1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YAHOO SPORTS: "Questions surround Dolphins’ offensive line"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Aug 6, 2011.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    DAVIE, Fla. (AP)—A little more than a week into training camp, the Miami Dolphins’ offensive line is riddled with question marks. Pro Bowl left tackle Jake Long(notes) has yet to practice because he’s on the physically unable to perform list. Vernon Carey(notes) has been moved to right guard after starting all of last season at right tackle. Veteran right tackle Ray Willis(notes) was signed Saturday, a few days after former Dallas starter Marc Colombo(notes) came aboard. In the middle of the line and the middle of all the uncertainty is Mike Pouncey(notes).

More here => http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-dolphinscamp

Enjoy
    -cobrajet

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I wouldn't say there are many questions at all. You can pencil in Carey at RG, Colombo at RT, and ink in Pouncey at C and Incognito at LG.

The only real unknowns at this point is whether John Jerry is a complete bust, and whether or not Jake Long will be ready to go for the season opener.

siciliansith and padre31 like this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Jake will be ready.

4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Every injured football player says they'll either be ready to go by training camp or week 1. It's a cliche. So Long may very well be ready in time, but for now it's still an unknown.

I'm being generous with the unknowns here.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Bingo, the only question I'd add is whether or not they sign a Vet Rb to back up Thomas, or if they just go with Hilliard or Sheets or Grigsby.

6. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I'm telling you right now that Colombo at RT is a huge mistake.
    They have taken an approach here that I feel will really bite them in the arse.
    Carey should have been left at RT and a Guard should have been pursued.
    They weakened the RT spot to fix the RG spot. That still leaves a weak spot on the right side. Nothing has been accomplished.

This is being handled just as backwards arsed as the RB position..... just my 2 cents.

DolfanJake and MrClean like this.
  7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm not ready to say they weakened RT. Colombo had a bad 2010, but he was injured. He can still play well, and he's fully healthy as far as we know.

I was banging the drum hard for Marshal Yanda (he can play RG and RT at a Pro Bowl level) but I'm not dissatisfied with a right side of Carey-Colombo. We'll see if it backfires, but I'm not going to criticize Ireland for going that route.

Alex13 likes this.
  8. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    The only thing I can offer is that I hope you are completely correct but to me I have huge doubts.
    This situation and the RB situation has really left me questioning these guys.

9. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Until Nate Garner gets injured I'm not worried...

10. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Hopefully they fix the line this year, considering its been their main focus for 4 years now its kind of sad that there are major questions and positions up in the air at this point.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    RT's are a dime o dozen CR, heck we could kick the tires on Jared Gaither if we had to do so, they just signed Willis and if he outplays Colombo would not surprise me a bit to see him given his walking papers and those two still have to compete with Garner and Murtha.

To me, that is the best situation our line has been in since Smiley and Grove we still healthy in 09.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I can understand doubting the OL moves on the right side, because this regime doesn't have a great track record at that area. Totally understandable. I'm just saying that, on paper, the Carey-Colombo pairing doesn't look too bad. It certainly appears to be better than a Jerry-Carey pairing, which is what we were headed for. If the basic idea was to make sure that we were fielding our five best linemen, then Carey is certainly better than Jerry, McQuistan, etc., while Colombo is certainly better than Murtha.

As for RB… meh. Fungible position. Would have been nice to snag Michael Bush if he had been a free agent, but considering that you can stick almost anyone out there and get 4 YPC out of him with even sub-par blocking, the current lineup back there is not a big deal. I do think we're susceptible to injury at RB, but again, the position is fungible. Sign a guy off the street and let him get his 4 yards and a cloud of dust.

13. Dee

Dee New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    If Colombo doesn't work out, we still have viable options in Murtha, Garner, or just moving Carey back there. It's not like we're Columbo or bust. If Vernon performs better at RG and Pouncey plays to his potential, we'll have strengthened the interior OL, which will be very important for us to re-establish the ground game.

My main concern for the OL is Jake Long's health. As long as he's good to go for the start of the season, I won't lose sleep over it.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    ''Were gonna shift guys in and out until we find the right mix, once we do we'll stick with them, but were not there yet, this is what practice is for right now.''

Marty Mornhinweg quote..

Everybody does it..

Stringer Bell likes this.
  15. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    My biggest fear is that the reason we signed both Colombo and Willis is because the FO knows that Long won't be ready to start the season.
    On a silver lining note, Long being down for a long stretch of the season could be our ticket to Andrew Luck.
    Of course, with this franchises recent luck (no pun intended), we'll finish 3-13, get the first overall pick and Luck will suffer a Theismann-esque injury in the Rose Bowl.

DolfanJake likes this.
  16. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    when all are 100% ready, the only questions will be the starting guard positions.
    We have our BookEnds & Center. (Long____POUNCEY____Carey)
    the real challenge & competition will arise @ either Guard, the rotation & backups.

don't see anything complicated in putting this offensive line together.
    potentially, any linesmen can play guard, with minor adjustments...
    just have to find the best athlete with a desire to adapt & win the start.

let them compete. should be entertaining. Tony knows the offensive line

17. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I don't know if I'd be using Mornhinweg as a source regarding how to be a head coach. This is the same guy who won the coin toss in overtime and gave the ball to the other team.

Pandarilla likes this.
  18. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Or just not declare for the draft.

19. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Murtha seems like he's legitimately holding up well enough at LT that he could be a solid starting option at RT if Colombo doesn't work out.

djphinfan likes this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Murtha is a player I've kept an eye on from a distance and his issue is the same as Garner's, he hasn't been able to stay healthy otherwise he has enough tools to play either side imo.

(I believe in 09 he had a ankle or foot problem, in 10 I think he had a concussion)

21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I've had my eye on him since Detroit drafted him.
    Murtha has excellent hands & is very quick for a big man.
    Had some play @ TE, prior to filling the tackle slot. the guy is really versatile.
    could be used as a blocking TE or H-Back in certain situations
    as well as seriously compete with Carey for the start.

djphinfan likes this.
  22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

'
    I agree Padre. The line is set, it just hasn't been announced yet. Injury obviously could affect that as well. My question is a bit off topic, but aren't Sheets, Grigsby and Bush just about the same type of back ?? Sheets may be a bit faster, but none of those guys are really 3 down backs...Hilliard is an enigma...just can't figure him out. He has a very good TC last year, but when he gets into games, he disappears...But he's not a scat back like the others...

23. Larryfinfan

Yeah, well unless Sparano starts tinkering with Pouncey...And any lineman can't play guard. Long would have a tough time inside. That is what they may have figured out about Murtha as well. And the fact that the OL is STILL being tinkered with and talked about kinda contradicts your statement about Tony and the OL...

24. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007
    Ray willis will fit if Colombo doesnt perform

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, we just have to wait and see about B/S/G, Sheets is the largest of them at 208, but has little in game experience blocking, and all 3 are injury prone at one time or another, but all 3 offer home run hitting threats.

As for Lexxy, I suspect he will flourish in Daboll's system as he is a good all around back with size and enough giddyup to reach the perimeter of the Defense on toss sweeps and what have you.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  26. Larryfinfan

That may be true, I hadn't thought about Lex in Daboll's offense...he's similar to Hillis in size and speed...It should be interesting to see unfold....in the back of my measly mind, I still think they look for a Brown or Williams type to fill in as the #3 back...if nothing more, because of Sparano's preferences...

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol..he did?, what a dumass..

however, I agreed with Him on the carey decision, and have made that known, I also thought we needed better depth, so I understand bringing in players like Irish has, and from what I hear from Sparano and how he views this preseason, I'am confident that he understands the sense of urgency.

Con?, wouldn't it be better for us to have Carey at left guard and Rich at right?

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I have to believe they will look for a goaline back, unless they plan on using Big Lou Polite for that duty but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense as who would then be the lead blocker?

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    DPate?, off hand do you know what games he got the start in last season?

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He came into the Bears game late for VC, and started the next 4 games in a row, then he had a concussion and missed the last two games, so Oakland, Cleveland, Jets and Bills.

Then McQuistan stepped in at RT.

djphinfan likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Thanks bud.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    No problem Bro, as I said he is a player I've tried to keep an eye on as his athleticism is outstanding.

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sounds like he had a good game today...I think I'am gonna watch some rewind action on him in those games you mention, I like the way he's built.

34. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'd be fine with either Murtha or Ray Willis at RT. Carey wasn't lighting the world on fire past about week 5 in pass protection. Murtha was fine outside of missing assignments. Willis is healthy is a solid starting RT. Colombo though is another story.

Murtha has the potential to become more though.

35. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Actually Murtha came in for VC in the Bears game then he played next week against Oakland but was not the starter. The next week he was a starter against Cleveland, then against the Jets away, then home against Buffalo and then Detroit. In the Detroit game he suffered a concussion and did not play against NE which was an away game. Murtha has certainly always had the size but it appears he lacks big time in the desire dept. Just my opinion of the young man. If anyone wants to be call someone a robot, then that someone is Lydon Murtha. Emotionless is all I can think of. Completes or attempts to complete his block and then just stands there watching the world go by. Who knows, maybe this is his year to have the light come on. I am interested to see what we have in both Willis and this DJ Jones rookie kid.

36. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Kid always appeared to have potential but has done little to progress. Sure we can say he has maybe not gotten the reps but to get the reps you have to do something to catch the coaches eye. I am sure the postion coaches watch each play from practice many times. If a guy is not doing anything to stand out then he gets less reps. I hope the kid wakes up too and realizes its time to get his rear end in gear. Could make some good money instead of signing tender after tender for a year.

37. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think we could see the guards flip flopped and Carey end up at LG and Incognito at RG. Neither one is the best pulling, but I'd like Carey doing so better of the two. Also would prefer Carey at LG in pass protection. I think you want your better pass blocking G on the left side and IMO that is also Carey. Richie can do what he does best at RG, muscle and maul as an inline run blocker.

38. MrClean

People seem to overlook that little factoid. He does not have to enter the 2012 draft and with the rookie cap, may not be in an itching hurry if he does not like the team that is picking #1.

If some forum members are to be believed, Miami is the worst possible destination for a free agent, so maybe that will carry over to rookies in the draft. ;)

39. MrClean

Solid pass blocking RTs are definitely NOT any dime a dozen, or o dozen, (if one hails from the Emerald Isle)

40. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I agree on Carey-Incognito. Carey-Long have played well together in that jumbo package. I imagine they could do the same at LT-LG. Health willing Henne should enjoy having that combo to turn to on his left. It's too bad we don't have a quality RT because if we did I would be really excited about this line. Incognito is a good bet at RG.

Solid pass blocking RTs are actually very hard to find. No position on the offensive line is a given.