1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting article on need for receiver speed & better corner play

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ToddsPhins, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    This Pete Brisco article (CBSSports.com) relates to what some of us have been emphasizing about our offense (and Henne) being handcuffed by no true vertical threat and that Hartline at #2 is holding back our potential.

It's titled: "Teams looking to get good fast should heed speed"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14788253/teams-looking-to-get-good-fast-should-heed-speed

Aquafin likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Bunk, NE lost that game because their guys who could run, Welker and Woodhead et al did not make plays.

It also needs to be pointed out that Rohlesberger's safety blanket was taken away, Heath Miller was a non factor, and when they fell behind they stopped running the ball, Prisco is, as per usual, wrong.

Disgustipate and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not saying his premise is wrong. But the above is a piss poor way of proving it. He can't take one game and use it to prove his point.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And someone clue Prisco in:

"Charles Woodson did not play in the second half of the super bowl"

The BR pick 6 came on an underthrow because a DT hit his hand, had nothing whatsoever to do with Woodson or Williams.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The Patriots lost that game because Hernandez was hurt.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    For me, it was the inability to establish a running game, when we play the Jets we run the ball even when it doesn't work really well just to take their pass defense out of position.

Prisco is not very credible imo.

7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    C'mon Pads. Welker and Woodhead did not make plays? How about the Jets did a great job of taking them out of what they wanted to do? Sometimes you have to give credit to the defense, they have NFL players also.

The Jets went with 1 and 2 man DLines, allowing them to flood the underneath zones with LBs and DBs. They dared the Pats to run the ball and throw deep to beat them, and the Pats couldn't do it. Contrast that with the first game in Foxboro where the Jets went man-blitz heavy and the Pats torched them. It was an excellent adjustment made by the Jets. They made a similar adjustment in not blitzing Peyton Manning in the Wild Card round. It wasn't that Reggie Wayne didnt "make play" it was that Darelle Revis shut him down.

Green Bay was able to create favorable matchups all game long vs Pittsburgh. Jordy Nelson had a monster game, despite dropping two long completions. James Jones dropped a sure TD that would've put him over 100 yds. Greg Jennings and D Driver were the focal points of the Steelers' D, but the Pack have 3rd and 4th WR who can TORCH you if you single them with nickel & 4th defensive backs. Its not necessarily the speed, its the ability to make plays down the field.

Take a look at our WR corps and tell me what you think in comparison?

pumpdogs and ToddsPhins like this.
  8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    And the Colts lost to the Jets b/c Dallas Clark was hurt? Can we give the Jets some credit? Or is that not allowed here?

pumpdogs and ToddsPhins like this.
  9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Really? So Hernandez is now the supreme key to their team? What about that guy Tom Brady?

I love how you throw Henne under the bus here despite the problems around him, but all of a sudden you're saying a HOF QB didn't win b/c he was lacking 1 of his rookie TEs? :lol:

What about the first time NE lost to the Jets when Hernandez had 6 grabs for 101 yards? Was he injured then? Hilarious how you speak of Hernandez as if he's currently Antonio Gates.

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Hogwash. NY's defense put a beat down on NE, plain and simple. There's no way you can spin it any other way. NE didn't fall apart; they were stomped, bottled up, and Brady was coverage sacked and knocked around all game b/c of it.

fin13 likes this.
  11. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I would also point out that NE scored plenty of points to win that game. Their defense let them down more than anything...

RoninFin4 likes this.
  12. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Exactly. The double standard is laughable :lol:.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    One game? He used numerous examples from games that matter the most---- the post season. How long would you like the article to be? lol. I'm sure he could delve into the regular season as well, but that would just be overkill.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I disagree. They were held to 11 points through 58 minutes and 28 seconds.

15. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I throw Henne under the bus because he's not a good QB. Whether there are other problems isn't relevant to him being a bad QB. Jason Campbell is a bad QB with good players around him and he's a bad QB with bad players around him.

In regards to the Patriots, go back and watch the playoff game. The Jets played a matchup zone 90% of the time. Why didn't they play that same zone in week 2 or week 13? And bringing up the week 2 game is a pretty awful argument, considering PFF gave every single Jet in the secondary negative ratings. Yes, I suppose those are the coverage guys that shut down the Patriots, not Shaun Ellis' 6 QB pressures :001_rolleyes:

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, add in they gained no advantage over the Jets via ST and could not run the ball effectively to a porous Defence and what happened is no surprise.

However, I also made the point at the time that the Patriots losing Moss effectively relegated them to a pre 07 offense with no big plays down field, but there is a difference between a big play and speed as the Pats had plenty of fast Wr's, they had no big play Wr's.

With that Ozman, I suspect this will turn into an ill informed pep rally soon enough, so I'm kindly bowing out of this one.

