1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So ... Peyton Manning?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolfanTom, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I feel like w/ the Polians being axed, this possibility may be slowly creeping forward - Irsay wants Luck, cuts Peyton, and let the bidding begin. I would think this would be Ross' wet dream here - throw a BOAT/HELICOPTER load of money at him and make him the starter for the next 3-4 years.

I mean, could this actually happen?? Could Peyton Manning be our QB next year? Provided he's healthy of course. I mean, I'd rather have Luck, or another young QB on the rise, but - heck - with our defense, our receivers, and uprades long the line, and Bush, etc. .... am I crazy to think this could be slightly more than HUGE for us?

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he!

Aquafin likes this.
  2. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    12 months ago the thought of Peyton playing anywere but Indy in 2012 was ridiculous. Now I think it may be as close as 50/50. If he does go somewhere, we would be foolish not to try and get this guy! Caveat - if he is ready to go. He wins on the field with his mind as much as with his throwing and I think even if he isn't the "old Peyton" he will adapt his plays and throws to accomodate his abilities.

Aquafin and DolfanTom like this.
  3. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    It's possible. Maybe I give it like a 15-20% chance of happening. I Don't think he'll be in Indy...too much money even with the rookie pay scale. He's due 28 million, then if they want to trade him it would be something like an 18 million dollar cap hit. And that $28 million bonus does not include his contract, and then Luck on top of that. He is most likely gone from Indy by March 8th.

Besides bringing talent, I think he would get the most out of the rest of the talent. We better find a good replacement for Mark Colombo though if it does happen. Of course it would be a gamble with him coming off injury, but if he is healthy it would be an amazing pick up and every game would sell out. We should take the gamble. Not to mention Miami goes to play Indy...

I'm sure we would find a way to screw it up though even if we had a chance and he'd end up in the playoffs with Washington or something while we're sitting home yet again. I'm not getting my hopes up.

MAFishFan, mullingan and DolfanTom like this.
  4. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I'll take a 75 percent Peyton Manning over any QB we have had here in the last 12 years.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I think there is a very good chance Manning will not be a Colt when next season kicks off. I think there is a 0% chance that Manning will be traded to an AFC East team. No Miami, no Jets.

Washington is obviously a good spot, possible Seattle, San Fran ... Dallas?

But no, Indy will not trade him to an AFC rival.

6. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I don't know, whenever I envision him in a Fin uniform, the numbers 13-3 keep coming to mind ...

7. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I'm, of course, presuming this scenario only if he is released, not traded. We'll know more in early March!

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Give them Moore and Marshall.

9. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    They might not be able to trade him though. I said up there they would have to pay the $28 Million bonus, then on top of that if they traded him there would be a huge cap hit, something around $18 Million I think. (correct me if I'm wrong on those numbers please) So much money. And they also have to pay Luck.

Look, he may not even be healthy. It's likely he's let go. It sure will be interesting. I for one hope he is healthy of course...because if he is I'd want him.

But I can't help but think Manning even at 90% health would win comeback player of the year. Neck fusion surgery is tricky, people usually dont get back to 100% from it...but he's also an athlete, not your average person.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    The contract would mean everything.

With that neck injury, we'd be fools not to give him a deal that we can get out of if he misses x amount of time.

If we could do that and get him for a decent price then sure.

11. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    It absolutely could happen and you know what....if it does, How close did Sparano have us??

12. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    you may be surprised. 28 million is a lot of money

13. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Yea but our owner is a Billionaire

14. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    would you trade our first for him??

15. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Here's the thing - say he's free, and the bidding begins. I'm sure every team would love to sign him to a safe contract, w/ stipulations related to his playing time, etc. etc. That makes logical sense. However, the team that ultimately signs him will have to overpay, and essentially gamble that Peyton is 100% or close, and will play, and if he isn't - tough luck.

That said, is Ross going to be the guy to say, Blank-it, here's all you want Peyton and more, come be a Dolphin? Not so sure. Dan Synder, maybe, but not sure about Ross. I mean, who knows what goes on in that guy's head!

MAFishFan likes this.
  16. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    valid points about Ross. If there is a owner who could screw it up it would be him.

17. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This would put butts in the seats and Ross knows it.

DolfanTom likes this.
  18. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    From what i've read the neck injury is pretty damn serious.

19. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Neck injuries are serious in general.

20. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Very true of course. I'm guessing any team that signs him will have checked with doctors on this, and actually first witness Peyton flinging the ball across the field w/ speed and accuracy before signing any deal.

21. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i like peyton but i dont want another stop gap qb that will be here 2-3 years and then you are back to square one.

