1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weeden to Blackmon not likely but would be a great get for the fins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Aquafin, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I know that many people dont like Weeden but He has skills and leadership qualities and he can do things that Barkley abd others wont do and that is call his own plays in critical situations. he is only 2 years older then some of the other guys so I dont buy this crap of Weeden cant play long term . Weeden is just as good as all the other qbs inthis draft . what Miami needs is more weapons at wr . our guys are ok but they arenot championship caliber players . A Justin Blackmon and Brandon Marshall would require deffenses attention which will free up opertunities for the running game. I dont have a grudge against Bess and Hartline bu we need some star power on this team and Weeden to Blackmon and Marshall or Fasano would bring excitement to this ball club.If I had smething to wager I would wager that if Miami were to move down 4 or 5 sopts and get Blackmon and get a extra pick for a right tackle and pick up Weeden in rd 2 that wager would be that we make it all the way to a super bowl . ( note i would be refering to next season.)

2. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Who are these "some of the other guys" you speak of?

3. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I was refering to the other quarterbacks like Barkley and Tannyhill . or that was what I was trying to say.

4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I like Weeden, but who is he only 2 years older than?..... Guys like Matt Ryan & Joe Flacco drafted 4 years ago who are still trying to emerge into true "franchise" status?

[​IMG]

(Note: I'm not really sure you can wager that; the NFL might have some say so. I could see something like 5 bucks though. )

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    28-21 = 2 now?

MikeHoncho and CaribPhin like this.
  6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I think he's referring to the guys at BYU.

7. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I may have misjudged Brandon's age but he isnt that much older then Luck and Barkley remember Kurt Warner he came into the league in his late 20's so i dont what is the problem. if we win a superbowl " the rings wont say they played with a older qb " if we score a touchdown there's no trophy that says the qb's age on it. All i am saying the age thing doesnt matter because soe qb's stay in the league for a good while being 28 doesnt stop you from throwing the long ball . 28 doesnt mean a guy's career is short . what if we draft Tannyhill and he gets badly injured and he is out of the league after a year or two then we are looking for another qb . THERE ISNT A TIME LIMIT ON PLAYERS. we have not had that many qbs that can call their own plays and that is my reasons for defending Weeden . screw the age factor the guy can play .

8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Weeden isn't much older than Luck and Barkley? Assuming all 3 even succeed (unlikely) and play until say until they are 40 (after all, you say age is no limit) Weeden would play 1/3 less of an NFL career.

Yea, Tannehill can get badly injured, but so could Weeden (who actually has an injury history in a professional sporting career; though he has been seemingly free and clear at OSU). And there absolutely is a time limit on players. Some play longer than others, some play effectively longer than others, but no one can play forever. A guy (with similar skills and at the same position) who comes in at 21 or 23 will have a better chance at a 10+ year career than a 28 year old.

Weeden may be calling his own plays now, but that doesn't mean he would in the NFL let alone early in his NFL career (that's not something unique to Weeden for the record).

I will say Weeden looks great in college. But how would many other college qbs look if they got to showcase their talents while in their physical prime (arguably), and while having the experience that comes with being a professional athlete, and while having the luxury of being more mature (ie grown up).

Why even invest in Weeden though when we have an effective 28yr old already on the roster? :P

dolfan22 and ToddsPhins like this.
  9. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Warner had time in training camp with the Packers, learing under Holmgren mariucci farve...he spent 3 yrs in the arena league playing more football, he played for the Admirals for a year and wasnt brought in as a starter in St. Louis but as a Backup at hardly any risk to the Rams. If it wasnt for Trent Greens injury we may not even of heard of Warner.
    Weeden will take a very high pick, take time to develope and by time he does he's what, 31? we may get 5 maybe 7 years of actual high calibure play out of him? And thats IF he developes into a quality NFL QB. It isnt like Warner came fresh out of college at 28 and started for the Rams, he had pro experiance.

10. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    i respectfully disagree with Brandon being a high risk qb if he plays well and win games then why worry about age if a guy can ply 6 or 7 years then thats a good career because some one else will take him and I just hope it isnt the patriots , jets or bills I am sick of big 12 players going elsewhere while miami gets players just from close to home and doesnt help attract more dolphins fans in this area . I can see you guys concerns and Yes I know Blackmon we would have to move up but the dolphins need to get in better draf t position and get some weapns for whoever the qb is other qbs that I would be excited about would be Luck, Barkley, Griffin III but as usual miami is puttiing themselve in crappy draft position so we probally wont get a stud qb anyways but i just wanted show my reasons for

11. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

Just from close to home? Since 2000 the Dolphins have drafted a total of 5 players that played collegiality in Florida, and only one of those was from Miami (FL). Over that same span they've taken like 8 players from the Big XII.

Also, if you're so bent on the idea of us going with a Big XII player, that's exactly what Tannehill is. :lol:

And who said Weeden is a high risk QB?

12. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    If we win a few more games we would certainly have to trade up to get Blackmon so I don't see this being very plausible. Weedens age is probably going to push him down significantly in the draft but I don't see us having a shot at Blackmon, I think trading multiple picks or players for a WR is a bad move, not a good value trade. We can't mess around with the Qb position anymore, we can't sit around hoping our guy falls or that we can find a late round gem. We need to target a Qb and go get him.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Bro stop. You had me at Right Tackle.

[​IMG]