17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    David Harris INTs Brady, returns it to the Pats' 12 yd line, the Pats defense holds them to 0 points. That's impressive. Or what about the botched fake punt that gave NY the ball at the Pats 37, which was converted to a TD right before half time? Or the Jets last TD drive that started on the Pats 20 after a failed onside kick. Or the Pats last TD that came in garbage time vs a prevent defense? Prior to that NE had 14 points in 58+ minutes.

Basically, Sanchez led two TD drives, and Brady led two TD drives. If anything, the difference was ST.

18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Gotchya...... again, so Henne has no excuse to lose when he doesn't even have #2 TE, but when HOFer Brady loses, it's b/c his #2 TE wasn't playing? You've lost all credibility to criticize Henne. :lol:

33 year old Ellis who had 4.5 sacks on the season? Cmon now.

First you try to make Hernandez seem like the greatest weapon in all of football whom a HOF QB can't win without....... and you follow that by trying to make Ellis seem like he's a Suh type unstoppable force? LOL @ that. Ellis's pressure what the benefactor of NY's coverage.

19. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Who said Brady had an excuse to lose? I just said how the Jets beat the Patriots. There aren't any excuses necessary.

Hernandez sure was good enough to make Belichick not think twice about changing his offensive scheme. Not sure why you would compare Suh to Ellis, but Ellis was absolutely one of the better 3-4 DEs in the league last season. I would even go as far as saying there hasn't been a better passrushing 5-tech in the league over the last 5 seasons.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The only thing holding back the true potential is having a quarterback with poor ball placement, HORRIBLE pocket awareness, and questionable medium range touch accuracy

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I didn't quote your whole article. I quoted the one part. That one part, was exactly what i said it was....not proof of anything.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  22. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    There is no double standard. Tom Brady didn't have a bad game against the Jets.

23. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    Tom Brady was made to have a bad game by the Jets D.
    The Pats D couldn't stop a nose bleed.

24. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    lol our speed receiver was Marlon Moore.

lol

GMJohnson likes this.
  25. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

The Jets beat the Patriots because they didn't have Aaron Hernandez....lol, wow.

Shaun Ellis won the game for the Jets because of 6 QBP's....lol, wow.

I've seen a lot of people eliminate the fact that a Defense is a paid group of NFL players when it doesn't fit the narrative they'd like to portray.

GMJohnson and ToddsPhins like this.
  26. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You did by saying the reason NE lost was due to missing Hernandez.

27. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    There most certainly is a double standard. When NE loses, you blame it on them missing a #2 TE. When Miami loses w/o a #2 TE and ALL SORTS of other problems, you blame it on Henne.

Then you take it so far as to say that Brady didn't have a bad game. Don't let his stats of the last 90 seconds of the game fool you. The Jets' D had him completely discombobulated.

GMJohnson likes this.
  28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    This is a case where Moore isn't always better. I'd rather have less of Moore than more of Moore. lol

GMJohnson likes this.
  29. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Moore sucks. He has no idea how to catch a football and has the ugliest form catching the ball as well.

30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So what you're saying is we should pass on Julio Jones if given the chance? :shifty:

31. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    How the hell did Da Bears and Duh Jets get so close to being in the Super Bowl? Add in the Ravens, if ya like, they had little speed as well.

32. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    When did I ever eliminate that fact? The argument made was that the Jets defense was good because their secondary made their front-7 look good.

Here are the PFF stats for the NYJ in 2011. You can decide who carried them.

Attached Files:

33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Now you're diverting this away from 1 game's play and into an entire season so that it can better suit your argument. The Jets' coverage won the game for them. The pressure up front didn't help the coverage as much as the coverage helped provide the pressure.

34. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Da Bears had Johnny Knox, amazingly fast. He ran a 4.34. Hester isn't exactly slow (4.30). Holmes in NY ran a 4.45. Edwards ran a 4.45-4.50.

By contrast, Marshall had a 4.57. Bess 4.6. Hartling averaged a 4.52.

35. Ozzy

That's also why the play 60 :)

One part was right in that the Patriots Db's could not stop the big plays thru the air. Not because they didn't have a speedy Wr. NE moved the ball well enough to win that game

36. Ozzy

Sure but NE not having a speed Wr would not have helped NE. The Jets blitz was killing Brady for most of the game. Game planning against Brady is knock his *** on the ground really hard and their drives will stall....

37. Ozzy

Looked pretty good running after he couldn't catch it a few times. He may suck but he could develop into a player that's always on the bubble...

38. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What is the slightest bit interesting about that article? He clearly agrees with a point you hold to be true, but other than that? He doesn't raise any interesting points. He doesn't impart any football knowledge. He proclaims something a trend with a bit of anecdotal evidence that isn't particularly well thought through(par for course for the writer in question).

It's a hack piece by a bad sports writer with a deadline who is forced to writing stuff like this because he doesn't have the pull to be allowed to report on the actual issues of right now like the Draft or the CBA issues.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    dick

lol. :tongue2:

Ozzy likes this.
  40. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Its been two years now for NE. But who cares about them. We need more speed, not a doubt in the wide wide world of sports about it.