1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realistic Draft Help in 2011

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    We have six picks, and no second rounder, to start. If we are lucky, we could get two players to help this year's team in the first and third rounds.

IF we are able to trade down, we got three shots at help. IF we take a QB, we are down to one or two, and no QB, in THIS year's draft is gonna help.

Will this year's draft be meaningless to "this year's team?"

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Most likely it will be at QB, but it could be meaningful at RB and OL as those positions often have immediate impact. It might also at TE. I believe TEs have immediate impact less often, but do at least occasionally. And really we don't need a receiving TE to catch a ton of passes. We just need them to do enough to keep the safeties back a bit.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Hopefully they can get a back who is capable of breaking big gains

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Ingram makes a difference. A TE in the third should make a difference. Not sure of an OL.

Bottom line, can't wait for FA.

5. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i'm at the point where there are only 2 ways to see improvement THIS year with this draft:

Whether we stay @ 15 or find a partner to trade down - we either draft a RB (Ingram) or OL (namely Pouncey or Watkins) ... in RD3 we can draft a RB/TE/WR depending on which way we go in RD1, but an OL in RD3 hasn't really worked out for us - and we need a solution, not a project.

If we go RB in RD1, then we MUST be able to find a solution at G during FA ... and can go TE/WR in RD3. WR in either case can not be a project - he MUST be able to contribute on STs immediately.

I still believe that we'll find a trading partner and trade down, and as long as we pick in front of PITT, we'll likely get either Pouncey or Watkins .... even if we can't recoup a 2d RD pick, we can use the 2 X 3d RD picks on QB/TE/WR ...

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Did you mean to say "will not be" regarding QB.

Agree about the Oline and RB being big contributors, and TE at least helping out here and there. If we take a WR, I think he'll have the same 1st year impact as the TE, unless he returns punts and takes 1 to the house in a game winner.

I firmly believe we're drafting a nickel corner b/c we're looking hard at a similar mold of player in the 3-4th round. I hope it's Buster Skrine who can return punts.

Outside of that, they could surprise us with a 3rd-4th round ILB like Mason Foster or Nate Irving who could see some snaps, and we could end up having to take a pass rusher in the 1st (due to circumstance) who could see some reps and maybe 4-7 sacks. Part of me would like to see Bowers fall to 15. I'm sure Nolan could figure out a way to let him impact.

If we're looking at a 6'2 290 lb DT to play fullback (and the Packers are looking at him for such role), then I'm inclined to think that FB is on our want list.

Some people think that because we're looking at so many QBs, it means we badly want to take one, where as I believe it could mean that we're not sold on ANY of them yet, hence spreading our time out on a large number of prospects.

I said in another thread, but this one is more relevant, so I'll duplicate myself-----> based on who we've been looking at and the rounds these guys are projected in, I think our first 4 picks (excluding trading back or a value player falling in our lap) will be RB, LG, TE, and CB in no particular order (with QB, OLB, ILB, FS, and WR probably falling into the "value player" category like a DaQuan Bowers, Greg Little, Titus Young, Gates, Dalton, Chris Carter, or Stanzi; adding Baldwin, Jernigan, Ponder, Kaepernick, Rahim Moore or one of the 1st-2nd round LBs to the list if we trade back).

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm not biased to how we do it as long we add an impact player at RB, TE, Oline (LG preferred), and WR. IMO we could easily accomplish this via the draft and FA.

If we're entertaining the idea of taking Ingram with our 1st pick, I'd prefer to get 2 backs for the price of one and trade back and take both Mikel Leshoure AND Taiwan Jones----- potential franchise caliber #1 back & elite COP back from 1 pick. Then you can take your LG/future RT in James Carpenter, a playmaking #2 TE like Virgil Green (Aaron Hernandez type), and then grab Mike Sims Walker in FA to bolster the WR position. Lastly, we pick up a small school RT project (David Mims) who's dripping with upside to groom behind Carey.

Either that our you could grab WR Greg Little in the draft and spend the money on stud guard, Harvey Dahl, in FA. Either way, we'd have 5 serious upgrades IMO.

RB: LeShoure, Taiwan Jones, Lex, Sheets
    WR: Marshall, Little, Hartline, Bess, Moore
    TE: Fasano, Green, Shuler
    Oline: Long-Dahl-Cognito-Jerry-Carey (Berger and Garner as solid reserves)

The offense would be set for years outside of QB if Henne doesnt develop; however, in an offense like this, I'd have trouble believing he couldn't (which would allow us to spend the entire 2012 draft on defense).

IMO this would be similar to if we drafted last year: Jahvid Best, LeGarrette Blount, Dez Bryant (without the current concerns), and Aaron Hernandez.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I was answering the last question in the thread starter's post which was; "Will this year's draft be meaningless to "this year's team?" So I meant to say QB as I did.

As for your positions we'll target in the first four rounds, I agree on all but CB. I think C, QB, another RB or several other positions will be targeted before CB.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I can't see a CB either. With Allen back to play nickel, and Carroll showing some potential, it's not high on my shopping list. For me RB is the most important position to fill in this draft. Some want D. Williams in FA but he will be 28, has been tagged by the Panthers, was not impressive before injury, and is looking for his last big contract. There are a few others in FA but, I have to go with the draft. I have the same feelings on a 2nd TE.

IF there was not a lot of talent in the interior OL in FA, I may agree on drafting one. IF there was a potentially great QB, I would agree on drafting him. That is not the case. So, I am shopping fr the best RB/TE combo we can get.

10. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Don't we have 8 picks? Thought we had 3 7th rounders .

11. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    My mistake. We did get a comp pick and had another 7th rounder from the Jags at #15.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    you might think that, however we're looking strongly at CBs who project between the 3rd-5th round. Ireland might have realized the error of our ways when we were forced to start 2 rookie corners in 2009. It can be a smart move to draft one with some nice upside now and give him a year to develop before throwing him to the wolves, b/c it's obvious that CB (specifically slot) will be a need in the near future.

13. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    That was a point CK made in another thread too. We are good in general at CB, but at the slot spot we still are looking at Benny Sapp, who really could stand to be upgraded. With so many low round choices, I would not at all be surprised if we look to a slot specific CB, as well as maybe a future RT and some G depth. We can use the 1-3-4 to look at QB, RB, TE, WR, G to start with.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree.... and I think we'll see a corner drafted in the 5th again. Ireland seems to like that round for overlooked DBs with some potential. lol.

I like the idea of a project future RT late in the draft too. That's smart drafting IMO.

15. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That first round pick is likely to come at a one of the premium positions we've constantly been mentioning over the years. QB and DE are the only ones that would satisfy the bill. Wild guess they take a risk and trade down to around 20-21 and take Mallet.