1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Dungy?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Dec 16, 2011.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    With all the talk of potential coaches, what do you think of Tony Dungy as the new head coach? Would he do it?

2. dirtywhiteboy

dirtywhiteboy Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Central Fl
    I think he would be great as a GM!

3. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I would be fine with him as a coach, however, I don't see him coming back to coach any team. Good thought though.

4. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    No thanks. He still thinks douch bags like Mike Vick can be rehabilitiated and are owed a second chance. Screw that crap, we don't need him trying to save the world one thug at a time from South Beach, we want to restore this franchise to glory.

5. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Then we would be left with no coach if that's your philosophy, no 2nd chances...right.

6. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    No second chances for the dumbasses who do not appreciate the opportunity they are fortunate enoough to have. There is a big big difference in screwing up on the field and going to Federal prison. We are a ball club not a rehabilitation center.

7. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Northern California
    Dungy dropped three names he'd consider for head coach:

[video=youtube_share;AvqRdUcjg-4]http://youtu.be/AvqRdUcjg-4[/video]

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thats a little nugget right there, I would roll the dice with Chip Kelly..Don't knowwhy he would want to leave that situation, but if he did, I surely would investigate.

9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Wow, another vote for Jay Gruden.

As for Chip Kelly, when Jon Gruden began raving about the spread (after he got fired) and vowed to bring it when he returned to the sideline, it was after he'd spent a week with Kelly. It got to the point where Kelly offered Gruden the chance to be his OC for a year, and Jon nearly took it.

ssmiami likes this.
  10. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Dungy always said when he left, he would leave for good. That he didn't want to be defined as a coaching lifer and had other things he wanted to do (and is doing them).

Look at his last season in Indy. One way Jim Irsay got him to come back was to let him fly home to Tampa on Thursdays on the private jet. The Dungy family never relocated to Indy after he was let go by the Bucs in 2001.

Tony was already halfway out there door then.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  11. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I say Chip Kelly would make a good NFL head coach and everyone laughs at me and says he's just a system coach (he's not.) Tony Dungy says it and people take it as gospel. :lol:

12. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Chip Kelly is a system guy, I could care less what Tony Dungy says.

13. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I would ask for some sort of evidence to back up your theory but since your statement is so blatantly false I know none exists.

14. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I could ask you the same question as you are the one with the minority opinion. Chip Kelly relies on straight filthy speed to run a fairly simple option offense.

http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/oregonbone1.gif

Just an example of some plays they live off of. In fact I think I could argue fairly successfully that this is no different than Tom Osborne's offense throughout the a majority of his career and started to evolve to in the late '90s. Spread the field with nasty speed, make defenders think too much, give them 1 play out of 6-8 different looks, and play action once they are selling out to stop the run.

Better yet, straight from a man who won TO his last MNC none other than the current WR coach for the Oregon Ducks, Mr. Scott Frost

http://smartfootball.com/uncategori...s-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of

15. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Tony Dungy has said on Sunday Night Football (about any vacancy) -

"Don't bother calling."

16. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think Chip Kelly is a very good college coach. I just don't see his offensive scheme working well in the NFL. I think he would have about the same type of success in the NFL which Steve Spurrier did, which was not much. I would much rather see a top NFL assistant like Jay Gruden, or Rob Chudzinski hired for the job over another big name college HC.

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Much of Chip Kelly's scheme is already seen in the NFL. For example, I notice GB running Oregon's spacing/draw concept (it could be a stick/draw as those are fairly close in appearance) all the time. So it has already been proven that his scheme would work in the NFL. His Xs and Os are not the question. The concern with him and any other guy without NFL experience is mostly about handling NFL players vs. handling college players.

ssmiami and Disnardo like this.
  18. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Unless Miami has a different owner sometime soon I expect a really stupid choice as new head coach. Can anyone say Eric Mangini?

19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I see intelligent design when I watch his offense, I see intelligent decision making, I see him understand situational football like a belichek..

Also remember, this is a coach that Jon Gruden wanted to study so bad he almost took a job under him...Pretty cool if you ask me...This Dungy report is so random that it makes me think that Kelly has put some feelers out.

20. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    College coaches are always a huge risk - it is just such a different environment between college and the NFL as so many guys have found out.

Jay Gruden's name seems to be popping up more and more though. He would definitely be an intriguing choice.

21. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Just posted the same question on Dungy in another thread before I saw this thread. I could really get on board with hiring Tony Dungy for our HC if he would take the job.

22. pitted151

pitted151 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    South Florida
    Another re-tread??????????????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I suspect Dungy's advise, would be to stick with who we have right now.

24. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
  25. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    No.

26. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    Re-tread?? Really?? Then I guess the other "re-treads" like Fisher Cowher and Gruden are out on your list also. I bet the Pats fans are hating life because of their "re-tread" coach.

I had also asked the same question a few weeks ago and I think he would be a good choice but I really don't see any situation he would want to return to coaching. i am not real big on Cowher or Gruden, but Fisher I could warm up to. Now Jay Gruden I could get on board with him.

27. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    My God not Tony Dungy. Have we really fallen so far?