1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dead Team Walking" "Theyve already mailed it in"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vinny Fins, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    I remember leaving the Meadowlands after that Jet game distraught as our fans screamed SUCK FOR LUCK, and the first quote was my thought. The second was that of any NY Talk Host the day after. We had become an embarrassment, a easy mark for our previously shuffling heated rivals.

Somewhere, Somehow, this team dug deep.

They went into Arrowhead and DEMOLISHED a at the time first place team in one of the toughest buildings to play in the NFL. They then came home, and in our own house of horrors where we've shuffled the last 2 years, absolutely THUMPED two teams with complete efforts in every phase.

The contributors are every where. The passengers are few.

This team refused to fold when 0-7 and besieged by injury. They refused to cave when team management HONORED THE OPPONENT during a home game. It's embattled head coach KNEW he was gone. Still, with no motivation but pride, they came together and they will punch your team in the mouth, win or lose.

I couldn't be prouder.

Full marks to the players and coaches for sticking together and defining professionalism under brutal circumstances.

Rest assured, there still will be and need to be massive changes after this season, but this team will take **** from NO ONE.

nvdolfan, Disnardo, MrClean and 18 others like this.
  2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    What we have a chance at getting one of the best QB prospects in a decade? Better start winning back into mediocrity.

MikeHoncho, Phyl, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  3. Vinny Fins

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Spare me your tale of woe.

4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Oorah

5. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Winning is a good thing but its hard to agree with the notion that this team has this kind of attitude and heart considering it folded when the games mattered. Now that there is no pressure we can come out and win? Where was the offseason commitment to getting in shape? Now all of the sudden when the playoffs are a miracle chance at best we have heart? I'd like to see us building a team that plays better when the pressure is on, not when everyone has counted you out and you want to play the spoiler. We had tons of chances early in the season to win games but our team fell apart under the pressure, we'd be in the thick of the playoff picture if we could have closed out games against the Giants, Browns and the Broncos. Hard to get excited here, sorry.

6. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    All of this talk of Luck makes me ponder the following question...

Would "you" have rather had the 1983 first overall draft pick in John Elway, or the 27th overall first round draft pick in Dan Marino?

There's no doubt that this class of QB's that will be available in this year's upcoming draft will be one of the better classes in a long time, but I wonder....with this mindset, it seems that had some of these same fans been around then, they'd be screaming bloody murder that we drafted Marino instead of Elway.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Does Elway come with two Miami Superbowl wins as opposed to zero?

That might affect my choice.

Team before player.

8. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Hindsight is always nice in a discussion.....but I'm sorry if we had the number one overall pick we would have taken Elway in a heartbeat. I think Marino was the greatest ever but if I had to choose from the two as prospects coming out of college I'd take Elway. And Elway is certainly a worthy #1 overall and in the discussion for greatest ever.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, keep in mind there were 6 Qb's taken in rd #1 that yr, Elway, Eason, Blackledge, O'Brien, Kelly and Marino

9 sb appearances among them, but Kelly, Elway and Marino started for their teams for over a decade, that to me is what I'd want to see.

As for mailing it in, Thursday games are real gut checks, we'll see what we are made of v the Cowboys, we win that one and we could see a .500 finish.

10. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Why do you even come to this board if you're just going to whine about winning?

Steve-Mo likes this.
  11. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    What we have seen is Sparano successfully selling an "us against the world" mentality and what the coordinators have been tryinf form day one to get the players to do together finally jelling. We are seeing a group of out of shape guys having played themselves into shape, as well as a really good rookie center settling into his position and leading an offensive line that is also beginning to jell. Daboll is calling some creative plays and confusing defenses. The defensive line has also jelled, Dansby is playing like an animal and the other LBs are playing decently, which is taking pressure off the defensive backs.

Once this team can run consistently, which is the next step, we continue to win and there is no way this coaching staff is replaced. Screw Suck for Luck. This is Miami Dolphins football. I'm rooting for them and hoping no one regresses.

mullingan likes this.
  12. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You really believe anyone other than Indy has a chance at Luck?

I don't think it's wise to trade an entire draft and the meat of next year's for him, either.

I'm loving the way the team is playing right now. And I'm fine with trading up for another QB. There will be others. And it can be done.

nvdolfan, siciliansith and Bumrush like this.
  13. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I fear for the disaster scenario where we finish 7-9, keep Sparano and Ireland, name Moore the starting QB, and draft a big hitter safety without ball skills and guarantee another 4-5 years of 6-10, 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 seasons.

14. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I am not impressed with the Cowboys .They are very beatable as long as we execute well and the defense comes to play as it has in the last three weeks .

