1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My opinion on the QB situation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Feb 17, 2012.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Ok. I thought I would put my two cents into this qb talk. I personally would take Matt Moore to stay as the starter and get a qb in the draft. To be honest with you guys, I don't know much about Matt Flynn to comment on him coming to Miami. I have seen enough with Moore that encourages me to believe that with an offseason and some good coaching that he could be even better at quarterback. At the same time, whomever Miami drafts at qb can learn the ropes until he is ready to play.

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Do you like one of the draft QBs or are you espousing more of a general philosophy?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Personally I like RG3 if that is what you are asking. But I don't who would be the best in my opinion.

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm not as high on RG3 b/c so much of what he'll do in the NFL is unknown. My current priority list is:

1. Luck
    2. Tannehill
    3. Flynn
    4. Weedon

After that there's a line where I'd be somewhat disappointed with anybody else. I'd list RG3 5th, but I'd hate to spend what it would take to trade up for him.

PhinsRock, Larryfinfan and dolfan7171 like this.
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I can't even put Luck on my list. I can't be optimistic enough to envision the scenario where we get him. but, Ireland should still try.
    but my hopeful starters:

1. Flynn
    1b. Tannehill
    3. Moore
    4. Weeden
    far distant #5. RGIII

MAFishFan and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    1. luck (kings ransom!)
    1a. Flynn
    2. Weeden
    3. Osweiler
    4.Testeverde
    5.Bart Starr

I do not trust RG3, my own opinion.. factualy not backed up, he does have fantastic stats

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    1) RG3
    2) Kellen Moore- in the fourth or fifth round.

Luck would obviously be my first choice but I see no chance of the Dolphins trading up with the Colts for their first round selection. I will leave it up to Philbin as to whether or not he thinks Flynn is a franchise type QB.

I don't think Tannehill or Weeden, are worth first round picks and I hope the Dolphins pass on both these QB's in the first round. If they want to take a chance on Tannehill in the third round and he is still on the board, I could live with that. I just don't think either Tannehill or Weeden will ever be more then quality backups in the NFL.

If they are going to draft a QB and it isn't RG3, I think that taking Kellen Moore in the middle rounds would be a better selections than Tannehill or Weeden in the upper rounds of the draft. He could back up Matt Moore next year while he learns the offense.

My hope is that they trade up for RG3 and if they don't, they will make a blockbuster trade before the 2013 draft in an effort to get Matt Barkley.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  8. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yes, but there's a difference between a very high price for trading with Indy (i.e. 2 1sts and 1 or 2 2nds) and a more ludicrous price it might take if they really have their hearts set on Luck as the future of their franchise. Luck doesn't do us any good if we can't eventually put good young talent around him.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I would never claim that Luck is a likely possibility, but I put him on the list in recognition of the fact that I would be willing to pay a ton to get him and despite the high price, he's still my top choice. I don't put Moore on the list b/c he's on the team. We don't have to go get him. I imagine he would be the starter to begin the year if Tannehill was the guy.

PhinsRock, dolfan7171 and djphinfan like this.
  10. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That is a good list. I am curious to see how Tannehill pans out. Not to mention Osweiller.

rafael likes this.
  11. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I wouldn't mind getting Kellen Moore with a late round pick.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    There is still that glimmer i'am holding on to while Irsay is in his public love affair with resigning Manning...

The three things I look at most when evaluating a Qb's is ..

1) How the player handles pressure, whether he looks uncomfortable, and how fast he reacts to it..I realize that is your thing as well....the evaluation stops there if I see nervousness ( Landry Jones)

2) Arm talent and all that it encompasses. Strength,accuracy and touch.

3) Footwork and Qb athleticism.

4) Leadership and presence..

So my list at this point is

1) Luck., I can't let it go until its a reality, and you Raf have something to do with that obsession, keeping my hopes up and sh&&, lol

2) RG...I think he demonstrates all the things I just mentioned, I think he's worth the risk..

3) Tannehill or Weeden, I believe Brandon has more arm talent then them all..and Tannehill has all the tools and potential for the list to come to fruition.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  13. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    1. Luck
    2. Manning
    3. RG3
    4. Weeden
    5. Flynn
    6. Tannenhill
    7. Foles
    8. Osweiler
    9. Cousins
    10. Corp
    11. Orton
    12. Campbell
    13. Re-sign Henne
    14. Harnish
    15. Lindley
    16. Wilson
    17. Johson
    18. Dixon
    19. Coleman
    20. Lee

dolfan7171 likes this.
  14. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Screw it, let's cover all of our bases.

Keep Moore, bring in Flynn, AND draft Tannehill. We're bound to hit on one of 'em :lol:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  15. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That's interesting. I never thought of that.

16. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    My God! What a list!! Someone might come out that one!

17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If they bring in Flynn, I can't picture Ireland also drafting a QB in the first round. However; if Peyton is the guy they bring in, they almost have to still draft a QB because of both Peyton's age and risk. That's why I believe bringing in Peyton, drafting Tannehill and keeping Moore is the best strategy. Not sure how doable it is, but looks good on paper.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  18. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That is a good list. I see we share the same desire when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks. I am waiting to see who Miami drafts when this combine pans out. Can't wait!! :lol:

19. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I really don't see very much hope that the Colts would even consider trading the rights to Luck especially since word out of Indianapolis is that Manning had an additional procedure on his troubled neck during the lockout and that he may have to have additional surgery for bone spurs near the fusion he had.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jim-irsay-says-talks-with-peyton-manning-have-begun-021712
    This just makes the decision to grab Manning that much more difficult and the Colts decision to draft Luck all that more certain.
    I still don't think we will have much of a chance at all for Luck or RGIII. Gil Brandt who's opinion is highly regarded around the NFL thinks Tannehill will be a top ten pick. I don't necessarily agree with that but it is a possibility.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  20. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I never stated that Kellen Moore would be a starter in the NFL. I just don't want to see the Dolphins waste a high draft pick on Tannehill, Weeden, or any other second tier QB in the upcoming draft. I believe that Luck and RG3 are the only top tier QB's in this draft. If the Dolphins are looking to draft their next backup QB in this draft, I would rather they spend a 4th or 5th round pick on Kellen Moore.

