1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The P90X Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MonstBlitz, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    So there was a thread going in the Club Lounge about P90X but my membership expired, and funds are tight, so I hope nobody minds me making one here. :lol:

This thread is for those doing, those who have done, or those thinking about doing P90X.

Just started the 3rd month of P90X. And it's not getting any easier...:pity:

But I'm sticking with it! :up:

Since I'm not doing the diet, I haven't lost much weight at all. But I'm getting stronger and feel much healthier. I've also heard that the weight tends to fall off in the final third of the program, so I'm still holding out hope.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I just push the world down a few hundred times a day.

3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Im not doing p90x, but I can tell you that ur doing it wrong. Your body is like a machine. If you dont give it the right fuel, it wont perform the way you want it to. Working out means little to nothing if you have a poor diet. You should at least follow these few rules. They have been golden for me.

• Dont drink calories. Drinking water not only decreases the amount of calories your body needs to burn, but it also helps your body work better. Your liver will process faster because it doesnt have to work as hard.
    • If you eat something carb-heavy, eat it before the sun goes down. If you dont workout at night, then dont eat heavy carbs after 3pm. You cant afford to have extra complex sugars stored as fat while youre sleeping.
    • Fruits in the morning. Veggies at night. Fresh, not frozen. Your body will thank you. The more color in the fruit or veggies, the better they are for you. Just remember not to eat fruit at night.
    If you follow those rule, at least the first 2, you will lose weight fast. Ive been on my own program for over a year now. I lost 85 lbs in the first 12 months, and now im adding muscle by changing my diet and workout to focus more on that. You dont need P90X. All you need is motivation and a few guidelines.

Thats pretty good. I wish I could do a few hundred pushups a day. Right now Im working out 2-3 times a day and doing 30 pushups before and after sleeping. I feel better than I ever have.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  4. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Good advice, Gish but I didn't say I'm not doing any diet I'm just not doing the P90X diet. I eat tons of fruit and vegetables. And I'm sorry but I refuse to subscibe to the theory that working out is useless without a strict diet. If you eat the same amount and workout, you get stronger. Weight loss is not my primary goal. 85lbs is an amazing amount of weight to lose, but if I lost that kind of weight I'd be nothing but skin and bones. Not saying I don't have a beer gut that I'd like to get rid of but becoming more fit is my primary goal here.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You spent too much on p90x..:lol:!

Will say, I've been nicked up with a back and ankle problem so really no workouts, but I've lost a good 18-20 pds since Jan just by drinking green tea instead of beer (2 tall beers is like a Big Mac).

MonstBlitz likes this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Working out is awesome for you even without a strict diet.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  7. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Drinking water and not eating before you sleep is hardly a strict diet. You dont have to count calories, and you can still eat pretty much whatever you want as long as you do it at the right time of day.

padre31 likes this.
  8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Ha! My lack of funds has more to do with computers breaking, paying off a little bit of Credit card debt accumulated during Xmas, and worry about a government shutdown (federal employee).

I've been drinking a lot of green tea lately. Unfortunately my alcohol consumption hasn't gone down much. I'll go 2-3 weeks without a drink, but follow it up with a 3 day bender. The good thing is I usually don't eat all that much during benders.

I don't remember were you doing P90X, or different workouts?

9. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Besides alcohol and green tea, water is the only thing I drink. Haven't touched a soda in almost a year. Occasionally I'll have a glass of juice with cereal or in the middle of the night (I wake up with sweet tooth some nights) but that's about it. Try to eat small meals, somewhat healthy, but allow myself some unhealthy crap here and there. So maybe I am on a diet by your definition.j

Edited to add: chewing on raw cauliflower as I type...:lol:

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Different workouts, it is my experience that it doesn't matter what workout you do as long as you do them intensely.

And Booze really packs on the weight, Mike Lombardi was on during the Combine and he was talking about big men in the NFL and he was saying a shot of tequila is the equivalent to a milk shake, a shot and a beer is like drinking 2 milkshakes, 3 or 4 of them and they add up quickly.

Which is why you really should think about putting a leash on that, at least until you obtain the results that are your goal.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  11. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well, I don't know if I buy the 1 shot tequila = milkshake, but yes booze = calories. But I enjoy drinking. And I've seen plenty of people be healthy and fit while enjoying alcohol. Sure it doesn't help, but it also doesn't render results impossible. For me the only danger alcohol presents is the damage it can do to my ambition.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is not only the booze = calories, it is also the slowing of metabolism. If you are trying to lose weight giving up booze will help. There are plenty of healthy and fit people who enjoy milkshakes.