However if the game is close in the last few minutes I an going to start worrying .We have lost two games in the last couple of minutes

unluckyluciano likes this.
  15. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Wow almost exactly what I was thinking. Somehow we squeak out 7-8 wins and Ross since he's already agreed to pay Sparano lets him stay for another year since there was a lock-out and no training camp. Than they decide to buy some free-agents to make a team and pass up on drafting a QB in round one since Moore is now Dan Marino around here with his stellar outing against 3 teams that are suffering huge talent losses.

Next year we again go 8-8 9-7 and we keep playing the mediocrity title, oh and Ross decided to bring in flava flav as a partial team owner and we adopt fight the power as our new team song to instill toughness that Sparano lacks..

16. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd be worried. maybe Dallas will be tired from that OT win, but they have been playing very well. Their running game is much better than ours and because of that Romo isn't turning the ball anymore, at all. If we don't force him to make some mistakes, we have zero shot to win this game.

17. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Now, one thing I want you guys to do since this was your response...go back and look at those 2 Super Bowls...look at them and see what was the X factor Elway had that Marino NEVER had.

I'll give you a hint. In one of those Super Bowls...Elway didn't play worth crap!!

Bumrush and Dolphin1184 like this.
  18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I loved Marino, but I would have had no problem taking Elway over Marino, if the Dolphins would have had the first selection in the 1983 draft. I certainly feel that Elway would have have similar career numbers to Marino, if he had played in the pass happy system, Shula built around Marino. Also as has already been pointed out, Elway did win two Super Bowls as an NFL QB.

19. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Since people are going to focus on the one man...the one position, I'm going to put this into perspective...

I loved John Elway. Thought he was incredible. Fell in love with Elway when I saw him come back and beat the Browns in the AFC Championship game which has simply been referred to now as "The Drive", but...

Terrell Davis, not John Elway won Super Bowl XXXII, rushing for 157 yards and scoring 3 rushing TDs (a SB record). John Elway...12/22, 123 yards and 1 Int. Elway did score a 1 yard TD rush on a fake hand off to Terrel Davis, but only due to the fact that Davis was suffering from migraines in the 2nd quarter.

Wouldn't it have been nice had Marino had Terrell Davis, huh?

Now, Super Bowl XXXIII, one could argue for Elway winning that Super Bowl, having gone 18/29, 334 yards, 1TD, 1 rushing TD and 1 int vs Davis 102 yards rushing.

But to just blindly say "Elway" won those Super Bowls??? Does anyone here truly think Elway had more poise and talent and on field leadership than Marino?

I don't think so. Elway had a running game. Marino didn't.

Hindsight being 20/20...I wouldn't have drafted Elway over Marino.

I would have drafted Thurman Thomas over Eric Kumerow
    I would have drafted Daryl Johnston over Sammy Smith
    I would have drafted Emmitt Smith over Richmond Webb
    I would have drafted Ricky Waters over Randall Hill
    I would have drafted Terrell Davis over Billy Milner

You can make the argument all you want that Elway might have been a better draft pick because, "he has two Super Bowl rings"...but give Marino anyone of those running power houses that were available to us in the draft that we didn't get...and it would be Marino...the 27th overall draft pick in the 1983 NFL Draft, and not the number one pick that everyone would be heralding still to this day.

Bumrush, CanePhin and Tin Indian like this.
  20. CanePhin

CanePhin Banned

Nov 12, 2011
    I'd have a hard time creating an argument where Elway is considered the greatest ever. All time great? Yes. Greatest of all time? No.

On comparable teams look what Elway did compared to Marino. Hell, Elway is only in the top 10-15 because of his last couple of seasons when the Broncos had one of the best rushing attacks in the history of the NFL and great defenses.

21. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Didn't Marino had some rumors floating during the draft?

22. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Miami wouldn't have had a pass-happy system if it weren't for Marino. What's more, Denver would have developed a pass-happy system if Elway could pull it off.

23. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Yeah. I think coke rumors and his wonderlic scores were pretty low.

24. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    It just feels so damn good to win, especially in dominating fashion like we did yesterday.

I also think you're seeing just how much heart this team has. 0-7, coach knowingly getting fired, some fans openly rooting for losses...and look how they've responded. They are playing great TEAM football, in all 3 phases. Absolutely bullying teams. Hustling, flying around, hitting hard. It really is great to see.

25. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

I've got 10 years worth of facts to back it up, unfortunately.

26. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    We'll get our quarterback, it just won't be the guy (Luck) who we all want.

If we stay in the top 7 we can make a move to get Barkley as long as we have a GM who WANTS to make the move and the team picking #2 and #3 don't need a quarterback.

If the Panthers are sitting at #2 I'd offer them our first, 2nd and a 2nd next year as a starting point to move up and get whoever we want,.

27. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I really think Jeff Ireland would trade up to get a good qb, if one is available. Would you have wanted to trade up for Ponder, Locker, or Gabbert last year? I don't think any of those guys were better than Henne and I think Jeff felt the same way. This years class is different.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

28. Vinny Fins

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn