1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz . Many options at QB for Miami Dolphins beyond Andrew Luck

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Nov 30, 2011.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/...s-at-qb-for-miami-dolphins.html#ixzz1fC5XQRaH

Whatever happens at the end of the season its very likely we will end up with a new QB along with a new HC.We are lucky to have some pretty good ones to choose from .:yes:

We are out of the Luck running and we may be out of the Barkley running too if we end up with a record that takes us out of the bottom 5 teams.Who would you like to see drafted beyond those two and do you think Henne and Moore will around next year ?

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Don't know enough about the college QBs to have an educated opinion. As far as Henne and Moore go, I don't think both of them can come back. Neither one of them deserves to be a 3rd string QB. Depending on how Moore finishes and who we draft, the next college QB will be waiting in the wings as soon as Moore or Henne start to struggle. Or they may start right out of the gate. If we could somehow manage to hang onto Henne and Moore as 2nd and 3rd stringers, that would be great. But I think either one would get a shot to play backup somewhere else. Especially if Moore keeps playing at a high level.

3. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I look at it like this, 4 girls in the bar. 1 super hot, 1 hot, 1 average and 1 fat one. Miami loses it keys and wastes 30 minutes getting to the club. When they arrive all that is left is the fat broad so in order to keep warm at night they settle.

4. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    If Luck and Barkely are gone I want RGIII then Weedon. I think Henne is gone and Moore will be here.

smahtaz likes this.
  5. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    it will be interesting to see how it plays out ... MIN, STL, and CAR all have their QB in the fold ... no one knows what will happen with IND - but it all depends on Peytons bill of health. Assuming he can prove he is healthy, IND trades the pick for a healthy ransom (and not with us).

who knows what JAX will do ... but their QB situation doesn't look very settled right now.

point is ... if we win more than 1 more game -- odds of picking 1 of those top 3 will be very diminished.

i'd be very happy with either Barkley or Jones ...

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Barkley put his papers in to the advisory board..

I still believe it is 1 and 2 with Luck and Barkley, not 1a 1b..and I'am weighing the options of what I'am gonna have to give up to move up to aquire a QB with not prototype size, not a great arm, average athleticism, and his strengths are intertwined with running a horizontal offense. so for me its about if he's worth it to move up to the #2nd pick in the draft.

And I still would do everything possible to trade with Indy.

Landry Jones..hmmm, is he a good enough passer to sacrifice some pretty important elements in a skillset. Like composure under pressure, and the proper athleticism to deal with it, and make something happen after it.I don't see those things yet, and it seems, he's running an offense that doesn't have a lot of reads..He needs to throw the rock exceptionally if were gonna take him that high..

RG3..from what I see, and have looked at it very closely, this kid is gonna measure at 6'2..and right now I'am just looking at his vision,does he see his receivers in route or does he throw to a spot?...This kid sees his receivers, he not that accurate that deep by being Jimmy Claussen, someone who can't see what he's throwing at, he sees it.

Weeden..The best thrower of the football, best release, best follow thru,. having a very hard time putting this dude into a slot..I mean I think we at least have to be thinking about a Blackmon/Weeden or Kendall Wright/Weeded combination as well..

But bottom line, the most important decision is figuring out if Barkley is good enough to mortage some future on.

Aquafin likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, my pov is this:

I'd be about 70% fine with MMoore starting for us to begin 2011, no matter who the Head Coach is, but the Qb I want is Landry Jones.

I've also said, and stick by, the concept that this yr's FA Qb class is the deepest...evah.

If someone other then a Qb proves to be a blue chip/franchise type player at a different position, say Justin Blackmon, then I'd be fine with taking them as imo, we lack explosive, playmaking talent on offense.

Aquafin likes this.
  8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Any time you take a QB, you're mortgaging the future on him. It doesn't matter what you paid. You're mortgaging your future on him. Chad Henne was supposed to be this nice pick because as Merril Hoge said at the ESPN desk the day he was drafted, there's no pressure because he got taken in the 2nd round, if he doesn't pan out you can move on, there's no reason to be beholden to him for 3 or 4 years. What happened? Miami was beholden to him for 3 or 4 years.

The Giants and Chargers traded with one another. The Giants mortgaged their future on Eli Manning. They got a Super Bowl out of it, even though they arguably got the worse quarterback. That shows you how very little that draft compensation can mean in the grand scheme of things. The Chargers got the better quarterback, got far better draft ammunition, and have been the worse team.

