1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Gardening, how to turn 50 dollars into 1,250

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by padre31, Aug 18, 2011.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Seems like Eshlemon and myself, one maybe two yrs ago we had a chat about a small veggie garden as a means to beat this upcoming inflation, it appears that time is not only "right now" but for the next 2 to 3 yrs.

If it helps any, in France they are called "potager":

[video=youtube;YrbTQ-ss0FI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrbTQ-ss0FI[/video]

Now I'm sure that will be scoffed at, however a properly designed garden can save a family 2k per yr:

http://gardening.about.com/od/startingavegetablegarden/qt/Money_Garden.htm

What other investment can turn 50 dollars into 1,250 or more?

For those to young to recall, Gerald Ford had the "Whip Inflation Now" program in the mid 70's when home gardening was at it's peak in the US, there really is nothing new under the sun. Had a friend from Patterson Joizy who every yr would do exactly this as a "hobby".

Have to hand it to the French, they know how to make a potato field look like an elegant setting..:lol:

Fin D and MikeHoncho like this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Question: Did anyone else upon having read the thread title think "marijuana" or "poppies"?

No? No one else?

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nah man, we growin'...Beefsteak tomatoes....:lol:

Sad but true, the economically crafty thing about doing this is the longer you do it, the more you save, money that can be used elsewhere, the dude from NJ has put 2 kids through college and has two more who will be going to college.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One of the reasons why I hit on this topic so often, among topics that basically say "ya ah gonna hav 2 du it urself" is this:

In America, if income is viewed as a bell shaped curve, on end "save your money" on the other "spend your money" the spending/growth side has held sway for 40 yrs or more now, which is why "we" have a negative savings rate, the entire system is meant for "us" to spend ever more amounts of money instead of saving it, or rather, using it more efficiently, and to my point of view times have changed for a huge segment of Americans, and to me, new approaches are needed to deal with that reality.

IMO, it boils down to crying about not making enough money, or taking steps to make sure what money you have works harder...for you and ones' family.

6. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My m8 has done this for 3 years , he has a very hilly end to his back garden and now has 6 raised beds built into it and 2 greenhouses on the top level. He grows mainly salad (tomatos, lettuce, onions etc) but in the lower bits he has potatoes and turnip/swede (however you call it but it grow great here). His neighbour grows carrots and leeks and they use some of each others produce whenever they need it.

He reckons it can same him nearly £1k per year which considering the size of the 2 gardens combined is pretty impressive. Pity im in a flat otherwise I would give it a go :)

padre31 likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    ]

Nice, in the US most of the country lives in less populated areas, or a large portion of the country does, the culture though requires such things to be called "organic gardening" as a 150k house with a veggie plot does not speak to financial success, though it it one step towards such success.

I did have an article up on this forum about in English cities there are waiting lists for community plots to grow on.

8. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    Only oregano !! ;)

9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    ...to treat glaucoma

10. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    of course!!

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    With spring approaching thought this was a good time to bump this for those who will have a garden in 2013

MikeHoncho likes this.
  12. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    something I will by trying this year. unfortunately, my one kid eats very few veggies. my older daughter eats a few, but would increase if she helped grow them.
    Going to set up one garden for my hops and one for potatoes, carrots and maybe peas.

13. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    talk about huge savings :up: not that I would know anything about it, but unless you feel like feeding rabbits, you're better off with some "gardens" inside.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We tend to grow the more expensive stuff like green peppers and herbs.

Most of the time they just are condiments for a the main dish.

15. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I like the idea. It has me thinking what I can do in my back yard..

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sure, one of the things that strikes me as odd is the US has a huge amount of airable land, but only a fraction of it is used even in small scale gardening.

I'm not saying everyone should be elbow deep in cow manure to grow a tomato, am saying it is curious that it is not more popular a past time, saves money, outdoors, not all that difficult, and yet?

For some context, in the UK one literally has to get on a list to even access local public gardens.

17. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I feel inspired to make a garden now. Thanks Padre.

18. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Another reason I want to move to Hawaii. Solar panels will bring your utility bill to zero, and you can grow practically anything. Half a mil buys 10 pristine Kuai acres.

Damn you family and friends!!!

19. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Anyone have any tips for me? An old friend that lives down the road stopped by and offered to use his tractor to start a garden for me. I didn't even mention it to him. So that was a big blessing to me. Now i am really officially starting a garden even though i know nothing about gardens. I literally don't know a thing about it. I am starting off by raking out and picking out the clumps of grass that is in my garden area after my buddy tilled it with his tractor. I also borrowed a tiller from my aunt. Please give me any advice, I would appreciate it.

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I would love to do this, but the growing season here in RI is so small.....I mean it is mid-March and we are getting 6 inches tomorrow.....

I do organic lawn care though.....and my bill is so cheap, it needs less water....stays greener longer, becomes greener sooner after winter....

speaking of which I need to call for my sewer sludge.

21. JeromeJenkins

JeromeJenkins New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    You are absolutely right..SOlar panels will cut down the bill and you will be able to grow plenty of plants