I think people treat their diet as a religion. There are many different ways to get the results you want.

MonstBlitz and GISH like this.
  13. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    The problem with most people is their view of dieting. A diet isnt a fasting peroid. A diet is what you consume. So to say youre on a diet makes no sense. Youre always on a diet. The trick is to find the diet that works for you, and not think of it as a temporary thing. If you view it as temporary, youre likely to act in extremes, thinking it will be over soon and you can go back to your regular diet. The problem with that is your results will also be temporary. Its much better to find a middle ground, and establish healthy habits. Learn what types of things you dont want to exclude from your diet, and find ways to incorporate them without the negative side effects.

Personally, I rarely drink anything but water. I havent had any alcohol in roughly 5 weeks. I dont drink milk. On rare occasion Ill have a glass of juice early in the morning. Drinking water is not even bad or difficult. It saves money, and after a week or so you dont miss the other drinks. After a month sugar filled drinks sound repulsive. I wont drink tea because I cant stand it without sugar, and I wont drink sugar. Controlling your fluid intake is by far the most important aspect of any diet. Water is a miracle substance.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Myself I started on a game on diet. A fun diet competition with friends. I do agree that for long term benefits I am going to have to find a diet that works after I get to where I want to go. However it is a simple diet with five small meals a day.

I mostly want to point out is that I started drinking 3 liters of water a day. The surprising aspect of it is now that I have been drinking 3 liters of water a day my body craves it. I have never craved water before. Now if I do not have a liter of water before noon I will feel like I haven't drank water for a week and I will get a headache. Plus when I do drink the water it is like I can feel my cells celebrating. I did not realize my body loved water so much. No matter what I do for food for the rest of my life, I have decided to drink over 2 liters of water a day for the rest of my life. I honestly cannot believe how good that feels.

finyank13, GISH and MonstBlitz like this.
  15. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    so true. once you switch to water, it becomes the natural choice.

16. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    If I remember correctly P90x doesn't like to use the word diet because people have negative thoughts about that word.

Crushed it.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  17. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Finished up P90X today. Thought this day would never come!

Overall results -

Lost 5 lbs
    added quite a bit of muscle
    could barely do 1 pull up when I started and I can do 7 today

Would I recommend it? Yes. I didn't lose much weight but it's because I ignored the diet. My diet isn't terrible, but I definitely had some bad weeks in there. Some epic benders in there too that hurt some of my workouts. But I did every single one. Didn't skip any days. I'm much stronger and ridiculously more flexible than when I started this thing. Pretty proud of myself and the best part is, a normal workout routine is going to seem like a walk in the park compared to the last 3 months!

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Managed to work down to 217, and am far more active and disciplined but am having problems with soreness.

When I lift with high intensity, to the point of failure, it is taking me to long to recover.

A good upper body workout is knocking me down for 2 days so even a 1 day on, 1 day off schedule is not really possible atm.

19. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I noticed the recovery drink really helped cut down my soreness. Since I used up the drink I'm definitley sore longer. I went through six weeks of the workouts without missing much and it made a pretty big difference. I went from being able to do three pullups to about 15 now in one set. The problem for me was trying to crank out so many workouts in a week, it was such a grind. I could barely find time for it. I still do two to three of the workouts a week though and one of them is always plyometrics.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I walk 3 miles per day and that really helped with the weight loss, my problem is same as yours, working that soreness out in time for the summer..:)

Think maybe I have to up the protein and the stretching before and after I lift.

Sux, used to able to shrug that stuff off.

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    P90X would be impossible for me to do during the summer, nor would I ever want to. I like exercising outside when the weather is nice and the days are long. That's why the time period I did it (Jan - March) was perfect for me. It was dark at 4:30, so I wasn't missing out on any daylight with the evening workouts after work. Also, I don't go on many trips during those first 3 months of the year.

22. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I remember that thread. Glad you finished it up bro.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  23. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Getting it back is easier than you think. You just need a goal, and a routine again. Getting away from that is what got you to where you are now.

Trust me, my hiatus lasted almost 10 years but, with a goal and a routine to follow, I got back into it rather quickly. You however, have only been out of it a year. You still have muscle memory going for you. You won't have a problem.

If you do, it will most likely be the alcohol. It makes you feel like **** later when trying to work out. It can kill a workout too. You could find yourself not progressing any, and that's what can make one quit.

Just kick some *** bro!

