1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another reason to wear a helmet

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by phineas64, Apr 14, 2008.

1. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

Another sad story of a too-short life. I wonder if the parents had instructed him to wear a helmet or not. Or even knew he was riding.

Plantation teen dies after riding dirt bike into car

Snell, who was not wearing a helmet, suffered serious head trauma, Collins said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbbikedeath0414sbapr14,0,2489527.story

And nice work by the brother:

As Becker called 911, Snell's brother grabbed the Honda dirt bike and went home, leaving his brother at the scene, Collins said.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    unbelieveable.....who leaves your brother dying on the road?!?!

alen1 and opfinistic like this.
  3. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    RIP kid, 16 is way too young to go. Your brother is a real jackass, but in a moment of panic sometimes you react instead of act.

4. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    this is what irritates me about police

who cares!!! a boy is dead and you're worried about if the bike had lights? find out why a guy didn't notice a motorcycle in the road.

alen1 and SICK like this.
  5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Dumb Teen on Dirt Bike + Old Boca Driver = Disaster

I cant think of a worse recipe.

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    thats sad news. As much as im sure cyclists and bikers hate the idea of wearing helmets, you cant deny the increased safety they provide. When I was about 10 years old my best friends little brother who was 6, was out riding his bike and was hit by a car that wasnt travelling fast at all, he flew off the bike, hitting his head on the road and he died. We live out in the country, on a backroad, he was just riding out the end of the driveway and turning around and... yeah.. its just sad news anytime something like this happens. As far as im concerned helmets on bikes, dirtbikes and motorcycles should be mandatory. Thats just my two cents though... I know many will disagree.

7. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

When my dad bought me my first dirt bike at age 10, one rule was the helmet, long pants and shirt, and boots or I didn't ride. Even now, it just feels wrong if I don't wear them. I have lived and ridden in Hawaii and Florida, and still won't ride in shorts, t shirt, or helmetless.

I think at least for kids under 18, helmets and other protective gear ought to be mandatory, after that they are supposed to be responsible for their own actions, and medical bills.

8. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i think its mildly ironic that the kid's name was Snell, which is the organization that rates helmet safety for motorbikes/etc...

this is sad to hear.

in other news, i look really cool when i wear my helmet. me & my g/f:
    [​IMG]

but when she's alone, she jacks it all up:
    [​IMG]

phineas64, Ultra and unluckyluciano like this.
  9. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    :lol:

10. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    If the bike was street legal then they might be able to charge the driver otherwise they can not/will not more then likely. I believe thats called doing their job. :hi5:

11. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think this story may open another can of worms. As anyone in Southeast Florida can attest, you should get your license taken away at a certain age or at least have to re-take and pass the drivers road exam.

I realize this guy was only 65. But if you saw some of the dercrepid souls behind the wheel down here it would send shivers down yor spine. I have soooo many stories of driving mis-haps involving old *** dudes.

12. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I agree that they need to do their job. But it would take one look at the bike to see if it's street legal. Does it have turn signals? Does it have a horn? Does it have a registration sticker? Does it have lights? We're done.

13. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    no not all dirt bikes are street legal. They might be trying to identify it, engine blah blah blah, plus not like they make the laws, so I am sure they have to ask around as well.

14. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    maybe, I'm sure the writer of the article just took a statement by the police and made more of it than was necessary trying to fill space.