1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    all hail the hypno-toad.

I remember that, "Dan Marino, Bernie Kosar and Dan McGwire," the worst quarterback relay team in the history of the NFL.

ckparrothead likes this.
  3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    With a few years seasoning, I think he can be a solid QB. Unfortunately he'll never get that kind of time in Miami.

4. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    You guys are making me feel a lot better about this draft. Great work as always.

Boomer and ckparrothead like this.
  5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I just read this for the first time:

Talk about objective:lol:

6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Lies. Damn lies and statistics.

Boomer likes this.
  7. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I want him.

Another big thing to note is the fact that even on those deep passes the ball is out of his hand in 3 seconds or less. He is great at identifying where to throw the ball and because of his amazing arm strength he can lead recievers a lot allowing them to gain even more yards. He is willing to take calculated risks, such as one on ones.

The more I think about it the more I think all this Ckep, Ponder and other later round QBs the Dolphins seem to be interested in are smokescreens of sorts to not telegraph that we want Mallet.

8. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I love how you address how he feels where the pressure is coming from. That is a vastly underlooked skill in a QB, and in my opinion you either have it or you don't. If you have it like Mallett you can develop it even further. This like you said dramatically reduces the fact that he is so unathletic.

9. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    So far, so good.
    Don't want to be "that guy" but..."Michael Oher. Lemming grills between 1,500 and 2,00 high school juniors everyyear to" I'm assuming it's 2000 lol

10. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Great read, I can't remember reading if you guy's mentioned his supporting cast. Do they hurt or help him? Does he make them better?

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You know it's not actually all that uncommon for decent players to sort of "grow up" in the same offense together. The presence of one doesn't necessarily diminish the chances that the others are good as well.

12. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    A really good review on Ryan Mallet. Excellent even, probably your best one. Heck let's fling the ball. At least it'll get some fans back and take advantage of passing rules.

13. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If we get Mallet, we better be able to protect him.

14. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I don't think he has any less pocket presence than Henne and if you have the right line put together you'll be fine. Miami isn't far from that if Carey is healthy. Health willing:

LT- Long
    LG- Garner
    C- Incognito
    RG- Jerry
    RT- Carey

Could do the job with some improved depth.

15. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

What are you guys' take on Mallett's decision making? Watching the second half of that Alabama Arkansas game was just dreadful. He's not Stephen Garcia dumb, but the guy does seem, at least to me in my limited viewing, to have an issue sometimes with making the right decision.

16. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think he's shown enough that you can overlook that. Marino's senior year was horrific. Elway had **** ups galore. Not everybody graduates like Phillip Rivers.

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

But with that supporting cast, I think its a bit more pronounced. If I'm not mistaken, he had great receivers, a solid TE, and a solid RB. I also don't think its wise to compare a college player to hall of famers on this message board...or that might just be a double standard.

18. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    There may be better services which cater specifically to NFL front offices, but there isn't a more thorough, informed and thoughtful draft resource available to the average fan than you guys', especially since CBS ruined NFL Draft Scout.

Thanks to you for your hard work, and thanks to Dave Hyde for bringing it to Dolphins' fans from his high-exposure venue.

ckparrothead and Conuficus like this.
  19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Well the first thing I would have to do is point out the quality of the defense. Alabama is a damn good defense, and Ryan Mallett didn't always get the best help from that supposedly all-star surrounding cast of his. On one interception, Greg Childs sort of gives up on a route and just sits around like a bump on a log to where his DB can just stand there, literally stand there with nothing to do except read Mallett and run to where he's throwing. That ball, Mallett may have been trying to get it out of bounds anyway and he just didn't get it far enough. On the play, the OL let a blitzer come in off Mallett's right side, pressure him to the left where Marcel Dareus just completely shoved his blocker aside to try and bear hug Mallett. It was very busted up offensive execution against a truly excellent defense.

And speaking of excellent defenses, that Ohio State defense was fantastic. When I put that pressure video together, I had five games' worth of tape, and the Ohio State and Alabama games just completely dominated in terms of sheer volume. But Mallett said the Ohio State defense was even tougher than Alabama because they got pressure with a four man rush. Even so, if his receivers don't drop a few balls, Mallett has a KILLER day against Ohio State, and I don't even care about that final interception. Speaking of that final interception, how do you let Ross Homan the linebacker come directly up the middle, quickest path to the quarterback, completely untouched? Someone's going to have to explain to me in the blocking scheme how that was something that's supposed to happen. Mallett's pressured right up the gut and he's forced to get the ball out hot, there happens to be a DL dropping back right into that hot read. Sucks, but it happens. Decision-making overall in that game was fantastic.

ssmiami, CaribPhin and Jaj like this.
  20. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

How indicative of his season was it? I didn't really get to see much of Mallett so I'm asking you guys.

21. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Kudos that The Big Lead linked this article yesterday and then this a.m. Dan Patrick referenced perusing a 10,000 word piece on Mallett (as Mallett was just on the DP show) and it's clear that he was referring to this piece.

Patrick to Mallett: "Did you see the profile in the Sun-Sentinal on you?"

I like Mallett but would not really want him at 15. I'd be much happier if we traded down and still got him in the early/mid 20's.

I also found it interesting that the National Football Post (basically Bowen & Bunting) don't have a single QB rated at 1st round value. They have Ponder at #39 as their best QB (of course they mock several QBs in the 1st round just b/c of need).

For me, there are a lot of question-marks for all these guys. Gabbert did not put up spectacular players. Cam Newton - obvious Q marks but great talent; Then you have Ponder whose Sr. season is very questionable (really, to me, comes down to his arm health).

Every one of these come with high risk. I think 1-2 will turn out really good - which ones? Who knows. Also, it may be that one of these guys won't go in round 1 - so whomever gets "that guy" may get a bargain, or not (maybe the player slips to round 2 b/c that's what all the teams correctly think about him).

Given the presence of the QB's which represent a wildcard factor - unless they all go high to teams in the top 12-15 with a run on the four (Locker clearly is out of the 1st imo) - it could be a very intriguing draft all the way through round 1.

djphinfan and Conuficus like this.
  22. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Are you serious? Dan Patrick huh?

Thats cool, we just got Jason La Canfora to follow us on Twitter too.

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yup my buddy texted me and asked if I recently wrote an article for the Sun Sentinel on Mallett. He's a Bills fan and I saw this morning on Twitter someone mention that a Buffalo sports station was talking about our piece so I said lemme guess, you heard about it on a Bills radio station...he said no Dan Patrick Show with Ryan Mallett calling in. I was like, "Whaaaaaaaaa?"

GoPhins! likes this.
  24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    ''While much of the attention from the visit Dolphins representatives took to Arkansas Tuesday has focused on quarterback Ryan Mallett, league sources said that tight end D.J. Williams is a key reason for Miami's presence there.

The Dolphins have evaluated most top quarterback prospects, including Mallett, but are highly unlikely to draft the former Razorback, according to sources. However, the Dolphins are very much looking at tight ends and having Mallett throwing to Williams at Tuesday's workout was imperative from an evaluation process.

Miami, with new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, is likely to utilize more single-back plays, with multiple tight end/H-Back formations, given some of quarterback Chad Henne's limitations (particularly if he remains the starter). Tight end has become a position of need and one they could address in the third round. The Dolphins lack a second-round pick.

Miami is also keeping attention on Alabama running back Mark Ingram and could end up using its first-round selection on him. Ingram had an impressive workout at Alabama's campus Monday for a large Dolphins contingent; the New York Giants and New England Patriots are also monitoring Ingram closely.

Should the Dolphins meet their goal of acquiring a second-round pick, then quarterback Colin Kaepernick of Nevada would be among their targets, according to a league source, should he still be available then.

Kaepernick is scheduled to work out for the Dolphins this week, along with the Tennessee Titans, Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs. He has already met with the Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers and Philadelphia Eagles last week.

The plot thickens....Like to see CKap in those paragraphs, probably all smoke screens though..gives me some hope though....shoot, the way that story goes, with Ingram in the first, and CKap in the 2nd, Thats what ive said all offseason..just gotta figure out how to get recoup that 2nd...

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Universaldraft has a chance to become something very special...

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  26. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    As far as taking Mallet at 15 as opposed to wanting to trade down;

1. QB is the most important position...
    2. If you like Mallet it's because you think he can be your QB...
    3. So taking him at 15, regardless of how he's regarded by anyone else shouldn't be a factor. If he's there at 15, you take him.
    And remember that no fewer than 15 other teams will go into this draft looking for their QB of the future, so if someone else likes Mallet and thinks we'll take him at 15, they'll maneuver a trade for a pick higher than ours to take him.

QB is a position to warrant forgetting the usual caution and hedging of bets if you are convinced that he can be your franchise guy; you go all in to get him.

Go big or go home, in this case.

texanphinatic and djphinfan like this.
  27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Couldn't agree more.

28. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Question is who they like more Ponder or Mallett. I know they hate a guy that's not durable. Not sure on this one and I think they might not be either.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Conman, all these pundits are eventually going to be using you all to make themselves look smarter..

Man do I have an idea...gonna have to pm you.

30. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    A picture of Ryan Mallett's ancestor which explains much of what makes him the type of quarterback that he is.

[​IMG]

No seriously that's a Mallet mortar.

NaboCane and ckparrothead like this.