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  24. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    It's a pretty good workout and gives you a routine that varies throughout the week. The program uses something they call muscle confusion which is basically working your muscles out in different ways over time to stimulate better growth and performance. I felt a lot better after a few weeks. It is time intensive but not as time intensive as what you said you used to do. It's not beneficial to work every single muscle group intensely like that every day anyway so it sounds like it could be better for you. You can get away with repeated workouts like that at your age but in 7 years or so you'll feel it. The P90X workout also comes with a fairly strict diet. Personally I blew that off. Since you're 23 you probably still have a low body fat percentage and high metabolism so the diet isn't crucial for you right now.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  25. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    P90X has a great plyometric workout [my personal favorite actually]. It's about an hour of squats and various jumping exercises. It's probably the most intense workout in the program. I actually did it yesterday. I'm a little sore today. Tomorrow I'll be moving like I'm 80 but it's worth it. When I do plyo every week I feel pretty amazing. The workouts helped me get back into Army shape and maybe even a little better when I was doing them every day. Enough sounding like an infomercial. Needless to say I highly recommend it.

Aqua4Ever04 and MikeHoncho like this.
  26. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Every-so-slightly off-topic
    [video=youtube;CKekcHMiVVg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKekcHMiVVg[/video]

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, I've hit a "stuck" weight of about 220 pds, I think I may have to:

-drastically reduce my diet and up my activity levels
    -eat more protein and less carbs when I have a meal.

Yes? No?

28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Medi-Clinic

29. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'd go with less carbs.

30. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I haven't used p90x but if that is what it will take to get you back into a routine Aqua, you should definitely do it.

31. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Add water and a little extra fiber to that and you sir, are a WinRar. Definitely yes.

32. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Oh hot damn...I didn't realize this forum was here. I did Power90 back in March through May, P90x from June to August, and I'm just getting into my 2nd month of INSANITY. I'm lovin' this "new" me. Eatin' clean and workin' hard. After this round of insanity a buddy of mine wants to do P90x with me, so I'm going to give that another round before I do P90x2 in February.

33. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    How is Insanity compared to P90X? It's only 2 months right? What kind of equipment, average length of workouts, easier, harder, etc.

Thanks!

34. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    Insanity is very different...It's high intensity cardio, with a lot of floor work with your body weight as resistance. The workouts are shorter. The first month they are around 40 minutes, and the second month they are just under an hour. I would say it's a bit harder just because of the nature of the exercises. You're going all out for pretty much the whole duration, and it whoops you. It makes the P90x Plyometrics look like a walk to the mailbox.

Now, there is a deluxe edition of Insanity that includes an upper body weight lifting routine, but that's optional. For that you'd need dumbbells. I have it, and it's pretty good. I do it on Sundays, before I yell at the TV.

Overall, I really like it because it's different. They say that after you do Insanity, your body is ready for whatever you can throw at it, and it can help you push harder in workouts like P90x or whatever other workout you choose.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Not CrossFit.....I implore anybody on here doing P90X or Intensity if they think they can do anything, to join your nearest CrossFit Box.......you will find that CF offers a much bigger challenge....

36. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    I've done some Crossfit before..the wifey does that..it's really good, too. It's up to the individual though and what they like. It's not really so much about this is better or that is better, it's what's better for you and how it gives you results.
    I like doing the stuff at home, because I know how I am. If I have to go somewhere to do it, I probably won't :(

finyank13 likes this.
  37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    yeah see I cant be home....I would never get the results I have been....plus not to mention the equipment they have is ridiculous....

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  38. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    Yeah it is..that gear is interesting..at least at the ones I've done. Flippin' truck tires...running cinder blocks back and forth. Jumping up and down on big old electric wire spools. It's definitely cool stuff.

I do my stuff in the basement, but I think I'm going to have to get new flooring soon..there's so much sweat in the damn carpet I doubt it's ever going to smell right..haha

finyank13 likes this.
  39. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    This sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind harder workouts if they're shorter. Is there an extra ab routine added on? That's what killed me with P90X. I don't mind working abs. I minded doing an extra ab workout after the workout. Basically this sounds like what I'm looking for. Shorter, more intense.

How much space do you need? We just put a king size bed in our bedroom and it's really limited the room I have. Are there a lot of routines that require you to move across a room? Or more standing in place type exercises?

40. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    There is an extra ab routine done once per week. For Insanity I don't think you "have" to do it because you target your core/abs a lot just going through the regular routines.

You do need a fair amount of space to work in. There is a lot of lateral movement, jumping, and moving forward and back. A 6' x 8' space is probably enough for most folks. You don't really go from one end of the room to the other, but walking planks have you covering some ground, as do the mini-suicide drills

MonstBlitz likes this.