1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good article about the Super Bowl plus the future economic situation of the NFL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020705610.html

2. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

The NFL needs to go ahead and pony up some big dollars to get the stadium situation resolved where the sun shines most during this time of year...

3. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I made the comment the other day in a thread, but I feel it bears repeating now. We live in a society where the debt of sports is socialized and the profits are privatized. And with ticket prices going up every year, plus the cost of parking, concessions, and other game day items it's only a matter of time before it reaches a breaking point.

4. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Who else thinks that Goodel will only receive this realization when Al Davis dies and subsequently visits him from beyond the grave in a role reprisal of Jacob Marley from "A Christmas Carol"?

5. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    San Diego ? :lol:

Nawwww, but stadium finances are usually left up to the individual teams. I will be pissed off though if the NFL helps out LA and we don't get crap for stadium. If I were the Dolphins I would threaten a lawsuit. We have done more fore, and been more to the NFL than LA has in the past. They even had two teams at one time and couldn't keep either team, so what would LA deserve with the help ?

6. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Its getting close, and this labor stoppage, if it happens could be that time & place.

gafinfan likes this.
  7. Ozzy

The NFL does help with Stadiums.

8. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Well, in fairness, lots of those prices were for the Superbowl.

If you go to that monster, you're going to pay out the nose, so
    you might as well deal with it and stop sniveling.
    There are plenty of seats in that stadium that are affordable.
    I believe the standing decks are like 25 bucks for regular season games.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It sort of bothers me that the NFL's ideal for a Super Bowl is for it to be played in a Billion Dollar Mausoleum of marble and stone ala the Colesium only with sushi and luxury boxes and where the fans in the seats are so far away from the field the players themselves are insulated from their cheers, talk about a soulless game..sheesh.

Hang a huge jumbotron in the Practice Bubble and get rid of the fans altogether.

gafinfan and Pandarilla like this.
  10. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    You've been listening to the East Coast media too much.

Truth is, that storm was an absolute FREAK.

Truth is, it was 68 degrees one week prior to the Superbowl here in Dallas.

11. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Well, North TX gets two to three of those type storms a year. It's not
    that out of the ordinary. Yes, I agree it was a freak occurance that it
    happened just at that time, (the worst time) but it's hardly out of the
    relm of possibility. Heck, I used to fly about 10-15 round trips a month when
    I was in sales, and I always had to connect through Dallas or Houston. The
    first time I ever was in an aircraft that got it's wings De iced was in Dallas in March.

Events like the SB need to be held in cities that aren't going to get those
    types of storms, like Miami, LA, SD, etc. Heck, even San Fran could probably handle
    it. I think the NY Superbowl is going to be a debacle.

12. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

This is by far, the worst storm on record here.

It did snow last year, but the snow was completely gone within 24 hours.
    This year, we got 4" of solid Ice, the temps dropped to record levels (High of 13 one day) then it snowed 8" on top of that.

I've only been here 2 years, but according to everybody I have talked to, as well as the local media, this is indeed the worst storm on record temperature wise..which is what caused the problems.

I had to laugh at the NY and Chicago guys all calling Dallas out for not having snow plows and such. Guess what, usually when it does snow its gone before Plows can even get assembled and to it. Whats the point of spending Millions of dollars on plows if you never use them :lol:

13. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    In March of.......I'm wanting to say '04 or '05 There was a massive storm that dumped snow and
    ice all over N Texas.....Heck, all the way down to just about Austin. They said my flight to Killeen
    was cancelled, and since it was weather, they wouldn't pay for my hotel, and I could sleep in the
    terminal. *My **** I called up my boss and got a car rented then drove home...35 was just a sheet of
    Ice, and I got all the way to Hillsboro weaving through wrecked cars and trucks before DPS shut it
    down. The only time I got stuck was following the trooper to the red cross shelter. *My ****..I just
    drove out to a gas station and slept in my car until they opened it in the morning. It was about 48 hours
    to clear everything off from that one I think.....

But yeah, your point is taken, and, you're right. It was just really bad luck that storm hit when
    and how hard it did. And of course we don't have plows. Why bother? Still usually there are
    a number of snow/ice storms that close things down for a bit up that way.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  14. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Los Angelos baby !!!!!!!!!!!

15. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Might wanna worry about actually having:

1) A team
    2) A stadium worthy of having it in.

Just sayin......

16. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think you can have a SB in a city that's lost two NFL teams due
    to lack of support.

17. Ozzy

I know the weather in Texas. It's very similar to Florida for 3/4th's of the year but it does snow.

And that Freak is going to put a damper on Future Super Bowls being easy to vote in.

Not saying it won't see another one but the Super bowl is meant and best to be played in great weather cities. It's not like I want them all played here either but what the SB brings is millions to the communities, and 68 a week before the game was not the week of the game. Freak or not, people pay tons of money to see it.

18. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It really only snows in North Texas. Austin rarely gets any, and Houston has about 1 snowfall a decade.

The big issue with snow in Dallas is that they lack the infrastructure to deal with it - trucks, plows, salt, etc. I would say that snowfall would make further SBs in big D unlikely, but Jerry's palace all but assures it will be back.

If LA goes ahead with the plan for Farmer's field, the Chargers will most likely move north and will probably become the big SB host for awhile.

Ozzy likes this.