1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weeden, Cousins moving up the draft board?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Couple of tidbits:

from RotoWorld (via Evan Silva):

Of course, there is also Tanneyhill; and then potential veterans, like Flynn, that could be legit options to bring in and compete. I think there are several opportunities for the Dolphins to improve the most important position on the field (via talent influx and competition).

2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Dalton was an outstanding college QB on an undefeated TCU football team. Cousins on the other hand was an average QB on a very average Michigan State football team. I don't see Cousins ever being more then a backup QB in the NFL.

My problem with Weeden is his age and the fact that he already failed at the professional level in one sport. He might end up as a quality QB in the NFL, but I just don't think the Dolphins can take the risk in drafting a 29 year old QB in the first or second round.

mroz and hammer like this.
  3. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    No, I would have avoided Ricky because when all is said and done, he wasn't worth the headaches he created while a member of the Dolphins. He had one great season and then spend the next few years deciding if he wanted to play football or not. Ricky certainly wasn't worth the draft picks the Dolphins had to give up to get him from Saints. Also I don't see any NFL team drafting a 29 year old running back in the first round either.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You would have avoided Ricky because you can see into the future?

Rhody Phins Fan and SCall13 like this.
  5. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I thought the Dolphins gave up too much when they made the trade in the first place. After his first year with the Dolphins, I had changed my mind and thought Wannstedt had actually pulled off a great trade. Of course there was a reason the Saints were willing to give up on Ricky in New Orleans, and in hindsight, perhaps the Dolphins should have checked into his character issues more closely.

It wasn't up to me to look into the future with the Ricky Williams trade. That was the job of the front office and Dave Wannstedt. They decided to make the trade and it worked for one year. After that it all went down hill, along with the fortunes of the entire team. I bet if you went back and asked Dave Wannstedt if he would make that trade again, knowing now what he knows about Williams during that period of his life, Wannstedt would tell you that, no way he would make that trade again.

6. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I like Kirk Cousins.

7. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    This team has done fairly well in the first round but less so in the 2nd. Given our track record, I wouldn't hesitate taking Weeden in the 2nd round. Chances are any other pick will bust anyways.

8. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    When Cousins faced an NFL defense (2010 Capital One Bowl vs Alabama) his team was shut out 49-0 and he looked like a lost child on the field.

Laces Out, jsizzle and SCall13 like this.
  9. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Yea, we have had a great deal of luck with the QB's taken in the second round in the last four years, Henne and White.

10. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Unfortunately a lot of these experts get excited with a players size and arm. They seem to overlook whether or not the player can actually make plays against quality competition. A lot of college QB's ran up stats against inferior opponents and didn't show up when their team played a top team on their schedule.

Cousins is another player who is rated much higher then he should be, only because he is a QB. I don't see him as anything but a career backup in the NFL.

11. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah a college offense versus an NFL defense will make that happen....you put Cousins with an NFL offense versus that defense who knows what happens? Luck would have looked lost against that defense with his team as well.

Trowa likes this.
  12. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Is it the players that were picked or where they were taken? Taking a 2nd round talent in the 1st round doesn't suddenly give him first round ability.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    While I get what you are saying in terms of difference in talent level, I had no idea Alabama made the jump to the NFL. Do we play them this year?

14. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Thankfully, no. We would lose.

15. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Week 6.....mark your schedule. :up:

16. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    The only problem I have with Cousins is as I stated in the Senior Bowl thread is that he is SO streaky. I have watched several of his games where he didn't get going until it was almost too late. I watched another where his OC did him absolutely zero favors by calling nothing but deep passes against a D that ran exclusively Cover 2 all game. I think if Cousins got on more of an even keel, then he would be worthy of the praises, but until then I will be playing the wait and see how he pans out(and totally willing to eat crow if he is successful).

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If you draft Weeden it is because you believe he is running the offense like a veteran in his second year. He doesn't get 3-4 years to develop. Any team would say yes to a franchise QB even for just 6-7 seasons which is what you're banking on with Weeden. Question is can he run your offense like a veteran in his second year?

18. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    that is the biggest bunch of bull crap . the man wanted to play football and get a education . this age thing is older then the hills . its just a excuse for dolphin fans to not like a guy. the man can throw the ball just as accurate as Griffin and he is bigger . so screw the age thing that isnnt going to keep us from wining games.
    So just Like Wes welker and Sam Bradford , Brandon is well liked . my hat is off to Weeden for taking this big of a risk so calling him a failure is lame.

19. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    The age is a very legitimate concern. There are going to be several nuances and intricacies he will have to pick up before he can become a "franchise quarterback." How long is it going to take him to learn them and incorporate them into his game? If the answer is more than 2 years, and it's difficult for any QB to rise to the elite level in just 2 years, then you're looking at a 31 year old quarterback who still needs time to develop. Wheras in 2 years a guy like Andrew Luck is going to be 24 which gives him a lot more leeway in his learning curve. Weeden's learning curve is going to have to be a straight incline from the word go if he has any chance of seeing his full potential while he still has a chance to put it to work for him. And the question of "just how long is he going to last in the league" is legitimite and should not be dismissed so carelessly. He has previous shoulder injuries. What happens if he ends up have recurring shoulder issues like Chad Pennington? Issues that could be further exacerbated by his advanced age.

So yeah, it's not just a "bunch of bull crap" or "just a(n) excuse for dolphin fans to not like a guy." There are very legitimite concerns that come along with drafting a player who is 29 years old with a premium pick.

20. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I never said Weeden shouldn't have tried to make it in major league baseball. The fact though is that he did not succeed and that is why he is a 28 year old college football player right now. His age may not matter to you, but I bet it is going to matter to the GM's in the NFL when the draft comes around. I think if he was 22 or 23 years of age, he would most certainly be a first round draft pick. Because he will be 29 when the season starts next year, I believe that this will cause his draft position to drop dramatically. There are some on here who see him as a first round selection. We all shall see when the draft rolls around if his age matters to NFL GM's or not.

21. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Weeden is a no brainer in the 2nd round to me personally, the kid is a good Qb. I think he will start in the NFL. IF he was even a few years younger he would be a no brainer top 10 pick. With the current salary structure for rookies he's not a high risk pick, he will start for 5-7 years and that is worth a lot to NFL teams, I think fans are way too obsessed with his age, I don't think teams will pass on his talent for too long in the draft. I think he's a first round pick.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If you think Weeden can be franchise even if it for less time than another QB, you pick him in the first.

Because of the rookie cap, reaches aren't quite the problem they used to be. No player we pick at any position will have as much impact as a franchise QB.

23. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

This is a Qb league now, and unless nobody has noticed, franchise qbs dont grow on trees.

Weeden will go in the 1 st round.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Why is a 29 yr old QB any more of a risk? If a 22 yr old QB ends up as a bust, that's not as bad as 29 yr old who does?

25. MrClean

Actually his birthday is October 14, so he will still be 28 when the season starts, just to be accurate on things. Unless you know something the rest of us don't about opening day being moved back later than mid October.

26. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Thought Weeden had shoulder issues in AA ball? He was held in high enough regard to be included in the Kevin Brown trade to the Yankees.

27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Well based on how the Dolphins started last season, it appears they weren't aware the season even started until the first week of November.:yes: As far as Weeden goes, I just feel that his age will be a factor in which round he is drafted. I don't think that most teams want to draft someone who won't possibly be ready to be a starting QB in the NFL until he is in his 30's. As I have stated, that is merely my opinion and we will all see in a few months which round Weeden is drafted in.

28. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not exactly clear on your logic. As far as I am concerned, a bust is a bust, no matter the age. I just think that NFL teams draft a QB to be their long term starter. Andrew luck ,who will turn 23 during the 2012 season can be projected to be the Colts starter for at least 12-15 years if he is as good as projected and he stays relatively injury free. Weeden on the other hand can only be projected as a starter in the NFL for about half this time because of the fact he is six years older than Luck.

I'll accept that if there is a GM out there who thinks Weeden can come right in and be a starter from day one, he certainly might be willing to take a chance on drafting him in the first round. Yet if the GM's in the NFL think it will take Weeden 2 or 3 years to become a starting QB in the NFL, I just don't seem them spending a first round draft pick on him and it all has to do with his age. I have said all along that if he was 22 or 23 years old, he would definitely be a first round draft pick. I just think that age does matter in this situation and that it will affect his draft position. In a few months, I'll see if I am right or wrong.

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Your logic is flawed.

If you can get a QB to play at a franchise level for 4 years, and you don't already have a franchise QB, you take that player in the draft, end of story. Especially now that signing first round picks won't put your franchise in cap hell.

You know what's more important than an all world LT that you have for 12 years? A franchise QB for 3 years. Unless your goal is not to win SB's....

