1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much difference can he make? Manning in Miami.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Jan 24, 2012.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Its being talked about more and more. The buzz is starting to get louder, and suddenly what once appeared as a dream, is looking more and more like a possibility. Dolphins fans are being cautious to even dream about it....because of what a healthy Peyton Manning could bring to Miami for the next three years.

If Miami signs Peyton Manning, I believe they will become one of the top 3 teams in the AFC next season. The ability to read a defense, make line adjustments, to make any receiver look like a pro bowler. We have a solid run game, and a very solid defense.

What would be the immediate reaction to Miami signing Manning. How do you think Vegas would look at our team? How many prime time games would we get next season.......

I know....I know....its a month or so off.....but...I cant help but salivate at what ONE PLAYER could do for this franchise.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    ****. Yeah. Get. Peyton. Down. Here.

Section126, DolfanTom and Bumrush like this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Peyton Manning before the neck injuries would make all the difference in the world. Peyton Manning now? I don't think he makes much of a difference. I'd rather go with someone who I can hope will make us a perennial contender for some 5-6 year period.

bran, FinSane, Pandarilla and 2 others like this.
  4. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    You're assuming he won't recover.

Drew Brees before throwing shoulder injury...and after. Just sayin'.

DOLPHAN1, Steve-Mo, Moves and 5 others like this.
  5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Wow I agree with you.

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Bro. Just imagine Peyton Manning throwing passes to Brandon Marshall. :shifty:

7. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

But...I cannot see where we would sign him, and spend the type of money, unless we felt like it was at least highly likely that he could play at a high level for two years.

8. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Peyton Manning may very well go down as the greatest QB of all time when you consider how badly Indy was exposed due to his neck injury.

Peyton Manning would INSTANTLY make the Dolphins a contender with true SUPER BOWL aspirations the very first time he steps on the practice field healed from his injury.

Why hope to "develop" another 5-6 year plan when you can fast-track your way to the Super Bowl for the next 2-3 years with Manning as your leader? Are you kidding me? Assuming he is healthy of course.. Otherwise this is all moot.

9. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Depends on injuries. And nobody knows if he can recover and nobody knows if he CAN'T recover. But if Peyton says he's healthy and ready to play, I would trust him and make a move if doctors confirmed it in a physical.

firedan and Aquafin like this.
  10. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    If Manning is healthy you have to try to get him. He wins as much at the line of scrimmage with his mind as he does during the play with his arm. He gets people in position to be better. I would assume he would have a great deal of lattitude to change plays and that in and of itself will make us a better offense.

11. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    If he hasn't been cleared to practice by now, I'm not sure that ever will happen.

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Yes, I am. I think the odds are against it. Brees was a long shot that paid off, but if you bet the long shots you almost always lose. And in this case, even if he beats the odds your payoff is 1 or 2 maybe 3 years at most and even that is probably with a far lesser version of what Manning was. I see it as a better strategy to target someone who we believe can give us a longer window of potentially elite play.

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Maybe you're getting smarter? :wink2:

Pandarilla likes this.
  14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'd love to have him here if he gets healthy and can stay that way for 3 years. Not optimistic on his outlook.

- Indy Star

ToddsPhins likes this.
  15. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Plus this idea that he would go to the Jets to work with that flat slob and his gang of criminals is laughable. Why the hell would Manning go to NY to work with the toe licking loudmouth, in a locker room full of players that love to leak team problems every time they lose a game?

Peyton belongs in Miami and will wind up in Miami. Another reason I'm warming up to the Philbin signing, the guy reeks class and seems like the type of leader that could command respect from Peyton.

I'm praying Manning heals with a chip on his shoulder to stick it to the classless Colts... The same team that moved in the middle of the night is ready to dump him like a bag of rocks.

16. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Matt Flynn over Peyton Manning at this point without knowing the circumstances. Peyton also would want to go to a team with a chance to win the big one. Miami might not fit that bill.

17. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Fixed it for you...... :up:

MAFishFan, Moves and MikeHoncho like this.
  18. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Couldn't disagree more. If he's cleared to play, I'd take Peyton Manning for 3+ years over ANY QB (possibly even Luck) in the draft. If the Dolphins didn't have a solid core in place I might have a different opinion. I think a healthy Peyton Manning, even 75% of what he is completely healthy, wins 11 or 12 games for this team last year. I also don't think you have to mortgage the future to do it, either.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Brees was younger and not dealing with as serious of an injury.

SCall13, bran and ToddsPhins like this.
  20. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    One thing to consider is a cold weather market.. Manning had the luxury in playing in the dome and coming down south to Miami gives him year round weather and less of a chance of playing a cold weather, snowfest in December.

21. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Ten years younger.

22. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    When his neck directly effects his throwing motion, velocity, etc. 75% won't cut it.

It's not like a knee or non-throwing injury.

23. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What pieces are the Dolphins missing that other teams aren't? Who are these teams that have a chance? Miami had the #6 ranked defense in the NFL last year. They started 0-7 primarily because of the offense.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  24. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Hmmm would not take the chance brees is also a free agent I believe

25. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Why not draft a prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round, mentor him under Manning for 2-3 years and then either trade him for picks or bring in another QB when Manning is ready to retire? His age means nothing to me, Manning played at a high level before his injury and showed no signs of tailing off. He has had an entire year to rest and if, and only if his neck is healed, why not take a chance? At worst we finish at 10-6 or 11-5 which IMHO is far better than what we can expect from a combination of Flynn/ Moore or a QB we will draft this year.

Plus, the added benefits like making this franchise relevant again and creating energy in the stadium would help Ross achieve his goals and finally show a slight return on his large investment that by all accounts has been disastrous so far.

26. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Well, that's why we'll have to wait and see. Of course if the guy can't throw the ball, you don't sign him. That's a given. We're talking about all things being equal here. IMO, the Colts are so married to the idea of drafting Luck that I don't think they could keep Peyton even if he makes a near full recovery.

27. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    He has about the same chance of playing QB for the Dolphins next year as you do.

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I agree I think he's probably done.

I'm just saying to even consider him he'd need to absolutely be 100%

29. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Brees isn't going anywhere.

Manning will retire if he isn't cleared to practice/play. So it would be a good sign if the Colts release him and he says he's going to play.

30. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    This kind of reminds me of the Culpepper situation.
    Guy was starting to slip before his injury. Never made it back to that level again.

MAFishFan and gunn34 like this.
  31. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'd do the same thing if I was them. I love Peyton but taking Luck and cutting Manning now is the smart business move.

32. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Cullpepper can't even hold Manning's jock.

Moves, thisperishedmin and Eop05 like this.
  33. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol There's no situation that ever warrants Peyton being compared to Culpepper.

PSG, Fin D and Eop05 like this.
  34. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I said it reminds me of the situation.

Edited: Don't be rude. -Staff

35. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Or....... Manning may be fully recovered or at least feel like he can play next year... And this may be his tactic to get released as he is disenchanted with the organization and already knows his fate regardless of his status.

36. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Go look at Peyton's numbers in 2010. That "slipping" you're referring to is a better season any QB for the Dolphins has ever had, save for Marino's 84 and 86 seasons.

GreysonWinfield and GARDENHEAD like this.
  37. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    What's next, your going to compare Brandon Marshall to David Boston?
    Your talent evaluation is lacking if you even use the words Peyton Manning and Dante Cullpepper. Peyton carried his team for a decade and will be regarded as one of the greatest of all time, Dante will be a footnote and nothing more.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Cleared to play could be a long way from healthy or even 75%. You're talking about nerve regeneration. He can't even guarantee he'll be able to play in 10 months. Think about that. He's basically telling you that his doctors can't even him tell him he's likely to recover after what a year and a half of rehab? I come from a medical family and everybody I talk to doubts that he can make it back to a professional athlete level. I remember watching Marino when he had that pinched nerve in his neck. I think it was in Buffalo. He was throwing an out to the right and it was covered. Pressure was coming so he decided to throw it away over that receiver to the sideline. It wasn't even close to making it that far. Marino had an incredibly strong arm and with that pinched nerve in his neck he couldn't even make it to the sideline. What percentage of Marino was that? Manning has a worse injury that hasn't recovered after a full year. IMO expecting a 75% Manning is wishful thinking.

ToddsPhins and gunn34 like this.
  39. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    It's convenient that this reminds you of the Culpepper situation and not the Brees situation.

40. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    You saying there is no possible way if we get Peyton that he can't reinjure himself and never get back on the field.
    I say that could easily happen.