1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The prayers of the many vs. the prayers of the few (or the one)

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by DrAstroZoom, Aug 5, 2011.

1. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Hi everyone!

Mrs. Z. and I have been having an ongoing discussion: we both grew up in a church, and ever since then, we've heard of prayer chains and requests for the body to pray. I always inferred that indicated a belief that if a lot of people pray for a certain need, that need was more likely to be met favorably. And when a need is met after the body prays, it's chalked up to the power of prayer.

My problem is that, logically, it would seem if that were true, the opposite would be true. And I have a hard time believing God would be less likely to answer the prayer of one soul in need than he would a prayer sent up by scores of believers all around the world.

Anyone else ever ponder this?

2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

It is a topic worth pondering. I am not sure the primise is correct. Do people believe that more prayer equals better results? I am sure many do. It is from the "If all of you clap real loud, Tinker Bell will live", school of prayer. But I believe, you are correct, God does not look for volume in order to grant a request.

For me prayer chains are about bearing one another's burdens and/or support of the individual by the body, not simply a piling on to get something done.

Hope you guys are well. I am moving soon and will be less available for awhile.

DrAstroZoom and texanphinatic like this.
  3. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I wanted to bump this and see if anyone else had thoughts on the issue. Thanks!

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I find a human pyramid of simultaneous prayer works the best. Takes some work but it's worth it, depending on what you ask for of course.

5. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    There is power in unity. Even if motives are bad. Like the tower of Babel in the Bible. God said something like "if one people speaking the same language have done this than nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them" I usually paraphrase scripture but I have a good memory. That verse decribes the power of unity. The difference between a light and a lazer it the united focused attention.
    The bible also talks about the power of unity in prayer like "if 2 people gather together agreeing about anything it will be done in my name"
    The bible also says "the prayers of a righteous man availaeth much"
    Both prayers of a single person and group prayers are answered. But I think the bible is very evident about the power of unity being stronger. I believe its that way for a reason simply because God intends for everyone to be united.

6. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    But the Bible also says something to the effect that prayer is deeply personal and shouldn't be on display.

7. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Depends on the motive. I believe you are referring to Jesus criticizing the Pharisee's that prayed to be seen like they were elevating themselves to be thought of as more spiritual. They were praying with the wrong motives. In the same passage Jesus told his followeres that when you pray to go into your room and pray and you Heavenly Father will see you and reward you as opposed to the Pharisee who prayed just to be seen and therefore recieved their reward as praise from men instead of being rewarded by God.
    The bible also says (might be in the same passage) that when you pray you shouldn't babel on like the pagans do that think they are heard because of their many prayers.
    But then the bible also tells us to pray without cease.
    The only logical conclussion IMO is its all about the motives.

Ohiophinphan likes this.