1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PSG, Nov 25, 2011.

1. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I've seen a few guys here clamouring for him. I watch UT vs A&M last night. Color me unimpressed. Maybe he just had a bad game, but he was inaccurate, displayed poor decision making, didn't have great pocket presence. I want nothing to do with him come April.

2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree with you 100%. Drafting Tannehill would be just like drafting Henne all over again. If Tannehill is the best the Dolphins can do when they select in the first round. I would rather see the Dolphins draft another position and select Kellen Moore in the second round. I think Moore has a far greater upside going forward than Tannehill. .

3. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Tannehill was a WR at A&M a few years ago. He's extremely athletic, and very raw still. To say Kellen Moore has more upside is widely false.

Aquafin likes this.
  4. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have my opinion and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I just happen to think Moore will be a far better QB in the NFL. I have seen nothing from Tannehill which shows me he has the ability to be a good starting QB in the NFL. I would rather see Moore in Miami than Tannehill. You view it differently and I can live with that.

5. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I don't think Tannehill can come and start and play well right away. He's far to raw still. However a 5'10 1/2 no arm QB has more petential then a 6'4 220 lb strong arm QB that is new to the QB position? You can believe it all you want, doesn't make it any less false.

6. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I don't really care how strong his arm is unless he drastically improves on his accuracy, decision making and pocket presence.

7. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Hence why its called....potential?

8. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Well Henne was a four year starter at QB in college. He is 6'3 230 lb, with a strong arm. How did that work out for the Dolphins? So as you stated, "you can believe what you want, but it doesn't make it any less false."

9. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Why are you bringing Henne up? I thought Henne was a 4th rounder at best, you don't have to convince me on how bad that pick was

10. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Yeah. I agree with you. I'd take Moore over Tannehill. However, I'm not convinced I want either.
    I still think we should sign/trade for Matt Flynn. He possess just as much upside as any QB in the draft no named Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley, but with less cost.

11. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Tannehill is not as good of a qb as Weeden in fact the kid from Kansas State who's name escapes now is a better qb for what Miami does.

12. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I did not say I that want Moore in the draft. I merely stated that I would prefer Moore over Tannehill, since I think Moore has a better chance of making it in the NFL as a QB. I would much rather see the Dolphins draft one of the top four QB's, if any of them are available when they draft in the first round. I believe Luck, Griffin, Barkley, and Jones, in that order, all are going to end up being much better QB's in the NFL than Tannehill.

Of course my opinion of Tannehill is merely from my observations of him in the few games I have seen him play. He may turn out to be a productive player in the NFL or he may not. I just don't feel that the Dolphins are in a situation where they can risk drafting a QB who they will have to try and develop over a number of years. He certainly would not be ready to take over the offense immediately. He would be better suited for a team who has an established QB and where he could sit and learn the position in the NFL for two or three seasons. If he has this opportunity, he just might develop into a solid starter down the road. The Dolphins just don't have the right situation to draft a Tannehill right now because they can not afford to draft a QB who will not be ready to play for several more years.

I believe Luck will be ready to play immediately. Griffin and Barkley should be starters sometime in the 2012 NFL season and Jones may have sit and observe for a year before he is ready to be the starter for an NFL team. All the other QB's in the NFL draft will need a few years to become starters, if they ever do actually become starters.

I am not a big fan of the Dolphins trading for Flynn. While he looked okay last year when he stepped in as a replacement for Rogers with the Packers. I just don't see him as a solid starter in the NFL.
    In fact I think he would not be an upgrade over Matt Moore. If the Dolphins can get Flynn for a 7th round draft pick, it would be worth the risk. I just wouldn't want them to give up a lower draft pick for what I consider a very mediocre QB in the NFL.

13. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    That would be Colin Klein.

He's got 1000 yards rushing and 1500 yards passing ... and a ridiculous 25 TDs rushing. There's no way he is going to declare for the draft as a Junior, which is a good thing because he's still very much a work in progress as a passer.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So you're basing all this off one game?

Tannehill is an outstanding prospect who possesses all the tools and abilities (including mental) to become a franchise QB.

Respectfully, anyone judging him on one game is acting silly :tongue2:, and it's equally as silly to judge him as if he's supposed to be a finished product. If Ryan were currently as polished as Barkley or Luck, we'd be talking about him as the potential #2 pick in the draft, and dare I say #1.

Steve-Mo and MrClean like this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    FWIW, NFLdraftScout (CBS) now has Tannehill rated ahead of Landry Jones, so the posters who have been "clamoring for him" aren't completely off their rocker.

MrClean likes this.
  16. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Both are not all that impressive.

17. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Kellen Moore in the 2nd round?????

That would be bad.

18. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I don't care much for Landry Jones either.

19. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Admittedly, I am basing this off of 2 games.
    All I can do is go by what I see. And I have not seen anything that would make me want the Dolphins to draft him with a top 10-12 pick.

20. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'd rather sign Matt Flynn than draft Jones or Tannehill in that range. For that matter Griffin isn't even all that great of a prospect. Barkley-Luck sure. The rest of these guys just don't impress me.

PSG likes this.
  21. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I agree with everything in this post.
    However, Griffin does intrigue me a bit. Although I'm not convinced his game will translate to the NFL.

22. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I don't see us taking Tannehill in the first round, I think he's more of a target if we are picking in a bad position to get a 1st round Qb and don't have enough to trade up. I would think he's a guy we might target in the 2-4th rounds if we miss out on the 1st round talent. He is extremely raw and I think would be a pretty good Qb to be grooming behind Moore for a year or so. He's not a bad fall back option IMO.

23. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You're not convinced that a super accurate QB who barely throws INT's game will translate well? The guy has 3500 yards, 33 TD's, 5 INT's, and 10.6 YPA. What about his game gives you that idea...?

ToddsPhins and MikeHoncho like this.
  24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Other than playing the same position, there is very little similarity between Tannehill and Henne.

25. MrClean

Took the words right out of my head. Tannehill will have been a 1 and a half year starter at QB after this season. Luck and Barkley each 3 full seasons. Heck, you maybe could get Tannehill at the top of the 2nd and still come back and draft Kellen Moore in the 6th, because he is likely to still be on the board at that point.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I know you are right.
    But sometimes I get the feeling in the NFL he will have a tendency to want to use his legs first. I wonder if he will have the patience and pocket presence to be a QB who can run or just be a running QB.
    But let me clear, I like RG3. Alot. In fact he probably either #2 or #3 in my QB list.

27. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    If we aren't using a 1st on Tannehill that fine I guess.
    I'm just saying he not my top choice. Or second or third or forth......

28. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    ...because he's... black?

29. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Umm...didn't say that, but thanks for putting words in my mouth and backhandedly calling me a racist....

I simply wonder if he will naturally want to use his legs everytime there is a little bit of pressure instead of trying to stand tall in the pocket.

30. MrClean

He'd be my 6th choice as it stands today: Luck, Barkley, Weeden, Griffin, Jones, Tannehill. Lindley, Foles, Cousins...

Ozzy likes this.
  31. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Not even close. Simply pointing out the natural knee-jerk reaction to any black QB coming out of college (where his athleticism is perceived —accurately or inaccurately— before any other trait). You have got to see film on this kid. He's a passer.

PSG and ToddsPhins like this.
  32. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Come draft day Tannehill likely won't make it to the 2nd-4th round, and he is 1st round talent.
    Heck, if we're going by "talent" & brains alone, he's a top 5 pick IMO. He just needs some quality nurturing.
    I'll take him 100 out of 100 times over Jake Locker whom we all know was drafted in the top 10.

33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :tongue2:

IMO there will knowingly be enough teams smitten with Tannehill's upside that it will force one of their hands to grab him early out of fear of losing him, so I'd be shocked if he makes it to 20, and I wouldn't be surprised if he went top 10. He's a natural passer with a live arm, good balance & coordination, athleticism, quick feet, and great intelligence, so I don't foresee any reason why he won't be able to sure up his mechanics & footwork to give his game that needed consistency.

IMO he's some experience & good coaching away from being a game-changing QB in the right offense surrounded by the right personnel.

I'd take a flier on Moore in the 6th. Why not?

MrClean likes this.
  34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He's my 2nd or 3rd. Luck, Griffin or Tannehill, Barkley, Weeden, Jones.

If we're going to have a lights-out defense, would you prefer an athletic, playmaking QB like Griffin or Tannehill to keep the pressure on defenses?.... or would you prefer an outstanding game-manager like Barkley?

MrClean likes this.
  35. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Fair enough. And like I said, you are probably right about him. I haven't seen alot of RG3, that is just my take on him from the limited action I've seen.
    I will make a point to watch the kid some more.

36. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Right now I would probably rank them:
    Luck

Barkley
    Griffin
    Weeden
    Jones
    Cousins
    Foles
    Tannehill

With the exception of Luck that order is subject to change.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It's understandable that you'd be concerned about a QB with Griffin's degree speed and athleticism being inclined to use his feet too often. However, in his case, he first uses his feet to create opportunities with his arm, and he can be quite deadly at it.

PSG likes this.
  38. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Wow. Maybe I'm blinded by the Texas game. That's alot of praise you're heaping on him. I may have to take a closer look at him, because I haven't been impressed.

39. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I am going to put Griffin and maybe Tannehill to the top of my to watch list.

40. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

My biggest gripe with Tannehill is that he makes a point to play his best in the games I don't schedule myself to watch. It's like he knows I'm trying to see him in action that week, and has an average day. Like the TAMU Arkansas game for example. If we draft him, I might just not watch a single Dolphin game.