Thread: Record number of "nearly poor" emerges in US

ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Stitches's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    15,190 Fist Bumps in 8,207 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by padre31 View Post
    Really?

What I think is funny is these films with the "wild college lifestyles of sex and booze"

Riiight..these ladies would trade sleep for sex in a heartbeat...

Dudes, for their part, mostly are interested in..video games, as in that is about all they chat about.
    Yea, I'm sure the guy/girl ratio had a lot to do with being in classes mostly filled with engineering majors.
    2014 Dream Draft as of 5/7
    19- Allen Robinson, WR, PSU
    50- Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada
    71- Trai Turner, OG, LSU
    112- Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville
    143- Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue
    174- Kevin Pamphile, OT, Purdue

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    20,227 Fist Bumps in 9,406 Posts

Really?

What I think is funny is these films with the "wild college lifestyles of sex and booze"

Riiight..these ladies would trade sleep for sex in a heartbeat...

Dudes, for their part, mostly are interested in..video games, as in that is about all they chat about.
    FIU. Nuff said. Every. Single. College. Sterotype. Regarding. Women. Evar.

"Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    945 Fist Bumps in 601 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lmeister3 View Post
    FIU. Nuff said. Every. Single. College. Sterotype. Regarding. Women. Evar.
    Gonna need some photographic confirmation

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    36,620 Fist Bumps in 20,693 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lmeister3 View Post
    As long as I'm happy with what I'm doing... that's all that matters.

Sent from my $1800 MacBook Pro
    Oh, okay.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    20,227 Fist Bumps in 9,406 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laces Out View Post
    Gonna need some photographic confirmation
    Photographs don't do it justice.

Oh, okay.
    Dang Pads, you didn't get the statement about the pursuit of a "higher education"? I was dripping in sarcasm there.

"Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Rookie
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    1 Fist Bumps in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Economic recessions have paradoxical effects on the mortality trends of populations in rich countries.. I've read an article about this issue, please allow me to share it here. Two recently published studies examine the influence of the economy on the unborn. The study implies even they are affected by the economic down-turn. One draws a parallel between the recession and declining birthrates. Another, more disturbingly, shows a fall in the wellness of those that are born. Here is the proof: Studies say that the poor economy affects birthrates and newborn health. Today’s recession could also represent a global stimulus to redirect societal goals through wealth redistribution, in the same way the Great Depression did almost 80 years ago. Global health disparities are at unparalleled extremes, and we would all benefit from decreasing economic inequalities, not least through lessening the health gap.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    677 Fist Bumps in 473 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post
    Carpool, community college for 2 years, rent and move to another area?

I grew up around NYC, and it parts are prohibitively expensive for young people. I moved away, lived in the South, and I lived in the West. I worked on fishing boats in Alaska to save for college, couch surfed at times, slept in my Civic or in tents at other times. It was emotionally difficult living away from friends and family, still is.

12 years later and college finished, I have a very good and secure job and can afford a different high-priced area. The struggle turned out to be defining. I would encourage parents to not shoulder the burden of tuition, let junior find a way (for example, enlist). Oftentimes, in our post-industrial world, that requires high mobility.

That's a tough reality if you have family that needs care at home, I was fortunate that mine didn't.

North Dakota is hiring. Grab a jacket at the Goodwill and get on that Greyhound.
    I like Japan's higher learning in this regard which is opposite of ours. Access to the cheapest public colleges require the highest in academic standards, not the lowest. The rest, 80% or so, go to private universities and colleges.

Not perfect, student academic competition and pressure to get into cheapest public schools, which by default become amoung the most accredited, is tremendous. And the ones who pay the least, are going to make the most.

For private, only the rich can send their kids away to college the rest have their kids stay home longer and/or do as you did, work. Also takes longer to get degrees, but with less or no debt to start off with.