1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yahoo Sports News Article: "NOTES, QUOTES"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Aquafin and Sceeto like this.
  2. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    What did Ireland say about Gibril Wilson right before cutting him?

Hurricane, Nappy Roots and cobrajet like this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thanks CJ, there is such a dirth of solid news atm that synopsis are all we really have to read right now.

cobrajet likes this.
  4. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    That is a very good point. Sometimes in order to cloak his real intentions Ireland speaks with a fork tongue. I just can't wait to see who we get in FA.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    told you so... :yes:
    lot of rubber left to burn
    if the offensive line can get a push in the trench

6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

One thing I admire the Patriots is they cut ties with vets and bring in good rooks. They gave up Richard Seymour with something still left in the tank (3 years or so) to pick up 9-10 years of playing. I think we probably should cut ties. I don't want a guy who ran for 1,000 yards. I want a guy who will do it for the next 10 years.

7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    As long as Ricky and Ronnie think that ,it puts Ireland in a better bargaining position .:yes:

cobrajet and Conuficus like this.
  8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we have other more pressing needs:
    1) quality competition @ QB for 2011
    2) competitively reinforcing the offensive line
    3) the safety position could be upgraded

if the price is right we keep @ least one, maybe both RB's

Aquafin likes this.
  9. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thats doubtful. We are changing the blocking scheme somewhat upfront and realistically that favors Ricky more than Ronnie. Thomas has experience in the WC and is a better throwing option than Ronnie will ever be, as he is a former QB.

I don't think we're bringing back both of these guys.

GMJohnson likes this.
  10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Nothing that would make cutting him later a lie. That was one of those statements that got interpreted one way by the fans that could have meant more than one thing. The same could be said about the above statement. All it says that Ireland wouldn't say that. It doesn't mean he isn't planning to do just that. IMO he sees Brown first and then RW as back up plans in case the four or five other FA running backs higher on his list can't be acquired. Neither Brown or RW are likely to return, but who knows how free agency is going to work out. With teams reportedly forced to spend closer to the cap it's easy to foresee bidding wars on many FAs. I would guess that Ireland would rather not over pay for any of the backs on his list. Parcells has always viewed backs as fungible so I expect that Ireland's views are similar in that respect. My guess is that he would rather bring back Brown (at least maybe RW too) for a more modest contract than over pay for any back. If that is what he believes than there's no way he would say that Brown's and RW's career here are over before he secures a replacement. Even then he shouldn't say it just b/c who knows what the future holds. Many of the other backs at the top of the FA rb list do have extensive injury histories so shutting the door on bringing anybody back would be foolish.

GMJohnson and MrClean like this.
  11. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I would prefer bringing back Ricky over Ronnie, easily. For one simple reason: he's a better running back. Ricky can't throw worth a lick, but iirc both Thomas and Clay can do that. And as to synergy, Thomas' stryle seems far more similar to Ronnie, ie a tough, bruising runner without all that much juke. Ergo a natural replacement, DT for Ronnie.

I think that Ricky has been misused for quite some time now- Wanny tried to bludgeon him to death, and in my opinion Saban and Parcells didn't use him enough. I think that he still has something left to give and would pair up well with Thomas, and with Clay. Ricky is a powerful, shifty runner who can run people over and still make them miss- the latter isn't in Ronnie's skill set, I think that it's time for him to go. Some will argue that Ricky no longer has it- I obvioulsy disagree, and hopefully we'll find out the truth about that this year- assuming of course there is a season.

That being said, I'm still very interested in Deangelo Williams depending on his contract staus and availability. No picks traded, straight FA.

12. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    They're keeping their options open, little more.

cobrajet likes this.
  13. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    You could argue missing Richard Seymour this past year really hurt that defense. It remains to be seen if the players they got in return will make that loss worth it. As with many things, sometimes a move works, sometimes it doesn't.

14. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I think they are keeping their options open and possibly 'playing' the players mentioned to gain better bargaining positions as we head into FA. With all of that said, I think the Ricky / Ronnie decision has as much to do with our new Offensive Coordinator's scheme as it does the availability in the FA market. I am just awfully glad that someone else is making those big decisions and not me. It must be a gut wrenching situation. But hey man - that's why they make the big bucks! :pointlol:

15. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

We are going to sign Trung Canidate to complement Thomas.

Sorry R&R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.