1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Feb 5, 2012.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I have never seen this guy play and know he is a former wr with 1 year qb experience.This question is for people who have watched him this year play this year.How long do you think it will take this guy to develop into an nfl ready qb.I have read he has huge upside if he has the right coaching and this seems like the perfect staff for somebody like that.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He's got a lot of talent, can do all the things you want from a physical perspective, arm and legs..Prototype size, good character..

Solid first round pick..gonna have to make a tough decision at nine..If we sign Manning and draft Tannehill that might be the right approach to solidify a position that has been neglected for a long time.

I'am hopin we got some intel on the prospect as to where he will go in the first, and how good his ceiling is..The connecting to sherman should not be ignored, thats huge if he thinks Tannehill has franchise potential..If he does, I have no problem with selecting him...Personally I really like the player.

3. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I sound like a broken record but I think if they get manning they will draft players to win now.Probally a right tackle.

pacadermng67 likes this.
  4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Tannehill was a QB in high school IIRC, and made the switch to WR to get on the field. Then he switched back to quarterback for his final 17 games or so. Yes, he's raw, but he doesn't have only one year's experience at the position in total.

5. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Did not know that but high school experience is not the same as college experience.

6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

When you consider the fact he switched to WR voluntarily for 2.5 yrs, and after switching back midway through 2010, to be able to soon play at a relatively high level, after such a long layoff speaks well for his overall football acumen and intelligence. Came into the Kansas game part way through, then led the team to 6 wins in a row, after not even playing there since high school? Damn, that is impressive to me.

ToddsPhins, MAFishFan and DolfanTom like this.
  7. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I can't argue with that.Who was playing QB ahead of him to make him switch to wr?

8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Is it possible that we get Manning, trade down and still get Tannehill in the mid-late first round?

9. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Another way of looking at it though, is that if they get Peyton Manning and he's anywhere close to what he was then the team may be good enough to win now period. You can always shore up some weak spots with later draft picks or a few free agents.

However, if they get Manning and he's just a shell of his former self, then you might very well find yourself back to square 1 next year still needing to find a franchise QB.

Drafting someone like Tannehill would be hedging your bet on Peyton Manning and gives you the possibility of having a franchise QB ready to take over in 2 or 3 years if Peyton can play, or 1 year if he can't.

10. MrClean

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That would be ideal imo.

12. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
  13. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    speaking of peyton.. He would be the best person to Teach tannehill

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Tannehill would need a year on the bench. He shows some natural anticipation and pocket feel. And physically he is a prototype athlete. He was actually the best WR on the team those two years. He also seems to have that humble, anything for the team, personality. He does have those WTF throws, but IMO they felt like mistakes of inexperience.

15. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I just cant see taking a QB that was a WR in the first. I want a guy who knows the postion and done it forever. Having said that, I am also not fond of throwing a ton of money at Flynn even if he fits the scheme perfectly.What if the coach changes? Morever if we are going to get a 26 yr old QB why not go after Weeden? Not as expensive, and has shown great stuff in the Sr bowl. Of course not if we get Manning, not either Flynn or Weeden. IMHO

16. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Weeden was great in the senior bowl practices but did not play well in the game.

17. MrClean

What do you make of the fact that Tannehill is a much better pro prospect than Jerrod Johnson was, but the latter beat him out for the starting job at Texas A&M?

18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

If he was that great a college QB, why would Sherman have had him starting only one year and playing wide receiver during the first two years of his college career? It should also be noted that after starting Tannehill this past season, Sherman was fired as the head coach of Texas A&M.

I realize that Tannehill is intelligent and that he is obviously athletic, since he was also a receiver. I just don't see him being a starting QB in the NFL and I would be very surprised if Sherman recommends him to the Dolphins.

19. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no idea why people think Tannehill should be a first round pick. He started for only one year on a team which really wasn't very good and their head coach was fired after the season was over. The last QB the Dolphins drafted who came from an average team and the head coach was fired after this QB's last season was Chad Henne.

Henne had been the starter for four years at Michigan and was said to be the answer at the QB position for the Dolphins. That obviously didn't happen and I don't think Tannehill will be any better at the next level than Henne has been. Any team that drafts him in the first round is taking a huge risk IMO. He needs two or three years, sitting on the bench before he will even be ready to compete for a starting position.

I see him as no better than a third or fourth round selection at best, but there will probably be some team that is willing to take the risk and draft him much too high. I just hope it is not the Dolphins.

20. MrClean

How much did you watch Tannehill to arrive at your opinion?

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Who could we grab with our #1 that is more valuable than the chance at a franchise QB? Don't forget, there's a cap on rookies now.

22. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I like Tannehill a lot. Has everything you could ever want from a physical standpoint. Hell of an athlete too. He's a smart guy as well. He's not a guy you can throw in there day one though. Too raw. He would probably be my pick in the 1st round if we take Manning. Would be the perfect situation.

23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Happens all the time. College coaches aren't choosing their personnel for NFL teams.

24. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    If we get an additional second round pick we can always use that on Dwayne Allen. Assuming he falls to the second round.

That thought makes me....

http://queerid.com/attachments/USER/0/****.jpg

25. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    To be fair, Joe Flacco couldn't beat out Tyler Palko. Not saying he's elite or anything, but, it's safe to say that Flacco had the more sucessful NFL carreer.

26. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think that Sherman believed in Johnson long after it was obvious that he was limited. That's not uncommon among coaches. You might have noticed Sparano do that with Columbo.

MrClean likes this.
  27. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So Sherman was fired b/c of Tannehill, a class act QB who will be a 1st rounder despite limited time at the position? Nice conspiracy theory. :lol:

That Sherman guy should be ashamed of turning his young 3rd string QB into a freshman All-American WR rather than unproductively sitting him on the bench behind 2 talented QBs (Stephen McGee, current Cowboys backup, and Jerrod Johnson, 2nd team Big 12 and current Steeler)...... and then moving his now sophomore Honorable Mention Big 12 WR back to QB where he becomes an Honorable Mention Big 12 QB ..... and then bests that by locking himself into the 1st round after leading the Aggies to the 10th & 11th ranked yardage & scoring offense.

And the problem here is whhhhhat???? :dunno:

BlameItOnTheHenne and dolfan22 like this.
  28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The way Coples played at the Senior Bowl, he's likely gone. That basically leaves us with a RT (Reiff or Martin), a DT (Michael Brockers), a DE (Ingram or Upshaw), or Tannehill.... or we could reach for a position of need (no thank you). Right now Coples is my first choice b/c he's an immediate impact at a great price, and I think we have enough defensive talent to become the next Ravens type D if we bring in the right draft picks to sustain it. If we had nothing on defense, I'd take Tannehill.

I'm skeptical about Ingram or Upshaw becoming the elite DE we'd need them to be in order to make their selection more valuable than a highly talented but developmental QB in Tannehill. There's no way I take a RT over Tannehill, I don't care who he is. And we have enough DTs (and decent ones at that) to not take another one over a potential top 5 QB. Perhaps Blackmon falls and gives us something to really think about.

The wild card here is how close our FO feels we currently are to competing for a SB with Moore and an immediate 1st round producer combined with our current team vs Tannehill & the 2015+ Fins, whomever that team may be.

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    IMO if we land a near 100% Manning, then we highly consider drafting Tannehill b/c, if Manning can't get our talented team to a SB without allocating our 1st round pick to an immediate need/contributor, then we have problems. lol.

thisperishedmin and PhinPhanatic like this.
  30. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    If it were up to me, and assuming we dont get Manning or Fynn (not a fan of te later either) I would draft BPA from the pool of T, OLB/DE, or even S. Then make a move for Weeden in the second. His skill set and maturity could be just what this team needs.

31. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I guess the draft forum is just for show now

32. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Painter obviously hadnt learned much under Manning so will a Rookie QB get a tutorage?

33. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Courtney Upshaw. A guy that can play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. He's going to be a double digit sack artist his entire career. He'll also free up Cameron Wake to get back to his 18 sack level. He's also able to play the run and pass equally well. Much safer bet that over drafting Tannehill or Weeden.

34. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Great question. I believe starting QBs are not interested in, and are not being paid to, grooming the #2 QB. That is what the coaches get paid to do. Manning would not have time to 'coach' his understudy. Painter is the perfect example. The potential GOOD PART of this is, we are stocking up on good COACHES that should be able to get the next guy ready. Where has the world gone when coaches are expected to coach.

35. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Curtis Painter not being any good is directly responsible for Curtis Painter not being any good.

Clipse and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  36. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    This.

Plus, if you look like this and you play football, you most likely never had a shot at being good.
    [​IMG]

Clipse likes this.
  37. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    So basically you like Tannehill as a future NFL QB and I don't. I still feel that if he was as great as you say he was as a college QB, he would have been starting much sooner at A&M. All your argument does is prove my argument that Tannehill will be nothing but a backup QB in the NFL. He basically was behind the two QB's at A&M who are today, backup QB's in the NFL. Why anyone would think that he will come into the NFL and be a starter, when the QB's who started ahead of him at A&M are now both backups in the NFL, is beyond me.

We all will see in a few years if Tannehill will be a quality starter in the NFL or just another Texas A&M backup for an NFL team. Until then, it is only a matter of opinion by both of us, as to how effective he will be at the NFL level.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sign Manning, drop down, pick up an extra late first, draft Tannehill and Dwayne Allen with our first two picks..

Double banger jizzer..

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Safer? Yes. But that's not what I'm asking really. Let me try again.

The draft is different than it used to be. With the rookie cap, the first round pick is not the risk it once was. The only real way to set your franchise back in the draft, is to continually miss on a franchise QB.

Even before the rookie cap, you could lose your entire draft and still turn around your club (Saints) then constantly playing safe and missing on a QB (Dolphins).

It is time, to say eff "safe". There is no position on the team that will turn us from what we currently are, into contenders like a QB. Not an all world LT, not a sack artist, not an elite safety, not even a pro bowl WR.

All this bs about defense wins championships is wrong. QB's win championships and they win them continually. Defenses win championships occasionally and only when they are good enough to be considered in the GOAT talk.

40. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    So...pass on an elite pass rusher who can also cover to reach for a second round talent at QB in the top of the first round of the draft? I'm all for upgrading the QB position, but within reason.