1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quarterbacks coach David Lee and tight ends coach George DeLeone could be out as well

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Jan 8, 2011.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    "With sweeping changes expected in the offensive staff, Sparano should have a better chance to fill the role of departing offensive coordinator Dan Henning. Quarterbacks coach David Lee and tight ends coach George DeLeone could be out as well, sources said.

Potential replacements for Henning include current assistants Hue Jackson (Raiders), Pete Carmichael Jr. (Saints), John Garrett (Cowboys) and Rob Chudzinski (Chargers), sources said. Chudzinski formerly worked at the University of Miami. As for reports that talks with former Steelers coach Bill Cowher broke down over issues of control, two sources insisted things never got that far.

Cowher was indeed contacted early this week but was unwilling to discuss the Dolphins job because Sparano still held it, sources said. To do otherwise, a source said, would have been "completely distasteful" to the current CBS football analyst."

Source.... http://mobile.sun-sentinel.com/wap/...34386631&cid=17109&scid=1911&ith=2&title=News

Tin Indian and PhinsRock like this.
  2. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    The ENTIRE offensive staff needs to go. I look at it like this, when you hire a new head coach for your team, you hire the new head coach....then try to find an OC/DC that fits his coaching style and game plan, etc...

Same thing can be said for hiring an OC. Hire the OC and let HIM pick his subordinate coaching staff...coaches who know the OC's coaching scheme and game plans and who will coach the players to the OC's game plan.

If we're cleaning house on offense, then let's clean house on offense.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Rizzi must go! Rizzi must go!

DolfanJake and PhinsRock like this.
  4. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    How in the world is Jason Garrett going to be our OC? Or Hue Jackson for that matter?

Lazy reporting

Bpk likes this.
  5. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    John Garret, not Jason. Though the odds of it happening are still about the same.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Pete Carmichael Jr. is certainly an intriguing option.

7. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    How in the world could we get him? He's currently an offense coordinator for New Orleans, why would he leave there?

Da 'Fins and DolfanJake like this.
  8. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    And will never happen.

Lazy reporting indeed. OC's can't make a lateral move unless a team grants such (giving an assistant head coach tag does nothing to this rule). I highly doubt the Saints would ever let that happen.

Either the team hires a re-tread or they promote from WR/HB/OL/TE coaches.

Bpk, DolfanJake and GridIronKing34 like this.
  9. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro it is John Garrett.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not sure. Can you even do that under nFL rules? Go from OC to OC unless you're fired?

11. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Well, if there's a chance he could inherit the Dolphins as their new head coach, that would be a reason.

Not that I'm thrilled about the idea, but that's "how" we could get him.

12. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think the Saints need to give permission, which they wouldn't. I know if we chased after say, Atlanta's quarterbacks coach, we would need permission because a position coach to coordinator is considered a lateral movement.

alen1 likes this.
  13. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I think you'll see Josh McDaniels (former coach of Denver) in our booth as OC soon; it's all over but the shouting with Josh.

Further; Pennington should retire and become our QB coach, Brett Favre would be better to train our QB's both dimensions of the game but, that just won't happen.

I bet you'll hear the announcement on Josh in less than two weeks,

14. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro how would that relationship be with Marshall?

Bpk likes this.
  15. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Broncos fan friend of mine said they got along fine, Marshall had a problem with the ownership not giving Marshall a new contract because he was promised a new one... felt lied to by Pat Bowlen. At least that's what he told me.

I think it would work out fine.

16. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Pretty sure you're right. We have to hire an assistant or a fired OC. Has something to do with the CBA I believe.

17. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I'd be surprised if it happened, but I'd love to see it.

GMJohnson likes this.
  18. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Be fine with that. As long as he doesn't bring Tebow with him.

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, it depends Alen, normally permission is asked for, typically is granted, if not the team can simply make an offer with a increase in position in the organization, but I'd suspect Sparano wouldn't be denied a request to submit an offer.

Of all of the things to come out of the mess, Ross has been leveraged into allowing Sparano an open checkbook to sign Staff members, how could he refuse to do so when he was just banged with a 2 yr deal?

Irish had it right when he only offered a typical "hot seat" 1 yr extension, I suspect Ross stepped in and bumped it up to 2yrs to avoid further embarassment..of the two I think Irish is the checkbook bulldog and Ross will write checks..but only if he feels it will help.

20. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Totally agree with the premise of this thread/OP, the entire offensive staff needs to go, Henning, David Lee, the TE coach, I'm not even sold on the OL coach Deguilmo (sp?). And frankly if we do land a solid OC he should have the freedom to bring in who HE chooses for his staff. Can't be any worse than any of this offensive staff, IMO.

21. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I don't believe that Ross or Sparano is going to be asking for Marshall's advice. LOL. I would be concerned on how McDaniel would go over with Nolan.

