1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senior Players Championship this past weekend

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by BicketyBam, Aug 22, 2011.

1. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Any golf fans out there? I went to the 3rd and 4th rounds of the Senior Players Championship at the Westchester Country Club this past weekend. I was given the tickets by a friend and I took my kids both days. In addition to the grounds passes, we got admission into a tent that was set up overlooking the 200+ yard par 3 16th. Free food and open bar. Very nice.

I have been to a few Tour events in the past, including the US Open when it was played at Winged Foot several years back. But I had never seen the seniors play and it was really cool seeing some of the guys I grew up watching on TV, most notably Fred Couples (who won in a playoff). I have always been a big fan of Freddie's and it was awesome to finally get to see him play in person. We followed him both days. On Saturday, he played with Corey Pavin...another guy I always liked.

The one lasting impression that I came away with is that these "old men" can still play some great golf. They might not drive the ball like the young guys, but they are still capable of playing some tremendous golf. Westchester Country Club is not an easy course. In fact, Tiger Woods refused to play it because it didn't suit his game (he never shot well there in the few times he played it). It's tight as hell, with some nasty rough and difficult greens. But for the most part, the seniors handled it well. One of the coolest shots was Pavin hitting his driver off the fairway and putting it 10 feet from the cup. Awesome shot.

Bottom line is that if you ever get a chance to watch the Champions Tour in person, and you are a fan of golf, you should go for it. It was really great to see guys like Couples, O'Meara, Pavin, Lehman, Langer, Watson, Sluman, Calcavecchia, Kite, Haas, Irwin, Price, Stadler, Faxon, Zoeller and Crenshaw. It was like an Old Timers game, except these guys can still play. :up:

TiP54 likes this.