1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never been this depressed....

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by SICK, Jan 5, 2012.

1. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    So if any of you remember:

http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?66854-Moving-to-Orlando-Florida-soon

My wife and I, after 4 years of savings, me working 7 days a week for awhile (2 jobs) to earn enough money to move to Orlando, to be in Florida, our home state, with her Daughter have made it. We should be moving one week from today.

Should.

We found out that due to a couple of unpaid sunpass violations ($1.00 a piece) from back in 2007, my wife has 15.......yes.....15 points on her Florida drivers license. We paid $1200.00 on the tickets (that were originally $1.00 a piece) to get this cleared up, and taken care of.

Well, the points did not go onto her license in 2007. They went on her license in October of 2011 when we paid them (by paying the fines we were admiting our guilt)

The reason we didnt pay the total $8.00 fines to begin with was we moved from 711 forest club dr in Wellington to 1022 goldenrod rd in wellington, and we never recieved the bills. They were never forwarded. Then, we moved to North Carolina.....ironically, none of the bills were forwarded to us. However, the bills for $300.00 a piece certainly made their way to us correctly.

Well, once we recieved those we called sunpass immediatley (knowing full well we would want to return to Florida so we didn't want any issues)

We paid them $34.00.....but the rest of the bills were "out of their hands" so we called Florida. It was sent to a collections and that was that.

My wife has more points than someone with DUI Manslaughter.

so now, after putting a deposit on a house this past weekend, packing half of our house, putting notice in all of our jobs, and planning to move January 12th, we try to get car insurance in florida and they tell us this astronomical price that we can't afford.

So now, we are stuck. Called a lawyer in Florida, said it was too long ago, told us to write a letter to a judge. We thought about keeping our NC tags and licenses, but thats risky if my wife were to ever be pulled over and found out.

So.....stuck in NC. Hating it here. Missing Florida. Missing my step daughter. Missing my friends. My wife feels like a bad mother for letting her daughter down....and I feel like a helpless husband.

I am so depressed, crying at work........feeling helpless.

Boik14 likes this.
  2. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    That is tough. Like super tough ****ty situation. Keep us updated, hope it works out for you bro!

SICK likes this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    In your honor I promise to mail SunPass a bag of urine.

Boik14, Big E and SICK like this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Go anyway, and figure out a way for her to commute without driving.

BuckeyeKing and Laces Out like this.
  5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Wow, dude. I'm sorry to hear this. Have you tried contacting multiple lawyers in Florida? There has to be some way around this...

6. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    So her insurance isn't extremely high right now?

7. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    SunPass uses lasers. That does not MAKE SENSE!

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    No, its almost like shes 2 different people in different states. But her Florida license has points from when she had her name before we were married. The nc DL has her now married last name......so dunno how it fell through the cracks, but it did.

9. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Womenz. AmIRite?

SICK likes this.
  10. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Dangdabit, SICK, do not make me call you Rex!!!!

Do not give up....Do not quit and throw your hands in the air. Do Something, Anything, get up, dust yourself off, and come up with options:

1) Call other Lawyers - Pester till you get the answers and help you deserve
    2) Reach out to the Judge - throw yourself on the MERCY of the COURTS
    3) Talk to as many Insurance Companies as possible
    4) NC plates and license is an option (what is the realistic chances for 1 year something happens)
    5) Network to anyone who knows anyone who knows someone in Law or Insurance and BEG and PLEAD
    6) Borrow the cost for 1 year from someone, anyone, and treat it as a loan and make payments - find a financial benefactor
    7) Drive her to work every day and pick her up every day
    8) Public transportation for 1 year if necessary
    9) Taxi cab for 1 year if necessary
    10) CAR POOL with other co-workers if possible

something anything, but do not quit....you can still do this.....come on man, buck up....we believe in you.

Boik14, gunn34, SICK and 1 other person like this.
  11. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    You could also go without insurance and drive reeeaal slow like an illegal.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  12. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I don't think you need insurance to drive a moped. I know in NC you don't even need a license, might be different for Florida though.

