So much for the "rift" between Cherrington and Valentine and that Valentine had more control over the GM.
    what am I missing, havent really been paying attention much, except for the Yankees just traded for a 23 year old noodle arm...

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:

First its Bailey with right thumb, and now Beckett....?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

A day after Andrew Bailey returned to Boston to have an examination of his "thumb situation," as manager Bobby Valentine described it, a Red Sox spokesperson said Monday that Beckett has left Spring Training and is scheduled to have his right thumb examined in San Antonio, Tex., while en route to Detroit for the team's season-opening series that begins Thursday.
    Gotta ask, what exactly are these boys doing in the clubhouse without beer and fried chicken to entertain them?

BDH -

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)