1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by VanDolPhan, Aug 7, 2011.

1. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Should be releasing at the end of November is what I am hearing. Anyone planning on playing?

I get to try it out starting Tuesday. One of the lucky 3k that have gotten in on 2 million + registrations.

And yes....I bought my collectors edition :)

TiP54 likes this.
  2. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Lucky indeed, been following it for a few years but slowed down a little lately because of football and other things. Mainly just waiting for the release date and like others I'd put my guess for November 22nd. I did preorder a CE as well after some arguing with myself. What do you plan on playing?

3. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Probably going to test as a Sith since most of my friends want to play on the other side. That way I'm not playing through a character twice.

4. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I was meaning when it goes live, so Republic then? Probably will test different classes now but did you have a class in mind beforehand? I'm playing Empire and for the longest time was set on Sith Warrior but right now I'm leaning Imperial Agent, it'll probably be one of those two and I figure Agent will be my choice.

5. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I'm really looking forward to this. I tire easily of these RPGs where you do chores (aka quests) all day long.

Kill ten wolves, kill twelve boars, kill twenty wolf spiders, etc. Level up, repeat.

WoW was beautiful, and neat, but boring if you're under level 50. And I like to play solo, so teaming up with some 13 year old is not something I look forward to after work.

Hopefully Old Republic improves upon this, and then some. The hype is over the top right now.

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I have been waiting for this game for too long. I hope it is really polished when it comes out

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I pre-ordered this weekend, although doesn't look like I get to play early. definitely looking forward to this one.
    I have been playing DC Universe for months, good game, but I'm getting bored now.

8. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yeah I've been following it for a while know, can't wait for it to come out. Grats on the beta invite. I'm pretty sure I won't get one lol cause my comp sucks arse, and was waiting till around release to build a new one. Didn't want to build it now and it get delayed till next year. Have fun playing lucky bastard!!! Lol

9. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'm probably going Smuggler in retail. They apparently have the best lines since they wise asses.

10. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    That's cool. I'm trying to balance my preferred play style in a class with the lore and story of the class. Being a Hunter for years in WoW (after originally having a Warrior main) I'm used to and enjoy the physical ranged DPS role. So there's that with the Imperial Agent and their story seems it could be interesting, can role play it in a number of ways. Hoping for more than just Human and Chiss for species though.

Hopefully so. I love story and having the ability to make decisions, lets you actually get something out of the RP in MMORPG. Really enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age: Origins so have faith in Bioware and I'm a big Star Wars fan so best of both worlds. I feel confident that I'll hit cap at least once just because of how the game is setup with the story and all, it's just endgame where I'm not sure.

Dupree I will track you across the galaxy and get revenge, unless of course you play Empire, then I'll just have to ninja loot some item you wanted. :tongue2:

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I read that in the conversation tree for Inquisitor that sometimes there will be a selection, "Shock him with lightning." It was that moment where I knew I was going to be a Sith.

I am one of the few people who wish that Bioware had the balls to make the Sith Sorcerer not use a light saber and look down on them for being Jedi Toys.

12. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    ha That's awesome, things like that tempt me to play a Sith Warrior but Agents will have their evil opportunities as well. Not having a lightsaber would cause too much of an uproar, but from what I've seen they seem to be a decoration more than anything, much like most Mage class weapons in other games.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Yea, and some people complain about that.

I think it would make the class less popular. Which is good because it is the most popular last I checked.

14. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Probably go trooper...I'm sure the rebel side will have the weaker pvp crowd but that just makes winning all the more sweeter.

15. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    We should all try for the same server.

16. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well you have a force user which makes it jump ahead of the Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent, then it has the Rogue/Priest/Mage roles so no surprise there.

If I was Republic I'd probably go Trooper but I tend to like being on the evil side and always been a fan of the Sith/Galatic Empire in the SW universe. In any other game I could sacrifice my preferred faction for friends or other things, with TOR I just have too much interest and love for the Imperial faction. That and you actually will have the option of being manipulative and evil in this game with the choice system, not "do the quest or don't do it" option.

17. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    Sounds like a blast...bounty hunter seems to be the empire equivalent and also looks pretty interesting.

18. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Well so far it plays like a cross between the usual mass effect/kotor style that bioware does and an MMO. The voice acting/flashpoints are top notch but it doesn't really come up with any new tricks in the mmo part of the game. I'm enjoying the heck out of it mind you. Crafting is very bountiful in the game with some 15/16 different profession skills and companions do help change things up from your typical mmo. PvP is VERY underwhelming right now...will see how it goes once they flesh it out...right now it's much like Warhammer Online's. You queue up and then join from whereever you are.