I'll be very happy to see Lee go. He not only wanted White but, was the one who brought in the Wild Cat. It was a VG idea, and did help the team. However, how do you develop Henne while promoting taking White, and the use of the WC?

Seems like a bit of a conflict of interest to me.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  22. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro I wasn't asking them to ask Marshall for his advice, just to ask themselves if it could work. Great point on McDaniels and Nolan. It might be a repeat of many years ago of Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride going at it on the sidelines.

23. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    This morning reports that say McDaniels has already interviewed with the Vikings and will take that job.

cobrajet likes this.
  24. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I "think" a team can add Assistant HC as an upgrade to an OC. Not sure, anyone know? Then again, how will that go over with Nolan?

25. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Cali, This is the reason for "LOL." LOL.

I do recall that with Buddy and Gilbride. Maybe we invest in those oversized boxing gloves, and let Nolan and McDaniel go at it once a week. :)

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  26. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks, I didn't see that. I feel that is very bad news for us. While our blundering 'circus in town' owner was fumble fingering the HC position we have let a lot of good OC's slip through our fingers, including Weis from the Chiefs. We just keep making bone head mistakes. If we are going to fire people and fire new ones than lets do it already. For a team that has so much work to do we don't seem to be doing much at all.

27. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    it was also reported that sparano was fired and harbaugh was gonna be the next dolphins head coach. show what reporters know. i wouldn't be surprised if mcdaniels was our next OC just because reporters say he's going somewhere else.

28. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    :ffic:

29. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I missed that as well. Insider was saying that we had interest in McDaniel, and were going to bring him in for an interview. Wonder if the last week's fiasco changed that?

Regardless, IF our players block, run, and catch, any new OC is gonna look good or, at least better than last year. IMO, players get no free ride for our problems.

30. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    This part of the article made me laugh out loud. . . .

"Cowher was indeed contacted early this week but was unwilling to discuss the Dolphins job because Sparano still held it, sources said. To do otherwise, a source said, would have been "completely distasteful" to the current CBS football analyst."

Maybe we could have had Cowher if Ross hadn't acted like such a child. There is another part of this article that makes me raise my eyebrows too.

"Tensions had mounted between the two proteges of former Dolphins football czar Bill Parcells, who brought both men to the Dolphins in 2008 but has since stepped away into a consulting role. "

This must be why Parcells left the 'day to day' operations in Miami, he got tired of being in the middle of these two yahoos.

Between these two statements you can pretty much surmise what is going on. The FO all the way up to the owner is a bumbling pack of clusterf@$ks. Sound like it's time to really, really clean house starting with their unprofessional behavior.

My high school football coach said something once that stayed with me for years; "Horses in a team all pull in the same direction or they'll pull the wagon apart" These guys should have had my high school football coach. He would have settled this problem months ago.

This is a disgrace to an awesome franchise.

Bpk likes this.
  31. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    May be too early for a beer in Cali, so I will drink two, one for you. You owe me on later.

32. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    It is getting closer.

33. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    OK, let's both have two. We do have two hands. SLAINTE!!!

Enjoy the games.

34. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I agree, trying to 'better deal' our HC while he was still on board was probably the most distasteful thing I have ever seen an organization do. I would NOT have blamed Sporano one bit if he told Ross to 'stick it!' when things with Harbaugh didn't work out. No one deserves to treated like that. If your gonna fire him, than fire him, but don't make him a public fool by degrading him like that.

I think this poor handling of the situation with our HC, is why Cowher's blood ran cold and could be why Harbaugh ran the other way, and I don't think this is done haunting us. Just wait until we can't find an OC etc... because of it. I mean really; would you want to work for a guy like Ross who plays that crap? I wouldn't.

I think Ross just found out that there are some things money can't buy, like dignity.

35. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    Dolphins | Could be interested in several coordinator candidates
    Sun Jan 9, 03:12 PM

The Miami Dolphins may be interested in Kansas City Chiefs assistant head coach Maurice Carthon, Atlanta Falcons quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave, former New York Giants quarterbacks coach Chris Palmer, Dolphins wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell, former San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye and University of Wisconsin Paul Chryst as candidates for their offensive coordinator position, reports Brian Biggane, of the Palm Beach Post.

SOURCE: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...n-offensive-coordinator-here-are-1170926.html

The KC link makes sense as Parcells' son-in-law is GM there, beyond that I see no quick fixes.

36. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    didn't we have musgrave here with saban?none of those names really excite me.karl has done a good job with the guys we brought in at wr so i would rather keep him in that position.

37. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jimmy Raye- god help us Karl Dorrell? no

38. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    John Rasmdall, But, since Sparano this upcoming season is playoffs or bust, And to me he is still a lame Duck even with the extension. He would need a proven guy.

39. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    There is also the possibility that we are waiting for the playoffs to end so we can grab one of their OC's too. That might explain the delay.

40. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Jimmy raye? Wtf?