I think spending a first or second round pick on Tannehill, Weeden, or any other QB's in this draft will turn out to be no better for the Dolphins then when they wasted second round picks on Henne and Pat White.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  21. Speedy

Speedy Dolfan forever! :-)

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    My list:

1) Luck (Unfortunately, we won't have a chance to get him.)
    2) Tannehill (I love that kid!)
    3) Manning (Get him and Tannehill. After two years, let Ryan take over.)
    4) RG3 (I actually like him even a little more than Tannehill, but he drops because of the asking price for the No. 2 pick. He might be worth it though.)
    5) Keep Moore as the starter. Draft Osweiler or Weeden.

No to Flynn. I just don't believe in him yet. Haven't seen enough, because he's only started two games. That fact reminds me of Kolb: a backup that started a few games and gets a big contract with a new team. Not saying he might not do better though.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  22. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

If the Dolphins enter training camp without having added either Flynn, Tannehill or Weeden I will gladly donate to the next "Mr. Ross. Save our Dolphins, fire Ireland" banner.

MAFishFan, PhinsRDbest and dolfan7171 like this.
  23. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Yeah I don't know much about Flynn and everybody else who was excited about the possibility of landing him may know something about him.

24. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    1. Luck - obviously this has about a .000001% chance of happening because it would take around 2 entire drafts worth of picks to even make the Colts consider a trade but if I was Ireland I would call and find out what the asking price is and strongly consider paying it. Best Qb prospect maybe ever but certainly in the last 10 years or so.
    2. Flynn - IF Philibin is sold on him for his system I think he's the best option because he wouldn't cost any picks and we could spend our draft building around our new offensive and defense systems
    3. Tannehill - I like his upside and talent level, he is a guy that has a shot at being a franchise guy, Mike Sherman obviously knows the kid if he gives him his blessing it means a lot and we should consider him at 8/9. Could honestly be gone by then though if he climbs like Locker or Ponder did last year. Gabbert went what 10 last year?
    4. RG3 - I really like him but he's not worth what it would take to get him IMHO, if he slipped to 8/9 I think its a no brainer.
    5. Everyone else, if we don't get Flynn or Tannehill then I don't know what the front office is doing, hopefully whatever it is it works out.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  25. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Watch the Mike Sherman vids from the media availability interviews. IF he's not blowing a smokescreen, his comments indicate to me that he'd prefer: 1) Flynn - due to his comments concerning familiarity with a WC offense being an important aspect to GB's Aaron Rodger's success; and 2) Tannehill - despite the statement in print that he wouldn't comment on Tannehill, he comments on Tannehill having confidence and poise - a characteristic in another portion of the interview he feels to be one of the basic elements necessary for an excellent QB. Further, someone asks him a question that you can only catch a part of concerning what makes Sherman think Tannehill can be an elite qb.

A cynic here, but I saw no portion of any Sherman interview where he actually said he wasn't going to comment and I wonder if Ireland told the beat guys to print that even though Sherman actually said quite a bit.

And I hate to see Moore get the shaft here too. If the guy could develop, he could be a pretty damned good QB. We're stuck on the coaching carosel though and with the mandate being to win ASAP, I'd suspect Sherman would want to go with Flynn due to Flynn's familiarity with WCO.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  26. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    As it stands right now i'd like to see us keep Moore and get Flynn then let camp decide who starts.
    Unless by some strange chance at draft time we get the opportunity to pick up Luck.
    Then there is Manning at which if healthy and the right price would throw all out the window.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  27. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Tannehill, Weeden or Flynn with Moore already there. I'm tired of hearing how "this person shouldn't go there." If they like Tannehill and he's there at 8 or 9, just draft him already. who cares if he supposed to go there or not. I'd like for this team to finally have some sack and just do something. I'm not down on Moore by any stretch, but if they like Tannehill, just take him there. I'd be fine with them trading back in the 1st and getting Weeden. And there's also the scenario of them just flat out signing Flynn. We'll have to trust Philbin on that one. I'm over Manning. Initially I bought into the hype and the idea. But I'm done with it. A 36 yo QB with a neck problem screams bust to me. If he goes on to play well in Washington, Cleveland or Arizona, so be it. No more scrap heap players.

28. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

So, is this your "Short List"? :lol:

29. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Flynn tops my list, just because he would be able to walk into the mini-camps running the offense from the start. I think you are going to have a learning curve with any other QB option. I'm all for going with signing Flynn, keeping Moore as a backup, drafting Cousins in the 2nd or 3rd round. That to me would be the perfect offseason at the QB position.

IMO we can't get Luck, RGIII had a great year but dont know how his game translates to the NFL, Peyton wont be healthy. That leaves Flynn or Tannehill that are familiar with the offense. Possibly Moore, but he was far from great. I say roll the dice on Flynn and see what happens. If we dont have to draft a QB high that opens us up to taking a high skilled position player or maybe a defensive playmaker?? Even the option of trading down, and picking up some extra picks.