1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IRENE, I say again IRENE!

Discussion in 'Announcements and Such' started by gafinfan, Aug 23, 2011.

1. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I live in Charlotte NC, people are already freaking out. Being from South Florida, I got some wine, I say bring it on haha

steveincolorado and MikeHoncho like this.
  3. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    It's been awhile since we've had a legit hurricane threat (and I don't include weak tropical storms). Anyways, I'm praying it doesn't hit.

4. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Prepare for the worst,hope for the best.Sorta like the Fins.

5. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Stay high and dry folks, best wishes!

6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yay, beachfront communities in Long Island are being evacuated. This means me unfortunately. They expect flooding to get as high as the 2nd floor in multi-story houses or apartments.

Supposed to have the Quiksilver surf tournament next week in Long Beach where I live...wonder if this will impact that at all. Gotta say I was looking forward to the tournament but parking in Long Beach is bad enough so it wouldnt be a total loss!

7. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I remember Hurricane Floyd in 1999 when it hit NY, is this one supposed to be that much worse???

8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    You might not have been alive for gloria in 1985 but yes that one was worse for south shore of long island. This was a category 3 as of this morning, dont know if it still is honestly because im sick of hearing about it. For comparison Katrina was a category 4/5. South of one of the main roads about 2 miles inland from where my parents are is probably going to be evacuated meaning im going to be 2/2 on evacuations. FML :(

9. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    did you get some bon bons to go with your wine, Peggy Bundy?

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Overrated. Media frenzy. Nothing to see here.

11. bigmac62

bigmac62 New Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Nothing too bad to report here in the Utica area, as far as I know. Around me, about a dozen trees uprooted on our neighbor's property, one tree at my uncle's property, and about 7-8 hours without power. Of course, almost everyplace from Utica east is relatively underwater. Luckily, after a hurricane (or whatever we're calling this cause it changed names about three times over the day) it's supposed to be nice for quite a few days, so everything (at least around me) should be back to normal (or as close to normal as we can get) soon.

12. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Wow the death toll has jumped to 40. It may have only been a category 1, but it struck upstate NY, Vermont, New Hampshire dead on and those buildings and towns are not built for that. NYC, LI, etc really don't have much damage. Don't forget the people who live in Upstate and New England though. I've seen pics of destroyed roads, farms and historic 1800s New England covered bridges destroyed. One of the older ones in Vermont washed away. Also a 156 year old one in NY got destroyed. Most of the problems have been further inland. Apparently the streams and lakes end up being worse than the coastal areas, they should've focused more on those inland places as well.

It may have been overrated for NYC, but not in general. Don't think NYC has to worry unless a Cat 2 or Cat 3 hits and floods the subways which would destroy them for weeks and months because of the salt. Those buildings are strong though, the new WTC has glass that can take 125 mph winds and not break.

13. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I was born and raised in Kansas. Very use to tornados and all night thunderstorms. Out here in Colorado, most people are scared to death of them.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Yeah, it's all fun and games until one of those things lifts you house and carries it god-knows-where which then lands on an unsuspecting bystander, killing hem instantly.

15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Kind of weird how it hit Vermont and NH so hard, but didn't do too much to Massachusetts.

16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I had a work trip to Richmond, VA this week and my original hotel was without power on Monday (took a while to find one with power and not sold out). Went through a couple neighborhoods and worst damage seemed to be branches in yards/roads and a couple toppled trees. A lot of people were still without power yesterday, but I'm personally flying home today so eh.

I thought when it finally hit New York and further north it was only a tropical storm too, not a hurricane any longer?

17. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

8-16 inches of rain over a 24 hour span in hilly areas is going to cause horrible flooding. I think Mass got away cleaner in part because of their topography. I expect CT to see some scary river levels in the next couple of days and even more flooding down there.

18. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    Wine is for the females, home slice.

19. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    And home slice is a term for the early 1990's.