13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    If it was me and not my wife, I wouldnt mind it. But my wife will not drive a moped. I don't think she could do it lol

14. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

anlgp and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    byroan likes this.
  16. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    byroan likes this.
  17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Sick,

I think you're overestimating the risk of keeping the NC plates on your wife's car. I drove with NY plates living in MD for almost a year. If I ever got pulled over AND in the unlikely event they probed me enough to find out I had been living there I planned on telling them I was using public transportation and just a couple weeks ago brought my car from NY. If I remember correctly I think my friend who is a DA even told me this wouldn't give me any problems at all.

Really sorry to hear about this, but it's not something that should stop your plans. Sounds like you want this really bad. Figure out a way. Keep the NC plates until you can get the matter resolved. At least that's what I would do.

Good luck!

texanphinatic likes this.
  18. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Where there's a will, there's a way. Clearly, you want to be in Florida. Well, make it happen man. Life's road is never smooth. You have to handle and embrace the adversity that you and every other person in this world will face at one point or another.

19. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    did you call the General?

20. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I know this has been mentioned before but

1. Call as many traffic lawyers as possible. Some lawyers handle major traffic cases and thus want wealthy clientele and wouldn't give a crap about your case. Others are willing to take on cases just to have business and will attempt to solve your case(for either a flat fee or hourly). So keep trying.

2. Insurance wise, I suggest you go to a middle man insurance agency rather go directly to the big boys. Instead of calling Geico, All-State, State Farm, try the cheaper mom-and-pop operations or small sized agencies, they're willing to take almost anyone, just explain what happened and be honest, they want your business and are willing to work FOR YOU to help themselves gain clients.

I've had alot of experience looking for workarounds with my insurance and different instances with my driving history. I find being honest and and straight-forward about your situation and then looking continuously until I found someone willing to help me works pretty well.

21. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Sick, I feel for you...I really do. I'm no lawyer, but by paying, I think any legal remedy was forfeited. Now as to the insurance, have you explained that the suspension of license was due to a nonmoving violation? Is the state requiring you carry SR22? Also, is the suspension judgement satisfied? If so, can they require you to carry SR22 on your wife's car?

Also don't know how legit these are but hope it helps

http://www.floridasr22.com/index.php
    http://www.needfr44insurance.com/

22. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Keep the NC plates, I've known people that have gone to school for 4 years and never got a FL plate. You're a needle in a haystack in Orlando. Only question is how do you renew them?

23. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Have to get an annual inspection here in NC.

SICK likes this.
  24. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I would gladly keep the NC plates and licenses, but there are 2 walls in the way, different than if it was a normal out of stater moving to Florida.

It isnt the issue of having NC plates and licenses in Florida, it is having those AND having current points, (A lot of points) on a Florida license......so my wife would be infact fraudulantly using out of state plates to cover up a cop seeing her Florida issue, so if that were to be found out in a normal traffic stop, my wife gets a fender bender etc.....than the consequences could be severe.

also, like Byroan pointed out....the state of North Carolina has you inspect your car annually. I know, it may not be a ton of money, but to drive every year 600+ miles (one way) to get a car inspected is a lot to do. Not impossible, but annoying. Also, I would have to have a NC address no? I am sure I got some buddies I could "use" their address, but how concrete is that?

My wife and I came to a pretty good middle ground last night. We are writing letters to the state, to the judges, to the county clerks, to everyone. We will pay any fines we have, and we will wait this out. I am 24, she is 28. We are young, and Florida will always be there. We have a rare opportunity to be in a situation financially (due to a accident settlement) to pay off bills, get our credit in order, and really set ourselves up for the future, instead of using every penny to move.

We are both at ease with the decision. We have a 1400 sq ft town home here for 750 a month with water included around "A" schools. Can't find that in most metropolitan cities in Florida. My wife has an incredible job at one of the best plastic surgery offices in Nort Carolina (Piedmont plastic surgery and dematology), and they are looking to promote her to the histology lab with a real good raise. I know everyone and anyone within SunTrust here in the Charlotte area.....the opportunity for growth is enormous with some hard work.

