1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM Jeff Ireland says there’s good depth at QB in NFL Draft (with video)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Apr 21, 2011.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...nd-says-theres-good-depth-at-qb-in-nfl-draft/

“I like the players that are in this draft, there’s good depth there,” Ireland said in his lone session with the media prior to the start of the draft next Thursday. “I don’t have a crystal ball about what players are going to be in this league, there’s a lot that goes into that.

“It’s a good group. There’s starters to be had.”

While it’s widely assumed Auburn’s Cam Newton and Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert will be gone by the time the Dolphins pick at No. 15, one intriguing candidate is Arkansas’ Ryan Mallett. Ireland admitted he’s undergone a thorough evaluation of the strong-armed prospect.

“I have spent a lot of time with him, I won’t deny that,” he said. “I’ve gone there to visit with him, he’s come here to visit with me. We’ve been very thorough in that process … He’s a nice young man. Very talented. Got a bright future.”

cobrajet likes this.
  2. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's a trade down. It's a definite trade down perhaps even out of the first round entirely. TP is going to have a baby.

Pandarilla likes this.
  3. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Doesn`t Ireland know we already have a quality QB. :glare:

4. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    At this point I think Pennington's injuries are too much and he should call it quits.

cobrajet and RGF like this.
  5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He mentions a trade down too though. Hmm... you can read it a bunch of ways but if you really think about it, what would make the most sense would be a scenario where Miami adds just a splurge of offensive talent:

1----> Late first and second------> second, second, third.

2- RB (Leshoure)
    2- TE (Williams)
    3- RB (Jones)
    3- WR (Gates)
    4- QB (Stanzi)

With a free agent guard filling in at LG.

Pandarilla likes this.
  6. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    If we draft a QB, it better be in the 5th round or later. If we take one in the 4th round, I won't be too mad...but if we take one any higher than that, I will be unhappy.

That would be a nice scenario. I could see all of those guys (except Stanzi) making some sort of impact on this team. Although, I'd rather go with Ryan Williams in the 2nd instead of LeShoure and there is no way I'd take DJ Williams or any TE in the 2nd. I think he'll be available with our 4th, but if he isn't, then Green or Thomas should be.

btw, I wouldn't mind Stanzi in the 4th. I think he could create a nice competition for the 2nd QB spot (Pigpen, Stanzi, and Brandstater) and if Henne fails next season, then he could maybe compete for a starting job. I don't think he has much potential, but he's not a bad prospect.

7. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I dont' trust anything GM IReland says publicly.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He didn't mention Ponder the guy many of us would say is the best fit for a Sparano offense. Made sure to mention a trade down, the defensive prospects don't add up if Aldon Smith is gone, mentioned Mallet, Locker does not fit the bill. They really liked Penny. Chances are they're seriously looking at mobile, young Penny.

9. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Could be. Jeff also stressed getting players that could contribute quickly. Outside of Ryan Mallett, Christian Ponder is the quarterback who is most ready to play now. The learning curve is not going to be that steep for him. If Miami is going to run a quick passing game similar to what the Patriots run, then Christian Ponder is probably the best fit.

SICK likes this.
  10. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think Henne could be effective in that too however. He just can't run the overwhelming amount of play action that system entails. His PA sucks and his short passing isn't that accurate. It's in the 15-20 and maybe even his 20-25 where he makes some nice throws.