1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Parcells ever going to admit he is a failure?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Frumundah Finnatic, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The two teams he built are disasters. He runs off to avoid the blame but the reality is that he built Miami and Dallas, and they are not good teams.

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He didn't fail either Dallas or Miami. He didn't win a Super Bowl, but he very clearly left both of those teams in better shape than when he took them over. The Cowboys are likely to squander what he did for them, we'll see what we do.

He's also probably going go into the Hall of Fame this year, or shortly thereafter... And it'll be totally deserved.

3. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :lol: Yeah, Parcells is going to admit he defrauded the Dolphins.

Bill Parcells is just a life-support system for his ego—and these days, not much else.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  4. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Looking back at the Parcell era will be a mixed bag.Overall it does not feel as though he accomplished what I felt he could have and don't know if he just did it to feed his ego then grew weary of the job.

5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Cowboys are an underachieving team. Over the past 5-7 years, they've had a pretty good core of players that have just not been able to get over the hump.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    No he won't admit it FF...I would like to see any President of football operations plan in the 4th year of taking over, if it consists of losing 7 in a row, 1 and 12 at home, most loses coming in embarrassing fashion, and he quits his duties in the 3rd, I would just say I have no respect for those types of goals as an organization..

We always like to bring up this subject, but to me the bottom line is, what kind of executive with a passion for the job your taking over, would leave it in the condition it is, without seeing it thru to some degree...

DolfanTom likes this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    How? How are we in better shape? Do we have a Quarterback? No.
    What about a competent coach?
    Is anyone on this team other than Jake Long truly elite?
    Have we accomplished anything other than a fluke season?
    Parcells accomplished nothing in Dallas and he accomplished nothing here.

8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    What leads you to believe he was even welcome once Ross took over? His job was to be the de facto owner, why would Ross want him around?

9. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think its pretty curious that the farther away Parcells has gone from the organization, the worse its gotten. They deviated from Parcells' style with signing Dansby and trading two 2nds and a monster contract for Marshall. The team has regressed since the organization took that approach.

10. The Finest

The Finest Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 3, 2011
    He made Dallas into a powerhouse when he was there, but he left them 4 or 5 yeas ago if I am not mistaken; no longer his team in my opinion.

11. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    The question you should be asking is if Wayne Huizenga didn't sell the team, would Bill Parcells still be Executive VP of Football Operations.

And if the answer to that question is yes, the next question would be if Parcells was still Executive VP of Football Operations, would we be in better shape than we are now.

I'm as disappointed as anyone with Bill Parcells, but you must give credit where credit is due. He is 1 of only 5 head coaches to take 2 different teams to the Super Bowl.

That feat alone secures his place in NFL history.

12. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The answer to your question is, NO, Parcells will never admit his failure. Just as he will never admit that the reason he took three teams to the Super Bowl was because Belichick was the defensive coordinators of those three teams. Without Belichick as his defensive coordinator, Parcells has been nothing but an average coach in the NFL.

pumpdogs likes this.
  13. Wulf

Wulf New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    Tuna left Dallas in pieces and falling. He left Miami barely better than they had been, but considering how Cam Cam had dismantled the offense, that wouldn't have taken much! And now a year later, we're looking at being as bad as we were the year he came in, despite having better players!

14. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Running with that logic, cheating is the only reason Bill Belichick won a Super Bowl. They've not won a Super Bowl since they've stopped cheating.

15. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    They went 13-3 the year after Parcells left, on the back of his players.

16. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I can agree with that. Yet I would still take Belichick over Parcells as an NFL head coach, any day of the week.

17. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Not sure I agree with that. For one, Parcells was a big fan of Dansby's and most likely was the driving force behind signing him. For Marshall, he may have been hesitant due to Brandon's issues, but not necessarily with the draft picks. Parcells was the guy who traded a 1st and 3rd for Curtis Martin and signed him to a (at the time) lucrative contract.

18. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think there were many realistic circumstances where Parcells was going to get through the entire length of his contract, and I don't think it was reasonable to expect it.

19. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Parcells was good in a bygone era. The NFL he was good at is long gone, and his last two projects didn't bear much fruit from his involvement.

20. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Parcells only took TWO teams to the Super Bowl, not three.

And "I'm" the one who doesn't know what I'm talking about.
    :pity:

21. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I knew of Parcells history...a journeymay coach, but I like many others fell for Parcells and thought that if he was in the front office and not on the sidelines, he would be with the Dolphins for years to come.

How naive I was. But I do still wonder had Parcells not left, what shape would our team be in? Somehow I have a feeling, Parcells being Parcells, he would have fired Sparano after yesterday's loss to San Diego.

A hypothetical we'll never know the answer to.

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Admitting his failure = admitting he hired the wrong people (Sparano and Ireland).

Admitting he hired the wrong people (Sparano and Ireland) = selling them down the river.

He's not going to do that. He'll accept personal responsibility wherever it doesn't involve selling out two guys that he in all likelihood respects and is friends with, but that can be tricky, and it's not going to satisfy a rabid fanbase.

Think about when he tried to suggest that it might have been a mistake to go with Jake Long over Matt Ryan. He had to retract those words almost immediately and Jeff Ireland had a fit, said that in no way does he or will he ever regret taking Jake Long at #1 overall. You don't think there was a phone call from Ireland in between there giving Parcells what-for about saying something that dangerous to Ireland's career? Don't assume that just because Parcells left he doesn't care about Jeff or Tony anymore.

