1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70 years ago today!

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by gafinfan, Dec 7, 2011.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The day the world woke up the Sleeping Giants....god bless that generation...

besides the founding fathers, that was the best generation hands down...

gafinfan, MrClean and MikeHoncho like this.
  2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    if you ever get a chance, get to the memorial and stand over that vessel and see the oil still making its way to the surface! Many call them the "tears of the entombed" God bless each and everyone of them!

3. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Bump.

4. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

A salute to all those men and women who lived through "the day of infamy".

5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IMO, there was two days of infamy. On Dec 8, 1941, those Jap bastards invaded the Philippines which was a US territory at the time. Even if they had not attacked Pearl Harbor, the attack on the PI was all the reason we needed to declare war on those inhuman, brutal, godless heathens. No one in that war suffered any more than those brave men known as the Battling Bastards of Bataan. They fought their asses off against overwhelming odds until April 9, 1942, when their commander, Gen King, felt he had no choice but to surrender. Then the real suffering came with the Bataan Death March, and for those who survived that, over 3 years of captivity in terrible hellish conditions, where many more died. I don't feel one bit bad about the dropping of Fat Man and Little Boy, and considering what all the Japs did in the PI and in China for that matter, they deserved 10 more just like those two. I am sure you have read about the Rape of Nanking, and all that took place in the PI, and even now when I do it makes my blood boil. Not just because of the cruel vicious things the Japs did at the time, but of the continual denial of same even until today, by their govt and Jap Nationalists.
    Tomorrow, the movie Unbroken comes out, which is going to show factually some of what went on in Jap POW camps. Because the movie is directed by Angelina Jolie, there is some clamoring by Jap Nationalists that she should be banned from ever entering their country again. Fvck them. If I were her, I'd say you can take your denialist lies, shove them up your *** and set fire to them.

gafinfan likes this.
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Stay classy.

7. MrClean

What is that supposed to mean?

8. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Stay classy ... Hell! Right on Mr. C all this political PC about our dropping the bombs or the Japs are now our best buds don't mean squat. 70 years of so called friendship can't delude thousands of years of living the way they lived, their history is what it is and that upbringing is engrained into their very soul.

MrClean likes this.
  9. Ohiophinphan

History deserves to be remembered. History needs to be remembered. Revisionism and denial should be battled at all levels.

Yet to deny the past 65 years of friendship. To renew the rampant racism, religious antipathy, and stereotypes that infected the world prior to WW 2 and still rear their ugly head too often suggests we may not have learned from the history. Treating others as if they were less than human is what got the Japanese army the horrific reputation they earned among the Koreans, the Chinese, the Philipino, the Dutch, the Australian, the Brit, and yes our own US service people and civilians. We need to learn from that and do better ourselves.

Higgi likes this.
  10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Could not have said it better myself.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  11. MrClean

Throughout history the Japanese were plunderers, rapists, cruel and acted with impunity. They crossed a fatal line bombing Pearl Harbor and invading the Philippines. Someone had to pull them in line. The US and allied forces did just that. IMO they still think the same way. They're just a whole lot quieter about it today.

Sure we bombed 2 cities. Then gave them the Marshall plan, along with Germany. I guess we felt guilty for kicking their asses? And now? Well, Detroit LOOKS bombed. We have no electronics industry to speak of, and the "losers" ? Seem to be doing much better than we are. Meanwhile, we've sent all the experts, dies, molds, machinery and know how to China so the biggest commie country on the planet is now a huge economy and we are dependent as hell on them. If they stopped shipping, we'd FOLD.

We won the war, but thanks to our benevolence afterwards, they have won the peace. Had the Japs and Germans won, how much benevolence would the USA and the rest of the Allies gotten?

12. MrClean

Paul Theroux...the novelist and great travel writer has written.........

Japan "...is a one-race, one-language, one-family island of desperate overachievers who have a fascist belief in their own racial superiority." - The Happy Isles of Oceana, p. 161, The Solomons ...

They do make some very beautiful and tasty women though...

You know what they say....It is a good thing we won the war or we would all be driving around in Japanese cars...

Wait a minute, most of us are...

13. Ohiophinphan

Are you suggesting we should have modeled our behavior on that which we despise?

I support the dropping of the A-bombs. I have read hundreds of books regarding the Pacific/Asian theaters of WW 2 and have written as an amateur on the topic. The Japanese war crimes are probably even worse than most folks believe they were.

But the difference of beating a people in order to subjugate them (the fascist model) and defeat folks to ensure a just and lasting peace (the Anglo-American model) is something I wish to hold up as vital. I don't find any value in continuing to hold up the racist dogma of the 40's and earlier. I believe the actions of the Japanese military in WW 2 should never be forgotten. I also believe the mistakes we made in our history and indeed those made in any history should not be forgotten either. That is how we learn.

14. MrClean

Nope, not at all. Just merely stating a fact. We were benevolent. That is how we are. Two wrongs would have not made a right.

finyank13 likes this.
  15. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    What is American exceptionalism if not a belief in our national superiority?

The Japanese are, in many ways, an admirable people. They have their flaws, as do we and all other nations. But as a people they are mannerly to a fault, disciplined, hard-working, courageous, cultured, creative and respectful. It's regrettable that their leaders led them in a direction that made a nuclear attack on two of their cities necessary and unavoidable. Next time there's a fracas I want them on our side.