1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Brock Osweiler to leave ASU early to enter NFL draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CaribPhin, Jan 6, 2012.

1. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-ne...weiler-to-leave-asu-early-to-enter-nfl-draft/

I know ck was talking him up recently on the board. Hopefully he can come and talk about him.

He is a possibility moving forward.

EDIT: MIAMI DOLPHINS

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Thanks for posting this very interesting read about our beloved Dolphins.

:shifty:

3. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    He intrigues me.. I hope we take a good look at him.

4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    With Barkley and Landry Jones staying in school, maybe Osweiler thinks he can sneak into the first round now? Interesting.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a 6'7" monkey wrench thrown right into the middle of the QB rankings.

Honestly I don't know what to do with the guy.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Take him, and let him sit and learn for a year. Guy is so talented.

7. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've yet to see him play. So, I have to ask, how mobile is this guy? I'm not asking for Vick, of course.

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'd guess that factored into his decision. Also not likely Tyler Wilson declares, and he'd be ahead of Osweiler if he does too.

DolfanTom likes this.
  9. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Does Osweiler project as a 1st rounder? And if so, is 8/9 to high?
    All I know about him is that he is big and played for a crappy college team.

10. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Fixed.

Kid is full of talent, but you look up "raw" in the dictionary, and there's a picture of him. A little firery too, though, like #13, which is a plus.

11. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He could project as a 1st rounder (kind of tough to say) but 8/9 is probably viewed as very high right now even if he was a 1st rounder. I would think that his rating will vary a lot among different people. Given his experience, it'd probably be best for him to go somewhere where he doesn't need to start right away (like here!).

12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He's pretty mobile, especially for his height imo.

Silverphin and djphinfan like this.
  13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

You can't let a guy sit that long though. :lol:

At least we certainly wouldn't be able to.

14. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    If he is so Raw, I wonder why he declared. Wonder if it has anything to do with Todd Graham taking over.

15. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would guess that's a part of it, but I really think it's because his OC (Mazzone) is leaving for UCLA.

Also, with other top QBs returning to school, this is a good chance for him.

16. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Well, with Matt Moore making the Pro bowl next year, he'll sign a two-year extension after that. After his big injury in 2014, Osweiler will be ready to take over the Superbowl defending champs! See, wasn't that simple!

unluckyluciano likes this.
  17. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    He will make millions either way.

18. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    If this is indeed the case, we best think hard about making him our pick at #8/9. He's raw, but his upside might be worth the risk.

19. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Matt Moore and Pro Bowl. Together. Pretty funny.

Boik14, PhinsRDbest and DolfanTom like this.
  20. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I'm like a clown for your amusement :-)

PSG likes this.
  21. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    He went to the Pro Bowl in my Madden franchise.... then he only grew from an 80 to a 81 (wtf?) and I decided to draft a quarterback. :tongue2:

unluckyluciano and PSG like this.
  22. HenneGivenSunday

HenneGivenSunday New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    I wouldn't mind taking him, big upside with him. my question is how high his ceiling really is... but that's hard to project with any qb coming out. 8/9 may be high. but hey, gotta take some shots if you want to hit anything. it's going to be an interesting draft for us, this one. I wonder if available FA's will play into the draft plan as well.

23. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I love Brock Osweiler

Boik14 likes this.
  24. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    In my minimum amount of view on him, I am not a fan.

25. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Have a snickers Mr. Pesci ;)

DolfanTom likes this.
  26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Man does not move like he's supposed to at that height..

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    There's a reason he had a commitment to Gonzaga for basketball coming out of high school.

djphinfan likes this.
  28. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    There's nothing that says we have to pick at #8/#9. Could be a guy to target if we can work a trade down scenario into our draft strategy. That said, I'm sure more will come to light re; his projected draft ranking after the combine.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    More like 2 years. At the least. And it would be extremely helpful for him to sit behind a great player he can learn from.

30. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    You can never have enough Brocks on any football team...

31. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Rotoworld has it now that Osweiler has officially declared.

32. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    This kid is horrible. Whoever is giving him direction should be shot. At best, he will be practice fodder in the NFL. Kid takes one good hit and he will break. I live in AZ and believe me, even a lot of ASU fans are laughing at this decision.

33. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    In my opinion he didn't look great at all during the Boise Bowl game this year. Yeah, he has the size, a hell of a strong arm, and a quick release, but I didn't see the accuracy needed to succeed in the NFL. That will need some work, as well as his reads and decision making. But if he develops he could be deadly. I think he goes mid 1st to early 2nd.

34. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    He looked awul the few times i've seen him play. I mean downright dreadful. Big strong kid but thats about it. Not a franchise QB and never will be. Reminds me of another ASU QB named Andrew Walter.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  35. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Exactly right. Same supposed " huge upside " was said about Andrew Walter and no matter how they tried to spin it, each time he stepped on the field he sukked.

Put it this way. The same people hyping him up are the ones that hyped up Kevin Kolb when AZ signed him to a 63 million dollar contract. I believe it was catch of the year or something like that. LMAO. ASU is the dirtbag of dirtbag fail programs in division 1 football. A huge season for the Sun Devils is going 8-8 and going to the " any bowl we can get into bowl " Honest, its worse then pitiful, U of A are right behind them but not far

36. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Not sure what to think about this. Pretty disappointed in his decision. I'll post more about him later.

37. MrClean

8/9 is way too high for him. He's big, but his arm isn't exceptional IMO. He is not all that accurate and forces a lot of passes into tight coverage. He can move ok for a big man. I'd personally prefer Tannehill, Weeden or Foles over him.

PSG likes this.
  38. MrClean

No way no how do we want to take this dude at 8/9!!!

39. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no idea why anyone would want the Dolphins to trade down. If you look at the second round picks of Ireland over the last four years, there is not one impact player in the bunch. So instead of wanting the Dolphins to trade down, perhaps trading their next three first round picks, plus a second round pick this year, along with Jake long, to trade up with the Rams makes far more sense. RG3 could do more for the Dolphin franchise in the next ten to twelve years then all these draft picks and Long, combined.

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Just keep in mind that his bowl game against Boise State was I think literally his worst game of the year, very emotional game because he loves Noel Mazzone so much and Mazzone had already announced he was leaving ASU to go to a Pac-12 rival. Dennis Erickson had already been fired as well. I don't think anyone at ASU was keeping their emotions in check.

It's a red flag. The same kind of red flag as when Andy Dalton lost his cool in the Fiesta Bowl just prior to his senior season. You'll notice yesterday that Dalton lost his cool as the Texans started to build a lead. A sideline reporter talked after the Andre Johnson TD about how Pacman was blowing up on the sidelines but he wasn't the only one, Dalton was also throwing his helmet over the bench and throwing a tantrum. Dalton came back out there and played like he'd been rattled.

In the Fiesta Bowl, the headsets blew out just before the start of the game and remained blown out for the 1st quarter. Instead of calmly just finding other ways to get the plays, Dalton was kind of flipping out and he threw two picks I believe in that 1st quarter, they got down by multiple scores against Boise State. The game remained well within reach the entire game, I think Boise only scored like 14 or 16 in the game or something like that...but Gary Patterson said later that Dalton was losing his cool on the sideline and other players (especially the OL) lost confidence because of it. After the game I was affected by Dalton's press conferences because he, in a subtle roundabout way, basically blamed everyone but himself. On one of his interceptions he blamed the receiver for not quite running the route exactly right or something like that, but it was still a ball that shouldn't have been thrown. He blamed their slow start on the headset problems. He also, and I remember this because it affected me, made it a point to note that Boise State were giving them defensive looks that "we were never given in practice". It's just the way you phrase that is us (players) versus the people that are supposed to give us those looks (the coaches), and it was a way of indirectly blaming the coaches for not having prepared them for the game. Patterson specifically blamed the quarterback position and the passing game for that loss, though...and not just the ineffectiveness of it, but the leadership.

Now, for all intents and purposes, Andy Dalton was a cool customer his entire senior year at TCU. He was a cool customer in the Wisconsin bowl game, and won. And he was a cool customer (I believe) for most of this year in Cincinnati. But this was the biggest game of the year, the playoffs, and Fiesta Bowl Andy showed up.

And getting back to the point, that's the kind of red flag you have to have on file for Brock Osweiler...who CLEARLY lost control of his team and himself in that bowl game against Boise State (notice how Boise seems to always be on the other side of these things, gotta love Chris Peterson). That's going to show up at some point in Brock's NFL career.