Trowa and Destroyer like this.
  22. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Could be an exciting 2-3 years, though! Instantly in the conference title picture (provided he's healthy). Immediately relevant!!!!

mbsinmisc likes this.
  23. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    it would be exciting no doubt but the window for us to do anything will be 2-3 seasons and if peyton gets injured again it could be less and then we are back to square one by looking for another qb etc

24. Phinastic

Phinastic Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Well, though he is quite older than Drew Bree's was when the Dolphins were interested in him, I think we all remember what happened that time. We had a chance, but our doctors told us not to sign him because of lingering injury. I don't think we pass up this Peyton Manning if we have a chance.

25. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    i'm sure miami's team doctors will do the proper research...they're good at this stuff..they never mess it up

Trowa, Aqua4Ever04, PSG and 2 others like this.
  26. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    We can continue to look while he's here. We wouldn't give up picks for him since it wouldn't happen in a trade, just Ross' money. It's enticing to draft a young QB and have him sit behind Healthy Manning for 3 years.

We've been looking since the late 90s for a young QB...it's not like I have any hope we'll find one, so I'd take 3 years of him.

DolfanTom likes this.
  27. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Heck, even if we sign Manning before the draft (please, God, in the name of Tebow, make this happen!!!), I'm still all for drafting a QB high this year.

28. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, it would be dreaming, but I think you have that backwards. I think a large part of why the Polians are gone is because of their want to replace Peyton... I think Irsay is the one who wants to keep Peyton around... At any rate, the big question is his health, as we all know... At 36 yrs old when the next season starts, a year or two is all we can expect, again neck issue notwithstanding... But that's a heck of a dream, isn't it ???

29. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Completely different situations...Manning is a sure fire HOFer that may become available (naturally, the injury is the issue), Brees was a QB coming off of a season and half of good play and a torn rotator cuff....usually a kiss of death for a QB. Now, things have turned out good for the Saints, but it was still a risky move. We all here are still bummed because not only did Brees shoulder heal properly, but CPep's knee never did...I don't think it was bad medical call, just plain bad luck....Fate's payback for having Shues here for 29 years...

30. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    The question is would he have same control of the offense that he did in Indy. His style is calling audibles a la Marino before Jimmy Johnson came and handcuffed him.

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We'd be idiots to not go after Luck. We'd also be idiots to not go after Peyton.

Manning is not a stop gap. He is a free pass to being relevant. A stop gap is someone who can man the spot and not embarrass themselves, like Matt Moore.

3 years of a real shot at a SB with Manning is not a stop gap.

32. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    The Jets are going to try hard to reunite him with Tom Moore.

33. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Put down the kool aid, boys.

Peyton has the clout to go where he wants and name his price. If you think he's coming to this disaster of a front office when San Francisco - a team that with a rock solid coach, tough defense, all sorts of weapons on offense, and that him joining will make them instant super bowl favorites - you're insane.

smahtaz likes this.
  34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He makes any team an instant SB contender.

35. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I said favorite, not contender. ;)

You're him, where would you go...here or SF?

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I dunno. Neither do you.

You assume his motivation is automatic SB. Maybe is motivation is take an underachieving team tot he promised land. Maybe he wants the competition of facing Brady twice a year. Maybe he wants to sit the bench in NO.

37. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    That's why you should be cheering for San Francisco. If they manage to make the NFC Championship Game, I don't see getting rid of Alex Smith...and some reports are saying Harbaugh wants Smith in 2012 for sure. He had a solid year this season, they'll give him a year 2 in that new system which fits him. So IDK if San Fran would be in the picture.

So I do think if Manning were to be released, Dolphins would be in the top 3 or 4. Redskins would probably be in the mix too. Maaaybe Titans or Jaguars.

If Ross got Manning, everyone would have to agree he at least tried. And if he is healthy and takes us deep in the playoffs? He suddenly looks smart and gets some time here. He was boo'ed on sunday when he went to the podium before the game for the JT ceremony...so I think he would be willing to spend for Manning if he got the chance.

38. PHINfromAFAR

PHINfromAFAR New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    IMHO The NYJ's are the obvious spot for Peyton.

As much as I hate them and it pains me to say it, they have a good team and really need a QB/Leader to get them over the top.
    Peyton fills that role quite nicely. That and just like playing here he would get to face Brady twice a year (you cant tell me the league wouldn't love that)
    He is in the biggest market and he is a bit of a media whore.

It just seems to make the most sense of any possible destination. At least to me.

39. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Maybe he wants to pounce on Brady twice a season!

Maybe he wants to face the Colts next season?

Maybe he would like to be w/ Harbaugh, and likes SF better, who knows.

But I would think we'd be on his short-list. Good skill positions, good-to-great D, ya gotta figure a better o-line (at least, his backside is covered). Not exactly a POS roster if you ask me!

40. If I were Peyton I would want to jump to a team like Balto. That almost guarantees him another ring. He could play 1 season for nice money and walk away with a ring. Flaco could use a season on the bench behind a legend.

A lot of it depends on who could afford the asking price or how much off of it Manning is willing to come for another ring.