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's why the age thing isn't nearly as important as whether you believe he can be a franchise QB. Statistically, you can expect Weedon to play 8 - 10 years. Assuming you believe he'll be a franchise QB, that probably means 5 - 7 years of elite level play, another 1 or 2 years of good play and a year or so of developmental play (maybe what you saw from Dalton, Newton this year). Nobody would hesitate to use a first round pick on that. If you don't believe he'll be a franchise QB then you don't use a first on him regardless of his age. All the other stuff about how he did in baseball is incredibly irrelevant. Very few athletes are good enough at both to do well on a professional level. As for the injury rumors, my understanding is that he was injured playing baseball and it would be an issue if he were still playing baseball, however it is not an issue for football. It is very common for players who play both sports to have pain doing the more extreme activity in one sport and not the other. Unless the doctors see something that will be a football concern, (apparently the OKST doctors didn't) I assume it's a non-issue.

jw3102 likes this.
  31. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I would agree with you if I thought Weeden could be a franchise type QB. I just don't think he will be that type of QB in the NFL. He might be an adequate stater in two or three years but I don't see him ever becoming an elite QB at the next level.

I would certainly take a healthy Peyton Manning at his age, because we already know he is an elite QB in the NFL. You obviously have a great deal more faith in Weeden at the next level than I do.

Many on here think Weeden will be able to enter the NFL and become a franchise type QB in the next few years. For those people, I certainly understand them wanting the Dolphins to draft him, even if it is in the first round. I am just not as high on him as these individuals are.

I am certainly not opposed to the Dolphins going after any QB, at any age, if he can come in and provide a few years of elite QB play. If you think Weeden is the QB which will be this type of player, fine, I just disagree with you.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If you don't think Weeden has the skill, then that's fine. Reading your other posts made it seem like you didn't think he was worth it only because of age. So my bad.

33. MrClean

I was merely questioning your logic based on your statement "I just don't think the Dolphins can take the risk in drafting a 29 year old QB in the first or second round." You didn't say the risk in drafting Weeden based on his skill level. You made it sound like it was just inherently more risky to draft any 29 (actually 28) yr old QB, from the standpoint of whether or not he would be a successful player.

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's been by far the most common criticism by the critics here about Weedon. You see an occasional comment about why they don't think he's good enough, but the vast majority focus on his age. The age and whether he was good at baseball are completely irrelevant comments. It makes it seem like those posters can't focus on the relevant issue.

35. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Number 2 overall still?

36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think some people believe he is the second best QB prospect in the draft, but I don't think anybody believes he'll go second overall. On my list he's definitely behind Luck (and Barkley if he would have come out), but in the mix with Tannehill and RG3. Depending on the day, I can find reasons to have any of those three as the second best QB in the draft. I see those four, Luck, RG3, Tannehill and Weedon as the only four in this draft with good enough franchise potential to draft in the first round.

37. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I think Weeden is a hard one to read. Man playing against boys in college. Had the best WR and group in college. If he doesn't show more maturity off the field than the other QBs that would be a big red flag.

The closest comparison there is to Weeden is Chris Weinke...that didn't work out that well.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see that comparison as close at all other than in terms of the basically irrelevant age. Weinke was a poor NFL prospect at best. In terms of skills and play style, Weedon reminds me of Marino.

39. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Trowa I understand that his age is a big thing but if he can do the job why worry about his age. I take a qb who wins even if he plays for two yrs over a guy who cant win at all. Isee your point after all we have been through 28 qbs since Marino.

40. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I watched the Senior Bowl today to take another look at Weeden and see if I was missing something, since I am not nearly as high on him as many others on here are. Maybe it was the fact that he wasn't playing with the best wide receiver in college, as he did with OSU, or because the wide receivers he was playing with were running the wrong patterns, but Weeden was awful in the game today.

Reports for the week were that he was the most impressive looking QB at the Senior Bowl. In the game though, he had a very poor performance and didn't make any throws to wow you. He also threw two interceptions which were thrown right to the defensive back.

From what I saw from the QB's in this game, I wouldn't draft any of them before the fourth round in the upcoming draft. In fact I though that the best QB on the field was Kellen Moore and he probably won't be drafted until the later rounds because of his size and lack of arm strength.

Hopefully Ireland and Philbin saw the same thing I did today and they will want nothing to do with Weeden or any of the other QB's who played in the Senior Bowl , except for Kellen Moore. I think of all the QB's in the game today, Moore would be the Dolphins best selection if the Dolphins are going to be changing to the WCO next year.