The mechanics don't feel as tight as they could be...at least in the early levels. ie: tanks, dps, healers etc since everyone is basically a hybrid of styles. A lot of it feels like it's on easy mode and could use a tweaking to make it about 50% tougher and still be fine.

It's enough though that I got my CE ordered. I'd give it a 8.9/10. If they polish up some things like pvp and just the overall polish it could get to a 9.1 maybe 9.2.

Starry31 likes this.
  19. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    thanks for the update...keep us posted ;).

20. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    [video=youtube;LntNjc-3ahQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LntNjc-3ahQ[/video]

For those of us who have always dreamt of combining football/rugby with Lightsabers, BioWare has given us the new PvP warzone: Huttball.
    This was announced at a convention in Germany, so the announcer in the game is obviously not speaking english. Seems pretty cool though,can see people making fake leagues to compete in.

21. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    The problem so far in Huttball is that people aren't paying attention to the objective and treat it like deathmatch. To score you have to go through the ramps/traps...but folks will just follow guys off the ramps to the bottom just to get the kill. Even though it means you have to travel to the sides, then up the sides back to the middle and then back up the ramps...effectively taking you outta the defense.

Also, unlike that video...no one passes the damn ball. Too many times they grab the ball after a kill and huddle with the team expecting the team to push it forward. It doesn't work that way.

Best way to play huttball is to control the spawn and your ramps. Then send 2-3 guys max with your ball carrier and make sure the guy carrying the ball has 'force speed' (2 seconds of 150% speed...great for busting through the line every 20 secs).

22. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
  23. Dannyg28

Jan 4, 2008
    To be fair the people playing it at gamescon are people who probably have had very little time actually playing SWTOR. I expect once the game is released and people have time to learn the ropes of the game, it will be played as it should.

24. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'm taking about people playing it right now ;p I'm in the best test. Been at it for weeks and people just don't get it.

25. Dannyg28

Jan 4, 2008
    oh, well, in that case, I hate you.

26. Dannyg28

Jan 4, 2008
    For those of you who were wondering whether or not Revan from KOTOR 1 would be in this game, well, heres a video that pretty much confirms him being in the game. Video does have some spoilery bits to it, if you don't want any of the story ruined for you.

[video=youtube;4_F_009Wk14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_F_009Wk14&feature=related[/video]

27. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Just finally got onto the beta test this weekend (I think there's only one more after this one). Tried three classes, Jedi knight, with warrior and smuggler. All three were fun, but so far, I am liking the smuggler a little more.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    This game is fun

29. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Huttball is by far my least favorite for all the reasons that you mentioned. I really enjoy'd the civil war one was lots of fun. The voidstar warzone was very buggy this last weekend, but it has alot of potential, i think i could end up being my favorite by far. I'm looking forward to early access that starts 2 weeks from today, can't wait to not have to relevel toons lol.

30. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm really going back and forth with too many good games for the first time ever. Between KOTR, Skyrim, Uncharted 3 and Batman Arkham city coming soon, I can't find enough time to play these games. I was looking forward to gaming out on my 2 week Xmas break, but now my boss is giving me a big science book to edit.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I was playing over the open beta weekend. At one point I looked at a clock and was surprised that four hours have past.

Probably the most fun I have ever had in a MMO.

32. Dannyg28

Jan 4, 2008
    Ya, for the first time ever while playing an MMO, I was actually looking forward to what happens next in the story of a questline.

33. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    [video=youtube;2szTEHgqZXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2szTEHgqZXY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

This is hilarious

vt_dolfan likes this.
  34. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Well, I stopped playing Skyrim and now full time on KOTR. haven't even open my uncharted 3 game yet.

Up to level 10 jedi knight this morning.

35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    15 level Sith Inquisitor. I am loving it.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  36. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Got an Agent to 19 in closed beta, that was my first choice but also wanted to try a Warrior before deciding on a main. Never got time to play Warrior in beta so first thing I did was level one real quick, then decided on Agent and spent a few hours trying different species and looks. Now working on my main, Zabrak Sniper, and up to 12. Really enjoying myself but I'm really eager to get past where I got in beta to see new story.

What server is everyone playing on? I'm on Vulkar Highway.

37. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    last night was disappointing. with the whole world logging in, couldn't get to my main character. my 2nd character - smuggler - couldn't open a conversation to get a mission started. and the lag sucked. my smuggler bent down behind the rock and from then on, even when moving elsewhere, he was stuck in the crouching position.

38. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Got my bounty hunter up to 35, loving the game, guild already has 7 lvl 50's.

39. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    What's the cap?

40. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    The cap is 50