1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pat Kirwan on peyton manning

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Feb 12, 2012.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...s-have-to-ask-themselves-some-tough-questions

djphinfan likes this.
  2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Obviously he hasn't made a decision, and he is smart to keep all options open as late as possible, but I don't think he is in the cards - just to much for him to lose imo.

We are, however, in the unique position of knowing more about Matt Flynn than any other team except the Packers, and they won't bring him back. If Philbin thinks that Flynn is a Super Bowl caliber QB then we get him. If Philbin is not convinced of this, we start looking elsewhere which can include Manning, an RG3 trade up, or sitting and taking a Tannehill.

3. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Yeah, fixed that for you. :lol: I think you set the bar too high if you expect a QB to be ready to win a Super Bowl upon arrival to a new team. We get a playoff caliber QB then we have a chance, and many other things have to go right to win one (ask the Pats of 07 or this past year).

Flynn didn't wow me as I watched the hightlights, he got the ball to guys who made lots of plays for him. That could be enough for us to win a lot of games though, and it would be fair to Philbin to let him roll his coaching career dice on a QB of his choosing. I think he would get a lot of slack if they ask him to work with Peyton though and pass on the chance to get a young guy in here in Flynn (if -and this is key -IF he actually wants Flynn as his QB for Miami).

4. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I would hope that the Dolphins take a quarterback in the top half of the draft every year until the quarterback question is finally answered. Not necessarily in the 1st round unless someone really stands out there. The quarterback question has been as frustrating as the coaching carousel. Sure would be nice to go into one season with an established quarterback and a coach that is finally good enough to not worry about any more.

texasPHINSfan and MAFishFan like this.
  5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It didn't need any fixing. I don't expect Flynn to carry us to Super Bowl this year if we get him. It will likely take at least 1-2 years for any new starter to get acclimated and up to speed. But if we bring him in, it had better be because Philbin thinks he is a Super Bowl caliber QB. If he doesn't, then there is not much point in going after him.

Whatever we may think of him, Philbin has all the info he needs to make the call on him.

6. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    For the first time the Fins have the kind of inside info that should help with the decision not only on Flynn but also with the Texas A&M kid and even RGIII.
    Could be that they know what they are doing and the decision may be easier than usual.

7. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    :up:

8. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Maybe they could find someone in the 2nd round, people like Chad Henne, John Beck and Pat White.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  9. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Okay, so would you consider Cutler, Rivers, or Flacco as Super Bowl caliber QBs? I'd rank them as playoff caliber QBs who could get us to a Super Bowl (some easier than others) and I'd be okay with any one of them in Miami.

As for Flynn, I'd think it would be the rest of the team getting up to speed in the new offense that might hold him back the first year or so. Granted, he needs a lot more starting experience himself, but I'll be honest, I don't think he is a Super Bowl caliber QB. Playoff caliber, maybe? Probably? With a good enough team around him, I think he could get us to the Big Dance. I have yet to see anything that makes me feel he could carry a team mostly by himself though.