He's much more likely to sell Stephen Ross down the river and it wouldn't surprise me if all these rumors about what Stephen Ross would and/or wouldn't allow Ireland to do in the off season as far as spending money and whatnot, weren't sourced from Bill Parcells.

Mile High Fin likes this.
  23. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    The answer is simple, he now works for ESPN

24. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Biggest ego maniac ever in the NFL. Of course he will never admit he was wrong or messed up. He just tucked tail and ran when he saw the writing on the wall. That was affirmation enough from him that he screwed up....and that is all we will ever get.

25. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Parcells took three teams to the Super Bowl. He took two DIFFERENT teams to the Super Bowl but he did take three teams.

So yeah, I guess you don't know what you're talking about.

26. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    He only took two different teams to the Super Bowl.

Quit being obtuse.

27. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Would have been hard to leave the team worse than he found it. It was a Brian Billick charity play call from 0-16.

He may be (deservingly) going to the Hall of Fame, but Parcells indeed failed in Miami because the group he put in place is going to be swept out of here (hell, Ross already tried once). His job was to put the structure in place for long-term success and it's been the total opposite. They got a division title in Year 1 with a little luck (Pennington), but it's been a nosedive ever since. And he didn't stick around to watch it burn.

Worse yet, the group he put together can't play at home, where they've lost 11 of their last 12 games. So they've lost crowd support and the owner appears to be closing the checkbook and laying people off.

In the end, Parcells collected his money, leaked potshots at the young QB he drafted and now sits in his chair at ESPN pointing out the team's inadequacies. Thanks a lot, Bill.

The Parcells Way succeeded in Miami the way that the Titanic succeeded in crossing the English Channel. Each picked up more passengers, then sunk tragically in more treacherous waters.

Except Capt. Edward J. Smith went down with his ship.

djphinfan likes this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If this sh&^ gets worse than it is now with Sparano bein fired mid season, then he epically failed here..and is a piece of sh%$ for not standing by it..It doesn't get much deeper than that...When Ross took over he could of easily kept up his duties, he had Ross's respect over and over, using Ross as the reason is nothin but an excuse..

29. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Nope, he never will. His ego is about the size of his manboobs. He wont admit it.

Id love to see one of the guys on ESPN talk to Parcells about it when he's on. Of course, they always conveniently miss that though...

30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Have you seen Bill Parcells speak about himself and his legacy ever?

31. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    the worst thing DAL did was hire Wade Phillips as HC, when Parcells left ....

the worst thing Parcells did in MIA was hire Fat Tony as HC ... we are still paying for that one. at least this year - it ends! to give him an extension ... BRILLIANT! to me, that single move said more about the capability of our 'head shed' than any player they have or have not drafted or signed.

32. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It would be hard to leave it worse than when he found it, but it would be quite easy for them to remain in that hole or one like it. That's the point people are missing. Go look at the Lions, or whatever team you please that has been in the hole for the better part of a decade. That's the kind of hole we were in. An average rebuilding process does not get you out of that hole.

Bill Parcells is the best in NFL History at rebuilding franchises. He's not the best at sticking them around and seeing them through, and the team he builds might not make it over the hump, but he puts you in a much better position than you started in, and you're left in a position where you can absolutely capitalize on it. He's done it more times, and more dramatically than anyone else. He's a cleaner.

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So even though the coach and GM he hired couldn't win enough and gets fired, and is 0 and 4 in their 4th year, you think he was successful because he hit on Jake Long?..I really don't see anything above average in terms of building a foundation for longterm success?..

34. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

My first instinct is to say, hey, maybe we haven't won but we certainly have better talent than when say, Saban took over...but then I think....well, that's not really saying much because Wanny left us so bereft of talent, it's taken several years to recover from anyways. You can't replace 8 yrs of bad drafting and personnel acquisition in a couple of years... I have to admit that parcells group has gotten us to a level that retooling for the next guy isn't the issue that parcells had to deal with...that said, he still failed miserably in bringing us any kind of sustained winning...

35. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    He was well above average in terms of acquisitions, and it goes beyond Jake Long. Jeff Ireland has done a good job, Tony Sparano has not. Sparano has made Parcells and Ireland's players look worse than they are.

Does Parcells take a hit because he hired Sparano? Yes absolutely. Does it make hiring Parcells a mistake? No, it doesn't. Parcells coaching tree has three different Super Bowl winners, and Parcells himself picking one to coach doesn't seem unreasonable.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    But it looks as though he picked the wrong coach Pate, Iam not sure how one can accept the job of football operations, and 4 years later the team could be headed for the #1 pick again..Talk about full circle..I mean I was willing to support their plan going into this year with the caveat being judgement time should come at the bye as to what our longterm future should be..I felt as thought that was enough time to see if the pivitol 4th year imo, would have us set up for the future competing for the playoffs..They have a chance to rebound but it looks like a failure at this point, and you gotta blame the boss who put it all in place no?

37. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think Parcells gets the blame because Ross kept his guy around too long. The right decision clearly was to fire him last season, if not because of the results of the season, after you publically undermined him by courting someone else. That is the point of no return. Sparano is clearly not the right coach, but I think there's episodes of better NFL coaches losing teams too for less reason.

38. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think Parcells stopped putting things in a place once Ross took over.

39. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    This team has cycled back to 2007 in only four short years. He was a complete and utter failure here and there's really no debate.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and you don't think that is still a copout Stringer? even if Ross wasn't going to meddle, which it didn't look like he was to me?.

So are you saying he stopped giving a sh&^ about his job because of the owner changing hands?...I still have no respect for that, and he deserves a good beatin.