It gets drastically overstated when people say "mortgaging the future".

It's important to get the right guy. Especially the right guy for your system.

gafinfan, finfansince72 and padre31 like this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is where Hoge ran off the rails, he conflated draft position with on the field value, as if 3-4 yrs worth of practice time, and game play, were throwaways.

Not so, the more that "just a #2 pick" plays, the less of a chance a potentially better player has, that is true for a first rd pick or a 7th rd pick.

10. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I'm always curious when I see this. What is the limit? Indy says they'll trade Luck (assuming Peyton is healthy enough to play a couple more years) for our 2012 first, second, and fifth rounders PLUS Jake Long and our 2013 and 2014 first rounders.

Do you make that deal? If Luck is truly a franchise type QB, he is worth it. If you are WRONG about him though....

Is it easier to give up our first and second for Barkely? Grab a stud OT or WR with the first and Weeden in the second? Roll with Moore for 2012 while filling some holes at OT, OLB, Safety with this coming draft?

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If you're wrong about him you're pretty much ****ed no matter what you paid for him. A team that is losing and is in the gutter undergoes enough self-inflicted damage to make the extra price you paid for Andrew seem like pittance, anyway.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I understand that, but can't get caught up in thinking or pressing to hard, I still have to think on not just whether he is the guy, but the guy I have to move up to #2 pick to get...I just don't have that kind of conviction yet..I mean if I had the same conviction you do then I agree with your philosophy..

13. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    well it is a shame that we couldnt be in better draft position to where we could trade town to 21 st spot and Weeden and Blackmon and a extra pick and take two offensive tackles all in one swoop.

14. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    The bottom line is if we don't take chances we don't get the Qb. We've been trading for other teams prospects, trading draft picks for vets and its cost us the chances to make moves on draft day to get a Qb. This is the perfect year to target one or two Qbs that we believe in and make the move we need to make. If we think Barkely is a franchise Qb then pull the trigger on a trade. We've mortgaged our future on sorry backups and 2nd round picks, if we trade up and it doesn't work then pick another Qb and keep at it till we get one. If we feel like we are sitting in a great position to get our Qb at our draft spot great, if not trade what it takes to move up.

15. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Mel Kiper also stated before last years draft that Cam Newton was the next Akili Smith and would be a bust in the NFL. He also had Jimmy Clausen as the top rated QB in the 2010 draft. I do think that Luck, Barkley, Jones, and Griffin will be productive NFL QB's, but I certainly don't feel this way because of how Kiper rates these players.
    I have always felt that if Kiper really knew what he was talking about regarding the prospects of college players in the NFL, an NFL team would have made him a GM a long time ago. Kiper is merely someone who spends all his time putting together a draft board and ESPN has been foolish enough to treat him as some type of expert.

MAFishFan likes this.
  16. SlyFoxxx

SlyFoxxx Sorry for Party Rocking

Jul 29, 2011
    For the record, there is more to being a GM than player evaluations but I agree with your premise.

17. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Weeden and RGIII look like winners to me. I would be elated with either.

18. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I have watched most of what are considered the top QBs in this draft play several times, and based solely on their performances in college games (ie not having any numbers from a combine or any such thing) my personal opinion is that the only one that can step in and start with any chance of success as a rookie is Luck. Barkley has talent, but I don't see the same maturity and mental toughness in him as in Luck...I think he will take a couple years to become a good NFL starter. The rest have talent, but I am unimpressed with their decision making. There may be smaller-school QBs out there that I haven't seen and that have flown under the radar that wind up being good NFL QBs, but from the ones being talked about right now, I wouldn't spend a high first round pick on anyone but Luck or Barkley.

19. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    Andrew Luck might be the next Peyton Manning or might be overrated, we'll find that out in the next cpl of years but remember that the #1 QB is not always the best one! (2005: #1 Smith, #25 Rodgers)

Styla likes this.
  20. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    Yeah it's not even 2012 and we're all talking about the NFL Draft already, it's just sad that we're in the situation to talk about this so early! :sad:

Styla likes this.
  21. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Put me down as an RGIII fan. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to have a better career than Luck.

Landry Jones certainly hasn't played like a top-10 pick this year...make that a 1st round pick. Maybe not even a 2nd rounder.

jw3102 likes this.