My son has been at the same daycar since he was 9 months old (he turns 4 in a couple of weeks) so he has friends and is very comfortable with the teachers.

I am agnostic, I don't know about religions and things like that.....but with the situation we've gone through the past few months, it feels like "something" was telling us to stay. For whatever reason. We are going to positivley look at this, work hard, better ourselves, and when the time is right, we will be back in Florida. Could be next month (if a judge has mercy) or in a couple of years....but whenever it is, I'll buy a few of you guys some beers! Cause I have been posting here since 2007 (and prior on finheaven) and I really appreciate the words of encouragement, the love and the friendships from here. It's mushy, but it's true.

Anyone ever around Charlotte hit me up!!!

Fin-Omenal, FinSane and byroan like this.
  25. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I think you could be found of insurance fraud if you live in FL and use someone else's address is NC for "appearance" purposes too. Plus, it might even be worse than a single case of insurance fraud alone since you would be committing crimes across state lines (by that I mean you would be committing fraud in both states at a minimum).

And I'll be around Charlotte next week, only a short hop to LeLand, NC. :shifty:

26. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    :lol:

27. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Is Wilmington/LeLand near you?

28. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Exactly I think it's the best bet to stay put until its wrapped up. We should get a beer.

29. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Nah, I wish I was near the beach. I'm in between Statesville and Winston Salem. Probably 4 hours from there.

30. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    This. Arrange this set up until everything gets cleared up.

31. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    be careful having her drive in florida with NC plates on. While in NC if she was ever run by an officer the DMV return would have just been for NC, and nobody would see the points out of florida unless they specifically searched for it.
    Back in FL, if they run her even with a NC driver's license and NC tags, they will still almost certainly check for florida driving history as well automatically. I'm assuming with 15 points on a license it is currently suspended by the state yes? Driving on a suspended license can get her a hefty fine and a car impound, so just be careful if you go that route.

i agree with the others though. talk to a traffic attorney and see if you can get a judge to remove most of those points. Like you said, there are people who have DUI'd and killed people and are still driving. there's no reason your wifey shouldn't be able to drive because of a misunderstanding.

32. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You never know though. There are cases with drivers who just have dumb luck and get pulled over multiple times. Heck, I've seen the same person get pulled over twice in the same night in the same city, for something as minor as they didn't realize their brake light was out.

33. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    You bastard, you should get arrested for that! You probably cracked the window some and walked away thinking thats fine.....you horrible, horrible person.

34. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Ya but the risk is higher in the most popular tourist city in the world. Dumb tourist drivers, rubber necking looking at attractions, not knowing where they are going, tapping breaks etc....fender benders have GOT to be some of the highest % in Orlando.

35. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    not wearing your seat belt.

SICK likes this.
  36. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    F tha Police

Big E and Fin-Omenal like this.
  37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I've kept my Florida license in numerous states (mainly b/c I have an affinity toward it and really hate going to the DMV for a new one) while using insurance from a completely different state b/c the rates were lower.

My current car I bought in Texas, drove it back to Florida, and moved to NC..... 6 months have passed and the tags are still from TX, my license is from FL, and my insurance is from NC. There was a problem getting the title from the previous owner's bank, so I still don't have the proper title and registration, and my insurance address doesn't match my license address as I previously alluded.

I've been pulled over by NCHP 3 times for speeding during this time; each time I couldn't produce title or registration; tag was from TX and still in previous owner's name; license was from Florida (which was lost so I had to relay my license # off the top of my head); insurance was from NC (was the only thing I actually did have in the car to provide him).

Of the 3 times, I was issued a warning for speeding once...... and told to slow down and have a nice day the other 2.

Paul 13 likes this.
  38. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Divorce is sometimes the only answer... :couch:

BTW, :lol: @ Todd's story...

And I thought CA was ****ed up.